Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

nawledgelambo posted:

so since we're on the topic of refunds and that whole data collection that bit CIG in the rear end, I figure now would be a good time tell everyone that a source tells me that if you have gotten/requested a refund, you are essentially blacklisted, and purchasing a ship in the future may be problematic if the game ever comes out (lol)

Gargantuan lols if you think CIG will ever refuse money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

aleksendr posted:

Upcoming heavy changes for StarMarine !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrWgLMH8yRU

That's not very nice, destroying the fidelicious SC outpost :colbert:

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Daztek posted:

darn, CIG finally killed the grey market???

The grey market won't die gradually, it will be instantaneous. Whenever the confidence scam finally dissolves supply will explode by 100x while demand hits 0 and all past prices are immediately invalidated.

The only sales at that point will be like the Star Citizen equivalent of those guys that went around buying Mt Gox bitcoin holdings from people at reduced rates because they thought they were taking advantage of other people and would profit for buying $10,000 Mt Gox dollars for $2,000, when really they are just throwing away $2,000 to cut the loss of someone else from $10,000 to $8,000.

The people who have huge stockpiles of ships that run stores on the star citizen ship trading reddit are probably already hosed

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

nawledgelambo posted:

so since we're on the topic of refunds and that whole data collection that bit CIG in the rear end, I figure now would be a good time tell everyone that a source tells me that if you have gotten/requested a refund, you are essentially blacklisted, and purchasing a ship in the future may be problematic if the game ever comes out (lol)

And I can't explain the depths of despair that I feel about being blacklisted from a dumpster fire )

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

Gargantuan lols if you think CIG will ever refuse money.

Right, right now they'll suckle dry every last human being on earth, but if they ever make a launch and it becomes an actual product, well.. guess what guy, we remember you!

also im just passing this along - whether or not they hold to it, who knows, just know its legit

nawledgelambo fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 17, 2017

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

nawledgelambo posted:

Yeah, Best Buy blacklisted me too when I returned a TV to them 6 years ago and now I'm barred from ever setting foot on the premises.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Space Crabs posted:

The grey market won't die gradually, it will be instantaneous. Whenever the confidence scam finally dissolves supply will explode by 100x while demand hits 0 and all past prices are immediately invalidated.

The only sales at that point will be like the Star Citizen equivalent of those guys that went around buying Mt Gox bitcoin holdings from people at reduced rates because they thought they were taking advantage of other people and would profit for buying $10,000 Mt Gox dollars for $2,000, when really they are just throwing away $2,000 to cut the loss of someone else from $10,000 to $8,000.

The people who have huge stockpiles of ships that run stores on the star citizen ship trading reddit are probably already hosed

Last time I checked the grey market already looked hosed. Hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of accounts and ships out there at 70~80% of cost and no one buying. The "I'll just sell my ships on the grey market if things start looking too bad" line is loving retarded and is just another lie that backers tell themselves to justify their continued involvement in this shitshow.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

Krycek posted:

Yeah, Best Buy blacklisted me too when I returned a TV to them 6 years ago and now I'm barred from ever setting foot on the premises.

the difference being Best Buy is an actual company that sells products, and hasn't been found to collect data based on customer interactions

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Wiz posted:

Star Citizen: it's stupid, cruel and wasteful.

;).

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

nawledgelambo posted:

I think Sarsapariller might have something to say about this rumor!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Titanic posted:

This is exactly the kind of stuff you want to hear from people claiming to be making breakthrough new technology in the MMO market.

"For the last 10 years I've been rebuilding the same non-MMO game over and over and over. Sure, I'm totally capable of building a cutting edge MMO the likes of which Internet communications itself will need to be re-engineered from ground up to support."

Erin Roberts is so far out of his depth just like his brother. Looking forward to the eventual MVP full of nearly nothing! :homebrew:

You know why we couldn't deliver SC? It wasn't the Goons. It wasn't Derek. The Internet isn't built right to accommodate it's majesty. So we are launching a new KickStater for CitizeNet .01. This will accommodate all your CIG gaming needs. Our first stretch goal is to help you find housing, so, when you inevitably move to one of the cities where our Space Data Centers are located, since a CitizeNet cable can only go so far from a Space Data Center. Our second stretch goal is our WankPod class CIG apartments. Each one will be comfortingly womb-like in size and guarantee you a max speed CitizeNet connection AND a SLIDING SPACE DOOR! Each hallway will feature an authentic replica Big Benny's machine, all of which are sadly non-functional due to the agonizing costs of the Vanduul War.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Who the gently caress will buy another racer :psyduck:

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

But... But.. it might be BETTER

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Thanks for that post. It was very informative for someone who doesn't really understand game development ;).

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
The racing is the best bit of Star Citizen especially if you imagine the commentator is commenting on the game in general OH THIS IS A DISASTER!

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

peter gabriel posted:

The racing is the best bit of Star Citizen especially if you imagine the commentator is commenting on the game in general OH THIS IS A DISASTER!

Did you ever do any racing videos?

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

Daztek posted:

http://weekender.pcgamer.com/whats-on/developer-stage

Fun and engaging gameplay, something CIG is very good at

I think the gaming industry IS highly anticipating the 'release' of these two products, but not for the reasons SC backers think.

I think the gaming industry will enjoy making/reading the scathing reviews of the janky, bug-ridden, grossly mismanaged mess that is 'SC release 1.0' - it will serve as a very good example of what can happen when a project doesn't have any competent oversight, like you get when a publisher has control, or indeed anybody that actually knows what they're doing.

SC release 1.0 will probably* have very nice graphics though.

*If RSI aren't forced to sacrifice 'fidelity' in order to obtain reasonable performance

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Titanic posted:

They're gonna bake as much of their goals into the FPS portion as possible I'm going to bet.

From mining to trade, it can all be handled via the FPS interface, talking to some stationary npc, or interacting with some kind of world node.

Players can build houses or whatever too. Camps, explore the vast reaches of deserts like in Mass Effect 1.

The space stuff, all the fleet action and command centers and multi crew either won't be built or will be tacked on and barely function. I think we're going to see a huge shift from building out the space game to a big focus on instanced planet zones. You could even do some kind of "pick your landing spot" from a map and watch a cool cutscene of your ship coming in to land, or walk on it as it autopilots to the landing pad/site.

Space isn't going to get much deeper than an arena shooter that's mostly broken. The FPS stuff though can be really built out. It's not new tech and probably most anything they could dream up has already been solved in some fashion by genuinely smart developers who posted their tutorials online.

I generally agree with you on most topics, but not this one. At this point, with the management mess and the close to breaking coding team, I figure we would only get something relatively comparable to Space Bunnies Must Die. I have played some truly horrible games in my years of gaming, and that holds, in my pantheon, the title for the worst game I have ever seen or played. And, yes, before you ask, I did purchase at full retail (hoping for the sort of stupid but fun game action given by things like Redneck Rampage). It didn't even come close.

At this point, I am completely unable to underestimate the power of CIG to make a buggy, derivative crapfest, no matter what genre they shoot for.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Daztek posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuIlttyf_N0

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Ponzi posted:

I think the gaming industry IS highly anticipating the 'release' of these two products, but not for the reasons SC backers think.

I think the gaming industry will enjoy making/reading the scathing reviews of the janky, bug-ridden, grossly mismanaged mess that is 'SC release 1.0' - it will serve as a very good example of what can happen when a project doesn't have any competent oversight, like you get when a publisher has control, or indeed anybody that actually knows what they're doing.

SC release 1.0 will probably* have very nice graphics though.

*If RSI aren't forced to sacrifice 'fidelity' in order to obtain reasonable performance

I cant imagine all the mocking and easter eggs that will happen as tributes.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

What... the gently caress... is wrong with these people??!?

'I know it looks as though CIG has been repeatedly trying and failing to make a game for the past 5 years but that's just because our puny little brains can't comprehend the true complexity of what's happening. Basically, Chris Roberts and all at CIG exist in a higher plane of being than we can ever aspire to. You need to ignore what your brain is telling you and throw your full belief behind the dream. These people are scientists and pioneers and will one day be remembered alongside the greats...

Archimedes, Newton, Roberts.'

I don't know why I took the time to parody the post when his may well be crazier than mine.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
sq42 script is still being written:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/122770360?t=01h08m08s

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Wrecked Angle posted:

Although we've all had a laugh following the Star Citizen thread, let's remember that mental illness is a mental, behavioral or emotional disorder (excluding developmental and substance use disorders) resulting in serious functional impairment, which substantially interferes with or limits one or more major life activities. Examples of serious mental illness include major depressive disorder, schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

nawledgelambo posted:

the difference being Best Buy is an actual company that sells products, and hasn't been found to collect data based on customer interactions

Well, there's that :smugndar:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Daztek posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuIlttyf_N0

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Wrecked Angle posted:

100k players per instance...
Archimedes, Newton, Roberts.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

100k people in an instance? Did he say that with a straight face?

I no longer feel any kind of sympathy for these berks in any shape or form.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
Old code...

MAX_PLAYES_PER_INSTANCE = 24

New code

MAX_PLAYES_PER_INSTANCE = 100000+

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

the easiest way to relate to a backer on this one is to not see it as a purchase of a racer but answering a question.

"Is Star Citizen Good?" answering yes is the purchase of the sale item. answering No is not spending money.

You can plug "Is the Dream Real?" or "Will I be happy in my Alternate Life in the Verse" for the question but buying sale items are just validations for their opinions at this point. Probably <10% of the buyers even look at the ship itself.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

100,000 player instances...

I'm pretty sure this is Erin testing boundaries, because deep down he can't believe just how gullible these loving chumps actually are.

e: when Trump produces his tax returns I'll produce mine :colbert:

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 17, 2017

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

aleksendr posted:

Upcoming heavy changes for StarMarine !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrWgLMH8yRU

Yeah but to be fair, that game has been in development for what, 60? 70 years? Not really fair to compare it to one that has only had a year.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Wrecked Angle posted:

'I know it looks as though CIG has been repeatedly trying and failing to make a game for the past 5 years but that's just because our puny little brains can't comprehend the true complexity of what's happening. Basically, Chris Roberts and all at CIG exist in a higher plane of being than we can ever aspire to. You need to ignore what your brain is telling you and throw your full belief behind the dream. These people are scientists and pioneers and will one day be remembered alongside the greats...

Archimedes, Newton, Hubbard, Roberts.'

I don't know why I took the time to parody the post when his may well be crazier than mine.

FIFY

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I must say, I am lolling at the idea of having to flick my hands under a hot water tap like a cat, as my Hot faucet produces such outrageously steaming hot water if I don't also run the Cold to temper it out (which if run by itself is glacially cold).

e: I guess with two taps you put down the stopper and fill the sink and wash your hands in it like a little basin? :shrug:

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

cool new Polack jokes posted:

I must say, I am lolling at the idea of having to flick my hands under a hot water tap like a cat, as my Hot faucet produces such outrageously steaming hot water if I don't also run the Cold to temper it out (which if run by itself is glacially cold).

e: I guess with two taps you put down the stopper and fill the sink and wash your hands in it like a little basin? :shrug:

There's separate taps like this in various places in the UK. It's just as terrible as you imagine it to be.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Wiz posted:

There's separate taps like this in various places in the UK. It's just as terrible as you imagine it to be.

Can we get a "separate taps" utility slot for our ships in the next Stellaris update please and thanks

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Has anyone said Chris Roberts is the Donald Trump of game devs? so many parallels with the rise to their positions, massive Krugar Dunning factor, both the epitome of lovely/meddling/micromanaging bosses that are way out of their depth, scamming shitlords dumb enough to probably believe their own nonsense, narcissism, out of touch, armies of mindless minions, this list just goes on...

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Beet Wagon posted:

Can we get a "separate taps" utility slot for our ships in the next Stellaris update please and thanks

Separate taps are cool. In a loving bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

tooterfish posted:

100,000 player instances...

I'm pretty sure this is Erin testing boundaries, because deep down he can't believe just how gullible these loving chumps actually are.

e: when Trump produces his tax returns I'll produce mine :colbert:

This is also coming from a guy that spent his formidable years making copypasta Lego games. So there's that.