Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
So basically, the Wii U of games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Lurdiak posted:

When I asked why the Pugmeat mod gave the pug a huge dick, the modder shrugged and said the model he used was already like that and he didn't feel like fiddling with dog genitals for hours. But before that, a helpful nexus regular scolded me for not understanding the importance of verisimilitude.

Putting the meat in Pugmeat. :stonkhat:

Edit: I did not think those words through. Also, there's probably a mod for that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

So basically, the Wii U of games?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

The gamebryo graphics were really, really dated by 2010, and a lot of people didn't like not starting in a vault. But more than that, I honestly think the game wasn't marketed much at all by Bethesda. Their marketing very much gave the feeling that this was a side game, not a "real" Fallout. It also came out pretty soon after 3, so there wasn't as big a jones for a new Fallout as there was with 4.

Also it was super buggy on release, which didn't help any of this.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

CascadeBeta posted:

Nick Valentine is a fun character.

My first experience with Nick Valentine involved three things in rapid succession: Recognizing the same VA Bethesda has used for every goddamn character in every goddamn game for the past several years who doesn't even try to change his voice, having him replace my drunken drug-infused Irish Power-Fisted brawler with a decrepit robot carrying a pea shooter, and then having him bitch at me for stealing a desk fan.

Nick got the boot pretty quickly thereafter.

As for the talk about New Vegas, yeah, the marketing was pretty awful. I didn't even hear about it until it was already out, and then even, it looked awful in promo vids and such. I remember very clearly thinking "This is against ALL of my better judgement..." as I bought it, hoping against hope that it might redeem the mess that was Fallout 3 despite the shoddy premise, engine, graphics, and environment. Fortunately, I was one million percent wrong and NV wound up being one of my favorite games of all time. I definitely felt like I was taking a pretty big chance when I bought it, though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
New Vegas sold pretty well
http://www.ggsgamer.com/2010/11/08/bethesda-announce-record-sales-figures-for-fallout-new-vegas/

I'm not sure there was any sort of failure that needs explanation. It did come out relatively shortly after FO3 (2 years) and the engine looked basically the same.

F04 was 5 years after NV and looked very different (not to mention being a proper sequel, not a side-story). So it's not a surprise FO4 had more buzz and sold more units, but NV hardly did poorly or anything.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I would be down for some brave group to try and recreate FNV with the Fallout 4 version of the engine now.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Backhand posted:

My first experience with Nick Valentine involved three things in rapid succession: Recognizing the same VA Bethesda has used for every goddamn character in every goddamn game for the past several years who doesn't even try to change his voice, having him replace my drunken drug-infused Irish Power-Fisted brawler with a decrepit robot carrying a pea shooter, and then having him bitch at me for stealing a desk fan.

Nick got the boot pretty quickly thereafter.

As for the talk about New Vegas, yeah, the marketing was pretty awful. I didn't even hear about it until it was already out, and then even, it looked awful in promo vids and such. I remember very clearly thinking "This is against ALL of my better judgement..." as I bought it, hoping against hope that it might redeem the mess that was Fallout 3 despite the shoddy premise, engine, graphics, and environment. Fortunately, I was one million percent wrong and NV wound up being one of my favorite games of all time. I definitely felt like I was taking a pretty big chance when I bought it, though.

Stephen Russell has actually only done 3 Bethesda RPG titles, voicing a few characters I was surprised to learn were him (Most Named and Generic Handy's/Gutsy's, Harold) and perhaps most famously for providing the signature voice of Thief protagonist Garrett (not including the latest Thief game because why bother when your game sucks).

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
What settlement building mods do you chaps use? Last time I was playing I used Snap'n Build 1.9, but the creator has abandoned it.

I did look at Snappy HouseKit and whilst it looks like it can make some really cool structures, it's a pain to use.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Faded Mars posted:

So I see that there are projects like Skywind and Skyblivion out there.

What are the chances of a similar team coming together to move FO3/NV over to Fallout 4? I did a bit of googling which mostly brought up year-old Reddit posts from before the SDK release and whatnot saying it was impossible due to scripting differences and the like. But surely these differences also exist between Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim and those projects are still moving forward.

Is there any ambitious mod team out there going for something like this? Even with mods and new textures and all that, on my most recent playthrough of NV I really started noticing just how old it is and I'm sure many others feel the same.

As much as I hate to link to reddit, there are actually some people working on this who posted new stuff for the first time just a couple days ago. You can go check it out if you want, though it's very clearly in the early stages. I might normally not post it but the dude who made that and put up the images worked on Project Brazil and regardless of your feelings towards that mod it means he has what it takes to see a large project through to completion.

Magmarashi posted:

Stephen Russell has actually only done 3 Bethesda RPG titles, voicing a few characters I was surprised to learn were him (Most Named and Generic Handy's/Gutsy's, Harold) and perhaps most famously for providing the signature voice of Thief protagonist Garrett (not including the latest Thief game because why bother when your game sucks).

Yeah Russel has pretty good range; though Valentine and Belethor are both characters that everyone who has played both FO4 and Skyrim will have run into and both sound fairly distinct on their own, so I can see why people would be able to spot that one really quickly. I was surprised to learn how much he voiced too though, which is generally the sign of a good VA.

Think Thin!
Sep 17, 2006

Lockback posted:

New Vegas sold pretty well
^^
This
not sure what kind of crazy-pills revisionist fuckworld the last page was inhabiting

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Think Thin! posted:

^^
This
not sure what kind of crazy-pills revisionist fuckworld the last page was inhabiting

Yeah. Nowadays you find a lot more people discussing New Vegas than Fallout 3 anyways. It sold fine, and lots of people like it.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
I never knew I needed a sexy Hancock mod before this thread. How is Fallout 4 modding doing? It was a bit painful to deal with when last I tried sometime around summer. Mod managers, the in game mod browser thing. I couldn't get much of anything working.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Just tried this spawn mod: War of the commonwealth

It turns it all into a bit of a mess if I'm honest! Between Vault 111 and Sanctuary, I'm jumped by a group of Super Mutants and Hounds, and after running from those fuckers, I find a group of ferals to the west of Red Rocket, including Glowing ones and legendary putrids, to the east are Forged with power armor clad dudes... Concord is overrun with a whole mix of Ferals, having killed the Lv1 raiders situated in the town.

Then the assaultrons roll in.

I'm all for a challenge, but gently caress.

Tried dialing it all down to the minimum settings, and I got taken on by a half dozen Mole Rat brood mothers.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Yeah we don't mention it much these days, It's a bit of a YMV style clusterfuck.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

SeanBeansShako posted:

Yeah we don't mention it much these days, It's a bit of a YMV style clusterfuck.
Yeah. That was all with the default settings. I dialed it back to the minimum and it felt like nothing was really happening in the game world.

Going back to "more spawns".

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I miss Martigen.

Also while it would be cool to revisit the capital wasteland, it's not the same with all of the core gameplay gutted. Won't be able to get that back without some crazy engine hacks and even then it'll be flaky.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Mr. Crow posted:

I miss Martigen.
Oh man, that was the increased spawns mod for FO3 wasn't it? I remember wandering into one of the museums, and pissing off wayyyyy too many ferals.

I'm having a blast with the More Spawns (medium) as it adds just that extra bit of challenge without turning the game into sheer lunacy.

I do wonder if I could combine it with the war of the commonwealth mod, but with the latter on minimum settings so that I occasionally run into something that could kill me easily.

Also, I've got the PTRS-41 installed, and somehow a named Raider in Concord has .50 Incendiary version. I went full A J Rimmer shortly after standing triumphantly atop the museum with my Power Armor and minigun, only to have several explosive .50 rounds fly past my head (thanks, weapons of fate)

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Falken posted:

Yeah. That was all with the default settings. I dialed it back to the minimum and it felt like nothing was really happening in the game world.

Going back to "more spawns".

I use NPCs Travel to get more spawns, it leads to some great encounters where I find that a heavily armed raider or Gunner group has rolled up to a spot before me and I can hang back while they kill everything and hope they don't notice me.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/16987/

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Saint Sputnik posted:

I use NPCs Travel to get more spawns, it leads to some great encounters where I find that a heavily armed raider or Gunner group has rolled up to a spot before me and I can hang back while they kill everything and hope they don't notice me.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/16987/
Cheers.

I'm loving my current playthrough. Enemies are in larger numbers and hit HARD, and I hit back just as fiercely with an array of awesome mod weapons. I have to actually think about how I'm engaging these fuckers.

Also, the reload animations on these mod guns are out of this world good. I can't wait until someone makes a pack that straight up replaces alot of the guns with mod weapons but keep the stats.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Unlevelled wasteland manages to ctd my game, so does it's bro unlevelled world, I wonder what I have managed to do, in any case, its nice to have found whatever was messing my game up.
also, that more spawns mod has :
MoreSpawns-EnhancedCats : Replaces every living being in the world with a dead cat. Might break some quests.
MoreSpawns-Radroach Horror : Replaces every friendly and hostile NPC in the game with 4-5 Radroaches. Might break some quests.
Hmmmmmmm, tempting.

staberind fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 18, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Falken posted:

What settlement building mods do you chaps use? Last time I was playing I used Snap'n Build 1.9, but the creator has abandoned it.

I did look at Snappy HouseKit and whilst it looks like it can make some really cool structures, it's a pain to use.

Workshop Rearranged is my weapon of choice. Adds a lot of snap points to things, includes struts so you can sink one foundation block, run out floors, and then prop those floors up on the ground.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Backhand posted:

and then having him bitch at me for stealing a desk fan.
Weird -- for me, Nick always either said he was glad he wasn't the one carrying it, or offering to carry it, or (most often) saying "You must have a thing for antiques." (To which I invariably replied, "Yes, that's why I hang out with you, Nick.")

Anyway, Nick is the best. They certainly spent more time on him than they did on any of the other companions, and it shows.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Trilobite posted:

Weird -- for me, Nick always either said he was glad he wasn't the one carrying it, or offering to carry it, or (most often) saying "You must have a thing for antiques." (To which I invariably replied, "Yes, that's why I hang out with you, Nick.")

Anyway, Nick is the best. They certainly spent more time on him than they did on any of the other companions, and it shows.

He did say "steal". Nick doesn't like stealing.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

When you have lower affinity with companions they will make rude comments about looting junk, when its higher/maxed they will make nicer comments.

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

Pwnstar posted:

When you have lower affinity with companions they will make rude comments about looting junk, when its higher/maxed they will make nicer comments.

This is untrue.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

boneration posted:

This is untrue.

Word? I was sure that was the cause. Oh well~

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Midnight Voyager posted:

He did say "steal". Nick doesn't like stealing.
Ah, so he did. My apologies.

Maxwellsdemon
Nov 12, 2007
meh
Grimey Drawer

SeanBeansShako posted:

I would be down for some brave group to try and recreate FNV with the Fallout 4 version of the engine now.

One day I will play New Vegas without it crashing, one day.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
playing Nuka World, getting the wonderful mystery bug of Nuka Girl costume causing immediate crash to desktop, despite me having no mods that should affect it. (I think)

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Feb 19, 2017

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I've seem to hit the character limit with my mods posted near the OP, so I'll just post them on the most recent page from now on. Gives people an excuse to browse the thread!

What is cooking this week for Fallout 4 mods on the mixed bag Nexus?

A really nice looking Tomahawk melee weapon and a gruesome fetish club with a canalbalism theme if you like hitting stuff until it is dead.

The SVT-40 Soviet automatic rifle for our weekly real world gun.

Pre-War Cogsworth if you want him to look all shiny and chrome.

Atomic Warlords is some bad rear end looking Children Of The Atom themed medium style armor for both genders.

MisRae's Overalls is a mod that gives you a selection of detailed denim style overalls to wear.

Skyrim looking HUD replaces the games default HUD for something more Elder Scrolls looking.

Vaultsuit Dialogues pretty much makes the unique NPC dialogue towards Vault suits work for all of them and not just the one you got given in 101.

The RedWave player home which is essentially as fast travel friendly house boat!

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Has anyone been playing with the latest Horizon update? The change log says it replaces stimpacks placed in the world with adrenaline shots, and readds combat stimpacks as a rare find in the wild. How does that end up working out? Adding more stimpacks might take away some of the challenge but making scavenging more worthwhile has to be a plus.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

What options do I have for a pistol mod that is chambered in 10mm? I've been using the Glock 20 for ages but fancy something new. I've considered modifying the OTs-33 or P220, rechambering one of them in 10mm with the damage, fire rate and capacity to suit... but I'd honestly rather not have to.

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

CascadeBeta posted:

Has anyone been playing with the latest Horizon update? The change log says it replaces stimpacks placed in the world with adrenaline shots, and readds combat stimpacks as a rare find in the wild. How does that end up working out? Adding more stimpacks might take away some of the challenge but making scavenging more worthwhile has to be a plus.

Well I'm playing with the current version and at level 11 I have found about 9 combat stimpacks total. So it's not like they are throwing them at you, plus they are slow as balls to actually do their thing. The adrenaline injectors are much more common, I have like 40. I've only used them on dumb ol' Piper who can't seem to grasp the idea of cover.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

boneration posted:

Well I'm playing with the current version and at level 11 I have found about 9 combat stimpacks total. So it's not like they are throwing them at you, plus they are slow as balls to actually do their thing. The adrenaline injectors are much more common, I have like 40. I've only used them on dumb ol' Piper who can't seem to grasp the idea of cover.

What happens when you use it on Piper? Mine shows the animation, Piper may say thank you, and I can see her health bar going up, but she doesn't actually stand up.

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

horse mans posted:

What happens when you use it on Piper? Mine shows the animation, Piper may say thank you, and I can see her health bar going up, but she doesn't actually stand up.

She won't get up until her bar's totally full up, which threw me off. I think there might be some weirdness about whether companions are currently in combat but I'm not sure, I never stimpack anyone until the shooting dies down anyway.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

boneration posted:

She won't get up until her bar's totally full up, which threw me off. I think there might be some weirdness about whether companions are currently in combat but I'm not sure, I never stimpack anyone until the shooting dies down anyway.

After trawling the thread on Nexus Mods, it looks like there's a fifteen second or so delay before they get up after being injected. So there ya go.

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow

Falken posted:

What options do I have for a pistol mod that is chambered in 10mm? I've been using the Glock 20 for ages but fancy something new. I've considered modifying the OTs-33 or P220, rechambering one of them in 10mm with the damage, fire rate and capacity to suit... but I'd honestly rather not have to.

I'm using this USP mod and it's got both .45 and 10mm as options for the receivers. This P99 mod also uses 10mm.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

CascadeBeta posted:

I found two at the start and none since. To be honest I'm not really getting any health and you need to eat a mountain of cooked food to not starve and also I have all the illnesses because there is no way to avoid them.

Survival is really a massive step down from FNV hardcore and horizon does not improve that. Also I never have more than one magazine of ammunition for anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

CascadeBeta posted:

I just re-rolled with 0.998, and after about ten hours in, I'm not sure I've seen a single combat stimpack in the wild. The balance seems to have changed quite a bit between 0.995 (the last version I played with) and 0.998. I seem to get more undamaged weapons and ammo from raiders than I'm used to.