Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Songbearer posted:

I had a match where a person I was duelling left just before I was about to kill them, was replaced by a full health bot, who then killed me.

A round passes, then I'm fighting the same bot, who gets replaced by a full health player when I was just about to kill them, who then killed me.

:suicide:

This is getting fixed in the next patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Songbearer posted:

I had a match where a person I was duelling left just before I was about to kill them, was replaced by a full health bot, who then killed me.

A round passes, then I'm fighting the same bot, who gets replaced by a full health player when I was just about to kill them, who then killed me.

I think they stated they're going to change it so that anyone who leaves/joins in replaces the replaced with a dead body.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Do we know if something is suppose to happen if one faction gets pushed back all the way to their base? I mean it got pretty close there for the Samuria a couple of rounds back. Vikings seem to be the lowest in terms of people repping them because there's almost no resistance put up on their fronts at all.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Songbearer posted:

They're patching that so the bot will spawn dead instead. (Not perfect IMO but better than a full health bot!)

E: Beaten like a Slammurai

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Last I checked vikings were dominating, but maybe that's changed?

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

panda clue posted:

This would get abused to the moon and back. Come on, you know how people on the internet are. No one is going to altruistically queue up to help some poor random sap.

Youtube is full of gamer guides from high- and mid- level players teaching others how play almost any game. And fighting game players are absolutely one of the most evangelical groups out there (both for good and bad).

Also how the heck would this be "abused to the moon and back"? You're given 5 minutes in a round with some guy with the option to continue. Either of you can quit any time. I mean, what the hell is going to get abused?

Also, I clearly said that leaving the game is a symptom of not having fun and (anecdotal, to be sure sure) when someone starts leaving games they're either close to quitting for the night or quitting permanently. What these MLG scrub-stomps are actually doing is killing the playerbase in real time.

Anyway you're not going to convince me and coming up with weak arguments like "people won't help each other" when they use a huge video platform to do just that and there are plenty of people who coach teams in real life for no pay is asinine. It just protects the lovely status quo that you love so much. Whatever.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

panda clue posted:

Level has nothing to do with skill. Most of the highest level people just spammed bot matches.

Yeah that's a fair point I suppose, especially in modes that don't let you bring your high rank gear along :shobon:

Reclaimer posted:

Knights and samurai were all about sneaky underhanded poo poo whenever they could get away with it, this honor crap is revisionism and chivalry was always just an ideal rather than anything practical.

Vikings had dudes that wore uniforms specifically so that even their friends would know they were fair game in a fight.

Wasn't chivalry made up for knights because "Holy poo poo you're fight atop a horse you're gonna need some special rules to handle this insanity"?

Songbearer posted:

Does anyone here actually abide by honoarabu duelabikahara-san unspoken rules? In most game me and my pals are horrible opportunists but in For Honour we've found ourselves allowing teams to 1v1 the person they're duelling when they're the last person standing if they allow the same for us first. Not all the time though, but sometimes.

We all dogpile the victor afterwards though.

I try to, yeah. But if the enemy bum rushes my buddy then yeah gently caress it everyone gonna get got. If it's still a 1v1, I'll keep mashing whatever emote I got that lets me kneel on the ground :v:

Duder X posted:

Also valk has been my main, so I'm stoked to see some buffs coming.

(Haven't seen this link but also only read the last two pages: https://www.reddit.com/r/forhonor/comments/5uihyo/upcoming_gameplay_improvements/?st=izaaue2y&sh=53560093)

Yesss I like the sound of these Valkyrie buffs

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
if people complain about environmental kills (or really anything), i'll 2v1. otherwise i'm content to let 1v1s go on.

this is only in 2v2s. 4v4s i've never even seen a team even pretend to be honorable or whatever, and i've never expected it.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Capn Beeb posted:

Wasn't chivalry made up for knights because "Holy poo poo you're fight atop a horse you're gonna need some special rules to handle this insanity"?

Most knights fought on foot anyways, in either configuration they were the main battle tank of their era since they were mostly fighting at best lightly-armed and armored peasants who stood no chance at killing them. Knights would generally avoid killing other knights in battle, capturing them instead so they could ransom them back to their lords (since they were nobility and worth more alive than dead). Mostly they would just focus on padding their KDR by smiting the poo poo out of peasants, using their own retinue as bonus ablative armor.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Reclaimer posted:

Mostly they would just focus on padding their KDR by smiting the poo poo out of peasants, using their own retinue as bonus ablative armor.

Please write The Gamer's Guide to History, I beg of you.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Also how the heck would this be "abused to the moon and back"? You're given 5 minutes in a round with some guy with the option to continue. Either of you can quit any time. I mean, what the hell is going to get abused?

By people just joining to wreck people that are guaranteed to be bad at the game, and wasting their time? It's not like you would magically pop in and out of the game in a 10 second window; you would waste several minutes each time you encountered someone doing this. People would absolutely do it just to waste others' time. People in this thread would absolutely do it.

Anyway you're not going to convince me and coming up with weak arguments like "people won't help each other" when they use a huge video platform to do just that and there are plenty of people who coach teams in real life for no pay is asinine. It just protects the lovely status quo that you love so much. Whatever.

Why are you trying to compare making a youtube video for profit and queuing for a 'help noob' mode in the game for no reason other than the kindness of your little heart? They aren't related in the slightest.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

panda clue posted:

By people just joining to wreck people that are guaranteed to be bad at the game, and wasting their time? It's not like you would magically pop in and out of the game in a 10 second window; you would waste several minutes each time you encountered someone doing this. People would absolutely do it just to waste others' time. People in this thread would absolutely do it.

I guess "Rate This Coach" and removing coaches from the queue with a bunch of disconnects and a low rating is just too hard to implement. Welp, let's just smash people's faces and ban them from the game they paid for if they don't like it. Guys like you are why fighting games never get the success they deserve.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

someone posted an example of purple gear (that you get after rep 3 I think?) unclear if this is the highest level stuff but yeah the 4v4 modes are gonna be something different entirely when everyones running around in this poo poo

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
most people who are earnestly good at things don't spend their time antagonizing people trying to get better at that thing. all you'd need was a passable set of criteria for the coach.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

I guess "Rate This Coach" and removing coaches from the queue with a bunch of disconnects and a low rating is just too hard to implement. Welp, let's just smash people's faces and ban them from the game they paid for if they don't like it. Guys like you are why fighting games never get the success they deserve.

Your arguments might hold a little more weight if they weren't held down by incessant sarcasm, pointless insults, and non-stop strawmanning.

No one said anything about banning anyone. There is a practice mode in the game already that is actually quite verbose, and if you want more than that you can go to youtube like you already said. There is no reason for them to waste development time on a terrible idea like this that will, at best, benefit a very small portion of the playerbase, and at worst annoy a very large portion.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

most people who are earnestly good at things don't spend their time antagonizing people trying to get better at that thing. all you'd need was a passable set of criteria for the coach.

You don't have to be 'earnestly good' to want to troll people. Is the argument here literally 'well surely people won't abuse a system in a videogame that is easily abusable'? Really? No matter what 'guards' they put up, people will try to find ways around it just to troll, and it would be mostly a waste of development resources.

panda clue fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 17, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Yeah and you could give the coach rewards contingent on getting a good rating. Some people would still be dicks, but you could weed them out.

Trying to remember, I know there's games that have done a mentor system before, but I can't think of which.

panda clue posted:

Your arguments might hold a little more weight if they weren't held down by incessant sarcasm, pointless insults, and non-stop strawmanning.

No one said anything about banning anyone. There is a practice mode in the game already that is actually quite verbose, and if you want more than that you can go to youtube like you already said. There is no reason for them to waste development time on a terrible idea like this that will, at best, benefit a very small portion of the playerbase, and at worst annoy a very large portion.

Chill panda man.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Yes they do, go onto twitch or wherever man, it's like ever-present.

There was a guy who was top 500 in Overwatch who purposefully tanked his SR to Bronze, and then dicked on people in Bronze for no reason then wanting to be a dick.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

If they had a good MMR system it would work fine. A mid-level player could coach absolute beginners, a higher-tier guy could coach mid-tier guys.

Of course people would do it because they would get ego strokes here or on Reddit or the official forums or w/e. And if you got enough 5 star ratings you got a special emblem or whatever.

Like, this is basic stuff that can actually solve the problem of people actually quitting because the skill gap is so high they don't understand what's actually happening and the tutorials are wholly inadequate, but instead it's "git gud" and "this is how fighting games culture works (a culture that has failed to make fighting games anything more than a niche genre)"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Indecisive posted:

someone posted an example of purple gear (that you get after rep 3 I think?) unclear if this is the highest level stuff but yeah the 4v4 modes are gonna be something different entirely when everyones running around in this poo poo

That looks really nice. I don't honestly know if I'd want to give up all that stamina cost reduction, but I guess depending on how the math works out it'd be worth it for that much attack and defense.

But either way that looks pretty and you could always transmog it onto something else.

I'm trying to rank up reputation so I can get better looking gear and pimp my knight/samurai/vikings. I've finally got some cool blue drops but haven't seen any purps.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Like, this is basic stuff that can actually solve the problem of people actually quitting because the skill gap is so high they don't understand what's actually happening and the tutorials are wholly inadequate, but instead it's "git gud" and "this is how fighting games culture works (a culture that has failed to make fighting games anything more than a niche genre)"

Fighting games are niche because you're thrown into a 1v1 situation where people get angry that they can't find reasons to blame their losses on someone else, so they blame the game. MOBAs and FPS have mass appeal because people can blame their teammates (and they do, constantly) rather than trying to admit they could improve themselves.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Please write The Gamer's Guide to History, I beg of you.

I only meant to describe how most things "honorable" actually had a financial motive behind them, but that's a pretty good idea. Gonna have to make sure someone hasn't already done it first though.

First things first, gotta change "retinue" to "personal gank squad of hired mercenaries".

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Reclaimer posted:

I only meant to describe how most things "honorable" actually had a financial motive behind them, but that's a pretty good idea. Gonna have to make sure someone hasn't already done it first though.

First things first, gotta change "retinue" to "personal gank squad of hired mercenaries".

Please refer to the advent of siege weapons as "history's first wallhackers"

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

So, is this game any good? I have 1,000+ hours in Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, so I'm interested to see how this compares. It has a poor score on Steam, but that could mean anything.

One thing I don't like is how unlockables actually seem to have an impact, based on the OP.

e: only 3p is kind of a downer too

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 17, 2017

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Phlegmish posted:

So, is this game any good? I have 1,000+ hours in Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, so I'm interested to see how this compares. It has a middling score on Steam, but that could mean anything.

One thing I don't like is how unlockables actually seem to have an impact, based on the OP.

Core combat is excellent, UI is poo poo, matchmaking is questionable, but the team already seems like they're going to be dedicated to investigating issues important to the community. Most of the bad steam scores are from people bitching about p2p gameplay without having the slightest idea what that even means or why they're bitching about it.

Gear is kinda dumb imo, but it only impacts the 4v4 modes. In 1v1 and 2v2 gear is entirely cosmetic (unless you specifically choose otherwise).

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

So, is this game any good? I have 1,000+ hours in Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, so I'm interested to see how this compares. It has a poor score on Steam, but that could mean anything.

e: only 3p is kind of a downer too

Bad score on Steam is largely due to connection and networking issues.

The unlockables have a give/take sort of stat system. One stat will increase, but another will get decreased.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Reclaimer posted:

I look forward to a better-written than I can manage treatise on how most codes of Bushido amounted to 1. Be loyal to your lord. and 2. Do whatever the gently caress it takes to win, just don't get caught. Also how the mighty Miyamoto Musashi was by many accounts one of the trolliest warriors in history, and a living antithesis to the principles of "honor" espoused in this game.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

If they had a good MMR system it would work fine. A mid-level player could coach absolute beginners, a higher-tier guy could coach mid-tier guys.

Of course people would do it because they would get ego strokes here or on Reddit or the official forums or w/e. And if you got enough 5 star ratings you got a special emblem or whatever.

Your idea is stupid and will not be implemented regardless of this, let it go.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
I love it when I get ganged-up on and they only use attacks, since it's stupidly easy to build revenge from flank attacks, but nothing makes me lose my poo poo more then when I'm fighting someone, get them to low health, and then some dipshit on my team charges in and spams light attacks. Block>block>block>revenge>everyone dies :argh:

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

panda clue posted:

Fighting games are niche because you're thrown into a 1v1 situation where people get angry that they can't find reasons to blame their losses on someone else, so they blame the game. MOBAs and FPS have mass appeal because people can blame their teammates (and they do, constantly) rather than trying to admit they could improve themselves.

This. 1v1 in for honor has become the other player is no honor or their character is op. No way the losing party is at fault.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
If you're coming to this game then it's almost entirely for the combat mechanics and light character customisation. I'd call For Honour a "funstrating" game: There's a lot to learn and master, you'll hate yourself for all the goofs you make, you'll hate other players for appearing so much better than you. For some people the game will be a fairly shallow experience due to the fairly limited game modes and maps, but I'd say that the actual mechanics of the game and the personal experience of mastering them is more than enough to make me want to revisit it time and again.

It's a little like the earlier days of Rocket League in that superficially there's not much to the game, but the skill ceiling is incredibly high to the point that experts at this game might as well be precognitive magicians from outer space. For me, the godawful UI, menus and connectivity fuckery still aren't enough to take the wind out of the sails of a pretty compelling style of gameplay, it very much feels like something I've never played before and that's a pretty laudable achievement.

E: Also a poo poo ton of reviews on STEAM are just bitching about connectivity issues (Present but not to the point they render the game unplayable - 20 hours and they've not given me more than a few seconds of grief) and pay-to-win whining which just blows my mind because stats and feats are really not a huge deal in this game. Most modes don't even support them, and in the few modes that do, being a better player easily trumps whatever minor incremental bonus people have given themselves.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 17, 2017

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

Keegers posted:

This. 1v1 in for honor has become the other player is no honor or their character is op. No way the losing party is at fault.

The fgc chuckles darkly as its writhing tendrils wrap around the neck of this new game.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I really respect an opponent who is majorly outclassed by me, but insists on trying to learn instead of just bitching. If I unleash a killer combo that basically leaves them dead before they can land a hit on me (because I parry their hits and then hammer them with another fast combo), it makes me so happy when the person I just whomped asks me for tips to avoid that happening. I'll happily rematch them and tone down my tryhard attitude to help them realise it's not about a class being OP or unbeatable. It's about using combos you know work well, and assessing what your enemy does so you can counteract it with a different set of combos.

If I notice an enemy is super bad at teching guard breaks, I'll add guard breaking into my combos. If I notice a guy is awesome at teching guard breaks, I'll only guard break when I know it's guaranteed to land (like after a parry or if they dodge I'll grab them quick). If they're a parrying king, I'll throw feints into the mix to leave them open to a few light attacks or a grab. It's a really chill feeling when you get to pass that knowledge onto another person and see them flourish in just a few rounds.

If - however - my opponent immediately goes into a bitching tirade after I parry his unblockable by claiming I'm using bugs or the game is broken, it'll just fuel my desire to smash his face in and not give him any leeway.

I personally think a lot of high level players would queue up in a "Coach" matchmaking system. At the end of the day, I'd be happier coming across tougher opponents. It would help me personally grow my own skill. It's not fun when you're just constantly joining matches that are curbstomps. I learn nothing, the act of owning them becomes stale. If anything, it leads to toxic behaviour because that's the only satisfaction you can gain from hammering them to death. Some days I feel like teaching, some days I feel like learning. If that Coach option was there, I'd regularly queue up for a few rounds just to help a lil babby out.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

FunkMonkey posted:

I look forward to a better-written than I can manage treatise on how most codes of Bushido amounted to 1. Be loyal to your lord. and 2. Do whatever the gently caress it takes to win, just don't get caught. Also how the mighty Miyamoto Musashi was by many accounts one of the trolliest warriors in history, and a living antithesis to the principles of "honor" espoused in this game.

Musashi was a griefer par excellence, and Bushido was invented as propaganda after samurai were already obsolete to sugar-coat the war-torn past into something that the masses could be proud of. Samurai actually preferred to camp spawn-points with their longbows and only got into swordfights if they forgot their aimbots that day. Again their totally OP armor ensured they could seal-club with impunity even if they got forced into melee, though there wasn't as much value in being kept alive so they'd try and GTFO if it looked like they might lose for some reason.

Reclaimer fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 17, 2017

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Songbearer posted:

If you're coming to this game then it's almost entirely for the combat mechanics and light character customisation. I'd call For Honour a "funstrating" game: There's a lot to learn and master, you'll hate yourself for all the goofs you make, you'll hate other players for appearing so much better than you. For some people the game will be a fairly shallow experience due to the fairly limited game modes and maps, but I'd say that the actual mechanics of the game and the personal experience of mastering them is more than enough to make me want to revisit it time and again.

It's a little like the earlier days of Rocket League in that superficially there's not much to the game, but the skill ceiling is incredibly high to the point that experts at this game might as well be precognitive magicians from outer space. For me, the godawful UI, menus and connectivity fuckery still aren't enough to take the wind out of the sails of a pretty compelling style of gameplay, it very much feels like something I've never played before and that's a pretty laudable achievement.

Simple on the surface, high skill ceiling reminds me a lot of Chiv. How visceral is it? Does it have a team objective mode/teams of more than 4?

If not for the fact that it's €59,99, which is more than I'm willing to pay for a game, I'd give it a try. As it is, I think I'll wait for a sale.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Phlegmish posted:

Simple on the surface, high skill ceiling reminds me a lot of Chiv. How visceral is it? Does it have a team objective mode/teams of more than 4?

If not for the fact that it's €59,99, which is more than I'm willing to pay for a game, I'd give it a try. As it is, I think I'll wait for a sale.

This game needs 180 back stabs and random shouting and it will be close to chiv.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Reclaimer posted:

Knights and samurai were all about sneaky underhanded poo poo whenever they could get away with it, this honor crap is revisionism and chivalry was always just an ideal rather than anything practical.

Vikings had dudes that wore uniforms specifically so that even their friends would know they were fair game in a fight.

Tangentially related, this doesn't really go anywhere, but you reminded me of an outsiders account I read about a viking jarl and his entourage.

The author visited a strong clan, extremely loyal to their jarl. The men wore embroidered leather armor, gleaming swords and nice furs. Their wives had exotic jewerly and perfumes. The honor guard or whatever escorted the visitor to a crummy looking longhouse where he met a ragged guy in humble clothing perched on a worn, old chair in front of a little fire. That was the dude in charge. That jarl had figured it out. The clan wanted a results guy. He kept them well fed and wealthy, and they'd do anything for him in return.

I mean, it's basic people management, but compared to the rest of Europe at the time, it might as well be rocket science. I like the idea of a hobo king.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 18, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Songbearer posted:

Ultimately it really is a fighting game of a new breed, and comparing it to fighting games it looks pretty good. Lots of characters, lots of customizations, good number of maps, and there's even a campaign mode. Look at Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat or Soul Calibur or whatever and there's far less to do. It'd be like if we only had 1v1 duels and no campaign.

For whatever reason I don't really get frustrated in For Honor, not like I do in say, Mortal Kombat X. Its way faster to pick up and learn but still feels just as satisfying to master.
Well, I will admit I get pissed sometimes in Dominion when one of my teammates is just completely dropping the ball. But that's kinda different.
When people beat me 1v1 though I really don't get too upset about it. Sometimes I fight them again and try to win, other times I just move along and applaud that they're a good bit better than me atm.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Double Monocle posted:

Real talk- gently caress orochi. I've never seen a game in which the best character in the game at high level is also the best at children mashing buttons level too.
Warden is close second but at least his mix-up has escapes other than blind luck.

If you're having trouble with Orochi, I recommend loading into a custom duel with a level 3 Orochi bot and practicing blocking in a stressless environment. Eventually you'll start recognizing the attack animations and it'll become easy to block all his attacks and guard breaks on reaction.

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Minorkos posted:

If you're having trouble with Orochi, I recommend loading into a custom duel with a level 3 Orochi bot and practicing blocking in a stressless environment. Eventually you'll start recognizing the attack animations and it'll become easy to block all his attacks and guard breaks on reaction.

Bots Don't Use Mixups

:frogout: