Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

elf help book posted:

ive been playing the witness less than an hour and i already jumped out my chair laughing about a puzzle

Why were you laughing ... ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
a good "you rear end in a top hat" laugh

Sockmafia
Mar 4, 2015

elf help book posted:

At the game or yourself?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sockmafia posted:

At the game or yourself?

drat, Sockmafia.

Sockmafia
Mar 4, 2015

In Training posted:

drat, Sockmafia.

Ah don't make me feel bad. I didn't mean it like that. :yikes:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

some of yall never laughed at a devious puzzle before?

Sockmafia
Mar 4, 2015
I mainly just laugh at myself when I realise how simple the solution is.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've got documented footage of me laughing at both a game and myself simultaneously

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

elf help book posted:

i really like that feel

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

got any sevens posted:

Is there a video game (portable version? Phone or ds?) of scrabble? I used to play it irl with my grams.

Yes indeed!

I had Yahtzee and Boggle on PC, too, and both were pretty fun. I think both came free on a cereal box.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

elf help book posted:

i was muttering "oh my god" and "ah that's it" under my breath to myself for like 4 hours last night

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

got any sevens posted:

Is there a video game (portable version? Phone or ds?) of scrabble? I used to play it irl with my grams.

also I can't tell if this is a joke or not, have you really not heard of words with friends?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Aston posted:

also I can't tell if this is a joke or not, have you really not heard of words with friends?

Well I don't have friends, so no. Now I'm checking it in the app store and every review says it's terribly buggy and ad-riddled, so I'll keep living without it.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I cannot wait for Puyo Puyo Tetris.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Wordfeud is like words with friends but good.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

I cannot wait for Puyo Puyo Tetris.

this, also snipperclips

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Wordfeud is like words with friends but good.

never heard of it, how it is different?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Plebian Parasite posted:

never heard of it, how it is different?
It's not by zynga and trying to get you to sign up for credit cards or whatever. There are ads in the free version but they're less obnoxious. Of course, you'll sound like the ultimate goon describing to your family members how this other app is ACTUALLY superior.

There are some other additional features like alternate dictionaries and optional randomized bonus squares but those are kinda whatever.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

the greenhouse in the witness :eyepop:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

gamer notes thread

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Not a puzzle game related note but I've been taking notes while playing Stardew valley and it's got scribbles like Corn??

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Aston posted:

I solved it by changing the color settings on my TV and i'm still not sure if that was cheating lol

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

goferchan posted:

I solved it by changing the color settings on my TV and i'm still not sure if that was cheating lol

The last puzzle before activating the laser @ Greenhouse I was stuck on for probably 10 hours total over the course of a couple weeks. Solving it was the best puzzle game feel I ever had.. Witness ftw

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

My greenhouse notes

http://i.imgur.com/kxLm8hn.jpg?1

Bonus solution to the Tetris puzzle elf is working on

http://i.imgur.com/ZRCGae9.jpg

I'm in the mountain at the end, I think I have one more laser (bamboo forest, only one more puzzle there to go) and the third hedge maze puzzle has me stumped. 4/6(?) hexagon thingies found.

According to steam I've played 20 hours of the witness since I got it on Thursday. It's one of the best games of all time.

Aston fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Feb 19, 2017

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Aston posted:

According to steam I've played 20 hours of the witness since I got it on Thursday. It's one of the best games of all time.

that's a bold claim but i would definitely say it's my favorite puzzle game i ever played .

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

I also nearly locked myself out of the tetris block area, and had to solve the entrance bridge puzzle from this angle to get back in

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=867343577

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

it pisses me off when sections have puzzles that deactivate when u do an incorrect solution. i mean i get the design reason to prevent brute forcing shiz but it was obnoxious a lot

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
i mentioned it in games you just beat thread but i just got done with The Talos Principle.

As a puzzle game its alright, some of the procedures to solve puzzles are reused (i can't count how many times I've done the 2 jammer 1 door tango), and sometimes it does some really clever stuff. Nothing out of this world but it's really good, and that's something to be celebrated.

The things that aren't puzzle though I thought were really really good, and made for one of the most depressing games ive played, but not because they make it sad and bleak and stuff, but because it talks about topics and questions that dont really have answers. There's nothing really new here, anyone who has ever wondered about mortality and humanity will have gotten to the same place at some point, but slowly piecing together the fate of humanity and actually reading all the stuff people were writing as the world was ending really hit me hard for some reason. thinking about the world ending isn't new either, but diving through an archive of the kind of things people would say when faced with The End, both the meaningful and the mundane, is really melancholic. I recommend to anyone who hasn't given it a chance and has it sitting on their backlog to give it a shot. it's not portal levels of novelty, and it's not groundbreaking philosophy either, but both combined make it a really unique and memorable game.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Aston posted:

i started the Greenhouse last night and i'm already tearing my hair out lol

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

symbolic posted:

i started the Greenhouse last night and i'm already tearing my hair out lol

The last section of that has been the best part of the game for me so far.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i really burned through the witness, started it friday night and got to the ending last night. guess i really liked it

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

ArfJason posted:

i mentioned it in games you just beat thread but i just got done with The Talos Principle.

As a puzzle game its alright, some of the procedures to solve puzzles are reused (i can't count how many times I've done the 2 jammer 1 door tango), and sometimes it does some really clever stuff. Nothing out of this world but it's really good, and that's something to be celebrated.

The things that aren't puzzle though I thought were really really good, and made for one of the most depressing games ive played, but not because they make it sad and bleak and stuff, but because it talks about topics and questions that dont really have answers. There's nothing really new here, anyone who has ever wondered about mortality and humanity will have gotten to the same place at some point, but slowly piecing together the fate of humanity and actually reading all the stuff people were writing as the world was ending really hit me hard for some reason. thinking about the world ending isn't new either, but diving through an archive of the kind of things people would say when faced with The End, both the meaningful and the mundane, is really melancholic. I recommend to anyone who hasn't given it a chance and has it sitting on their backlog to give it a shot. it's not portal levels of novelty, and it's not groundbreaking philosophy either, but both combined make it a really unique and memorable game.

talos has some of the best writing in any game i've played. the plot outline was already set in stone before the writers got there, and it really shows in some places, but i'm still very fond of it.

what did you think of the debating with the devil section in world 3?

also, did you do the bonus stars?

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

been playing the witness since i picked it up in the humble bundle last week and it is really good

ArfJason posted:

i agree with this. the writing really got to me in this game somehow, not just the premise but the philosophical questions that arise from your conversations with the library program. however I didnt find it depressing at all, in fact i found the narrative and the ending quite uplifting and optimistic despite how dark the story is. in addition to that there was also how clever and funny the game was at times, with everything put together it was a very powerfully emotional game for me

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Aston posted:

The last section of that has been the best part of the game for me so far.

if you mean the Elevator, it was cool, but it started hurting my eyes after a little while with all the different light. still a great puzzle, though.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

witness never been so happy to unlock credits and concept art holy poo poo

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

PleasingFungus posted:

talos has some of the best writing in any game i've played. the plot outline was already set in stone before the writers got there, and it really shows in some places, but i'm still very fond of it.

what did you think of the debating with the devil section in world 3?

also, did you do the bonus stars?

yeah i finished with 11, and after blazing through the campaign ive dedicated most of today to finding the stars and the additional hidden stuff, I'm already done with the first 2 worlds in terms of stars and star puzzles, and I think I have like 4 left on the last world. So far I've built the gnaar statue and found pink floyd. As for stuff I've found that I've yet to discover what exactly they mean or what to do with them are a comm transceiver on a cliff talking about the multiple questions of the sphynx, a crowbar, and a telescope thing on the egypt stages. Oh and what I assume is a shoutout to Papers Please. I've seen and done so many things today that I'm likely forgetting stuff-

with regards to the terminals in world 3 I noticed he gave me a choice of striking a deal. Since I imagined that poo poo was pivotal for something, I restored a save before it and haven't really talked to him since then. I want to finish all the content before locking myself to any alternate ending or whatever. I felt the evaluation and how it follows your thoughts through several parts of the game was pretty spot on, but it could be those kinds of tricks where the descriptions are so vague that they fit everyone (ie: you feel you could really excel if you put your mind to it, that kind of stuff). In fact I felt really cornered with some of his arguments and that felt really cool, but i imagine since philosophy is so abstract that you can have a convincing counterargument to any school of thinking or line of thought, and i wonder if its as contrarian and all his arguments are as solid should you choose different dialogue options.

extremely steampunk posted:

i agree with this. the writing really got to me in this game somehow, not just the premise but the philosophical questions that arise from your conversations with the library program. however I didnt find it depressing at all, in fact i found the narrative and the ending quite uplifting and optimistic despite how dark the story is. in addition to that there was also how clever and funny the game was at times, with everything put together it was a very powerfully emotional game for me

yeah, i feel that's what they were going with it and for me it gets there sometimes, like when you hear the scientist woman's dying words as she still believes living was worth it, but then I remember the messages, the guys who asked people not to take their suicides personally, the chat room that has a guy going "FIRST" then when the internet finally dies he goes "LAST", the fact that she never got to see her family despite reassuring them, that one blog where the author reconciles with their family for one last night together. It's all heavy poo poo, and one has to come to terms with their death and the death of humanity, but its still really heavy to have to *read* what others say when faced with such death. And also the fact that the archive of humanity is failing and getting corrupted. It's all inevitable, but imo it just makes everything that much sadder. Maybe bittersweet is the word for it? gently caress if i know im a fuckin retard who fails at piecing together tetris blocks to put the pew pew laser on the floaty fan

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
sry everyone for the big pretentious wall of aids words and spoiler text i like game

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
imp zone: it's okay to like game.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

effort in service of interesting poo poo pwns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

ArfJason posted:

sry everyone for the big pretentious wall of aids words and spoiler text i like game

thats exactly the poo poo that got to me too. and yeah its hard to put a positive spin on humanity going extinct and all of its collective history, art and memories fading into inevitable non existence because of entropy but on the other hand the technology created by humans are still alive, in the very real sense of being smart enough to replicate themselves, and they appreciate literature, art and games in the same way that humans always did, and might even pull things off better than their creators with regards to not destroying the world or themselves

there was one of the alexandra recordings that talked about her visit to pompeii and how hopeless she felt that the living city had been destroyed along with everyone's dreams and aspirations, but her dad commented that he thought the city was still alive because of all the people walking down its streets appreciating what had happened there. i think that was pretty much the central theme of the game with regards to the post-apocalyptic storyline, as the robots moving through the game world are a reflection of alexandra and her dad and all the tourists walking through the ruins of pompeii

• Locked thread