Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

TFRazorsaw posted:

Beerus's name is literally derived from beer.

How is that any less blatant?

His name is Bruce in Engrish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

TFRazorsaw posted:

His name is the best because it was going to be based on Virus before Toriyama stepped in and decided it was an alcohol pun (also he's now based on his pet cat).

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Really I kinda wish one of them was just named Alcohol.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Al for short

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
It not too late, since the Angels are also alcohol pun names, as none of the new ones have been named yet.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rirse posted:

It not too late, since the Angels are also alcohol pun names, as none of the new ones have been named yet.

Clearly, the Great Priest will be Alcohol, being the father of half the alcohols here, just like how the King and Prince of the vegetables are called Vegeta(ble).

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
goku is dumb as hell as always, but I still love the guy and this arc is cool af

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

zelah posted:

This guy is insufferable.

It's better if you pretend his goofy face isn't in the video.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

TFRazorsaw posted:

This was commissioned for air in Indonesia and other South Asian territories.

Those places getting their own unique dubs is actually weirdly common.

I could be wrong, but I believe it's mostly just cheaper to use one common second language than to make individual dubs for each primary language.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca3qvbdFSZk

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That is without question the best one so far.

Just absolutely perfect.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Not even a question. That was perfect (shut up Cell).

I definitely wasn't expecting any of these to actually get the better of Cell. I hope they have a good gag lined up to explain how Cell deals with this little problem before the gang shows up.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Gonna agree that this was the best gag in one of the better series of gags that TFS has had in a while.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

I knew exactly what would happen and it was still great.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I knew exactly what would happen and it was still great.

The second one caught me off guard and made me laugh the hardest, because it came right when I was expecting Cell to get smug about regenerating and instawin, instead of Kenshiro getting set to keep doing this all day.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

it's not canon because kenshiro would plain up murder most dbz characters.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Kenshiro is Hit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

it's not canon because kenshiro would plain up murder most dbz characters.

I mean that's basically what happened here.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Cell is most dbz characters.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

I was laughing throughout the entire thing but I started howling when Piccolo showed up 14 minutes in during the Bojack movie and it's like UNKA [GIBBERISH] IS HEEAH Piccolo: [garbled saturated unintelligible audio]

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I mean that's basically what happened here.

also he would have sent flying into a mountain with his punches. Dudes physically stronger than buu-saga goku.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Let us all enjoy the true classic Dragon Ball english dub

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XF6Swy-C8o

That is the new canon voice for Tien.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

uh so are they ever going to release the episode?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
In another two or three months, maybe.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

Isn't the story actually that he was called Virus and it shifted to Beerus because Virus is dumb. They're pronounced really really similarly in Japanese.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

yes, but like

I'm talking about what it means NOW

It's not like it once being virus makes it LESS blatant because he literally was gonna BE some kind of virus

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

TFRazorsaw posted:

yes, but like

I'm talking about what it means NOW

It's not like it once being virus makes it LESS blatant because he literally was gonna BE some kind of virus

One member of the Milk Force is named cheese.
Another is named Butter.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

VanSandman posted:

One member of the Milk Force is named cheese.
Another is named Butter.

The Milk Force led by Captain Milk.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Goku and his son, Breakfast.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

space emperor cold, and his brother, cold, and their dad, Cold (with a capital C)

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

space emperor cold, and his brother, cold, and their dad, Cold (with a capital C)

and their ancestor chill.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Let's not forget about Dr. Briefs, his wife Panties, their daughters Tights and Bloomers, and the latter's own children Trunks and Bra.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I'm glad the Multiverse Tournament will make the epic rivalry of Broccoli and Carrot canon.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Isn't the story actually that he was called Virus and it shifted to Beerus because Virus is dumb. They're pronounced really really similarly in Japanese.

I think it was that the anime staff came up with Virus, and when Toriyama got involved, he thought they were going for Beerus.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Kuroyama posted:

I think it was that the anime staff came up with Virus, and when Toriyama got involved, he thought they were going for Beerus.

I was always kind of skeptical about how much Toriyama's involvement had to do with Super's relative quality, until I read about Toei's completely awful original plan for Beerus that Toriyama went in and scrapped

raocow
Apr 23, 2007

Keen Dreams

Please give me a chance to be a better person. -Willhart
Where can one find information on said original plan? My googling is failing me right now.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

WrathOfBlade posted:

I was always kind of skeptical about how much Toriyama's involvement had to do with Super's relative quality, until I read about Toei's completely awful original plan for Beerus that Toriyama went in and scrapped

I never had any doubt. Just look at Dragtonball GT to understand what Dragonball without Toriyama is like.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I'm gonna assume Toriyama had no hand in stuff like Heroes or Xenoverse or Fusions, so DB stuff can be pretty great without him, but only when it's a celebration of the fans.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

I might be getting this completely wrong, but my impression is that Toei wanted Battle of Gods to be about a lizard-man from space who created a virus that turned the saiyans evil and was responsible for getting their planet destroyed, thus making him the ULTIMATE GRUDGE MATCH FINAL BOSS for Goku and Vegeta to beat on to redeem their species.

The only part of that which survived, after Toriyama went in and created a fun and interesting character who looked like his cat, was the fact that Beerus made Frieza destroy Planet Vegeta. Which, surprise, is the one thing everyone seems to hate about Beerus.

e: also it's less that I doubted that Toriyama makes good things and more that I assumed his contribution was "draw 2-3 designs we can use every month"

WrathOfBlade fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Momomo posted:

I'm gonna assume Toriyama had no hand in stuff like Heroes or Xenoverse or Fusions, so DB stuff can be pretty great without him, but only when it's a celebration of the fans.

He does, sort of. I know for a fact that Mira and Towa are his creations. The rest is a bit iffy how much he has any hand in.

I think he designed Demigrah from Xenoverse 1 as well.

• Locked thread