Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

I had Gal Gardner for like a year!

Why you shouting at me Rhyno?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

Why you shouting at me Rhyno?

You probably did something to deserve it.

Now get back to that stupid eraser relay poo poo they made us run in elementary school.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That was supposed to be girl guy gardner?! :stonk:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Synthbuttrange posted:

Your poor, ignorant soul.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Synthbuttrange posted:

It was Warrior Guy with boobs, what else was it supposed to be?

Yes this

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

In comics? "Red skin, tattoos, barely dressed" probably describes several dozen characters.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ImpAtom posted:

In comics? "Red skin, tattoos, barely dressed" probably describes several dozen characters.

I think it being the avatar of the goon who's had 17 Guy Gardner avatars might have been a clue!

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
The Guy Gardner ongoing series from back then was firmly in the 'better than it had any right to be' category, honestly.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
Taking away Guy's Yellow Ring was the worst thing DC ever did.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

No one read Warrior!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KaosMachina posted:

The Guy Gardner ongoing series from back then was firmly in the 'better than it had any right to be' category, honestly.

joehonkie posted:

Taking away Guy's Yellow Ring was the worst thing DC ever did.

The book had a very rough start and honestly didn't get good until the arc when he lost the yellow ring. I will agree, Guy works best with a ring and not silly alien powers.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Rhyno posted:

The book had a very rough start and honestly didn't get good until the arc when he lost the yellow ring. I will agree, Guy works best with a ring and not silly alien powers.

I just have the Guy Gardner reborn trades and I loved them. I was all like NOTHING CAN STOP GUY GARDNER NOW by the end. Hopes dashed.

In one of my son's (glorious) direct-to-video Lego Batman movies they used Guy but they promptly replaced him with a generic character named Hal somethingorother for the next ones.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Guy Gardner is without a doubt my favorite comic book character ever. Something about a heroic rear end in a top hat with an incredibly lovely childhood just speaks to me.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

Guy Gardner is without a doubt my favorite comic book character ever. Something about a heroic rear end in a top hat with an incredibly lovely childhood just speaks to me.

Try JoJo's Bizarre Adventure!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Dark Horse lost their big Star Wars license a little while ago, but gently caress it, they have Mystery Science Theater 3000 now.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I think it being the avatar of the goon who's had 17 Guy Gardner avatars might have been a clue!

I dont even remember my own avatar unless I posted.

Besides, no bowl-cut, no recognition.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Gavok posted:

Dark Horse lost their big Star Wars license a little while ago, but gently caress it, they have Mystery Science Theater 3000 now.

I was gonna post that in your licenced comics thread but it's archived. Make a new one, please :)

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Gavok posted:

Too vague to get hyped right now. "We're gonna post old public domain comics and mock the poo poo out of them" would have me very excited, "follow the exciting adventures of Joel and the Bots as they do stuff we don't have the budget for on TV" and meh, "Learn the dramatic backstory behind the Satellite of Love" and I'd leave it on the shelf forever.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CapnAndy posted:

Too vague to get hyped right now. "We're gonna post old public domain comics and mock the poo poo out of them" would have me very excited, "follow the exciting adventures of Joel and the Bots as they do stuff we don't have the budget for on TV" and I'd leave it on the shelf forever.

You left out the worst possible scenario, "thinly veiled advertisements for other comics that the bots comment over".

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Best case scenario they review Marville.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

CapnAndy posted:

Too vague to get hyped right now. "We're gonna post old public domain comics and mock the poo poo out of them" would have me very excited

There's like a billion sites that do that for free. They don't even have to be public domain.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I can't imagine this is a thing that could possibly work well in the comic book format.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

Marvel recently e-mailed me a couple of codes redeemable for digital comics:

1. Code for a free month of Marvel Unlimited. (claimed)
2. Code for digital copies of the first issues in the current volumes of Avengers, Champions, and Jessica Jones.

Since I already have a Marvel Unlimited subscription and two of the comics offered with the second code, both codes are up for grabs. If you want one, reply here and let me know which one, and I'll PM the code to you. If you don't have Platinum, leave an e-mail address and I'll send you the code, but I'm not going to promise I won't also sign you up for spam.

RhymesWithTendon fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 17, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Okay, we reeeeally need the licenced comics thread back.

quote:

Before they skyrocketed straight into the cultural zeitgeist, Funko’s Pop! vinyl figures started out for sale in comic shops. This May, they’re going back to the beginning by teaming with comic publisher IDW for a month of special one-shot comics featuring Funko versions of IDW’s iconic pop culture properties like Ghostbusters and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Funko Universe Month at IDW will primarily consist of five one-shot comics: Ghostbusters, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, The X-Files, Strawberry Shortcake, and Judge Dredd. But there will also be Funko variant covers available for that month’s issues of regular IDW titles like Back to the Future, Orphan Black: Deviations, Dirk Gently: The Salmon of Doubt, The Powerpuff Girls, Star Trek, and more.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I take back every good thing I've ever said about a comic book

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Teenage Fansub posted:

Okay, we reeeeally need the licenced comics thread back.

Literally vomiting.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'd rather see ReAction comics where everyone has to solve the mystery of their missing likenesses.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Still want that Stay Puft figure. He can fight my funko Tyrant on top of my bookshelf.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Oh, there's just no way that's going to be good.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Oh good the gb one shot isnt even written by the actual gb team so i have no reason to ever look at that

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The next big comic book character:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't understand why Funko is such a popular thing. I mean I do, because nerds love their toys, but I still don't get the appeal of these toys in particular. They just look like dumb little blobs of plastic to me.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think there are some good Funko pops, but they're all characters that are monstrous/can't be done in their standard style

This Big Daddy one looks pretty good, I think

But everything else is just the same thing copied over, with the only differences being clothes and hairs, and they just make everything look so generic.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

X-O posted:

I don't understand why Funko is such a popular thing. I mean I do, because nerds love their toys, but I still don't get the appeal of these toys in particular. They just look like dumb little blobs of plastic to me.

They cost $10 and they have everything, so someone will see something like... Blanche from the Golden Girls and say "Hey, I liked the Golden Girls and I have $10"

There are people who collect them seriously though, and even mint in box collectors. They used to have a Reddit thread cataloging which online retailers shipped with the best packaging to avoid box dents.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

X-O posted:

The easiest summary is they shotgun out licenses, they cost somewhere between $5-10 depending on where you look for them, and they aren't large enough to make you go "well that's just impractical", so a lot of folks go "Okay I'll buy a little desk caddy from (thing I like that never had any merch)".

I'm kinda predicting this is the year they crash out as a lot of my local comic shops have been cutting stock on those all of a sudden for ??? reason.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

END ME SCOOB posted:

The easiest summary is they shotgun out licenses, they cost somewhere between $5-10 depending on where you look for them, and they aren't large enough to make you go "well that's just impractical", so a lot of folks go "Okay I'll buy a little desk caddy from (thing I like that never had any merch)".

I'm kinda predicting this is the year they crash out as a lot of my local comic shops have been cutting stock on those all of a sudden for ??? reason.

Yeah, one comic book store here that would carry 100 kinds or so scaled way down to maybe 20.

But meanwhile EBGames (Gamestop) is devoting entire thirds of their stores to them.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
See, part of me wonders about all those major corporation deals they've made being part of the reason. At a local mall you can now get them from Barnes and Noble, Hot Topic, and Gamestop alone, much less the smaller selection in Target across the street.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
At least you know what's going to be turning up on "Remember the 201X years" lists in a few decades.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Doctor Spaceman posted:

At least you know what's going to be turning up on "Remember the 201X years" lists in a few decades.

Or worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Hey if there can be an emoji movie why can't there be a Funko movie. Let's run this poo poo to the ground

• Locked thread