Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AG3 posted:

I've always liked evil and terrible choices in games because even if I don't use them much, they give good choices meaning (provided the evil choices aren't trick/detrimental). It always feels better to roleplay someone good if being terribly evil is a viable option.
This is a really good post.

It also just reminded of me of when I was playing a Xenophile and ended up swamped by a whole bunch of these fast-breeding furry rat dudes on my main species' planets because I wasn't paying attention when I said yes to the migration treaty. I was locked into no purges/resettlement so I couldn't get rid of them by any standard "evil" approaches.

I genetically engineered their entire species from Ocean preference to Arctic preference and watched them all slowly gently caress off to other empires and a few freshly colonised frigid hellhole honeypot worlds. Mrs. Splicer called me "a passive aggressive monster".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

What if we genetically engineer ourselves to become the late game crisis? What if instead of apotheosis, we finally invent it's synonym and it's such an ugly word it tears a hole in the galaxy?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Splicer posted:

I genetically engineered their entire species from Ocean preference to Arctic preference and watched them all slowly gently caress off to other empires and a few freshly colonised frigid hellhole honeypot worlds. Mrs. Splicer called me "a passive aggressive monster".
seems fine to me. the rats got what they wanted and you got what you wanted.

now if it were me i would have butchered them ruthlessly and terraformed the hellholes to be good places to live so perhaps that is the lens through which we should look at this!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Splicer posted:

This is a really good post.

It also just reminded of me of when I was playing a Xenophile and ended up swamped by a whole bunch of these fast-breeding furry rat dudes on my main species' planets because I wasn't paying attention when I said yes to the migration treaty. I was locked into no purges/resettlement so I couldn't get rid of them by any standard "evil" approaches.

At least you're living up to your user name.

This does remind me of the fact that it's a little weird that you can just arbitrarily genetically modify any pops in your empire, but moving them from one planet to another is an authoritarian-only policy.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

If we don't eat the filthy xenos first they'll eat us. Today's special is hygienically prepared Blorg with parrot sauce. The chef is under strict orders to wash his hands after cooking. Nobody wants to walk around with Blorg all over their fingers.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

SO I was finishing my last game before shelving it for banks (and the new ck2 dlc lol) I was play a military dictatorship and it seems like I go through this stage where my Hyper-Lord dies at 80 and the successor is 78 and dies in a year, I even had one where the poor dude died a tick after he got elected Hyper-Lord.
I eventually fixed it after a dozen or so hyper-lords with leader age techs but it seems like I'm hemorrhaging leaders for a while since there's usually only one choice for succession.

On the up side I had so many oversized ships.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Bloodly posted:

Pops, huh? Will they build things on their world?

...There's an AI setting in the files for Stellaris that keeps primitives from doing stuff by basically turning their AI off. I should turn their AI on and see what happens.
Where abouts is that setting? I wouldn't mind turning it on myself.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

GunnerJ posted:

This does remind me of the fact that it's a little weird that you can just arbitrarily genetically modify any pops in your empire, but moving them from one planet to another is an authoritarian-only policy.

I dunno, it's kind of like gentrification vs. forced relocation. They're both about making "undesirables" go somewhere else, but the former is less immediately visible and thus easier for a more "moderate" government to get away with. Especially if you imagine genetic modification as something you can do by slipping mutagen into the water supply or something.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I dunno, it's kind of like gentrification vs. forced relocation. They're both about making "undesirables" go somewhere else, but the former is less immediately visible and thus easier for a more "moderate" government to get away with. Especially if you imagine genetic modification as something you can do by slipping mutagen into the water supply or something.

I'm having difficulty seeing the argument that forcibly rewriting someone else's DNA is something that people would be all "oh NBD" about

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Gentrification is like forced resettlement the way fines are like a death sentence

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

Where abouts is that setting? I wouldn't mind turning it on myself.

common/00_country_types.txt. Rules for general types of peoples.

I suppose you'd want to split it off as a proper mod to mess with it(I know from personal experience that screwing with '00' files directly tends to break things hard even if the original change is stupidly minor). I think that's why I didn't mess with it-fear after the last time and lack of knowledge.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Relocation should be available to everyone, with the different settings just increasing the cost to tons of influence and energy since you're forced to essentially bribe people to move, set up incentives.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

GunnerJ posted:

I always thought it'd be cool if individualists government couldn't force pops to get mods but make could make certain mods legal. The catch is that since it's an individualist empire, any available gene mod has to be open to all species, not just your favorite one.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

'Unity' points should be called 'Legacy' points, in my opinion! Seems to fit what they are better.

But the expansion is probably way too late into development for such a change.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Bloodly posted:

common/00_country_types.txt. Rules for general types of peoples.

I suppose you'd want to split it off as a proper mod to mess with it(I know from personal experience that screwing with '00' files directly tends to break things hard even if the original change is stupidly minor). I think that's why I didn't mess with it-fear after the last time and lack of knowledge.
To be honest, I'm surprised someone hasn't made a mod of it already.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I haven't watched a Stellaris Videos since the pre-release but these Starfish videos are pretty good. I'm cheering for Wiz's kind starfish.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Baronjutter posted:

I haven't watched a Stellaris Videos since the pre-release but these Starfish videos are pretty good. I'm cheering for Wiz's kind starfish.

Was this posted here already? Whatevs.

https://twitter.com/Cosmic_Arcadia/status/832290382893432833

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Is it possible to access old stellaris twitch videos on YouTube? I poked around for the starfish ones but I'm evidently terrible at the internet and couldn't come up with anything.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Is it possible to access old stellaris twitch videos on YouTube? I poked around for the starfish ones but I'm evidently terrible at the internet and couldn't come up with anything.

You want the Paradox Extra channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ParadoxExtra/videos?sort=dd&shelf_id=8&view=0

EDIT: specifically:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTImqksOIoM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIc55IWW-3s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj4tVNSwtYg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoUjzYwogV0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-Z_L5aYvQI

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Thanks so much, I appreciate it!

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Does anyone else get buggy text entry in the Empire biography after about five or so lines?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Gimmick Account posted:

'Unity' points should be called 'Legacy' points, in my opinion! Seems to fit what they are better.

This good. Will probably create a quick text mod after release to chane Unity to Legacy and Authoritarianism to Elitism.

Also I should really push the new empires for the species mod, i keep forgetting

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Still working on my blind cannibal bird monsters - now they have their own unique building types, because why not?

And by unique I mean it comes with the mod - any race could potentially have access to it. Subterranean colonies, ahoy!

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Dog Kisser posted:

Still working on my blind cannibal bird monsters - now they have their own unique building types, because why not?

And by unique I mean it comes with the mod - any race could potentially have access to it. Subterranean colonies, ahoy!

Looks awesome! Do you plan on adding this to the workshop?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Just watched the new stream. Does global food come with any new buildings to boost planetary food output, aside from the slave processing facility?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Gimmick Account posted:

It's called unity because you get more things from it the more united your empire is, which translates to how small your empire is.

A huge empire would create a bigger legacy, but the whole point of the system is to provide more boosts to small empires.

So sorry dude, but legacy is a bad name, as it implies small empires build more of a legacy than large ones, which isn't true.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Feature I'm wishing for right now: the ability to change the map colour of another empire.

My neighbour is wearing the same dress as me, this is the worst party ever.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

GotLag posted:

Feature I'm wishing for right now: the ability to change the map colour of another empire.

My neighbour is wearing the same dress as me, this is the worst party ever.

There's one way to fix that.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I don't want to do that :(

These guys are the liberated portion of the annoying racist religious starfish who'd been my rival since game start, and my federation pals and I just finished carving them up.

Speaking of, when you liberate systems(s), the newly-formed governments have the ethos of the liberator, but the populace does not. Is there a pacifism-compatible way of changing this, even if it takes a while?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Lowen posted:

Looks awesome! Do you plan on adding this to the workshop?

Sure do - just need to fix their clothing and do a name list. Aiming for release today.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Argas posted:

There's one way to fix that.

There's another!

Rename .sav file to .zip, extract gamestate, search for the colour name (list here), find the offending empire(s), change their primary colour strings, save, put back in the .zip, rename back to .sav

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Aethernet posted:

Just watched the new stream. Does global food come with any new buildings to boost planetary food output, aside from the slave processing facility?

I hope so. It'd be more fun to have some farm planets and concentrate for efficiency. Also more fun to steal from the enemy.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

GotLag posted:

These guys are the liberated portion of the annoying racist religious starfish who'd been my rival since game start, and my federation pals and I just finished carving them up.

Speaking of, when you liberate systems(s), the newly-formed governments have the ethos of the liberator, but the populace does not. Is there a pacifism-compatible way of changing this, even if it takes a while?
Not really. As of Banks, you could presumably give them huge quantities of free minerals so they can afford to up their population's standard of living, which should make them happier and thus more attracted to the Empire ethics.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

GotLag posted:

Liberate them again. Won't change their pop's ethos, but should change their color.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
I wish I could figure out how to disable frontier outposts. I'm interested in playing a game where you are forced to colonize territory in order to control it.

I've sort of found a workaround by changing influence_budget_stations = in defines.lua to zero so that the AI wont build any of them, and then just not build any myself.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

VirtualStranger posted:

I wish I could figure out how to disable frontier outposts. I'm interested in playing a game where you are forced to colonize territory in order to control it.

I've sort of found a workaround by changing influence_budget_stations = in defines.lua to zero so that the AI wont build any of them, and then just not build any myself.

You could set the build cost to 1001 influence, I guess? Since the cap's at 1000 no one can ever reach it

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Just a reminder the Goon Empire Mod exists!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=858191485

Quite a lot of dependencies at this point - but none of them should actually be mandatory, I am pretty sure empires with invalid data fail gracefully in all situations.

Still accepting new submissions: Remember to include the words SPECIES SUBMISSION in your post!

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Ok so, I love the idea of cannibalism and Delicious species and all that but it's weird as hell that it's ten times more efficient to breed sentient livestock than just... regular... livestock.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Ok so, I love the idea of cannibalism and Delicious species and all that but it's weird as hell that it's ten times more efficient to breed sentient livestock than just... regular... livestock.

The sentient species have more complex nutrients to support a proper diet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
it's also HILARIOUS.

• Locked thread