Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Please stop melting down about other people having opinions about things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
To be fair, doing the whole 99 rounds vs a level 3 Peacekeeper bot made them a whole lot less terrifying for me. Not to the point I could beat them, but more a sort of "Oh, this is what they're doing" feeling rather than "I feel violated and I don't know why"

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

panda clue posted:

Bots Don't Use Mixups

:frogout:

I'm sorry, what mixups does Orochi have? I forget

I'm not even trying to incite anything, I legitimately don't know what you mean by that because I did not see any "mixups" in his moveset

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Minorkos posted:

If you're having trouble with Orochi, I recommend loading into a custom duel with a level 3 Orochi bot and practicing blocking in a stressless environment. Eventually you'll start recognizing the attack animations and it'll become easy to block all his attacks and guard breaks on reaction.

Actually, I agree with you for once. Bots are not going to effectively mimic defense against a real player; not ever. However, it will provide a controlled environment for learning to watch their animations and not the red arrow, which is a big step forward.

Edit: and everyone needs to relax. I don't agree with you on a couple things, but this whole spat hasn't gone anywhere, and getting bogged down in it again won't accomplish anything but getting people riled up.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 18, 2017

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Minorkos posted:

I'm sorry, what mixups does Orochi have? I forget

I'm not even trying to incite anything, I legitimately don't know what you mean by that because I did not see any "mixups" in his moveset

r1+r2 on any character

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Reviving is so loving broken it drives me insane sometimes. I have to dance around a corpse for 5-6 seconds sometimes before I can actually rez someone and it costs us the fight 9 out of 10 times. What's the loving point of having quick revive when you can't even loving do it in the first place?

Also I'm starting a petition to make the throw distance stat affect Shugoki's homerun attack. I want to launch people across the map drat it.

Fresh Shesh Besh fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 18, 2017

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

panda clue posted:

r1+r2 on any character

That isn't really a mixup. I suggest you look up what the term means.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Minorkos posted:

That isn't really a mixup. I suggest you look up what the term means.

I didn't coin the term for the attack. I suggest you actually buy the game and play it against other players. You might know why it's called a mixup if you had ever seen one before.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

the thing you are describing is called a zone attack in for honor, not a 'mixup'

I'm only repeating what I've heard other people call it; I didn't even know it existed until someone showed it to me in OB. If you wanna call it something else, sure, but I'm referring to the r1+r2 attack.

panda clue fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 18, 2017

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
the thing you are describing is called a zone attack in for honor, not a 'mixup'

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

panda clue posted:

I didn't coin the term for the attack. I suggest you actually buy the game and play it against other players. You might know why it's called a mixup if you had ever seen one before.

I'm only repeating what I've heard other people call it; I didn't even know it existed until someone showed it to me in OB. If you wanna call it something else, sure, but I'm referring to the r1+r2 attack.

you're being remarkably condescending considering you're the one who is in the wrong, fyi, and is probably a large reason why people are so combative with you.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

you're being remarkably condescending considering you're the one who is in the wrong, fyi, and is probably a large reason why people are so combative with you.

:ironicat:

The name of the attack is obviously not the point being debated, but sure, you get an A+ in debate club, C- in For Honor mechanics.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
*black and white photo of angry needs yelling about minor terminology*

Fighting games, fighting games never change.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I'm afraid for a future in which my valks charging knockdown doesn't land 100% of the time, noobs just never ever dodge it. It's the only thing making her tolerable to play right now. Think it's time to actually learn some other classes now that I hit rep 1 though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

That is a zone attack yes, which can be used as a 'mixup' in fighting game terminology.

Its both. :v:

The warden's zone attack and top light are too fast to respond to and thus create a mixup. I think Orochi does too because it has the fast light and then the zone, but I don't play much orochi.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

panda clue posted:

:ironicat:

The name of the attack is obviously not the point being debated, but sure, you get an A+ in debate club, C- in For Honor mechanics.

no, the name of the attack isn't the point being debated, the issue is you're calling it the wrong thing. he was confused because you used an incorrect term and then you acted like his lack of knowing what you were talking about was the issue.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

The warden's zone attack and top light are too fast to respond to and thus create a mixup. I think Orochi does too because it has the fast light and then the zone, but I don't play much orochi.

Peacekeeper as well.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

no, the name of the attack isn't the point being debated, the issue is you're calling it the wrong thing.

Zaphod42 posted:

That is a zone attack yes, which can be used as a 'mixup' in fighting game terminology.

Guess I wasn't entirely wrong! I don't expect to change your opinion, though.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

panda clue posted:

No, you were 100% wrong, you're just being dense. A mixup is a situation where you force your opponent to guess between multiple options you have that are un-reactable. The classic SF2 example, greatly simplifed, is Low or Throw, where you either go for a low attack that will beat their throw tech or throw which will beat their block. The opponent then has to guess what you're going to do.

So in this case, you can use the Area attack and light top attacks from a few classes to create a mixup! But saying that the area attack is a mixup attack is a very misleading thing to do for anyone who understands what the word mixup means.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

the orochi zone attack is insanely slow, try it out: you can easily react to it. some zone attacks are mixups, but not all, and not all the mixups are zone attacks.

panda clue posted:

you're entirely wrong in the context of the orochi, which is what we were talking about.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
I can't believe people are getting this upset over me accidentally using the '''wrong''' term about something that I'm not even remotely trying to defend when someone said it was something else, lol. Never change, SA.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

panda clue posted:

I can't believe people are getting this upset over me accidentally using the '''wrong''' term about something that I'm not even remotely trying to defend when someone said it was something else, lol. Never change, SA.

Jeez louise I only accidentally used the, and I'm using air quotes here to indicate that I still refuse to acknowledge that I've been proven wrong multiple times and in excruciating detail, "WRONG TERM" while simultaneously being smug and condescending about it in the original post. I can't imagine why everyone thinks I'm an insufferable fuckwit!

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

panda clue posted:

i, and probably no one, care about you being wrong about a word. i do care about you being a huge rear end in a top hat about using the wrong word when someone confronted you about it.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i, and probably no one, care about you being wrong about a word.

I, too, make 4+ posts about things I don't care about.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i explained the thing i care about, but for some reason the concept of mutual exclusivity remains constantly out of your reach

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Jesus Christ neither side is going to triumph over the other so just stop please.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Would a kindgoon tell a layman such as me what "Tech" and "Mixup" mean? I'm not deep into fighting games so I genuinely have no clue.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i explained the thing i care about, but for some reason the concept of mutual exclusivity remains constantly out of your reach

I just tested the Orochi mixup in practice mode and it is exactly what I was referring to. I understand it is actually hard to see from your own perspective (I didn't 'get it' either until someone used it against me), but it displays the attack coming from a different direction than it actually is until the last second. This is incredibly hard to deal with when mixed with other combos. Go have someone use it on you to see for yourself.

I might have been wrong about every character having this behavior, but every character I've tried thus far does.

Songbearer posted:

Would a kindgoon tell a layman such as me what "Tech" and "Mixup" mean? I'm not deep into fighting games so I genuinely have no clue.

Teching is using a grab to break out of someone else grabbing you. I won't try to answer the second one out of fear of giving someone an aneurysm.

panda clue fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 18, 2017

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
The grief is coming from inside the thread

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Songbearer posted:

Tech is technology. e.g. did you use Counter-Guard Break technology

Mixup is when you mix things up and different things happen

HTH

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Songbearer posted:

Teching means cancelling the guard break by pressing the button yourself at the correct time.

Mixup is a term for making your attacks unpredictable and difficult to react to. For example, Warden is currently dominating high-level play because he has a set of two very fast attacks that he can use from neutral, his zone attack and his upper light which together form a mixup. When you play Warden, your opponent doesn't know which one of the moves you are going to execute, which forces him often to simply guess which one you will do.

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 18, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

panda clue posted:

Well its kinda a major term in fighting game mechanics so misusing it is kinda highly misleading. It implies something that isn't true.

It'd be like saying a heavy attack is unblockable when its not. Its not just semantics.

Songbearer posted:

Mixup is a situation where you can't react fast enough so you have to guess.

Like if I can hit you from the left or the right too fast for you to block, you have to block before I throw it. That means you have to guess which direction to block, and then I throw it, and if you guessed wrong you get hit, but if you guess right I get blocked and you get advantage.

Its basically a 50/50, which is another term for mixups in the fighting game community. It means making your opponent guess your next move so they might be wrong and give you an opening.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I really don't get why they didn't add some dueling social arena. Where you can idle, chat, watch people duel, challenge people, etc

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I really don't get why they didn't add some dueling social arena. Where you can idle, chat, watch people duel, challenge people, etc

Yeah its a badly needed feature. Blade Symphony has that and that's basically the only mode anybody ever played.

I'm also still shocked there's no mode where different factions actually play each other. Like all knights against all vikings. How is that not a thing? :confused:

I think Ubisoft wanted to just push the game out the door since they spent so long polishing the base fundamentals and figured doing things in updates would keep the game community going anyways.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Well its kinda a major term in fighting game mechanics so misusing it is kinda highly misleading. It implies something that isn't true.

It'd be like saying a heavy attack is unblockable when its not. Its not just semantics.

That's fair. I've unfortunately not 'clicked' with any fighting games before, so I never bothered to learn all the correct terminology until this game. I'm still learning, too! I've only heard of it referred to specifically as the mixup, I thought the zone attack was something else entirely. Sorry for any confusion I caused.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Fight Clubs?

panda clue fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 18, 2017

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Mortal Kombat 9 had a really good system where it would throw 8 people into a lobby and 2 would fight while the rest would look on in a theatre complete with curtain and they'd watch and react to the game. The winner would stay on and it'd just cycle through people. Imagine the same thing but in a roman ampitheatre :shobon:

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

panda clue posted:

That's fair. I've unfortunately not 'clicked' with any fighting games before, so I never bothered to learn all the correct terminology until this game. I'm still learning, too! I've only heard of it referred to specifically as the mixup, I thought the zone attack was something else entirely. Sorry for any confusion I caused.

congratulations you only took 10 posts of defensive bullshit to come to the conclusion you should have on the 1st

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
I feel like this got lost in the 'mix' :gerty::

mellowjournalism posted:

Is there any visual indicator for when a guard break is uncounterable? Or do you have to just know exactly what situations make you unable to counter them?

Also I think this reference should be go into the OP. Unless there is a newer one.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1571014-GUIDE-Fundamentals-of-Defense-in-For-Honor

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Indecisive posted:

congratulations you only took 10 posts of defensive bullshit to come to the conclusion you should have on the 1st

I admitted right away that I was only referring to the attack by what I had heard it referred to, actually. My actual point still stands.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So what keybinds are the good players using for mouse and keyboard, last beta I just swapped guardbreak and feint around, but feel like I'll need a mouse with a third button for ideal bindings.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Some goon in discord suggested space for GB, shift for dash, and mmb for sprint and it has been working exceptionally for me at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I don't play fighting games at all. I like this game though. Are fighting games players all as loving obnoxious as the guys feverishly waving their dicks and arguing about mix ups in this thread?