Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
madden and nhl are the only good video games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

madden and nhl are the only good video games

The Mutant League series were the only good sports games, followed closely by NFL Blitz

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

ChickenHeart posted:

The Mutant League series were the only good sports games, followed closely by NFL Blitz

dude, NBA Jam?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Haier posted:

The original PSP was garbage and homebrew barely made it better. I sold it so I could buy a DS Lite and I am very glad about that decision. 11 years later the drat thing still works without any issues, and Slot-1 and 2 flash cartridges made it one of the best systems of all time for me.

How is this an unpopular opinion lol

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

dude, NBA Jam?

I have shamed my ancestors

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The Multiplayer battle mode in Starfox 64 is more fun than anything baby's first TeamFortress 2, Overwatch, brings to the table.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Rutibex posted:

if you dislike playing with other people then why do you care about the prestige of achievements

Prestige? gently caress all that - I just hate seeing You have unlocked 49/63 (78%) displayed next to a game entry in Steam because of the stupid multiplayer achievements. I also hate achievements which require some kind of really obsessive grind to achieve, or incredibly persnickety achievements like the non-lethal run in Deus Ex HR. It's a completionist thing, not a prestige thing.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Prestige? gently caress all that - I just hate seeing You have unlocked 49/63 (78%) displayed next to a game entry in Steam because of the stupid multiplayer achievements. I also hate achievements which require some kind of really obsessive grind to achieve, or incredibly persnickety achievements like the non-lethal run in Deus Ex HR. It's a completionist thing, not a prestige thing.

Collect all the hidden documents!

1 document is in a room that you can never return to 50% of the way through the game.

gently caress THAT

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Red Faction Guerilla has a bunch of multiplayer only achievements and there are precisely 0 people online because the game is 8 years old.

"Get 5,000 points as (class)"
"Win 25 Matches"

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

CaptainSarcastic posted:

incredibly persnickety achievements like the non-lethal run in Deus Ex HR.

The only reason this is hard at all is because HR is a poorly programmed piece of poo poo that often decides that a tranq dart is enough to straight kill a dude. In the first mission where you rescue the hostages when you go through the warehouse part there's a dude smoking a cigarette off to the side and I've never been able to knock him out without the game just going "haha he's dead now." If the game worked right it would be easy as hell, even the intro (where it doesn't make any sense at all thematically not to kill the guys, but it still counts for the achievement for some reason) is set up so you can just kinda waltz through it without ever getting seen.

bag em and tag em posted:

Collect all the hidden documents!

1 document is in a room that you can never return to 50% of the way through the game.

gently caress THAT

This is so awful. I'm not even against missable items generally but don't tie that poo poo back to an achievement.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

food court bailiff posted:

The only reason this is hard at all is because HR is a poorly programmed piece of poo poo that often decides that a tranq dart is enough to straight kill a dude. In the first mission where you rescue the hostages when you go through the warehouse part there's a dude smoking a cigarette off to the side and I've never been able to knock him out without the game just going "haha he's dead now." If the game worked right it would be easy as hell, even the intro (where it doesn't make any sense at all thematically not to kill the guys, but it still counts for the achievement for some reason) is set up so you can just kinda waltz through it without ever getting seen.

This is so awful. I'm not even against missable items generally but don't tie that poo poo back to an achievement.

I had no trouble with not killing, but foxiest of the hounds. Nope..just gently caress off forever.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
On Missable Items:

However good people think Final Fantasy 12 was the game was seriously hindered by the Zodiac Weapon for the gay twink fuckboy requiring you to not open 12 random chests located randomly throughout the game. Some of them were in the initial areas where of course you are going to open a chest. Nope. If you opened any of those 12 specific chests, out of dozens scattered throughout the game, you could no longer get the gay twink fuckboy's ultimate weapon.

Adding something like that in that is completely impossible to know without a guide is a serious mark against the game.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Space Crabs posted:

On Missable Items:

However good people think Final Fantasy 12 was the game was seriously hindered by the Zodiac Weapon for the gay twink fuckboy requiring you to not open 12 random chests located randomly throughout the game. Some of them were in the initial areas where of course you are going to open a chest. Nope. If you opened any of those 12 specific chests, out of dozens scattered throughout the game, you could no longer get the gay twink fuckboy's ultimate weapon.

Adding something like that in that is completely impossible to know without a guide is a serious mark against the game.

I'm pretty sure you could still get it, it was just like a 1/1000 drop from a rare chest or something instead of a sure thing - so really, doing it the way you're describing could be seen as a bonus rather than the intended path. Definitely still a dick move but it's not like it was necessary to beat the game and I've always been a fan of super weird convoluted systems like that.

The best part is that it's not 12 chests that you're supposed to avoid, it's only four - but one of those four is randomly selected from a group of 16 chests, so gently caress you for trying to open them.

E: I should clarify that I'm a fan of this stuff *in theory*, this particular case is just a lovely way to try to force people to buy the strategy guide (which didn't have much information other than links to a dead website, haha)

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Red Faction Guerrilla was the msot technically impressive and innovative games of the past 20 years.

Power_of_the_glory
Feb 14, 2012

Space Crabs posted:

On Missable Items:

Still isn't as bad as dodging lightning in FFX.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The concert and the multiple hours of game time spent setting up for the concert was not an embarrassing waste of time in Final Fantasy X-2.

Also Having to hit a specific button, without prompts, at a specific time, during a cutscene you only see once to get %100.0 game completion and the real ending was not complete bullshit.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
When people bring up classic SNES/PSX RPGs but don't bring up GOAT Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, then I feel like they must have soft brains.

That game has CLASSIC & FUN combat, tons of fun stuff to do and explore, and adds dimensions to all these quiet, flat characters. So much so, in fact, that all sequels doubled back by making the characters literally silent pieces of paper.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

JiveHonky posted:

bruce springsteen sucks

You take that back! Bruce Springsteen is my favorite vidjagaem! :mad:

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
the witcher games have their good qualities but the writing in general and especially the dialogue (highly praised by gameurs who have never voluntarily read a novel in their lives) is unbelievably childish tryhard poo poo. "oval office loving gently caress gently caress plow with the gently caress whores cunts. whores plowing gently caress plow, eh oval office? *burp*"

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Twelve Batmans posted:

King of Fighters XIV is currently the best fighting game out right now of this current gen.

This was aaaages ago and idk if this poster is still around but hey dude without PMs: is XIII any good? It's on sale on Steam right now and I kinda want to take the plunge.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

I figured that's just how Polish people talk

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

I'm Crap posted:

the witcher games have their good qualities but the writing in general and especially the dialogue (highly praised by gameurs who have never voluntarily read a novel in their lives) is unbelievably childish tryhard poo poo. "oval office loving gently caress gently caress plow with the gently caress whores cunts. whores plowing gently caress plow, eh oval office? *burp*"

The first Witcher game was even worse at this before the Director's Cut:

quote:

Geralt: Why do locals persecute nonhumans?
Dwarf:
Humans have always hated dwarves and elves.
Geralt:
I don't understand.
Dwarf:
Then go see that bastard Brogg. I won't discuss it with strangers.
Geralt:
Understandable.

Vs

quote:

Geralt: Why do the locals persecute nonhumans?
Dwarf:
Why do pricks go in cunts? It's the natural order of things. Humans have always hated dwarves and elves. Not for me to know why.
Geralt:
I'm not sure I understand.
Dwarf:
Then ponder it on your own. Or discuss it with that maggot Brogg. I don't talk to strangers about these things.
Geralt:
Fine.

Although yeah, you do end up with a superfluous oval office.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Yeah that bugs me too. I feel that achievements can be a good way to measure your overall progress in a game, and give you interesting challenges to go after, but if there's one that's like "WIN 50 MULTIPLAYER BATTLES" then gently caress that poo poo. Not just an obsessive grind, but an obsessive multiplayer grind as well? Ugh

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

ChickenHeart posted:

The 2010 Bionic Commando game (the one with the wife-arm) was really cool and good and deserves a sequel that removes all the bad decisions such as the blue radiation and attempt to have a sensible plot
It was weird they got Mike Patton of all people to voice the PC

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The first true steps in authoritarianism should be to track purchases of whatever the newest Sonic the Hedgehog game is and forcibly sterilize anyone who purchases it.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Unpopular opinion regarding achievments: I hate that the stupid monkey-retarded reward center of my brain lights up like a 4th of July barge on the Mississippi whenever the top left of the screen says some poo poo like "Lock'n'Load 6/10 (slay 10 warrior-bugs with a shotgun)". It snaps me out of the game and reminds me what a retard I am for playing it. Then I play it some more.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

phasmid posted:

Unpopular opinion regarding achievments: I hate that the stupid monkey-retarded reward center of my brain lights up like a 4th of July barge on the Mississippi whenever the top left of the screen says some poo poo like "Lock'n'Load 6/10 (slay 10 warrior-bugs with a shotgun)". It snaps me out of the game and reminds me what a retard I am for playing it. Then I play it some more.

Related to that, games that I get through Steam but don't have achievements make me feel a little let down, and I feel stupid for it. It seems worse with games like Far Cry through Uplay, where I get their achievements but nothing on Steam. I get that little "woohoo, I got an achievement" followed immediately by "but it's only on Uplay so doesn't really count."

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
the best Zeldas are on the N64

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Homestar Runner posted:

the best Zeldas are on the N64

Zeldas is trash. Only good one was link to the past.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
the best zelda game was Darksiders 2

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Space Crabs posted:

Red Faction Guerilla has a bunch of multiplayer only achievements and there are precisely 0 people online because the game is 8 years old.

"Get 5,000 points as (class)"
"Win 25 Matches"

Hahaha I wanna buy this guy red faction guerrilla really badly now

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Gridlocked posted:

WoW: Legion is the best WoW has been since the start of WotLK.

Agreed.

Even the writing improved.

Well, okay, everything about the winged blind idiot who is supposed to be the expansion's big hero is their usual garbage, but everything about those weird ET-looking crackhead Elves and their shiny city was an amazing experience from start to finish. I don't know who's responsible for it, but if there's any justice in this world those people will rise to replace Metzen now that he's gone.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ChickenHeart posted:

NHL Hitz, you idiot

Bust Rodd posted:

When people bring up classic SNES/PSX RPGs but don't bring up GOAT Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, then I feel like they must have soft brains.

That game has CLASSIC & FUN combat, tons of fun stuff to do and explore, and adds dimensions to all these quiet, flat characters. So much so, in fact, that all sequels doubled back by making the characters literally silent pieces of paper.
i like Chrono Trigger and Earthbound more, but the fact that SMRPG isn't talked about as one of the best RPGs on the SNES is a crime

echoing the people who say that Mega Man 3 > Mega Man 2. and i'll go one further: MM2 had some horrible design decisions that can't be glazed over, namely those wall robots that have to be killed with Crash Bomber and the final Dr. Wily fight where you have to get a game over if you run out of Bubble Lead ammo. even so, it's my third favorite of the series, after MM3 and MM9

halo wasn't a bad game, but it ruined the FPS genre because everyone ended up copying regen health and the limited number of weapons you could hold at a time

the damage resident evil 4 did to the series outweighs the fact that it's a good game

smash bros. melee isn't that good. even though brawl is worse than it, i'm glad that the design decisions in it pissed off tournament players, because those people are whiny children. smash 4 is easily the best of the series

i want to punch anyone who complains about DKC Returns's controls. whoop-dee-doo, you have to flick your wrists every so often. who gives a poo poo

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Castlevania64 is the greatest game in the series. I just love how goddamn stupid it is.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
Megaman 2 has a lot of bad level design. "Here's a mostly flat corridor. The same rabbit jumps out at you four times. Okay, that's all the ideas we had."

"Now climb this ladder for two minutes while birds gently caress you up"

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Half-Life 3 will never happen because Steam is Valve's true priority.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ChickenHeart posted:

no these are the two good sports games:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kXVFCfBWoQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYZ54-gZHeo

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

a bone to pick posted:

the best zelda game was Darksiders 2

It's weird that you randomly put a 2 at the end of this correct post

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

get that OUT of my face posted:

the damage resident evil 4 did to the series outweighs the fact that it's a good game

the series was already dead. they just reanimated the corpse and pumped it full of crack and lsd and let it do its own thing

4 can't be blamed for everyone having such a good time they kept trying to capture that lightning in a bottle.

i mean poo poo, the game starts with umbrella already fallen and then we plummet into a hilarious b-movie rabbit hole of cheesy dialogue, pedo-bait, and horrific violence/gore. its a game that is so successful because it knows its played out so it takes the viscerally self-aware route and it actually works. i don't think they ever could have repeated what made re4 work so drat well.

5 was one of the biggest disappointments in gaming to me though. 4 was formative for me, so i was beyond excited for 5. 5 was…well, its best not to talk about it.

edit: on second thought, i don't think they even tried to replicate the "fun" aspect of re4. 5 was just a gritty shooter thought bought into the tone that video games couldn't be fun and had to be super serious and christopher nolan-esque. . i never played 6, but i imagine they tried to over-correct.

4 was a total romp that somehow worked in a horror setting. it could still be tense, shocking, and scary, but it was also just endless fun

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

RaySmuckles posted:

the series was already dead. they just reanimated the corpse and pumped it full of crack and lsd and let it do its own thing

4 can't be blamed for everyone having such a good time they kept trying to capture that lightning in a bottle.

i mean poo poo, the game starts with umbrella already fallen and then we plummet into a hilarious b-movie rabbit hole of cheesy dialogue, pedo-bait, and horrific violence/gore. its a game that is so successful because it knows its played out so it takes the viscerally self-aware route and it actually works. i don't think they ever could have repeated what made re4 work so drat well.

5 was one of the biggest disappointments in gaming to me though. 4 was formative for me, so i was beyond excited for 5. 5 was…well, its best not to talk about it.

5 was fine, I'm sorry you play games for the movie that comes packaged with them. 5 might have come packaged with a worse movie, but as a game, 5 is just as good as 4. 6 is where they hosed up