Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Is it fair to call the protomolecule a weapon that was fired at Earth when [I'll spoiler this just in case because I'm pulling from some book knowledge] I think I remember it was fired at earth something like 2 billion years ago? complex life was still a ways out on Earth at that point. Seems to me that it was more of a terraforming agent. Even if the beings that fired it at Earth were doing so because they didn't want the life that was there to evolve further is it really that much different than, say, killing the bacteria in your toilet so it doesn't get all gnarly

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tree Dude posted:

Is it fair to call the protomolecule a weapon that was fired at Earth when [I'll spoiler this just in case because I'm pulling from some book knowledge] I think I remember it was fired at earth something like 2 billion years ago. complex life was still a ways out on Earth at that point. Seems to me that it was more of a terraforming agent. Even if the beings that fired it at Earth were doing so because they didn't want the life that was there to evolve further is it really that much different than, say, killing the bacteria in your toilet so it doesn't get all gnarly

This is how you start an abortion debate.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Platystemon posted:

This is how you start an abortion debate.

This would not have happened if the protomolocule had a gun

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
All of the Eros transmissions have sounded like noise to me except the screaming as it avoids the Nauvoo. Besides DON'T TOUCH ME, what else has been in the transmissions?

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy

Phobophilia posted:

I think they do because it makes the most logical sense. When Protogen first exfiltrated from Phoebe station, it was via the Anubis. While they froze down a sample of PM in a locker, an officer was also infected, they were not properly relieved of duty, and so the PM effectively broke containment and killed the ship. It was a lucky coincidence that Julie delivered the PM direct to Eros station, their planned test site, so they immediately continued with the next phase of their plan. And because Protogen could pull off a controlled exfiltration from Eros station, they no doubt had the opportunity to freeze down another sample of PM for further purposes.

The took all their new samples to Thoth station when they left Eros, which now belongs to Fred Johnson. Protogen has no more Protomolocule.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

It is spelled 'molecule'

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Big Mean Jerk posted:

All of the Eros transmissions have sounded like noise to me except the screaming as it avoids the Nauvoo. Besides DON'T TOUCH ME, what else has been in the transmissions?

In the show, it mostly sounds like garble to me too. In the book, the feed clearly contains speech. Varying voices, mostly nonsense phrases, lots of repetition.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

flosofl posted:

and Holden have no idea if any more are infected or if they are going to broadcast the situation of Eros to Solar System (how do you like it, Holden?)

This bit really rang false to me. The question is are they infected. The idea that they'd broadcast the situation and anyone else would get to the asteroid in time to do anything before the surface is slagged down by the explosives is nil. And melting the surface so that people can't dick around with it *after* the Nauvoo smacks into it is the whole point of that plan: that collision will be a giant red flag that there's something really interesting there so they need to prevent people from getting inside while it falls sunward. The possibility that the crew is infected is the *only* danger there, not the fact that they might broadcast "Yo, dudes, strange things are afoot on Eros so stop by for a visit."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phanatic posted:

The possibility that the crew is infected is the *only* danger there, not the fact that they might broadcast "Yo, dudes, strange things are afoot on Eros so stop by for a visit."

They’re explicitly blaming Mars, though.

Sure, there are already conspiracy theories that say Eros was attacked by a Martian bioweapon, but if the last and possibly only ship to visit Eros since the disaster makes that claim, that’s kind of a big deal.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Platystemon posted:

They’re explicitly blaming Mars, though.

I don't think Holden slags that crew for saying mean things about Mars even if those things aren't true. Holden would broadcast a counterclaim saying it's not Mars's fault and that he's an Earther so you can trust him when he says that. The reason to kill them is that they violated the quarantine and might be infected with an alien bioweapon that could kill every single human if it gets out. But Holden tells them "If you broadcast, more people will come here, I can't allow that," but the bombs he's planting in order to make it useless for more people to go there are going to go off in a few hours, nobody's going to come visiting that soon.

It just rang false and unnecessary. Their status as a potential infection vector is (a) enough reason to kill them and (b) sufficiently in question to present the moral dilemma that's got Holden so upset.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Number Ten Cocks posted:

There's some book background about Julie like the implied (attempted?) sexual assault in her past that I think are missing here and that therefore would leave the DON'T loving TOUCH ME without the same eventual impact and logical connection.
Someone jog my memory on this, because whaaaaaat?

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

VagueRant posted:

Someone jog my memory on this, because whaaaaaat?

Miller internally speculated that was the reason she did her martial arts training with the attitude and focus she did and the reason she flipped out and almost won against four guys when they grabbed her on the Anubis. He thinks something happened to make her that way and give her a tough survivor mentality. Who is apparently very averse to being touched against her will.

On another subject, after this show ends we need an Amos and Avasarala spinoff.

Number Ten Cocks fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 17, 2017

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

Number Ten Cocks posted:

On another subject, after this show ends we need an Amos and Avasarala spinoff.
I would watch 10 seasons of the Avasarala and Amos Show.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

They really made it on the nose last episode that Amos has now switched to Holden as his moral compass. Not complaining or anything, it's just verrry explicit now.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
The whole thing with Miller and the dead man's switch on the bomb seemed a bit contrived.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Subyng posted:

The whole thing with Miller and the dead man's switch on the bomb seemed a bit contrived.

Is this in the books as well? Feels like Miller has more close calls than anyone else.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is this in the books as well? Feels like Miller has more close calls than anyone else.

Maybe minor book spoiler I guess: There is a dead-man's switch in the books but it is set up intentionally and less contrived IIRC.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Sarern posted:

Skip over plot and just have them host a late night talk show.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yes and no. It's still a bit spoilery:

There's no problem with the bombs in the book; they're all placed basically without issue, and there's no ship for Holden to agonize over shooting down. Miller simply decides he's had enough and stays on Eros. He's hanging out, looking at the beauty of space and listening to the Eros feed, when the Nauvoo misses. The dead man's switch is then set up intentionally as part of plan B.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
There's something about Avasarala's voice that bothers me. Not the sound of it... the cadence of her speech, maybe? I dunno. I'll see myself out.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is that her actual accent or is she doing one for the show?
Alex's accent is still all over the map and great.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Tree Dude posted:

There's something about Avasarala's voice that bothers me. Not the sound of it... the cadence of her speech, maybe? I dunno. I'll see myself out.

Yeah, her delivery is a little off. Her accent sounds like a real Iranian accent.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

The dialogue is a little dry and those Earth gov war commitee scenes felt super stiff... I don't think she was really enjoying herself on set or it just wasn't working and kinda phoned it in. That being said, her voice kinda carries it on it's own.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

So my biggest question now is... why hasn't the thread title been changed to "The Mormons are going to be pissed" yet?

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Subyng posted:

Yeah, her delivery is a little off. Her accent sounds like a real Iranian accent.
To be fair, that's exactly the way Shohreh Aghdashloo talks IRL. She places emphasis on odd syllables like a female Iranian Christopher Walken.

Eiba posted:

So my biggest question now is... why hasn't the thread title been changed to "The Mormons are going to be pissed" yet?

Thread starter fell out the airlock and hasn't been seen since :(

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

Is that her actual accent or is she doing one for the show?
Alex's accent is still all over the map and great.

Actual accent, remember BEHRUUUUZUH from :twentyfour:? :v:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Svaha posted:

To be fair, that's exactly the way Shohreh Aghdashloo talks IRL. She places emphasis on odd syllables like a female Iranian Christopher Walken.

Thread starter fell out the airlock and hasn't been seen since :(

OP wouldn't have the power to change it anyways. We need a mod

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How did she cultivate such an amazing voice? Tons of smoking?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sarern posted:

Yes!

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Skip over plot and just have them host a late night talk show.

Hell yes!

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

How did she cultivate such an amazing voice? Tons of smoking?

quote:

"It's been like this for at least thirty years," the sixty-two-year-old says of her gravelly baritone. She laughs, recounting that after she hit puberty in the Shah's Tehran, her voice thickened to the point that her parents joked she was her younger sibling Shahryar's "big brother."

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Shohreh Aghdashloo missin' out on those big ASMR YouTube bucks.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I'm alive, I just normally can't watch on Wednesday so I avoid spoilers pretty hard. Can't actually figure out how to change the thread title, just the post content. What am I missing?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

A mod

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Tree Dude posted:

Glad to hear that I'm not alone in this. The conference room bits were especially jarring, in a "What the gently caress do these words even mean? I guess I just blart them out with unfitting pronunciation" kind of way.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
To be fair all of the UN related dialogue is awful, which is out of her control.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

gohmak posted:

The advertisements for for season 2 gave away the finale I think. major book 2 spoiler monster in the airlock cam

Yeah, I mean if you want a cliffhanger for next season that could do it, I can think of a few other things happening at around that time in the book with various characters that would be at least passable.

I wouldn't mind them throwing a curveball and moving parts of the end of book 2 up so they happen earlier, that could be pretty effective.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

NowonSA posted:

Yeah, I mean if you want a cliffhanger for next season that could do it, I can think of a few other things happening at around that time in the book with various characters that would be at least passable.

I wouldn't mind them throwing a curveball and moving parts of the end of book 2 up so they happen earlier, that could be pretty effective.

Book spoilers:I just want to see the loving ring.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

NowonSA posted:

Yeah, it depends on how they worded what they said about it, but if it was just "we won't cover all of book 2," they could still easily have the finale of book 2 (or elements of it) this season and shift some other stuff until later, and that would qualify as "not all of book 2".

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

This demands to have the outro music from Curb Your Enthusiasm played over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

Book spoilers:I just want to see the loving ring.

Book spoilers:The ring rising out of Venus would be a pretty good cliffhanger if they can keep the story about it going in the background.

• Locked thread