Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

people are excited because it is making the game a lot bigger and better.

you might want to wait until march 3rd because a new league (or season) is starting so everyone will be starting new characters there. march 3rd is not the date of the big new expansion, that is later this summer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Knifegrab posted:

So I've known about this game for a while but never really invested in it. As far as I am aware it is similar in gameplay to diablo, with an incredibly complex level system and pretty darn great loot system.

I keep hearing about this massive announcment they made, introducing acts and things. Can someone explain why this announcement is so great for someone who doesn't really know much of anything about the game? I am thinking about getting into it but people keep saying ot wait till March 3rd, again why wait?

New league starts at march 3rd and this current league is ending soon. Million + players starting march and a shitton less currently.

The massive announcement is for the expansion coming in june/july and not this next thing. And it was so great because everyone was expecting them to get rid of one difficulty and add one act, and they got rid of two difficulties and added 6 acts.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Knifegrab posted:

So I've known about this game for a while but never really invested in it. As far as I am aware it is similar in gameplay to diablo, with an incredibly complex level system and pretty darn great loot system.

I keep hearing about this massive announcment they made, introducing acts and things. Can someone explain why this announcement is so great for someone who doesn't really know much of anything about the game? I am thinking about getting into it but people keep saying ot wait till March 3rd, again why wait?

Currently, the game is broken into 4 Acts, much like Diablo 2, where you progress through various overworlds as you level. And much like Diablo 2 (and previously in Diablo 3), once you beat the game once, you were sent back to the start to do it again two more times (Normal/Nightmare/Hell).

GGG has been hinting for a long time that they were adding a 5th act to the game, and that they would be removing one of the difficulties with this so that you would only have to deal with two playthroughs to get to the endgame. However, in a massive surprise to literally everyone, they actually are adding six acts all at once (again, the game currently only has four!), and removing both of the latter difficulties. They are increasing the core game length by 250%, and removing the requirement of you playing through the same content multiple times on the same character.

People say wait till March 3rd because that is when the new 'season' starts, which puts everyone at level 1 again, resets the economy, and adds a plethora of new features to the game.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

panda clue posted:

Currently, the game is broken into 4 Acts, much like Diablo 2, where you progress through various overworlds as you level. And much like Diablo 2 (and previously in Diablo 3), once you beat the game once, you were sent back to the start to do it again two more times (Normal/Nightmare/Hell).

GGG has been hinting for a long time that they were adding a 5th act to the game, and that they would be removing one of the difficulties with this so that you would only have to deal with two playthroughs to get to the endgame. However, in a massive surprise to literally everyone, they actually are adding six acts all at once (again, the game currently only has four!), and removing both of the latter difficulties. They are increasing the core game length by 250%, and removing the requirement of you playing through the same content multiple times on the same character.

People say wait till March 3rd because that is when the new 'season' starts, which puts everyone at level 1 again, resets the economy, and adds a plethora of new features to the game.

Is it not possible to have a character that carries over through seasons? I dont' know how much I like the idea of my character being reset or lost every season. Or is it just for a season based ladder type thing? Where if you choose a season character you're restricted to the season but you don't have to? Sorry for the dumb questions.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Knifegrab posted:

Is it not possible to have a character that carries over through seasons? I dont' know how much I like the idea of my character being reset or lost every season. Or is it just for a season based ladder type thing? Where if you choose a season character you're restricted to the season but you don't have to? Sorry for the dumb questions.

Your character and all its items and stuff in its stash gets moved to standard league when the league is over. Or hardcore if you stayed alive till the end of the hard core league. You can then continue playing it in standard or start the new league. Most go to the new league. Theres enough stuff to make it definitely worth while. Way more then diablo 3 ever had.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

You can also create a standard character at any time, but since Leagues have less-inflated economies, and an interesting gimmick twist to them, most people play Leagues.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
The reset is voluntary though, if you start playing before then you can keep playing as your old character on Standard after the 3rd if you so wish. If you think you'll be willing to start over on the third if you like the game, now's a perfectly fine to start and learn the basics, try out skills, etc, so you can play with goons when we're all starting fresh.

If you start now and play your Breach character on Standard (meaning, you don't restart after Legacy starts on the 3rd) you can also still talk to goons and ask questions and poo poo, but we'll be talking about some things you can't do (the league gimmick) and we can't help you with tough bosses or getting good items, and you also will have a hell of a time trading if you ever try since standard's economy is all hosed up from people playing it having years of accumulated wealth.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Knifegrab posted:

Everything ends up in the non-seasonal standard league but no goons play that league and most people generally only play the seasonal leagues.

Yes, it sounds like you'll lose your progress, but trust me 3 months of plenty of time to be done with a league and be ready to get a fresh start.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

panda clue posted:

presumably something you can do with your duplicates.

Actually that's rather unlikely given the comment thread that quote was from.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Magus42 posted:

Actually that's rather unlikely given the comment thread that quote was from.

Link?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Knifegrab posted:

Everyone else answered it, but I should point out that "the league gimmick" that starts on the 3rd is "be able to run all the mods from past leagues". I'd look at the wiki on all the leagues to get an idea of what sorts of mechanics were introduced. Some were added into the core game (like Anarchy or Torment), some are accessible in the end-game buy purchasing it as a map mod (Perandus) while a couple weren't added at all buy are making a comeback for this upcoming league (Talisman).

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010

Count Uvula posted:

The reset is voluntary though, if you start playing before then you can keep playing as your old character on Standard after the 3rd if you so wish. If you think you'll be willing to start over on the third if you like the game, now's a perfectly fine to start and learn the basics, try out skills, etc, so you can play with goons when we're all starting fresh.

If you start now and play your Breach character on Standard (meaning, you don't restart after Legacy starts on the 3rd) you can also still talk to goons and ask questions and poo poo, but we'll be talking about some things you can't do (the league gimmick) and we can't help you with tough bosses or getting good items, and you also will have a hell of a time trading if you ever try since standard's economy is all hosed up from people playing it having years of accumulated wealth.

So the league is kinda like the D3 seasons where everything is reset and everyone starts from scratch?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

The two are basically the same.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

jerichojx posted:

So the league is kinda like the D3 seasons where everything is reset and everyone starts from scratch?

Exactly the same, except PoE has an economy that also resets, which adds a little more reason for them to actually do it. Also, GGG actually adds a ton of new content every season beyond ANCIENT ANCIENT ANCIENT ANCIENT items and 1(!!!) new stash tab.

They try to run a new league every 3 months, and every other league is a substantial 'expansion level' update. The off-league still adds a bunch of new content, just not quite as much.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
And again if you get tied to a character you like there are people who play in the non-league Standard. Few goons do, but there definitely is a community for it if your major concern is being reset.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/5ulloo/ggg_please_allow_us_to_do_something_with_extra_mtx/ddvrwc7/

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea, MTX recycling would never work with the way the current mystery boxes are done, and even having bought quite a few of them I never expected to get anything out of the unwanted or duplicate items. It would be neat if I could gift them to other people though.

I am quite excited about the new MTX system in 3.0 though, I have managed to keep my 5 mtx tabs somewhat organized, but it's a challenge, and I always manage to lose them on random characters and have to use one of the tools to find them for me.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I'm still only at 1 MTX tab, how much money are you guys throwing at this game? :signings:

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
I've bought 2 supporter packs and that's probably all I'll be buying unless they add some more stuff I'd be interested in. Going through the tabs I have is already enough work.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

whypick1 posted:

I'm still only at 1 MTX tab, how much money are you guys throwing at this game? :signings:

I have 8 tabs.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

believe me, losing your character and stash every league is an absolute godsend

standard is a cesspool of minmaxing robberbarons and unbalanced legacy gear

leagues not only have cool gimmicks but this next league allows you to get legacy gear that hasn't existed in game for years

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

whypick1 posted:

$615 over the years as of the Legacy packs... 4 MTX tabs with all but one set unassigned from characters.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Honestly not sure at this point, somewhere between 500 and 800 since early beta. I have about 2000 hours on the Steam client alone though, and god knows how many on the standalone. I don't regret a single $ spent, and plan on spending plenty more as the game only gets better every year.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

unbalanced legacy gear

Legacy League :getin:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Does anyone have a dope video that shows off what path of exile is? Not like a meme video but one that would be a good seller video for someone who does not know the game at all? I'm trying to get some friends hyped for the new league but the videos in the steam store feel outdated.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

one thousand health kaoms chest

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Knifegrab posted:

Does anyone have a dope video that shows off what path of exile is? Not like a meme video but one that would be a good seller video for someone who does not know the game at all? I'm trying to get some friends hyped for the new league but the videos in the steam store feel outdated.

The Atlas of Worlds trailer was always my favorite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92SpXUJEIVs&t=3s

The Xbox trailer also has a bit where it shows how the gem system works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7GGf4-1O-E

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Knifegrab posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJTKheYcT3c
2:45, the shaper boss fight

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Knifegrab posted:

Here are two videos that capture the spirit of PoE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbVupAZHanA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SptNe_vNA2k

Dream Attack
Feb 12, 2008

nothing in this world
The Atlas of Worlds community highlights video shows high level gameplay and bosses which should push new players past the slow early levels:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I6lvTfor3qg

should get the point across in the first few minutes!

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

panda clue posted:

The Atlas of Worlds trailer was always my favorite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92SpXUJEIVs&t=3s

The Xbox trailer also has a bit where it shows how the gem system works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7GGf4-1O-E

This is perfect thank you

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Knifegrab posted:

Hold on while I get two frames of my Xoph Igniter that applies 30+ Ignite stacks to every enemy within 3 screens every time I fire. It's only 2 frames because they're the only 2 my computer will render.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

probably 2 pretty good frames though

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Awesome! posted:

probably 2 pretty good frames though

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Jusupov posted:

MTX boxes from race weekend should be coming tomorrow

I got a hideout decoration. Just like all my other boxes. Yes

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

panda clue posted:

Got to say GGG is really good at trailers.

Knifegrab, here's the trailer for the current league ending in a week and a half (the league's gimmick will still be available in the next league)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN82BoHQJHM

panda clue
May 23, 2014
It's pretty funny that the best all-inclusive trailer for the game and its features/mechanics is the goddamn Xbox trailer.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

TBF, that trailer is for console gamers who've probably never heard of PoE, the league trailers are for people like us.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

So I'm loving around with a Guardian RF build on standard while waiting for new league. This is the point in the build where I figure it can take off, but it's at level 79. Any advice on corners I can cut to get it going at a lower level?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
What's everyone's favourite league starter build/fast leveling skills? I always like to use the same skill as my final build while leveling but I've realised that's a really dumb idea in certain cases. What's the current setup that will let you crush everything until maps?

• Locked thread