Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Thanks for the breakdown gents, it all makes sense now. Except for Flint Flossy being stuck in my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I keep getting traders who don't eat until they're starving often causing a break, and not leaving waiting for who knows what while their animals die of starvation. This all means free stuff with little danger and occasional reputation boosts from taking care of those who don't die outright but I'm on an easy enough difficulty I have wealth coming out of my ears and it just becomes a janitorial event to clean up after those idiots. Although the last time they were good bait for a giant ibex pack that went maneater. Has anyone else noticed traders getting dumber over time?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I have never had that problem. The worst I had was a visiting pyro who started fires and it made me so wish for a "justice" system where I could have arrested him for arson and not taken a huge reputation hit with his faction.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Few things funnier than watching a pawn try to hunt animals with EMP grenades.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
man all my art is of chicken death. :sigh:

funbar
Jan 1, 2008

zedprime posted:

I keep getting traders who don't eat until they're starving often causing a break, and not leaving waiting for who knows what while their animals die of starvation. This all means free stuff with little danger and occasional reputation boosts from taking care of those who don't die outright but I'm on an easy enough difficulty I have wealth coming out of my ears and it just becomes a janitorial event to clean up after those idiots. Although the last time they were good bait for a giant ibex pack that went maneater. Has anyone else noticed traders getting dumber over time?

Maybe they want to join your wealthy colony but they're too shy to ask? :shrug: I've had the same thing happen to me and it was pretty silly.

How come my master animal handlers keep poisoning the livestock by feeding them raw corn or whatever? I mean it's amusing to see all the fresh new piles of boar puke, and they still get trained, but something tells me this feature isn't quite up to snuff..

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Raw food has a flat 2% chance to cause food poisoning, even for animals. I think it's getting changed up in A17 but I don't remember any details.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I just had a colonist beat to death in a social fight. I didn't know that could even happen.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Walton Simons posted:

I just had a colonist beat to death in a social fight. I didn't know that could even happen.

I had one colonist lose an arm to another because the guy with a mental break was equipped with a plasteel longsword.

Though I think I might be moving towards all long-swords for those times when your colonists run into an manhunter or w/e. I have defense covered pretty well:

(one on each side, switch controls lights/turrets for turn-key annihilation)

LED from the LED mod, and the big fuckoff destroyer turret, moats, as well as mounted emplacements from More Vanilla Turrets. Embrasures from ED-Embrasures. Has the plain dirt to encourage enemies to take that path and bunch up in range all three turrets. Sandbags are to discourage getting too close to the mounted minigun(it can't fire within that radius). Nobody has made it past the first corner, though I have snipers at the end of the hallway awaiting anyone to turn the corner. I usually call all the colonists, but for things like a manhunter attack I just flip the switch and let the big automated one do the job.

e:\/\/\/ I have the AI fire back at me through the embrasures. I had a centipede really gently caress me up with a launcher of some sort with my previous setup.

HarmB fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 18, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Using embrasures at all totally crippled the enemy AI now :(

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
As long has you didn't lock the perimeter with doors the AI shoot back.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can use the medieval ones, they will try to charge them which is frankly the best idea because they're not going to win by shooting you.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

Though I think I might be moving towards all long-swords for those times when your colonists run into an manhunter or w/e.

been doing that this round. basic answer is that this is the way to go. obviously keep a lot of guns around for raids and other threats, but all of the urgent threats will leave you wishing to god you had a solid melee weapon. also do not be afraid of using steel to bridge the gap until you get a good clutch of plasteel; steel still hits hard, is infinitely more obtainable than plasteel in the first year or so, and the weapons still resell nicely after you get your hands on plasteel.

worth noting: do NOT do longswords on everyone. longswords are the best in terms of DPS, but they have a very long cooldown between strikes. missing can be a big deal. the way i've been running things is that if you have 5 or fewer melee, you get a gladius (which is ~25% faster and ~10% less overall DPS) and if you have 6 or more, you get a longsword. the gladius will allow lesser skilled colonists to get hits in sooner so they can wear down their opponents. actual melee experts will do better with long swords because they will reliably hit things and high quality steel or plasteel long swords can actually end a fight in one glorious blow. it's effectively the same as the distinction between who gets an assault rifle and who gets a sniper.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 18, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I find setting your colonists to engage threats when not drafted is also a good deterrant, they will tend to open up on any shifty looking animal they see. Rather than waiting for it to bite their knob off before whingeing about it and walking slowly away.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i tried that and found that it also tends to increase medicine consumption quite a lot as it's relatively rare that a shifty-looking animal will not at least get a lick in...and due to the ever-present problem of infection, there's no such thing as a trivial wound.

e: starting to get worried about my constructor

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 18, 2017

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Coolguye posted:

i tried that and found that it also tends to increase medicine consumption quite a lot as it's relatively rare that a shifty-looking animal will not at least get a lick in...and due to the ever-present problem of infection, there's no such thing as a trivial wound.

I limit everyone to herbal medicine unless they're a bit hosed up

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

OwlFancier posted:

I find setting your colonists to engage threats when not drafted is also a good deterrant, they will tend to open up on any shifty looking animal they see. Rather than waiting for it to bite their knob off before whingeing about it and walking slowly away.

How?

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

There's an option in the 'assign' tab, as well as in the upper-right hand corner of the colonist box when you select one.
http://i.imgur.com/YF19AQQ.jpg

Does anyone know a way to view all your colonists stats at once, or cycle through them on the stats screen? I hate individually clicking each one to see their stats. And before you say the job screen, some things(melee notably) don't show there.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I think the Psychology Mod has jumped the shark for me since the social traits and election update. I'm now on two colonies where after about a year or two everyone hates each other because of how many traits there are and how few combinations result in positive conversations, and my major and at least one colonist are constantly in meetings yelling at each other. It was fun at first but now it's just a pain in the rear end to have my colonists beating the poo poo out of each other regularly.

Are there any other social mods out there that don't make your pawns such powder kegs the moment someone insults glitterworld fashion trends?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
related to the above, I have two colonists who are -100 with each other

I checked why and, uh, they had a conversation about politics that was worth -236 :stare:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

related to the above, I have two colonists who are -100 with each other

I checked why and, uh, they had a conversation about politics that was worth -236 :stare:

MRAs are the worst (Mechanoid Rights Activists)

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
I don't have those problems, but the mod clearly suffers from feature bloat. I just checked the social tabs of my colonist and they all have a few friends, they fight as much as vanilla for me. The only guy who had no friend was beaten to death; I sadly didn't check the reasons, but since he was the only cannibal and his killer was a gourmet it did make sense.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

From personal experience that make sense too.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Omnicarus posted:

I think the Psychology Mod has jumped the shark for me since the social traits and election update. I'm now on two colonies where after about a year or two everyone hates each other because of how many traits there are and how few combinations result in positive conversations, and my major and at least one colonist are constantly in meetings yelling at each other. It was fun at first but now it's just a pain in the rear end to have my colonists beating the poo poo out of each other regularly.

Are there any other social mods out there that don't make your pawns such powder kegs the moment someone insults glitterworld fashion trends?

That happens a lot in vanilla for me too, for some reason colonists just never have anything nice to say to one another, ever. It made me wonder if using the sacrifice to give a colonist psychopath would be a downside since they can't get social mood boosts, then I learned that they don't ever loving play nice and I never get those boosts anyways. Psychopathy for everyone!

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Something I learned recently that may or may not be true is that pawns' social skill also governs their interactions with other colonists, so if your dudes are always pissing each other off it might be because they're socially retarded

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
My current problem I'm having is that one of my mods totally disabled the ability to wound enemies. Even the lightest pummelings with a club result in instant death.

How am I supposed to get more dudes if I cant lock them down and brainwash them with kindness?

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
I had visitors arriving at my base when simultaneously a pirate band attacked. This turned into a clusterfuck and the after the bandits were taken care of, half the visitors also did but some hung around my base; one of them tunneling through a defensive wall of mine and then starting mining my valley's back wall. I got two area revealed! popups which startled me and then I noticed this:

This motherfucker carved into an empty hidden chamber and then revealed another entrance to the zone BEHIND MY BASE. I loving planned having only one entrance you goddamn jerk :mad:

Apparently the AI somehow saw that the easiest route to escape the pandemonium was through this unrevealed area.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Omnicarus posted:

I don't get how you could spend much time on this forum and think this isn't completely accurate?

Personally I like having to take into account how certain colonists may affect morale and make decisions for the Greater Good. Makes it more like a real survival game.

CainsDescendant posted:

Something I learned recently that may or may not be true is that pawns' social skill also governs their interactions with other colonists, so if your dudes are always pissing each other off it might be because they're socially retarded

This isn't the case for Psychology, instead their Social skill can affect how Polite they are and that's what mitigates opinion maluses from conversations. Also Judgmental people will form strong opinions of others more quickly.

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 18, 2017

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I didnt realize it would get this bad - at the beginning of the game I walled a good 15+ deer into a corner of a mountainous map. They've been here a while now and they have eaten all the grass, so any time new grass sprouts they all sprint over to it and its gone immediately:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
They're like Pikmin

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This fuckin' game. Just got alerted to this puppy's death. 14 days old and already massively addicted to booze and methadone.

It would be cool if they just couldn't take methadone them selves or some how open beer bottles.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

There's an option in the 'assign' tab, as well as in the upper-right hand corner of the colonist box when you select one.
http://i.imgur.com/YF19AQQ.jpg

Does anyone know a way to view all your colonists stats at once, or cycle through them on the stats screen? I hate individually clicking each one to see their stats. And before you say the job screen, some things(melee notably) don't show there.

The < and > keys will cycle through colonists

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

This fuckin' game. Just got alerted to this puppy's death. 14 days old and already massively addicted to booze and methadone.

It would be cool if they just couldn't take methadone them selves or some how open beer bottles.

just make an animal area that has all your stockpiles of these things and then click the invert button on the manage zones menu, animals actually respect these things

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Coolguye posted:

animals actually respect these things

They SAY they respect those things until you uncover that Puppy Luceferium Ring running through the air ducts, smuggled in inside the cloaca of a bug. Then it's BANG, you're moving out to another village totally devoid of puppies.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

man they're the ones moving out

via drop pod

to the enemy base

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
I used right-click to say "everyone attack this hive", under duress but still double time

:rip: Missy (no talent in mining, but managed to save us with some forced labor steel) and some rear end in a top hat that wouldn't make good products or clean his own room. At least my wonderful conversion chamber prison has a reason to be used.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Baronjutter posted:

Looks like they're not addicted to methadone, they just overdosed on it. They were probably trying to get themselves clean and off the sauce! You should be proud :mad:

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I didnt realize it would get this bad - at the beginning of the game I walled a good 15+ deer into a corner of a mountainous map. They've been here a while now and they have eaten all the grass, so any time new grass sprouts they all sprint over to it and its gone immediately:

welcome to every nanosecond of my existance regarding chickens.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Grow haygrass, it grows so quickly and gives so many units of food that you shouldn't have a problem.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Thefluffy posted:

welcome to every nanosecond of my existance regarding chickens.

Chickens are awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Chickens are awesome.

After a number of games I have somehow never had chickens. I now feel like I am missing out.