Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Kyrie must be p concerned about climate change then huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!

Fast Luck posted:

My favorite theory is the concave hollow earth theory, which basically says the world is hollow and we live on the crust of it, but we're facing inward, so the sky and the universe is the center of the earth. And there's like legitimate mathematicians and scientists that have said that like the laws of physics and everything would all hold up in this situation and it could be true, it just for obvious reasons is extremely unlikely.

https://inis.iaea.org/search/search.aspx?orig_q=RN:14770298

I didn't read the long image but that is obviously impossible because a telescope would see the other side of the world (among countless other reasons).

Also, I know we are past Cheesecake Factory talk but I have been their probably 12-15 times in my life and I am not afraid to admit I have always enjoyed it.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Strawberry Panda posted:

How does he think time happens?

Very carefully

Dejan Bimble posted:

This is from Kyrie's Instagram

Flat earth people believe antarctica is a 360 degree wall of ice that keeps the oceans from falling off into outer space

You can't really get too harsh on them for preferring that as their alternative reality, now can you? It beats flat flipping out

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

straight up brolic posted:

So then what do they think happens if you get on a plane in Norway that goes towards the ice wall and lands in Cape Town?

Probably something like "Why are we flying along the perimeter of the ice wall in a clockwise fashion , it's a huge waste of fuel"

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!
Dear god, it's spreading: https://twitter.com/24Bazemore/status/832763154451034112

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

So then what do they think happens if you get on a plane in Norway that goes towards the ice wall and lands in Cape Town?

There are no commercial flights that go over Antarctica (for a variety of reasons) so they just insist anyone who claims to have flown this way is in on The Conspiracy. There are a couple of Australia-South America flights that go south and around but I'm assuming they'd just mumble something about oceans all looking the same and how would you know???

edit note that the north pole is not part of the "ice wall" in zetetic geography, it's the center of the disk and its cold for some other reason, who knows, so if you're asking about flights that go over the north pole they got this

Artic Puma posted:

I didn't read the long image but that is obviously impossible because a telescope would see the other side of the world (among countless other reasons).

Also, I know we are past Cheesecake Factory talk but I have been their probably 12-15 times in my life and I am not afraid to admit I have always enjoyed it.

In this wacky thought experiment a lot of basic physical equations are reversed and the space inside the universal globe is infinite, but also stretched such that it becomes exponentially greater the farther you travel towards the theoretical center point that is an infinite distance from both "walls". Thus it is infinitely far from one point on the inside of the globe to the equidistant point if you go "through" but no if you go "around". I"m not sure what if anything is the work around for if you cut the Earth in half or dug straight through it but it's sufficiently mathematically robust that Martin Gardner was just like, ok that pretty much works but come the gently caress on dude

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 18, 2017

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/InsideHoops/status/832771315278831616

https://twitter.com/ChaseDawg2/status/832771611258396673

https://twitter.com/InsideHoops/status/832771851231244288

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

first bill cosby, now this

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Oh god he was serious.

https://twitter.com/ArashMarkazi/status/832770937078571008

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

If your worth millions of dollars, why take anyone's word for it. Rent a plane and a pilot and FLY AROUND THE WORLD!

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Artic Puma posted:

I can tell you didn't read the long image! Because those things are explained. There's a distortion effect that's applied to how the rules would work in a Copernican universe. You apply Abdelkader's equations to map data points to their behavior in the geocosmos.

quote:

A ray of light passing through two points (X1, Y1, Z1) and (X2, Y2, Z2) follows a straight line defined by the two equations in 4A. After inverison, its path is transformed into a circle (or, if it intersects the Earth's surface, an arc thereof) passing through the origin and defined by the equations in 4B.

edit: Yeah, this:

DeimosRising posted:

In this wacky thought experiment a lot of basic physical equations are reversed and the space inside the universal globe is infinite, but also stretched such that it becomes exponentially greater the farther you travel towards the theoretical center point that is an infinite distance from both "walls". Thus it is infinitely far from one point on the inside of the globe to the equidistant point if you go "through" but no if you go "around". I"m not sure what if anything is the work around for if you cut the Earth in half or dug straight through it but it's sufficiently mathematically robust that Martin Gardner was just like, ok that pretty much works but come the gently caress on dude
That's what's so great about it. It's completely insane and I don't understand it at all, but it's apparently unfalsifiable. So you never know...

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 18, 2017

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

chilihead posted:

If your worth millions of dollars, why take anyone's word for it. Rent a plane and a pilot and FLY AROUND THE WORLD!
now I understand what happened to cory lidle

he knew too much

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Quest For Glory II posted:

now I understand what happened to cory lidle

he knew too much
if Kyrie Irving died trying to fly north from Norway to South Africa it would make millions of people actually believe the theory

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
My friend went on a blind date last year and her date ended being Mannie Fresh. It was cool because he hadn't ever had a saki bomb before so they did saki bombs and ate sushi. That's my New Orleans hip hop story.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

How the gently caress did Exum start

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

How the gently caress did Exum start

Next penny hardaway dude

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

who knew the NBA would be the intersection of people who love the Cheesecake Factory and flat earth truthers

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Does Lou Williams play defense at all? Pacers are shopping their 1st round pick for help, which is a good idea since PG will be deciding to leave or stay next season, and they are saying best case scenario is Williams. He's shooting 3's well and we desperately need that, but I doubt he suddenly learned how to do it and this is an outlier. We need wing defense or 3pt shooting or both, and Bird will probably bring in another guard that can't defend or shoot.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
My son Jamal just out here getting buckets

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Eltoasto posted:

Does Lou Williams play defense at all?

lol no.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

dokmo posted:

lol no.

Not only does he not, he seems offended at the suggestion

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'm just saying none of us have been in space so the earth could be flat af

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
This is not what I expected to dominate the NBA right now.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

This is not what I expected to dominate the NBA right now.

It's spreading to other sports.

https://twitter.com/stefondiggs/status/832811164757217280

https://twitter.com/stefondiggs/status/832811790283202560

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

What proof does he want

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

it's insane how much better the NBA is than any other professional sports league

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

DeimosRising posted:

I don't know if any ballers are proponents but you should also read up on ]the non existence of forests

drat I read all these words

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
He lost me at Foucault

misdirectomy
Feb 19, 2008
I did some work with a guy last year who wasn't 100% sure that the earth is flat, but had some real issues with the so-called Round Earth Theory. One piece of evidence to support this is the UN flag:

The UN is an organization that is aware of the true shape of the earth, but is hell bent on deceiving the public for reasons (presumably the are in the pocket of the globe manufacturing industry -- literal globalists). They then decided to use the real shape and topography of the earth as their flag anyway.

Flat earth is a doozy because it also requires you to believe several other conspiracies, like we've never been to space, that gravity doesn't actually exist, and that the moon is self illuminating.

He voted for Trump of course

ALSO basketball is cool and fun and I like this thread a lot

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

NickRoweFillea posted:

drat I read all these words
Haha that article is by an old LF poster and now it's being posted in the NBA thread, what a world

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DeimosRising posted:

I don't know if any ballers are proponents but you should also read up on ]the non existence of forests

Lol

quote:

The narrator alleges that a nuclear war took place in the 19th century, that large bathtubs are proof of the technological complexities of previous ages, that volcanoes are massive slag piles boiling with reactive chemical waste.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

I'd probably go all in on things I can't eat though since I'm already dead. I don't even know what shrimp tastes like.
Jesus
I'm so sorry

:eyepop:

Jahlil believes in mermaids. Kyrie thinks the world is flat. I think they're both right and that's what happened to bison dele

Also how soon until Kyrie takes it all back as a "joke"? :tinfoil:

quote:

"I was just driving and driving and the next thing you know there’s a steel thing and these crazy looking people — half human, half ugly-looking [expletives],” Davis told The Champs podcast (via CBS Sports) in 2013. “They were poking me on the nose, looking at my eyes, they had my hands tied and the next thing you know I was in Montabello dude, burning rubber on the way back to L.A. at 4 o’clock in the morning.”
The truth is out there. Don't shrink, Kyrie. I stand with you. At the edge of the 360 degree ice wall that keeps our oceans from falling off the "planet"
https://twitter.com/BaronDavis/status/355867393848909825?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Time to revive SAS dinosaur chat
https://streamable.com/76q4y

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Dinosaurs existed Kyrie just look at this picture reddit posted

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Lol

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
now I'm going to see that face when I close my eyes thanks a loving lot

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

From way back but :3 god I love Kemba

MICHAEL GET THIS MAN SOME HELP

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

CharlestheHammer posted:

What proof does he want

not a picture that you got from somewhere.

presumably eratosthenes calculation of the circumference of the earth wouldn't go over very well either

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Jahlil believes in mermaids. Kyrie thinks the world is flat. I think they're both right and that's what happened to bison dele

lol

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
hey hey hey it's a basketball party

all your good and best friends are here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Doltos posted:

I'm just saying none of us have been in space so the earth could be flat af
No, it couldn't. What the gently caress.

• Locked thread