Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pops Mgee posted:

Confirmed R2D2 is Snoke. Think about it. Snoke only appears via hologram. Who has the ability to project holograms?

And R2 just so happens to wake up at the end of the movie after we're done seeing Snoke. R2 also just happens to be at the center of every important event throughout the movies history. He's been pulling the strings all along. Makes too much sense.
:tinfoil:

Ohhhhh, he created the rebellion and used it to get rid of his competition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Luke Skywalker starts Episode VIII with crippling diarrhea.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
In Episode VIII Luke will die by turning into a giant cockroach.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

MonsieurChoc posted:

In Episode VIII Luke will die by turning into a giant cockroach.

Luke Diewalker

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

It’s going to be really funny in a horrible way if they were planning to kill Luke off in this one and make Leia the most important and only remaining old character for IX

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It’s going to be really funny in a horrible way if they were planning to kill Luke off in this one and make Leia the most important and only remaining old character for IX
Poor old chewie, thought of midichlorians and died

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

The_Doctor posted:

I guess the Machete Order doesn't work with R1?
The Machete Order is like Exhibit A in the phenomenon of nerds making a media franchise into their religion, then promulgating a heresy as the real truth.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
General FYI for everyone, many of the international title translations for The Last Jedi have been announced (French, Spanish, German, Italian, Portuguese), and due to the nature of the languages, they're having Jedi be plural rather than singular.

Ex:
https://twitter.com/StarWarsFR/status/832502743378051072

Teek fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 17, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It's The Last Samurais all over again.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

A new novel reveals the fate of Senator Binks after ROTJ.

quote:

Since children started coming in by the shipload as refugees, the Gungan has served them, performing for the kids once or twice a day. He does tricks. He juggles. He falls over and shakes his head as his eyes roll around inside their fleshy stalks. He makes goofy sounds and does strange little dances. Sometimes it’s the same performance, repeated. Sometimes the Gungan does different things, things you’ve never seen, thing’s you’ll never see again. Just a few days ago, he splashed into the fountain’s center, then pretended to have the streams shoot him way up in the air. He leapt straight up, then back down with a splash. And he leapt from compass point to compass point, back and forth, before finally conking his head on the edge and plopping down on his butt. Shaking his head. Tongue wagging. All the kids laughed. Then the Gungan laughed, too.

The clown, they called him “Bring the clown. We want to see the clown. We like it how he juggles glombo shells, or spits fish up in the air and catches them, or how he dances around and falls on his butt.”

The adults, though. They don’t say much about him. Or to him. And no other Gungans come to see him, either. Nobody even says his name.

“My no so sure.” The Gungan makes a hmm sound. “Mesa thinks it cause-o Jar Jar makin some uh-oh mistakens. Big mistakens. Der Gunga bosses banished me longo ago. Mesa no been to hom in for-ebbers. And desa hisen Naboo tink I help the uh-oh Empire.”

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 17, 2017

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

The MSJ posted:

A new novel reveals the fate of Senator Binks after ROTJ.

Like Naboo would have really had a problem with the Empire, led by their own sweet boy Palpatine :rolleyes:. I bet those rich whitey-whites really suffered,

General Dog fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 18, 2017

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I don't like the word "butt" appearing in star wars. I know star wars is for children but it feels really weird.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I prefer the original cynical ending where Jar-Jar becomes a corrupt senator like any other.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Neo-EU author, in an attempt to save Star Wars from Jar Jar Binks, unwittingly recreates The Day The Clown Cried.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Neo-EU author, in an attempt to save Star Wars from Jar Jar Binks, unwittingly recreates The Day The Clown Cried.

It's amazing.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
in other dumb news, browsing star wars memes has led me to a realisation about the change to obi-wan's weird yelling at the tusken raiders in the 2011 release of ANH. It's meant to convey that it's a ~space wizard power~ like palpatine yelling ("autistically screeching") at the jedi council in ROTS, rather than a regular old man figuring out how to mimic a predator call or something.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

The day jar jar cried: a star wars story.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Peak Jar Jar is in the Clone Wars episode where they crash land and get surrounded by enemy tanks. The clone commander sends him out to negotiate, knowing full well what will happen: utter chaos and the chance to survive.

That was the moment Jar Jar ducked under the shark and became good to me. In the cartoon at least, he just works.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
If you like Star Wars music, you should listen to this. It's where John Williams got a lot of his ideas (especially for Episode III):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxKob4TYWw0

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
"But, doctor...I am Jar-Jar Binks!

Good joke."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
It also helps that in the cartoon he's used sparingly and you can tell they went out of their way to make sure he was both actually funny and would get stuff done in some way or another.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I do kinda like the meta-commentary there. The kids like him but the adults blame him for ruining everything. But all he wants to do is make people laugh...

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think we should all team up and save Jar-Jar from mean people that want to hurt him.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

I do kinda like the meta-commentary there. The kids like him but the adults blame him for ruining everything. But all he wants to do is make people laugh...

Agreed. This is exactly like poetry.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

ungulateman posted:

in other dumb news, browsing star wars memes has led me to a realisation about the change to obi-wan's weird yelling at the tusken raiders in the 2011 release of ANH. It's meant to convey that it's a ~space wizard power~ like palpatine yelling ("autistically screeching") at the jedi council in ROTS, rather than a regular old man figuring out how to mimic a predator call or something.

Pretty good power if you know how to use it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsipO_x3naA

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Jar-Jar and Ana-kid Skywalker have the same story arc over three movies.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's actually a total misreading of the Jar Jar character. Nobody laughs at Jar Jar in the diegesis - not Anakin, and not anyone else. When he gets in a slapstick fight with a droid, Anakin just explains how to stop the droid.

This is because Jar Jar is ultimately just some dude, suffering misfortunes. He stepped on some poo poo - so what? Nobody cares. Jar Jar stepping in poo poo is a cosmic joke. We in the audience are given that broader perspective.

The Neo-EU is now presenting this desperate claim (a retcon) that Jar Jar was all along nothing but a clown - not the protagonist of his film. The author fantasizes that Jar Jar was being mocked and jeered by those around him - even though no such thing happens in any film.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Peak Jar Jar is in the Clone Wars episode where they crash land and get surrounded by enemy tanks. The clone commander sends him out to negotiate, knowing full well what will happen: utter chaos and the chance to survive.

That was the moment Jar Jar ducked under the shark and became good to me. In the cartoon at least, he just works.

This is Peak Jar Jar:

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

goon.jpg

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

You may not like it but this is what bombad performance looks like

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

It's actually a total misreading of the Jar Jar character. Nobody laughs at Jar Jar in the diegesis - not Anakin, and not anyone else. When he gets in a slapstick fight with a droid, Anakin just explains how to stop the droid.

This is because Jar Jar is ultimately just some dude, suffering misfortunes. He stepped on some poo poo - so what? Nobody cares. Jar Jar stepping in poo poo is a cosmic joke. We in the audience are given that broader perspective.

The Neo-EU is now presenting this desperate claim (a retcon) that Jar Jar was all along nothing but a clown - not the protagonist of his film. The author fantasizes that Jar Jar was being mocked and jeered by those around him - even though no such thing happens in any film.
It's like how the EU has to retroactively rewrite Han Solo as always having been a hero who had just become disillusioned, fallen on hard times, and turned to crime some time before ANH. Even the stripe on his loving trousers is explained as a military decoration. A hero turned "scoundrel," as Leia calls, him because scoundrel sounds better than "petty drug-smuggling grifter."

When the truth is that everyone else in the movie treats him like a lowlife because he's a lowlife.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!

Halloween Jack posted:

It's like how the EU has to retroactively rewrite Han Solo as always having been a hero who had just become disillusioned, fallen on hard times, and turned to crime some time before ANH. Even the stripe on his loving trousers is explained as a military decoration. A hero turned "scoundrel," as Leia calls, him because scoundrel sounds better than "petty drug-smuggling grifter."

When the truth is that everyone else in the movie treats him like a lowlife because he's a lowlife.

"Han shot first" being, of course, catechism that is repeated without any understanding of what that characterization conveys- that he's a low life scumbag that will kill to get out of a debt.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I always respected that in Force Awakens they were willing to make Han a piece of poo poo person. Rather than a guy who always had a heart of gold but fell on hard times he's scumbag to rises up, falls in love with a princess, becomes a general, a war hero, and then goes back to being a scumbag when things get too real with his kid.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Hodgepodge posted:

"Han shot first" being, of course, catechism that is repeated without any understanding of what that characterization conveys- that he's a low life scumbag that will kill to get out of a debt.

Even that was BS. The shooting was 100% self defense, it was both moral and, in the real world, would have been legal. That he was in that scrape in the first place might be an indicator of his scum status, but the shooting itself proved he was a sneaky bad rear end.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Even that was BS. The shooting was 100% self defense, it was both moral and, in the real world, would have been legal. That he was in that scrape in the first place might be an indicator of his scum status, but the shooting itself proved he was a sneaky bad rear end.

The real lesson is that being a scumbag is morally preferable to being a prince(ss).

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
In the prequels Jar Jar Binks basically had John McCain's career.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

General Dog posted:

Bomb bomb bomb, bomb bombad!

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

General Dog posted:

So does Anakin/Vader

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Neo Rasa posted:

I always respected that in Force Awakens they were willing to make Han a piece of poo poo person. Rather than a guy who always had a heart of gold but fell on hard times he's scumbag to rises up, falls in love with a princess, becomes a general, a war hero, and then goes back to being a scumbag when things get too real with his kid.

Han and Leia's relationship falling apart is real true to the characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Well, yeah, you don't have the characters laugh at the clown in the text itself. But he's still presented in that role as part of the ensemble- he comes from the tradition of the comic sidekick.

So while this passage does arguably break the fourth wall some by explicitly acknowledging his "clowning" as an active trait, there's a certain pathos there that I like.

• Locked thread