Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Wikkheiser posted:

I remember seeing Milo on a British T.V. show years ago and the other panelists just laughed at him.

And then he went away.

Why can't we just do that?

Americans think British people sound really smart and important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
okay no one cares but yeah trip report:

mayher's show has a really cool intro and actually cool music but then some old smug shithead narrates some bullshit for like 10 minutes and turns out thats the host

and milo is simpering and mayher pretty much lets him get away with everything

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
a sad thought: the only person on this show i don't hate is larry willmore

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

maher is sympathetic to milo because maher also hates transpeople and muslims

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Did Bill Maher used to be less insufferable (like 10 years ago) or do I have Bush-Tinted glasses?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i was going to see maher because mom bought tickets and

i wasn't really into it but she did it anyways so i kinda had to go

and sure why not

but then he canceled the show and rescheduled for ... april sometime i think

so it's still on!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Why are you guys surprised that a bigoted racist shithead is enabling another bigoted racist shithead get more followers.

Bill Maher is a scumbag of the highest order and he shouldn't at all be considered a progressive.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
I don't think anyone considers Bill a progressive, he's literally the caricature of a limosuine liberal.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Ace of Baes posted:

I don't think anyone considers Bill a progressive, he's literally the caricature of a limosuine liberal.
I would agree with this.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

What Milo has been saying is no worse, no more shocking than what people like Limbaugh, Coulter, O'Reilly and others have been saying since the early 90's.

Key is to stop getting outraged, let others hand his rear end in a debate, and he'll eventually be shrugged off in about 5-10 years like the people I just mentioned.

[quote="Al-Saqr" post=""469527023"]
Why are you guys surprised that a bigoted racist shithead is enabling another bigoted racist shithead get more followers.

Bill Maher is a scumbag of the highest order and he shouldn't at all be considered a progressive.
[/quote]

He hates religion, not a particular race of people.

He's said some really nasty comments about Christians, Catholics too. He's r/atheist, not some anti-muslim Donald Trump-like figure.

I'm not a fan of the guy, but to be offended and think he singles out Islam for his criticism is very short sighted.

Ace of Baes posted:

accurate.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Bill Maher lost his TV show for saying the 9/11 hijackers weren't cowards and made an entire documentary about how lovely Christianity is, he def hates religion in general, the issue is western Muslims are a marginalized group with a rise in hate crimes, I think in Bills head (im presuming a lot here) the only way Dems can win is to have a more "realist" view on Islam, I think it's a vast oversimplification to compare him to somebody like Milo or Richard Spencer or w.e.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

What Milo has been saying is no worse, no more shocking than what people like Limbaugh, Coulter, O'Reilly and others have been saying since the early 90's.

Key is to stop getting outraged, let others hand his rear end in a debate, and he'll eventually be shrugged off in about 5-10 years like the people I just mentioned.

Yeah it's not like Donald trump is president and old-timey racism and anti-Semitism and pure hatred against blacks, muslims and minorities in general is making a big come back and it's not like crazed right wing radical racists are picking up guns and shooting up innocent muslims in mosques or anything like that nope reason and defeating hitler by his own logic will shame him.

FuzzySkinner posted:

He hates religion, not a particular race of people.

He's said some really nasty comments about Christians, Catholics too. He's r/atheist, not some anti-muslim Donald Trump-like figure.

I'm not a fan of the guy, but to be offended and think he singles out Islam for his criticism is very short sighted.

accurate.

He's a gigantic islamophobe and is bigoted against muslims, he's gone on record multiple times that he considers Islam uniquely evil amongst all religions, he has on multiple times expressed his unique disdain for that religion and followers of it with ZERO knowledge of what he's talking about, he has also constantly invited rabidly anti-muslim racists and bigots like that creep sam harris and has agreed with them many times in ways that if they said it against black people or Jews he'd be a bum in the street. Not only that, he absolutely refuses to invite muslims who would challenge him on his views and has slandered American civil rights activists and muslims like Linda sarsour on live television by calling her a dangerous islamist theocrat for no loving reason with that rear end hole Harris.

Sorry he's not a free and affair critic of all religions he's a giant loving hypocrite and it doesn't take much to clearly see that based off of what he says.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

^^^^

See my link below.

Ace of Baes posted:

Bill Maher lost his TV show for saying the 9/11 hijackers weren't cowards and made an entire documentary about how lovely Christianity is, he def hates religion in general, the issue is western Muslims are a marginalized group with a rise in hate crimes, I think in Bills head (im presuming a lot here) the only way Dems can win is to have a more "realist" view on Islam, I think it's a vast oversimplification to compare him to somebody like Milo or Richard Spencer or w.e.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im36HPyS7bU

He has opinions like you mentioned above, but he's also had the likes of Keith Ellison on the show to discuss the issue. He's a smarmy douche don't get me wrong, but at least he seems to be a somewhat intellectually honest smarmy douche.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
He's also had Reza Aslan and Maajid Nawaz on. (I think he should invite Shadi Hamid.)

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
mayher is loving terrible and milo is loving terrible

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i hate mayher more tho, at least no one respects or defends milo

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

^^^^

See my link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im36HPyS7bU

He has opinions like you mentioned above, but he's also had the likes of Keith Ellison on the show to discuss the issue. He's a smarmy douche don't get me wrong, but at least he seems to be a somewhat intellectually honest smarmy douche.

Lol except that link actually proves my point that he believes that muslims are fundamentally suspicious and that islam is the cause of all terrorism and that the holy book is the root of all the evil. what were you trying to prove here that he's not a bigot? lol.

Wikkheiser posted:

He's also had Reza Aslan and Maajid Nawaz on. (I think he should invite Shadi Hamid.)

Maajid Nawaz is One of the guys allied to the anti-muslim movement, that cocksucker has been at the forefront of fostering anti-muslim hate and paranoia in Britain, he's also demonized and attacked multiple mainstream muslim organizations in Britain and labeled them as al-Qaeda sympathizers to please his backers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noOPNkxQE9M

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Al-Saqr has issued a correction as of 14:47 on Feb 18, 2017

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I think Maher pulled Milo on because Maher is a giant baby who can't bomb a joke without blaming it on political correctness (it's also loving obnoxious when misunderstands "ooooh" as a boo) and wanted to circle-jerk over political correctness, and Milo is the hotness in that regard. Except he didn't really understand what Milo was actually about and just assumed he was another tortured soul. You could hear Maher just kind of start doing the math in his head when Milo said something about gays always being late that he may have misread the situation. It was around the time Milo said there's a "statistic" that trans people are inordinately child molesters that Maher finally gets it and when Milo pulls out some lovely insult about the panel being stupid that he starts telling Milo to literally shut the gently caress up and starts making him look like the child that he is.

Ace of Baes posted:

Did Bill Maher used to be less insufferable (like 10 years ago) or do I have Bush-Tinted glasses?

Eh, sorta. I'm way over his show but kind of watch it out of habit for the occasional chuckle, and his stand-up was the first time I ever really walked out on something (it was awful, the AC was broken, and someone was having a party). Bill made a decent case a few weeks ago about the left having misguided priorities like forcing celebrities to apologize about Halloween costumes while Republicans in Congress blocked important reforms. The problem is that he's far too often stuck up his own rear end to read into context like when people criticize his Muslim remarks. He doesn't really get that it may not be that we're defending ISIS, but that we may want to not give ammunition for further marginalizing western Muslims who are also targets for physical violence.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
maher is super unfunny and so is milo but i have to say milo's gimmick really works on me. like his diction and enunciation and speech patterns combined with the content of what he says make me want to punch stuff. just bein honest

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Yeah it works on me to a degree as well. Milo reminds me of when bullies in school knew when adults were looking and how to press other kids' buttons so that the other kids would make the next move and get themselves in trouble.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
liberals are seriously the dumbest people in the world for giving him attention and trying to teach the controversy or whatever. literally first two lines exchanged in the interview:

maher: you're really controversial
milo: I don't understand *why* tee hee :sissies:

like yea pop culture is degraded and retarded and makes you dumber in general but maher actually thinks he has like intellectual rigor and integrity for inviting bottom feeding pondscum like milo onto his show. im pretty sure no one watches it and milo probably didn't gain too much exposure in a practical sense though

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

WarEternal posted:

Oh... wait.

Joe Rogan's a moron and just gives these people another space to spew their bullshit in with only mild disagreement.

These people aren't going to disappear or suddenly give up on anything, so I'd rather have Joe Rogan present himself as a friendly, dumb, non-threatening figure to erngage with. Because none of these morons can even handle "mild disagreement." They live in the posting world where every response can be perfectly formulated, or they have their own platforms where they're allowed to just say whatever they want unchallenged. Yet they can't deal with Joe Rogan getting serious for five minutes.

gently caress the haters, Joe Rogan owns.

Ace of Baes posted:

Bill Maher lost his TV show for saying the 9/11 hijackers weren't cowards and made an entire documentary about how lovely Christianity is, he def hates religion in general

The real teachable moment about Maher from that documentary was when he ambushed an anti-Zionist rabbi instead of letting him make a point, then edited the interview to make the rabbi look as dumb as possible.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 10:54 on Feb 18, 2017

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Baloogan posted:

mayher is loving terrible and milo is loving terrible

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

WarEternal posted:

unchallenged when Crowder talks about how public schools are built for "how women learn" and that men are better at shop class and math

Are you saying these things aren't true?

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

The running theme of this season of Real Time is interviewing wolves in sheep's clothing and complimenting their wool.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/e8ghtye8ght/status/832273891426988032

https://twitter.com/RichardBSpencer/status/831953096846753792

https://twitter.com/sbpdl/status/832041615686524928

https://twitter.com/sbpdl/status/832325643895439362

really, REALLY wish i could punch that paul fucker through the computer.

Every. Single. Thing he says is pure White Nationalist Virtue Signaling bullshit.

like i legit wish there was a way i could stop his poo poo "books" from being distributed on Amazon:bang: [/meltdown]

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/rosalindzadams/status/833017648329940993

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

MasterSitsu posted:

The running theme of this season of Real Time is interviewing wolves in sheep's clothing and complimenting their wool.

That was sad. I expecting Bill to at least try.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

makes sense, our equivalent of the altright has been active since the 2000s here

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

mysterious frankie posted:

That was sad. I expecting Bill to at least try.

Not only did he not try but he endorsed doxxing trans people, or at least said it was "reasonable" jfc

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Did someone try to kill her?

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/TheFootwearMan/status/832730082452004864

i love braindead, insecure MRAs :allears:

BornAPoorBlkChild has issued a correction as of 20:46 on Feb 18, 2017

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
The way I see this playing out is that all these unfunny YouTube hacks are going to get embraced by the right-wing who will gently coo in their ears that it's not their fault that people don't think farting and screaming over game footage is good enough reason to overlook lovely behavior, it's the darn feminists and SJWs ruining comedy! JonTron and PewDiePie will start hanging out with all these people who go out of their way to comfort their hurt feefees and then turn into outright fascists as the epistemic closure seals them in.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

These people aren't going to disappear or suddenly give up on anything, so I'd rather have Joe Rogan present himself as a friendly, dumb, non-threatening figure to erngage with. Because none of these morons can even handle "mild disagreement." They live in the posting world where every response can be perfectly formulated, or they have their own platforms where they're allowed to just say whatever they want unchallenged. Yet they can't deal with Joe Rogan getting serious for five minutes.

gently caress the haters, Joe Rogan owns.

Except for the parts where Joe Rogan lets him spew bullshit unchallenged (Crowder anyway, from the hour of it I watched, the only part he was challenged on was weed, big surprise the only thing Joe Rogan knows anything about other than UFC). Then the part where Joe Rogan later apologized for even that.

spacetoaster posted:

Yes, they're not true, you loving moron. Schools are not "built for how women learn" and men are not genetically better at learning how to loving build bird houses, Jesus Christ.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Baloogan posted:

:hai:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

WarEternal posted:

Except for the parts where Joe Rogan lets him spew bullshit unchallenged

:shrug:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Baloogan posted:

My brother defends him

hes dumb

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Drunkboxer posted:

My brother defends him

hes dumb

Honestly that show is the first time ive actually bothered to watch milo for any extended period of time. the whole coy "I'm just being controversial" act is exhausting to watch. Definitively low effort trolling, hey ill just say something lovely and then act smug and condescending about how you just dont get my edgy humor. :rolleyes:

what a sad sack of poo poo, and double on bill maher for trivializing it like its nbd.

on the other hand, :tviv: larry wilmore. :swoon:

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

spacetoaster posted:

Lol check out this post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Bill Maher is a great example of how the liberal "resistance" during the Bush era, were just a bunch of mediocre shitheads who seemed way more appealing compared to the establishment. Politics haven't developed at all since 2003 and you can't make them see otherwise.