Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Kyte posted:

I... kind of despise pickles, vinegar, vinegar-based products, most spicy stuff and what little I've tried of you guys' salad dressings. Sorry.

how do you survive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I actually prefer a dill pickle on the side rather than on the burger, but I'm a picky eater and usually only have cheese and onion on mine when I make them at home.

Someday I'll actually get off my butt and try cooking some of the stuff out of this manga that isn't one of the insanely complicated dishes. :v:

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Bread and butter pickles are better for snacking on their own, dill pickles work both as a single snack and on burgers/hot dogs.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

A hot dog except instead of a dog it's just an entire pickle

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Eat a burger with no pickles, half an hour later have a pickle as a snack. It's the only way to live :colbert:.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
:ohdear: i eat ketchup on my burgers. it fills out the flavor profile well .

Meat&Cheese: savory flavor and fat

Pickles(they should be good thick and crunchy): sourness and crunch

Ketchup : sweet extra moisture

you can add extras but that's the essentials of a good burger.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't mind eating half a pickle alongside a smoked meat sandwich or whatever, but I don't like pickle slices in my burger.

My dislike of pickles comes mostly from the texture as opposed to the taste, to be honest.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Hate-Senpai posted:

I don't mind eating half a pickle alongside a smoked meat sandwich or whatever, but I don't like pickle slices in my burger.

My dislike of pickles comes mostly from the texture as opposed to the taste, to be honest.

This is why baby dills are the best.

The crunch of cucumbers, with the flavour of pickles.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Today's pickle craving: Tsukemono made with sake kasu from the distillery out in Berkeley, or pickled chinese cabbage.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Compendium posted:

how do you survive
Lots of raw veggies as salads, particularly tomatoes and leafy greens. Usually dressed with lemon juice, salt and sunflower oil.
Also stuff like snow peas, corn (our local variety is similar to sweetcorn, I think. Or maybe dent corn? Not sure), string beans and zapallo (it's a variety of pumpkin but with a flavor similar to butternut squash, from what I've heard) as part of stew-like products such as cazuela and carbonada.

And onions. Tons of onions. And carrots too. Sautee them along with some protein and they can go with almost anything or become the base for stuff like spaghetti sauce.

Actually, now that I think of it I think pickles aren't super common in food here. Like, they sell them and people eat them, but like a cocktail food, not part of other dishes. Or maybe I haven't been paying attention. Overall preserves here aren't as common, either way.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Feb 18, 2017

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Kyte posted:

Usually dressed with lemon juice,

that's basically a pickle

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i like burgers with fried onions and steak sauce, though i don't feel the need to try to make my personal preferences seem like an inherently superior choice

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i like burgers with fried onions and steak sauce, though i don't feel the need to try to make my personal preferences seem like an inherently superior choice

If you're posting here, then I have some bad news for you.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Futaba Anzu posted:

that's basically a pickle

I thought you pickled stuff on vinegar.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

You're all right with me Serious Frol.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Ah, the double reverse superior preference where it's implied "I don't even need to explain why it's superior, It Just Is. :smug:"

I gotta try this burg.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Kyte posted:

Plenty of brine pickles. It's just a method of preservation.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Ah, the double reverse superior preference where it's implied "I don't even need to explain why it's superior, It Just Is. :smug:"

I gotta try this burg.

it is all subjective, man.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Fried onions are always a good idea.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Crasical posted:

Fried onions are always a good idea.

The best, except with mushrooms

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Fried onions steaksauce and a pickle is also a good burg topping best used with a good smoked cheese

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
When's cheesechat

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

TheKingofSprings posted:

When's cheesechat

there's nothing like a good nut(ty ched')

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

gouda? more like, "how-da" gently caress does this cheese taste so "good...a"

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Speaking of burgerchat I just had my first In-n-Out burger and it was actually really good. Fries where kinda weird but not bad (floury in texture, not very crispy, not very salty), The burger spread is kind of amazing, I want more of it..

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think we can all agree that the burger shokugeki produced nothing but abominations, though

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

i think we can all agree that the burger shokugeki produced nothing but abominations, though

Hisako forgot the pickles and Hayama should've been thrown out on his rear end

I'm sure they would've tasted good though

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Kyte posted:

What? No. At its most basic, most primitive form, pickling is taking food, putting it into water, submerging it to wild yeast, and then storing it in a cool, dark place. It's called "lactic acid fermentation" and if anyone is going to try and claim that things like sauerkraut should be done any other way, they got another thing coming.

Vinegar pickling is... It's lazy. You're not letting the yeasts develop their own acids, you're just dumping in some of your own and letting it punch away at your food so you can have them tomorrow.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Crasical posted:

Speaking of burgerchat I just had my first In-n-Out burger and it was actually really good. Fries where kinda weird but not bad (floury in texture, not very crispy, not very salty), The burger spread is kind of amazing, I want more of it..

I'm a SoCal native, I consider it a blessing to live near four In-N-Outs within driving distance.

If you ever get the chance again, you can ask for the fries to be extra crispy and you can always get salt packets (their salt is nice in my opinion).

Freshly cut potatoes don't make for a crispy fry which is kind of a double edged sword for In-N-Out. On the one hand, freshly cut and freshly fried. On the other hand, you won't get the crisp crust and creamy interior that you'd get w/ a brine and/or frozen fries.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Compendium posted:

Freshly cut potatoes don't make for a crispy fry which is kind of a double edged sword for In-N-Out. On the one hand, freshly cut and freshly fried. On the other hand, you won't get the crisp crust and creamy interior that you'd get w/ a brine and/or frozen fries.

This. McDonald's fries are the way they are specifically because they are blanched, and then twice-fried and frozen in between. I will second ordering them extra crispy, it turns them into something closer to potato chips.

If you're interested in the science: http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/05/the-burger-lab-how-to-make-perfect-mcdonalds-style-french-fries.html

edit: Also I think In-N-Out salt is popcorn salt?

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 19, 2017

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Chapter 204: http://mangastream.com/r/shokugeki_no_souma/204/4056/1

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I'm not even sure where Erina got the reputation for being unable to stand up to Azami given she ran away from home already.

Also, lol at Rindou's sled.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm not even sure where Erina got the reputation for being unable to stand up to Azami given she ran away from home already.

It was Alice that got her out.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

yeah mostly she got it by being completely unable to stand up to azami

speaking of if you still think he's a bad character after he skiied down a mountain out of convenience, go home

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
What I hate is how they hosed up the translation of why he skied down the hill.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

How can one man possibly be so edgy and yet so utterly silly at the same time?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
because shokugeki no soma is a manga that includes jokes

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

because shokugeki no soma is a manga that includes jokes

And it's so wonderful for it. :allears:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So it seems that there are six Elite 10 members on the Central side and four on the Protagonists' side so far. I expect Isshiki and Kuga to make the teams even, but who knows? Who of the Polar Star dorm hasn't been expelled yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Stupid sexy food Hitler.