Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
https://twitter.com/taviso/status/832768915138678784

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Cloudflare just announced support for generic TOTP 2FA apps, beyond the sole option available previously (Authy), specifically naming Google Authenticator... Probably some sort of bypass issue related to that change.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
windows 10 home apparently doesn't come with bitlocker. how bout that.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

James Baud posted:

Cloudflare just announced support for generic TOTP 2FA apps, beyond the sole option available previously (Authy), specifically naming Google Authenticator... Probably some sort of bypass issue related to that change.

Authy keeps a copy of your private keys (or whatever the secret is called for totp) on their servers iirc and I never liked that idea

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
i thought that maybe i should enable disk encryption on my laptop, but it has windows 10 home on it and welp

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wheany posted:

windows 10 home apparently doesn't come with bitlocker. how bout that.
by pro version that costs 3 medium lattes more? :shrug:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Windows 10 Home to Pro upgrade costs $100 USD, which is 50% off the MSRP of $200 USD.

It's not 3 lattes but it's still not a bad price if you really need bitlocker.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Jesus christ this guy is a menace :stare:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Cardboard Box A posted:

Windows 10 Home to Pro upgrade costs $100 USD, which is 50% off the MSRP of $200 USD.

It's not 3 lattes but it's still not a bad price if you really need bitlocker.

well on one had, i don't really need bitlocker, but on the other, doesn't everybody need it? like it probably shouldn't be a "pro" feature in cyber year 2015

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wheany posted:

well on one had, i don't really need bitlocker, but on the other, doesn't everybody need it? like it probably shouldn't be a "pro" feature in cyber year 2015
yeah i desperately need to encrypt my anime trove and configuration files for counter strike: global offensive

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

what if state actors are out there after my nickleback anime music videos

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
who cares windows 10 is free software anyway

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Wheany posted:

maybe i'm cynical but upselling is the reason IMO. a large majority of users don't know what bitlocker is and dont care so microsoft can make it a pro feature and get more money from the people who do know and care without affecting regular users.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

cinci zoo sniper posted:

yeah i desperately need to encrypt my anime trove and configuration files for counter strike: global offensive

uhhuh

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

don't get me wrong, i encrypt my portable electronics that can realistically be lost somewhere. i dont see much benefit for doing so with my personal desktop computer i play video games on at home

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

cinci zoo sniper posted:

don't get me wrong, i encrypt my portable electronics that can realistically be lost somewhere. i dont see much benefit for doing so with my personal desktop computer i play video games on at home

hmmm

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

did you lose ability to express yourself coherently

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Is it still the case that the sort of person who'll break into your house to steal your electronic equipment won't give a poo poo about your data, or are we far enough into lovely future land that he'll sell any personal data he finds?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Chalks posted:

Is it still the case that the sort of person who'll break into your house to steal your electronic equipment won't give a poo poo about your data, or are we far enough into lovely future land that he'll sell any personal data he finds?
big city americans probably have been far enough into the lovely future land for years now

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it's more than likely your desktop (and non-business laptop) won't have a tpm anyway so having bitlocker won't be all that useful

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Nobody ever gave me a convincing counter argument to my suggestion that SATA passwords are as good as FDE for all adversaries less powerful than the NSA (in which case you're hosed anyway FDE or no FDE).

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

can a sata password be bypassed with a logic board swap?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

source your quotes

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

minivanmegafun posted:

can a sata password be bypassed with a logic board swap?

depends. on some ssds the sata password mechanism is a potentially deece fde (*), but sata is a very pc industry standard so you'd better be sure your particular drive mfr did it right before you depend on it

* - dense flash media can have problems storing some bit patterns - long runs of ones, zeroes, etc. running all the data through encryption helps with that, since the output of good crypto looks like noise. so, there are a poo poo ton of ssds that always encrypt everything written to flash. the algorithm is usually aes-128 or -256 in counter mode

out of the box these drives store the data encryption key in the clear so the drive can function without any unlocking. if the user sets a sata password, a fresh random aes key gets generated (effectively wiping the drive!) and encrypted with the sata PW, so now the system must provide the sata PW in order to unlock the drive. this is more or less equivalent to popular assumed-to-be-good FDE schemes like bitlocker and filevault2, but with everything implemented inside the drive. i don't windows much but i seem to recall that bitlocker can operate in a mode where it actually relies on the sata drive to do all the work

personally i'd rather rely on operating system "soft" FDE because LOL if you think that storage devices have reliably competent implementations of anything. also the OS is more likely to get security patches.

Robpol86
Dec 30, 2004
--Null--

Sapozhnik posted:

Nobody ever gave me a convincing counter argument to my suggestion that SATA passwords are as good as FDE for all adversaries less powerful than the NSA (in which case you're hosed anyway FDE or no FDE).

In 2011 my hard drive password wouldn't work anymore. I ended up paying $50 for a license for software that removes the password without erasing the drive.

I think it was http://www.hdd-tools.com/products/rrs/ but I can't find the email anymore. The software removed my SATA password I set in the BIOS for my hard drive and I still had my data.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
fragments of the HackingTeam agent for OS X found in the APT28* equivalent: https://objective-see.com/blog/blog_0x18.html
probably a copy-paste job from the hackingteam leak :newlol:

* the russians

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
There is a so called high security mode and a so called maximum security mode

I assume the "high" security mode works on the honor system or smth

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sapozhnik posted:

There is a so called high security mode and a so called maximum security mode

I assume the "high" security mode works on the honor system or smth

the encryption key is set to "420" regardless of what you type in

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Security level setting names are like condom sizes

Ain't nobody gonna buy a pack o small condoms

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

hackbunny posted:

fragments of the HackingTeam agent for OS X found in the APT28* equivalent: https://objective-see.com/blog/blog_0x18.html
probably a copy-paste job from the hackingteam leak :newlol:

* the russians
mixing adversary techniques into your code sounds pretty commonplace for confusing future analysis

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/AlecMuffett/status/833076449942843394

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah I was looking for that the other day. loving google.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

spankmeister posted:

Yeah I was looking for that the other day. loving google.

it has been in place since before christmas too

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol google is garbage

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Safari is chrome stable (and also not hot garbage)

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

eight? what?

press F12 -> pick 'Security' tab -> click 'view certificate'

still one more than 'click lock next to URL' -> 'click view info' but eh

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Munkeymon posted:

eight? what?

still one more than 'click lock next to URL' -> 'click view info' but eh
in chrome there is no "view info" link when you click the lock icon next to a url

there is a "learn more" link that goes here https://support.google.com/chrome/?p=ui_security_indicator

there is a link to the cookies used for the site, if there are cookies

there is a site settings link at the bottom that goes here chrome://settings/content

they removed any way to easily view the certificate for an https site a long time ago

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

anthonypants posted:

in chrome there is no "view info" link when you click the lock icon next to a url

there is a "learn more" link that goes here https://support.google.com/chrome/?p=ui_security_indicator

there is a link to the cookies used for the site, if there are cookies

there is a site settings link at the bottom that goes here chrome://settings/content

they removed any way to easily view the certificate for an https site a long time ago

Munkeymon posted:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Wheany posted:

looks like windows 10 home at least supports bitlocker-to-go, at least when the usb drive has been encrypted in windows 10 pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
just download some lovely windows 7 pro iso and upgrade to windows 10, jeez

• Locked thread