Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, there's a very stark difference between the image that Mark Cuban wants to portray of himself and his actual track record. He lucked out on the IT bubble and has been objectively worse at growing his fortune than a S&P500 index fund. (for those of you who don't speak finance, it means you're not a good investor) However, he is also a surprisingly talented basketball-team owner. I don't think people would be as hard on him if he wasn't trying to live this 'genius investor' lie that Shark Tank solidified in the public consciousness for him.

Basically, think Trump but without the nepotism, misogyny and hatred for minorities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I thought Hanneman was a mish mash of different people.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
I'm sure the ways in which he is not like Cuban are ways he is like dozens of other people who exist, sure. Hanneman is majority Mark Cuban, Extra Douchey.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hanneman fans should watch Good Girls Revolt.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
In Cuban's defense, beating the S&P 500 isn't an easy thing to do.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

There's definitely more than some of Sean Parker as portrayed in The Social Network in Russ Hanneman.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

TheAngryDrunk posted:

A corpse would quite literally manage his assets better.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Yeah but doing worse than it means that you put extra effort into losing your money.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I don't think comparing his total net worth vs the S&P 500 is fair though, if that's the method you're using. If he is living like a rich person he could be spending tens or hundreds of millions of dollars a year on mansions and yachts. It's not like he would have all 3 commas parked in an index fund if he wasn't investing it himself.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

MiddleOne posted:

A corpse would quite literally manage his assets better.

Well the whole reason index fund investing is so huge right now is that there's very, very few people on this planet that can consistently beat the broad indices decade after decade. In other words, you could argue he's about as bad as most professional investors.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I don't think comparing his total net worth vs the S&P 500 is fair though, if that's the method you're using. If he is living like a rich person he could be spending tens or hundreds of millions of dollars a year on mansions and yachts. It's not like he would have all 3 commas parked in an index fund if he wasn't investing it himself.

I don't think you get the sheer amount of money we're talking about here. A 100 million dollars is 200 Lamborghini's give or take. A billion dollars is not the kind of money that is actually spendable when put towards consumer goods unless you make it your life purpose. This is further compunded by many high-end consumer goods such as Rolex's and sport cars actually accumulating in value over time in comparison to their lower-consumer grade brothers and sisters due to the low circulation. Mansion's are even worse in this regard, just like your lovely condo they can accumulate in value without actually having any money put into them. He'd have to been spending in ways which would put the collective Saudia Arabian royalty to shame to support your thesis.

You don't get it. Even with the 2008 financial crisis, the S&P500 has as of today grown by over 200% (that is x3) since the bottom-end of the IT bubble downturn in 2002 (Mark liquidated at the absolute top of the bubble). To put this into perspective, we're talking literal billions of dollars of potential return on investment that he could have had in his pocket today by putting the money into an index fund and devoting not even a millisecond of additional thought to what was going on with his money for the next 14 years.

If a fiduciary financial advisor managed his money this poorly he'd be liable for legal action, it'd be criminal levels of negligence.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8sCCf82Nf8

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Well that's some good news! Wish it wasn't two months out.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Looks good!

Pope Guilty posted:

Well that's some good news! Wish it wasn't two months out.

Two months isn't really that long..

Coolie Ghost
Jan 16, 2013

sensible dissent dispenser

"new internet"

please don't be about urbit please don't be about urbit

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Coolie Ghost posted:

"new internet"

please don't be about urbit please don't be about urbit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1qroWiZF90

comedy loving gold.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I never heard of this. Here's what Wikipedia has to say:

Wikipedia posted:

Curtis Guy Yarvin (born 1973), also known by his pen name Mencius Moldbug, is an American computer scientist, political theorist, and neoreactionary thinker.[1] His writings have played a foundational role in the formation of the neoreactionary movement.[5] He is the creator of the Urbit computing platform,[6][7] through his startup company Tlon (backed by Peter Thiel[8]), and the author of the blog Unqualified Reservations.

Yarvn's opinions have been described as racist, with his writings interpreted as supportive of slavery, including the belief that whites have higher IQs than blacks for genetic reasons. Yarvin himself maintains that he is not a racist because, while he doubts that "all races are equally smart," the notion "that people who score higher on IQ tests are in some sense superior human beings" is "creepy". He also disputes that he agrees with the institution of slavery[6][16] but has argued that some races are more suited to slavery than others.[17]
Sounds like a really nice guy!

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

This.... This is viral marketing for the new season, right?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Let's see, weirdo has a weirdo idea for how to fix the world, aaaaaand he's a white supremacist. Ok.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

I like how it starts out a stream of techno gibberish and then gets really, really culty at the end.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

It's a bad and difficult to use CMS server, but also has a blockchain for some reason which is TOTALLY NOT A TROJAN TO STEAL CPU, and also there's a centralized authority because we don't trust centralized authorities, please give us money the space music means we're super smart spiritual leaders lalalalalalalalalala internet 2.0.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
All you had to say was "blockchain" and I'd be on board because I'm mentally retarded.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

mrmcd posted:

I like how it starts out a stream of techno gibberish and then gets really, really culty at the end.

urbit is literally digital feudalism. they talk about owning your own data and having your own computer but they seldom mention that the communication protocol is strictly hierarchical and that you literally can't communicate without the blessing of your digital lord. they pay lip service to letting people transfer their allegiance to new lords but guess who owns 70% of the sum total of available lordships in perpetuitiy. no prizes for guessing "a bunch of creepy white supremacists who wish we still had kimgs"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Y'all gonna have to dumb it down even further for me

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Y'all gonna have to dumb it down even further for me

Nerds selling virtual fiefdoms to other nerds due to the idiosyncratic nerd assumption that cryptographically secured peer-to-peer communication is the only thing that will allow the human race to reach it's potential, and once the plebs understand that, the benevolent Nerd-Kings will be there, sitting on their virtual thrones, holding the keys to the magical digital republics of the future.

To be a bit serious, it does go a bit further than that. The creators imagine a future where everyone can code their own apps and examine the code they want to run, starting out with social apps that everyone uses like Facebook, and eventually transferring all governance infrastructure to this system, which in combination with a citizen body that can engage with it on equal and transparent terms, will achieve True Democracy.

If this sounds like science fiction, it's because the only practical thing to come out of it is the buying and sale of digital real estate that doesn't do much but needs to justify it's potential value.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Rexides posted:

Nerds selling virtual fiefdoms to other nerds due to the idiosyncratic nerd assumption that cryptographically secured peer-to-peer communication is the only thing that will allow the human race to reach it's potential, and once the plebs understand that, the benevolent Nerd-Kings will be there, sitting on their virtual thrones, holding the keys to the magical digital republics of the future.

To be a bit serious, it does go a bit further than that. The creators imagine a future where everyone can code their own apps and examine the code they want to run, starting out with social apps that everyone uses like Facebook, and eventually transferring all governance infrastructure to this system, which in combination with a citizen body that can engage with it on equal and transparent terms, will achieve True Democracy.

If this sounds like science fiction, it's because the only practical thing to come out of it is the buying and sale of digital real estate that doesn't do much but needs to justify it's potential value.

So, Snow Crash

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I just reread this the other day

quote:

This reputation originated in a prophecy given by the oracle at Delphi to his friend Chaerephon. Chaerephon asked the omniscient oracle if there was anyone wiser than Socrates, and the priestess replied that there was not.

Socrates recounts how he took this news with great puzzlement: he knew the oracle could not lie, and yet he was only too aware that he had no particular wisdom or specialized knowledge at all. In order to test the oracle, or to prove it wrong, Socrates sought out and questioned Athenian men who were highly esteemed for wisdom.

First, he interrogated the politicians, then the poets, and then the skilled craftsmen. In questioning the politicians, he found that though they thought they were very wise, they did not in fact know much of anything at all.

The poets, though they wrote great works of genius, seemed incapable of explaining them, and Socrates concluded that their genius came not from wisdom but from some sort of instinct or inspiration which was in no way connected to their intellect. Furthermore, these poets seemed to think they could speak intelligently about all sorts of matters concerning which they were quite ignorant.

In the craftsmen, Socrates found men who truly did have great wisdom in their craft, but invariably, they seemed to think that their expertise in one field allowed them to speak authoritatively in many other fields, about which they knew nothing. In each case, Socrates affirmed that he would rather be as he is, knowing that he knows nothing, than to be inflated by a false sense of his own great wisdom. Thus, he concludes, he truly is wiser than other men because he does not think he knows what he does not know.

http://www.sparknotes.com/philosophy/apology/section3.rhtml

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I hope the show puts more parody ads up on the 101.

Made me laugh my rear end off when I say the promo billboards and how it captured the vague, weird feel of Tech Bro startup ads.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Rexides posted:

So instead of running Facebook on Chrome, using Facebook's servers and an industry standard code, I would run whatever "Facebook" code I prefer on a small amount of space I rent for my code, and then reconcile it with everyone else's own personal codes so that I could actually see the other content on Facebook?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I thought it was a joke because he was saying "you can have your own personal cloud server" and I thought he was making a joke of having people get computers and call them personal clouds or whatever.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Rexides posted:

So they're trying to build an alternative to IP and then reboot the ISP industry with a monopoly on address access?

Coolie Ghost
Jan 16, 2013

sensible dissent dispenser

loving lol, i forgot about this. it's literally perfectly clickhole's Man Mumbles Bitcoin Explanation At You https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4APcgsRdW6w

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

So instead of running Facebook on Chrome, using Facebook's servers and an industry standard code, I would run whatever "Facebook" code I prefer on a small amount of space I rent for my code, and then reconcile it with everyone else's own personal codes so that I could actually see the other content on Facebook?

Yeah, you could do that, or at least choose who hosts your page. You would still access it through your browser as normal, or rather, access other people's privately hosted pages through your browser. It would be slow as gently caress though with today's internet, though, but their assumption is that by the time the system is widely adopted, computational power and network speed will be sufficiently high. Implementations can be different, but as long as they share the same communication protocol it should not be a problem. Frankly, that's the absolutely least of my worries with the whole idea.

Caphi posted:

So they're trying to build an alternative to IP and then reboot the ISP industry with a monopoly on address access?

Kinda difficult to disrupt the ISP industry when they are the ones installing the cables. The whole thing is designed to work on top of current infrastructure, which is one of the more down to earth parts of the project.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Caphi posted:

Basically his business model is to get everybody to use his internet instead, which he can then collect rents on.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I watched their video, and some dopey looking dude was like

"say you want to build a tic tac toe game. You can just sit down and code it and be done in two hours. But ideally you'd design a tuc tac toe language that everyone can iterate on and use open source. That would take two years. When it's faster to do it wrong, no one will do it right."

If that's their underpinning philosophy, I don't need to know how it works technically to know it's loving stupid and no one will adopt it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Say you want to build a tic tac toe game. You can just sit down and use someone else's tic tac toe langauge and be done in two hours. but ideally, you would design your own tic tac toe language that no one will iterate on because they will build their own. That would take two years. When it's faster to do it wrong, no one will do it right.

I am introducing my brand new internet, durbit. It's like urbit but you build it yourself, and everyone else builds their own durbits. Then you pay me $10,000 to connect your durbits to my main durbit decentral using decentralized blockchain technology. It's a fashion forward, bleeding edge, top down, bottom up, farm to table internet that you create yourself and pay me for.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
But is durbit open source?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
For me, yes. For you, no. If you're one of the first 1,000 users, I will let you look at a screen shot of some of the source code.

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008
New trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mydFes629og

April 23 can't come fast enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Geddy Krueger posted:

New trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mydFes629og

April 23 can't come fast enough.

"Richard, You are a Bad Guy" pretty much has to be in the new thread title right???

• Locked thread