Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I feel boring and rote but I still have to give my vote to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf5Z7-W8C24

(I feel like there should be a collection of these that exists somewhere but I just cannot find)

Hmm, it's missing the "GO! GO! GO!" in the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
So when folks are saying that there's no licensed music in V's SEA version, does that apply to the entire game or just the preorder vocal bonus stuff? I'm pretty much considering my purchase because of this so yeah I'm curious about the details

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Endoh's Everywhere You Go always feels way too slow.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Hivac posted:

So when folks are saying that there's no licensed music in V's SEA version, does that apply to the entire game or just the preorder vocal bonus stuff? I'm pretty much considering my purchase because of this so yeah I'm curious about the details

I imagine it will still have their versions of each track like every other SRW game, just not the official licensed versions with lyrics.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hivac posted:

A) There is literally no proof of that and people are making weird assumptions without any proof
B) The game has a custom soundtrack option anyway.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

A) There is literally no proof of that and people are making weird assumptions without any proof
B) The game has a custom soundtrack option anyway.

I can't really afford to take a gamble on preordering something more expensive than normal when there's rumors abound, and it'd be nice to have music that won't loop like an early PSX game without taking up tons of space on my Vita's memory card if said rumors do turn out to be true.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hivac posted:

I can't really afford to take a gamble on preordering something more expensive than normal when there's rumors abound, and it'd be nice to have music that won't loop like an early PSX game without taking up tons of space on my Vita's memory card if said rumors do turn out to be true.

The rumors literally have no basis except that a trailer had generic music which has also happened for the Japanese versions of other games.

It's entirely on you if you don't want to but you're literally talking about a rumor with absolutely no basis behind it. Frankly I don't have the time or energy to try to convince you how to spend your money so I will say don't preorder it.

Edit: Like if it is that important than you can only wait because there's literally no more information. The rumor is just that, a rumor. Nobody can tell you anything more.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Feb 18, 2017

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Caphi posted:

Hearing "bum bum ONE TWO THREE" 50 times a game is the one thing I am tired of. I haven't decided what I'm replacing it with but I'll probably minimize my use of Daitarn to begin with even though he'll probably be broken as poo poo again. Zambot, too.
Do I have the Daitarn opening for you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_w3HLx8ZGE

Alternately https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2YVFoBYEdE

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Don't preorder video games. Just like, in general.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Oh yeah, these are definitely getting a run on my playthrough.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

WrightOfWay posted:

Don't preorder video games. Just like, in general.

You can't tell me what to do! I'm gonna pre-order this game, and use the King of Hearts theme for every Gundam!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZbdbtSObwQ

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I suppose someone could put Battlestar Galactica music over Yamato and it would fit pretty well.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Samurai Sanders posted:

I suppose someone could put Battlestar Galactica music over Yamato and it would fit pretty well.

gently caress that even if it's a good choice. I'll probably just go with podcasts but if I do music it's gonna be GWAR, Bolt Thrower, Sabaton, and Austrian Death Machine. With the Wu Tang for Yamato stuffs. Dirt McGirt with the dirtiest Wave Motion Gun! Shame on a Gamelon who puts blame on a Gamelon.

Sabaton's Night Witches kicks rear end as does Bolt Thrower's World Eater. Austrian Death Machines Get to the Choppa works pretty much for any escape mission.

GWAR has DEATH POD which owns and also Sick of You for any recurring Jerid type who keeps coming back no matter how many times you kill him. Their Onion cover / tribute to the fallen would work pretty great for any heroic death stuff. Not sure where SADDAM A GOGO would fit in though.... Aren't the Full Metal Panic people in this? They are kinda terroristy ish kinda but not really. Some of their more effed up songs for the Eva gang.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Captain Rufus posted:

I'll probably just go with podcasts

Go beyond that and segment the podcasts and give each segment to a different robot as a theme and make sure to try to use them in order to listen to the whole podcast.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Speaking of podcasts I just tried to listen to a whole episode of Umasugi Wave for the first time and my only thought was, they've done this 528 times already? They must have a lot of free time on their hands.

Phlogistic
Oct 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

The rumors literally have no basis except that a trailer had generic music which has also happened for the Japanese versions of other games.

It's entirely on you if you don't want to but you're literally talking about a rumor with absolutely no basis behind it. Frankly I don't have the time or energy to try to convince you how to spend your money so I will say don't preorder it.

Edit: Like if it is that important than you can only wait because there's literally no more information. The rumor is just that, a rumor. Nobody can tell you anything more.

A trailer? The actual footage of the first stage at a Singapore trailer had generic music for everyone except the protagonist. And the guy doing the presentation said that this was due to "rights reasons".

It's hardly confirmed but it's also not the made-up nonsense you're making it out to be.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Phlogistic posted:

A trailer? The actual footage of the first stage at a Singapore trailer had generic music for everyone except the protagonist. And the guy doing the presentation said that this was due to "rights reasons".

Taiwan, iirc.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I'm excited to get V on the ps4, bg3 and GGG were all on the vita for me.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I'd like to see if Roundabout lines up with any cool attacks, but otherwise I'm a podcast man myself. I suppose if I really wanted I could come up with a list of appropriate grunge and 90s alt rock. Would Do the Evolution go to EVA or Mazinger Zero?

chirico cuvie
Jan 23, 2004
Made of beef and beef byproduct
Lipstick Apathy

Phlogistic posted:

It's hardly confirmed but it's also not the made-up nonsense you're making it out to be.

The rights reasons in questions were likely related to using licensed music in a public venue for a show that would be recorded and released. JASRAC controls the Japanese music industry with an iron grip, and its influence affects things even outside of Japan. Chances are, the in-game BGMs fell into a licensing issue where the folks running the Taipei Game Show and/or Bandai Namco would have to pay the recording companies responsible for the release of Yamato's OST, and because of that, they could not secure the rights to play the music in a public venue. This has been the case with most SRW PV's as well--the battle music versions were harder to find because the official uploads to youtube, and in most cases the in-store trailers running on promotional disc loops, used versions with all of the licensed music excised.

FWIW, the only instance of PV2 with in-game music is the video on Bandai Namco's youtube. If you go on the Japanese PSN and watch the trailer, it too uses generic music.

Also, everyone but the protag used the same generic song, so unless they're cutting the battle music down to JUST that song, there's a 99.9% chance it was a temporary measure.

Phlogistic
Oct 22, 2007

chirico cuvie posted:

The rights reasons in questions were likely related to using licensed music in a public venue for a show that would be recorded and released. JASRAC controls the Japanese music industry with an iron grip, and its influence affects things even outside of Japan. Chances are, the in-game BGMs fell into a licensing issue where the folks running the Taipei Game Show and/or Bandai Namco would have to pay the recording companies responsible for the release of Yamato's OST, and because of that, they could not secure the rights to play the music in a public venue. This has been the case with most SRW PV's as well--the battle music versions were harder to find because the official uploads to youtube, and in most cases the in-store trailers running on promotional disc loops, used versions with all of the licensed music excised.

FWIW, the only instance of PV2 with in-game music is the video on Bandai Namco's youtube. If you go on the Japanese PSN and watch the trailer, it too uses generic music.

Also, everyone but the protag used the same generic song, so unless they're cutting the battle music down to JUST that song, there's a 99.9% chance it was a temporary measure.

Oh, I know that's perfectly possible. Literally all I'm saying is that there was more to the rumors than just the non-Japan trailers having generic music.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phlogistic posted:

Oh, I know that's perfectly possible. Literally all I'm saying is that there was more to the rumors than just the non-Japan trailers having generic music.

Not really, no, for exactly the reasons chirco stated. It's a rumor without any basis at all and the fact that people are repeating it as true enough that people are treating it as an actual factor and not a baseless rumor is really annoying.

There is no more it than that and every rumor ignores the fact that this has happened not just with SRWV but with other SRWs as well. That doesn't mean it's 100% for sure it will have the music because this is legitimately the first ever licensed SRW with any form of English release and who knows what is up with that. (They're, among other things, billing Yamato as Star Blazers on the website which is weird!) However without any evidence there's no particular reason to believe that the music situation is different from the last dozen SRW games.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 19, 2017

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ImpAtom posted:

Not really, no, for exactly the reasons chirco stated. It's a rumor without any basis at all and the fact that people are repeating it as true enough that people are treating it as an actual factor and not a baseless rumor is really annoying.

As far as I can tell people have only asked questions about it, and the only evidence we have is that it doesn't have licensed music, not the other way around. Unless you can point to a demonstration or a trailer that does? I don't know why you're so annoyed that people aren't willing to just believe you when you say "trust me, idiots".

e: maybe it does, if history shows and that's fine. But being cautious especially with preorders is the smart thing to do.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Isn't t enough to say that for various reasons including restrictions on the PS4's recording feature and stuff, we know that Japanese publishers are really weird and stingy about licensed music in games, so there's a risk that this game, which has licensed music, will be weird and stingy about it too?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 19, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levantine posted:

As far as I can tell people have only asked questions about it, and the only evidence we have is that it doesn't have licensed music, not the other way around. Unless you can point to a demonstration or a trailer that does? I don't know why you're so annoyed that people aren't willing to just believe you when you say "trust me, idiots".

Because, again, nobody has provided a single piece of proof that this isn't like the previous SRW games where this exactly same thing has happened before. Not a one.

If you don't want to prorder then don't preorder but don't ask people to disprove a rumor to you so you can spend your money.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ImpAtom posted:

Because, again, nobody has provided a single piece of proof that this isn't like the previous SRW games where this exactly same thing has happened before.

That's now how proof works and you know it. C'mon dude, you're being really belligerent and obtuse about this on purpose. This is the first licensed SRW game in English in any region (as far as I know) and there's reason to believe that's not the only thing different about it, especially since we haven't been shown otherwise. People have every right to ask the question and you're not bringing anything to the table but a contrarian attitude.

edit: I have pre-ordered, but I understand why anyone would be hesitant if the feature of licensed music is part of the appeal.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levantine posted:

That's now how proof works and you know it. C'mon dude, you're being really belligerent and obtuse about this on purpose. This is the first licensed SRW game in English in any region (as far as I know) and there's reason to believe that's not the only thing different about it, especially since we haven't been shown otherwise. People have every right to ask the question and you're not bringing anything to the table but a contrarian attitude.

edit: I have pre-ordered, but I understand why anyone would be hesitant if the feature of licensed music is part of the appeal.

Proof works exactly the same both ways. I've pointed out repeatedly that this has happened with other SRW games and that this in fact fairly standard for SRW previews and showings. How is that not proof enough?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ImpAtom posted:

Proof works exactly the same both ways. I've pointed out repeatedly that this has happened with other SRW games and that this in fact fairly standard for SRW previews and showings. How is that not proof enough?

You can't ask me to prove a negative. Historical precedent is fine, but it's not "proof" of anything. The only "proof" we have is that there is no licensed music in the asian version given that every single trailer and showing so far has had none (unless I've missed something somewhere). That could be for weird reasons I don't understand, I grant you, but you are being needlessly weird and belligerent to anyone who doesn't just accept your word as law about this.

e:

Samurai Sanders posted:

Isn't t enough to say that for various reasons including restrictions on the PS4's recording feature and stuff, we know that Japanese publishers are really weird and stingy about licensed music in games, so there's a risk that this game, which has licensed music, will be weird and stingy about it too?

This is not unreasonable is what I'm saying.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levantine posted:

You can't ask me to prove a negative. Historical precedent is fine, but it's not "proof" of anything. The only "proof" we have is that there is no licensed music in the asian version given that every single trailer and showing so far has had none (unless I've missed something somewhere). That could be for weird reasons I don't understand, I grant you, but you are being needlessly weird and belligerent to anyone who doesn't just accept your word as law about this

Okay. So the vast majority of the trailers for SRWV available online feature generic music as well, including for the Japanese release. In addition as far as I am aware other Asian-English releases have not stripped music from the game but instead have just blocked streaming as is rather normal these days. (And which SRWV will certainly have happen too.)

What reason do you have to believe that rather than the straightforward answer ( "music licensing in Japan is weird and heavily controlled when it comes to streaming and presentations') we instead have the answer "they actually cut all the music from the game entirely and replaced it with a single generic song", taking into account that it is not only the Asian version of the game that has the trailers given generic music

Also keep in mind that while this is the first one with English Subtitles it is not the first SRW released outside of Japan and no previous SRW has had their music stripped even for non-Japanese releases. Why would this one be different?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ImpAtom posted:

Okay. So the vast majority of the trailers for SRWV available online feature generic music as well, including for the Japanese release. In addition as far as I am aware other Asian-English releases have not stripped music from the game but instead have just blocked streaming as is rather normal these days. (And which SRWV will certainly have happen too.)

What reason do you have to believe that rather than the straightforward answer ( "music licensing in Japan is weird and heavily controlled when it comes to streaming and presentations') we instead have the answer "they actually cut all the music from the game entirely and replaced it with a single generic song", taking into account that it is not only the Asian version of the game that has the trailers given generic music

Also keep in mind that while this is the first one with English Subtitles it is not the first SRW released outside of Japan and no previous SRW has had their music stripped even for non-Japanese releases. Why would this one be different?

I really don't want an argument so I'll just say I hope that you are the one that is correct in this case.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It is prudent not to preorder SRWV.

This is true with all games. You should not preorder video games.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think taking a hardline stance like that is as dumb as preordering every game ubisoft says will be good. banpresto's quality has been incredibly consistent for the past like 15 years and id probably buy this day one even if i knew in advance it was going to be middling as super robot wars goes, and we've seen nothing that indicates it'll be some unforeseen catastrophe. why wouldn't i preorder it to get it sooner.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I preordered SRWV because, among other things, it allows me to preload the game and PSN is lovely when I'm downloading a US game from US servers, having an extra 2-3 days to download means I can probably play it on launch day and not god knows how long later.

I also knew I was going to buy it because so far SRW has been incredibly reliable for me as a franchise and even the worst of the lot has been an entertaining SPRG with fun plot bits, Operation Exceed aside. (And OE had strong moments early before the microtransaction grind ruined it.) Even if SRWV is genuinely crap I'll probably enjoy it enough to make it worth the $60 I spent on it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I preordered SRWV because, among other things, it allows me to preload the game and PSN is lovely when I'm downloading a US game from US servers, having an extra 2-3 days to download means I can probably play it on launch day and not god knows how long later.

I also knew I was going to buy it because so far SRW has been incredibly reliable for me as a franchise and even the worst of the lot has been an entertaining SPRG with fun plot bits, Operation Exceed aside. (And OE had strong moments early before the microtransaction grind ruined it.)
OE is cool because you get viral in the enkidu.

i played it via :files: though

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

OE is cool because you get viral in the enkidu.

i played it via :files: though

That was one of its pluses. I really enjoyed it reusing the Neo system and having cool ideas like the combined units. It just got smashed with microtrans.

I'm sad EO probably killed the Neo system for the foreseeable future.

I'd probably have been happier if I files'd it but I actually really liked the first chapter so I figured "Oh hey this is a safe buy."

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

"Don't preorder games ever" doesn't really work here because there's preorder exclusives (as far as I can tell) that are actual major gameplay things like the protagonist mechs. I'm really on edge because there's been more "might" than "might not" for things that I personally care about and I don't exactly have the disposable income to make a dive on everything that catches my fancy regardless of risk

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hivac posted:

"Don't preorder games ever" doesn't really work here because there's preorder exclusives (as far as I can tell) that are actual major gameplay things like the protagonist mechs. I'm really on edge because there's been more "might" than "might not" for things that I personally care about and I don't exactly have the disposable income to make a dive on everything that catches my fancy regardless of risk

I can't say for 100% sure but generally if there's 'day 1' codes you usually can buy on launch day or whatever and still get it. I'm not sure if that will apply to the digital version too but if you're waiting getting the physical is probably smarter anyway.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Not that this applies here but I always pre-order through Amazon Prime for the 20% discount anyways.

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!
I'd preorder but I am still holding out because I want it on my next credit card billing cycle.

Also I am still hoping for a last minute Animesong version too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZuljinRaynor posted:

I'd preorder but I am still holding out because I want it on my next credit card billing cycle.

Also I am still hoping for a last minute Animesong version too.

They've confirmed custom soundtracks so honestly you should just save money if you want animesong.

• Locked thread