Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Mentally retardation is such a strong word.
Yeah, my only issue with the Aloft is that it's trying for a younger audience. The Aloft near LAX has a pool with rowdy kids in it that make all kinds of noise :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

creationist believer posted:

I'd much rather have IFE stream to my device, the IFE screen on almost every carrier is slow, terrible UI, unresponsive, has a terrible viewing angle if the person in front of you reclines, and will look old and low resolution in a few years compared to new phones and laptops. Save space and weight for something that almost everyone is bringing on the plane with them anyways.

My recent experiences with Delta's IFE on the new 737, a320 and 757 with the touch screen interface have been REALLY enjoyable. I can use my device to work or play a game, and still have a movie or TV playing. I can also eat a meal in first class on my tray table while still watching a TV or movie, especially on a 4 hour flight between coasts.

Thoguh posted:

ugh, I don't like this because my preference is to put some TV/Movie on the IFE and then use my own device to play a game, read, do work, or whatever. Plus the IFE is actually placed at a decent viewing angle. This is just a cost cutting measure they're spinning as something consumers want.

Yes, yes, and yes.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

SuperSpiff posted:

Yeah, my only issue with the Aloft is that it's trying for a younger audience. The Aloft near LAX has a pool with rowdy kids in it that make all kinds of noise :colbert:

The rooms themselves are pretty quiet? Hell, its quieter than most hotels in general.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Aloft in Kuala Lumpur is a solid hotel. I often stay at very nice hotels and wouldn't hesitate to book it at any time.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Waroduce posted:

Anyone have experience with ALOFT? a king bed is in a 300sqft room....but I want the spg points...it's the only spg thing around my client and it's next to a gym...

I could do mariott I guess

Do the Marriott. I like aloft if there isn't anything else within my corp global max spend rate, but now that SPG and Marriott have merged, the points transfer between 3:1. Although, lately, I've been getting about 6-10k Marriott points per stay at Marriott branded hotels and only about 1k for SPGs.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Hilton or death.

Well, I'm not being that that serious but I feel that Hilton has the most consistency. Marriot's aren't that bad but one in city might be alright but the exact same one in another might be completely different.

IHG or Holiday Inns aren't that bad either.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I actually like Holiday Inn. The San Antonio airport one was really nice

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

IHG has stepped up their game over the last year or so. I find Holiday Inn Expresses to be generally more consistent and less worn feeling than Hampton Inns as of late.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer
IHG whenever possible. I like Hilton properties, but when it comes to point earning and point redemption, IHG all the way.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

DJCobol posted:

IHG whenever possible. I like Hilton properties, but when it comes to point earning and point redemption, IHG all the way.

Our company is in bed with Hilton at the moment and it takes too much hassle to book outside of the Hilton portfolio. Otherwise, I'd book IHG. They really do have a superior rewards program.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

What's the deal on IHG Rewards?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Tab8715 posted:

What's the deal on IHG Rewards?

They're fairly generous with points and bonus opportunities to earn them. They're also one of the few that hasn't utterly gutted their program. They'll clearly be next after Marriott decimates SPG.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Mackieman posted:

They're fairly generous with points and bonus opportunities to earn them. They're also one of the few that hasn't utterly gutted their program. They'll clearly be next after Marriott decimates SPG.

That, and their redemption rates for rewards nights are usually pretty good. When I stayed in Times Square, the Crowne Plaza was 50,000 points a night. The Doubletree across the corner was over 70,000 a night if I remember correctly. I've stayed at some nice HIE hotels for 10,000 points a night and top tier Intercontinental resorts for 35,000 a night.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

i fly airplanes posted:

I'm not sure about the Japanese domestic flight service, but even for these short-haul domestic flights many airlines still do a full meal service in business class and it's even nicer in the premium seats. I flew Sydney to Melbourne on Qantas, and they had the A330 running this route and it was fantastic. Hong Kong to Taipei on Cathay Pacific was also excellent: I think certain flight timings they even have First Class. Beijing to Shanghai (Hongqiao) also receives the same.

It's basically like the premium JFK-LAX/SFO transcon flights in the US, even though that was a recent development.
Sounds like meals are served in first, but not in business. Although their first is really like an old business and business is like an old premium economy. (The configuration actually reminds me of the old 767's AA used to fly JFK-LAX/SFO).

Mandalay posted:

I'm not sure this works with the discount fares I buy on AA.
Even the lowest fare buckets (QSONG) are included, although you obviously receive a reduced number of miles.

Table can be found here:
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/executive-club/collecting-avios/flights
(click on American Airlines)

Waroduce posted:

I'm flying into Charlotte multiple times over the next month for connections with approximately a one-hour layover It's All American. Does anybody anticipate that being a problem
Are any of the segments on regional jets?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

What's the best ihg property in the Maldives?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Eh. I am staying in a beautiful Palm Springs resort for just 10k SPG points. Best part about IHG is their credit card. Free Platinum status which you can use to match to Hilton diamond.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
I have a company card that all airfare + hotels + rental cars have to go on. Are there any cc's that will give me cool statuses or airline perks despite me not using them for the travel in question? For example, the referenced ihg card above: if I used that for amazon purchases only, would I still get ihg status when staying in their hotels and using a different card?

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

ixo posted:

I have a company card that all airfare + hotels + rental cars have to go on. Are there any cc's that will give me cool statuses or airline perks despite me not using them for the travel in question? For example, the referenced ihg card above: if I used that for amazon purchases only, would I still get ihg status when staying in their hotels and using a different card?

Yes. The card is linked to your IHG rewards account so they will know your status whether you paid with that credit card or not.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

DJCobol posted:

Yes. The card is linked to your IHG rewards account so they will know your status whether you paid with that credit card or not.
Among the major hotel and airline chains, the only exception I'm aware of is United, who requires you to pay with their card to receive the free bag and related benefits.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

I'm a little confused about something with AAdvantage. Their program information says "AAdvantage Platinum and Gold members will earn four 500-mile upgrades for every 12,500 EQMs earned during each membership year."

I have Gold status and have accumulated 19k EQMs this year so far. However, I have no 500 mile upgrades listed and my account page claims I need several thousand EQMs more before I earn any.

Anyone know what gives?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I would call the gold desk if I were you, that just sounds weird and they can explain what happened.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
So for AA Platinum/Gold, do you only get upgraded if you use the vouchers, or do the vouchers just give you a guaranteed upgrade?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

For AA under 500mi you don't need to use vouchers, you get it upgraded complimentary based on booking and status.

For over 500mi, you can use the 500mi vouchers for a chance at an upgrade based on available seats in F, and status of whoever else is on the upgrade list. It's not guaranteed, but you're not fighting with the 50 other people who have AA status for comp upgrades on the the <500mi legs, so you have a pretty good shot for F if it's not a tiny plane.

Each voucher is good for 500miles. If your flight is 2250 miles, you'll need 5 vouchers.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Cacafuego posted:

not guaranteed, but you're not fighting with the 50 other people who have AA status for comp upgrades on the the <500mi legs, so you have a pretty good shot for F if it's not a tiny plane.

Hahahhahaha yeah it depends entirely on the route.

Lax - lhr, which only has miles + copay and SWUs along with 50+ biz seats often had an upgrade list of 12-20+ people.

I've been on domestic flights where the upgrade list was 15 EXPs

Edit: and this year is probably going to be worse with the EQD's affecting priority now. So you've got Platinum Plus, and you've got people who get even 1 paid J flight a year rocketing ahead of likely everyone who doesnt.

As platinum now I barely get any upgrades. 0 500mi upgrades that weren't over the holidays. I have like 24 of them in my account that never get used. Best of luck to those who are Platinum/Gold when the rest of this hits.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Feb 20, 2017

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

sellouts posted:

Edit: and this year is probably going to be worse with the EQD's affecting priority now. So you've got Platinum Plus, and you've got people who get even 1 paid J flight a year rocketing ahead of likely everyone who doesnt.
Upgrade list will be sorted by status and THEN EQD.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Any tips for dealing with this sort of travel in general? I'm on my first month (of six) of being away more often than home.

It sucks :( I've traveled a fair bit before but maybe only 100 days each year.

Edit: less than approx 22 hours of transit till I'm home... Hoping it feels better at the other end

yoloer420 fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Feb 20, 2017

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Small White Dragon posted:

Upgrade list will be sorted by status and THEN EQD.

Yeah, exactly, and I didn't imply any different.

the point is you have last minute flyers with one paid J and thus a higher eqd jumping ahead of weekly q fare purchasers who have lower eqd vs today being sorted within status by request date.

Not to mention a whole other class (platinum pro) further bumping down plat and golds.

I think the original point of the post saying there's a good chance of upgrades for Plats and Golds is pretty untrue in my experience.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

I might be a bit out of the loop as I don't really follow AA's FF program. What's AA Platinum Pro? I'm Oneworld Emerald (through Qantas Platinum). The equivalent of that is Executive Platinum right? Is Platinum Pro below or equal to or above that?

I've got a couple of personal domestic US trips to make in April so figure I may as well try and exploit what I can.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

yoloer420 posted:

Any tips for dealing with this sort of travel in general? I'm on my first month (of six) of being away more often than home.

Edit: less than approx 22 hours of transit till I'm home... Hoping it feels better at the other end

Find time to work out or meditate or take a walk etc. Don't eat like poo poo!

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

yoloer420 posted:

I'm singe guy and I think traveling is pretty awesome. Granted, I'm usually home on the weekend.

Go sightseeing after work, do more than drink at the hotel lobby and watch tv.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Find the regional thread for whatever city you're traveling to and hit them up for good restaurants to hit up / things to do. Also subscribe to it for the duration of your business there so you'll see any random shows or events that pop up that goons feel like talking about.

Seconding the 'be sure to work out / watch what you eat'. I was someone who was raised not to waste food and felt compelled to eat the entire meal restaurants gave me. It took me a while to shake that habit

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I find the recommendations are better than your average online travel forum and better than reddit

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

yoloer420 posted:

Where are you traveling to and for how long?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

yoloer420 posted:

Maintaining relationships and your health are the toughest parts of traveling for work.

Diet and exercise are key as other posters have said.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Thanks for the advice guys. I hired a bike and went for a 20k ride, that was pretty nice. This is the first time for me in LA, I don't think I was ready for the hours of driving each day to get from one meeting to the next. I'm used to walking, public transport or at most the occasional uber. None of which seem practical in that city.

As for nutrition, I was with less frequent travelers who were keen to try the worst of American food for novelty value. In retrospect I shouldn't have gone along with that.

Anyhow I managed to get a good amount of sleep on the plane and im feeling a fair bit better. I've got two weeks at home which im going to make the most of. I've also organised bike hire for the next trip.

Things are looking up!

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
There is no mode of transportation that is practical in LA, everything is bad.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
If I can remotely justify the cost vs rental car I just Uber it everywhere when I can. Easier, way better at the airport than the rental car center or lot, don't have to worry about drinking, etc.

Plus you get to meet some very interesting characters.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I get at least 1000 United miles per hertz rental (sometimes 3000) with my corp card so I get a rental everywhere I go, even if I'm just driving it to the hotel to be parked.

I get 50-75k United miles per year from rentals alone.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

FunOne posted:

If I can remotely justify the cost vs rental car I just Uber it everywhere when I can. Easier, way better at the airport than the rental car center or lot, don't have to worry about drinking, etc.

Plus you get to meet some very interesting characters.

It's gonna vary with every situation but taking Lyft for everything WITH TIPS comes out to about 2/3 the cost of a rental so it's all I've been doing lately. The only real downside is having to wait for pickups vs. just going. The pros that you mentioned way outweigh the cons though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rex-Goliath posted:

It's gonna vary with every situation but taking Lyft for everything WITH TIPS comes out to about 2/3 the cost of a rental so it's all I've been doing lately. The only real downside is having to wait for pickups vs. just going. The pros that you mentioned way outweigh the cons though.

If you don't have to move around a bunch of equipment taxis are almost always a better bet than a rental but if you have to acquire or move stuff a rental is always better.