Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
dan's gone too crazy too early. dude's days are numbered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I say this every time somebody compares Daigo to Takaharu because it's really important.
Daigo was undoubtedly overfocused on in Kyoryuger, but as a character he was a natural leader who brought out the best in his team and truly appreciated, respected, and had faith in them and never not once acted like he was better than them.
Takaharu is a spoiled poo poo who has raw talent and that's it. He constantly has to be told that he can't just do everything himself, even though he usually does. He's incredibly dense and has his head so far up his rear end that he can't see that he's always acting like he's an absolute jerk. And in the world of the show, that's fine. Takaharu is just better, and he never goes through an arc to learn humility.

Oh I agree with you (I actually liked Daigo to be honest), I was just saying they both more or less took over their respective shows after a while and the other characters sort of got shafted as a result. But even if Lucky does end up going down the same path I hope he leans more towards the former than the latter (which, judging from the first episode, seems like the case so far).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 15, 2017

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

dan's gone too crazy too early. dude's days are numbered.

Which really begs the question of who is going to be wearing that Kamen Rider Chronicle suit. Maybe it's Graphite after all, since Bugsters don't really "die" in the traditional sense.

It would be kind of amazing if, at the nadir of his inevitable defeat, Graphite just explodes out of Dan's body all "FINALLY. It's really hard to stress that guy out."

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it makes me lol that two doctors and a nurse couldn't quite understand the concept of delivering bad news to a seriously ill patient. like, maybe emu wouldn't have exploded if he had learned about his infection in a less dramatic way?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
To be fair, it's two doctors, one of whom is some kind of unlicensed mob doctor, and a Complete Bugster disguised as a nurse.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't really blame either of them for kind of hating patients considering what turds most of the patients on this show have been.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Also as we have discussed in this thread before, Hiiro is kind of an awful doctor outside of his actual surgery skills. I would not be surprised if he never, ever talks to patients, because he seems to have terrible bedside manner. I could easily see him literally doing nothing but the surgery, and keeping interaction to a minimum outside of it.

On the plus side the preview for next episode looks *real* good, because it looks like it's finally put up or shut up time for Hiiro and he's decided on put up.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i like how the dedicated, empathetic dr. emu seems to be the bugster. his rear end in a top hat gamer m personality is the original version.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i like how the dedicated, empathetic dr. emu seems to be the bugster. his rear end in a top hat gamer m personality is the original version.

That was basically straight out confirmed since he only focused heavily on his studies once he beat the game tournament and got sick right after it, which is when he was infected.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

deadly_pudding posted:

Which really begs the question of who is going to be wearing that Kamen Rider Chronicle suit. Maybe it's Graphite after all, since Bugsters don't really "die" in the traditional sense.

It would be kind of amazing if, at the nadir of his inevitable defeat, Graphite just explodes out of Dan's body all "FINALLY. It's really hard to stress that guy out."

It's very possible that Kuroto gets owned by Parad, Hiiro, etc and decides to go underground, as opposed to dying, being arrested, or the like. Then Kamen Rider Chronos mysteriously shows up out of nowhere and it's later revealed that Kuroto was planning his revenge. Maybe. It still doesn't entirely follow because there has to be an ongoing conflict and new bad guys after Kuroto probably exits the show soon. I think Chronos being Graphite would be really stupid since it doesn't vaguely make sense or fit the series theme, unless there's some shocking conspiracy with Kuroto's dad has some sick nasty plan out of nowhere and has been playing the long game the whole time. I dunno. It seems silly to assume Graphite is Chronos just because the color scheme is green.

I just hope Kuroto's dad isn't the true behind-the-scenes villain or some such. That's all. It would be really lame and predictable.

It's also dang weird as hell how Kuroto created the level 50 Taddle Fantasy/Bang Bang Simulation but can't use them himself, but I guess they needed an easy out for Hiiro and Taiga to get upgrades. Kuroto is hilariously and maniacally arrogant, but he isn't stupid, so it isn't all that believable that he would make a blatant mistake like that.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 16, 2017

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

he isn't a Bugster so he can't activate Gashats without a driver like Parad can. He would need a Gamer Driver, and it seems like he doesn't have the equipment to manufacture new drivers.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I don't think he's going anywhere anytime soon. I think everyone expects some bigger and more evil foe to turn up at some point, but he's integral to the story and just too good of an antagonist to go anywhere.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
basic bugsters haven't ever been much of a threat. even graphite needed drivers to face anything past level 2. the upgrade cycle has moved in response to dan and bugsters with drivers, with the monsters of the week being obstacles rather than opponents most of the time. they've gotta change things up if bugsters are supposed to be such a big problem.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Just caught the first episode of Kyuranger. Pacing is probably a thing they should work on. They crammed so much into that episode, holy poo poo.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Coq au Nandos posted:

Just caught the first episode of Kyuranger. Pacing is probably a thing they should work on. They crammed so much into that episode, holy poo poo.

They definitely put way too much into one episode but somehow it ended up being super entertaining, YOSSHA LUCKY

The episode definitely could have been split into two with Blue's story and Red's recruitment of him getting a bit more time to develop, not to mention the initial three, but alas they gotta show off that robot. Hopefully things slow down from here and we get some flashbacks to show how the Orion crew came together. But in all honesty it'll probably be Gold and Silver next episode, and heck maybe Raptor gets her powers too. I'm definitely excited for the character focus episodes though, two rounds of those will get us halfway through the dang series.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Stallion Cabana posted:

he isn't a Bugster so he can't activate Gashats without a driver like Parad can. He would need a Gamer Driver, and it seems like he doesn't have the equipment to manufacture new drivers.

It's really contrived to assume Kuroto doesn't have like 15 Gamer Drivers just sitting around to experiment on. There wouldn't be much reason to be sitting on a bare minimum of belts, considering the point is gathering as much data as possible. Unless Gamer Drivers can only be created by killing literal human beings or something equally over-the-top.

Then again, this is the same guy who used a Proto Gashat because there weren't any other level 1s around, so maybe it works? The show's never been too consistent on what evil bad dude resources Kuroto actually has. He also might be stuck on "Heh, why would
I use an inferior Gamer Driver compared to my superior technology? :smug:"

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Feb 16, 2017

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

I think Dan is at least partly limited by lucky coincidence, despite his grandiose nature.

The non-proto Gashats weren't made purely because of him, each one was additionally created by being infected with the Bugster Virus. As much as he likes to claim he's a genius and the greatest, even his crowning achievement in the space of 'won't brutally murder you to use it' was made out of dumb luck happening at the right time.

It's entirely possible there are 5 or 6 additional Gamer Drivers that he can't get access to because they're at GenM and he can't go back there, or it's entirely possible he literally just can't make any more because either he had help making them in the first place and can't get that help now- after all, a team did make the Gashats, not just him-, or they're limited in some way due to a 'lucky break' that he got.

The grandiose, arrogant rear end in a top hat who it turns out mostly got to where he was by a few turns of good luck isn't an uncommon story idea.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
My late take: I love Hammy but I'm confused because the magazine thing says she's actually a master of ninjutsu and that doesn't seem to be happening and her weapon is a rapier for some reason. It's still better than Food Meistar and Cow Star having one gimmick each but I'll wait for focus episodes for them too.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Caphi posted:

My late take: I love Hammy but I'm confused because the magazine thing says she's actually a master of ninjutsu and that doesn't seem to be happening and her weapon is a rapier for some reason. It's still better than Food Meistar and Cow Star having one gimmick each but I'll wait for focus episodes for them too.

the cow dude rules

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Stallion Cabana posted:

I think Dan is at least partly limited by lucky coincidence, despite his grandiose nature.

The non-proto Gashats weren't made purely because of him, each one was additionally created by being infected with the Bugster Virus. As much as he likes to claim he's a genius and the greatest, even his crowning achievement in the space of 'won't brutally murder you to use it' was made out of dumb luck happening at the right time.

It's entirely possible there are 5 or 6 additional Gamer Drivers that he can't get access to because they're at GenM and he can't go back there, or it's entirely possible he literally just can't make any more because either he had help making them in the first place and can't get that help now- after all, a team did make the Gashats, not just him-, or they're limited in some way due to a 'lucky break' that he got.

The grandiose, arrogant rear end in a top hat who it turns out mostly got to where he was by a few turns of good luck isn't an uncommon story idea.

i think that dan can go wherever the heck he wants right now. until parad gave him the smackdown he came and went as he pleased, even when facing the only dudes who could fight him at all. dan made enough gamer drivers for his purposes, and if he wanted more so badly he could have swiped the rest when he took their gashats.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
The 2nd opening of Kuuga has the most derpy translation in a whole series of bad translations:

'A hero is the only good person!'
'Break one and protect the other!'

I'm looking forward to Tv Nihon subs for Agito because they can't possibly be worse than the Midnight whatever subs for Kuuga.

Also it's nice to see a real plot showing up in Kuuga. It only took about 30 episodes, but I actually didn't mind the monster of the week feel for the first half. Still, I was dying for some kind of actual arc and now it's finally happening.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

I thought TVN dropped Agito, did they pick it back again?

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Yep. Apparently they finished in late 2016

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
don't watch tvn

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Don't worry I'm not actually going to read the subs. I'm just going to treat these as raws.

Also big thanks to whoever in the Kuuga subs decided to inject a gay relationship between Ichijou and Godai into the script. They had to alter two conversations pretty much entirely to spin it. I don't know how they got 'I can't wait for the day when our hearts will understand each other' from 'I can't wait for the day when he leaves us. He should be free to go on his adventures '

That was him lamenting how all this violence and stress was hurting Godai's free spirit, not him admitting his man-crush. I mean if there was a gay Kamen Rider that would be fine but please don't alter subs to suit your slashfics.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

mikeycp posted:

don't watch tvn

I dunno, their sub of the first episode of 9ranger seemed much better thought out than the OT one.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Getsuya posted:

Don't worry I'm not actually going to read the subs. I'm just going to treat these as raws.

Also big thanks to whoever in the Kuuga subs decided to inject a gay relationship between Ichijou and Godai into the script. They had to alter two conversations pretty much entirely to spin it. I don't know how they got 'I can't wait for the day when our hearts will understand each other' from 'I can't wait for the day when he leaves us. He should be free to go on his adventures '

That was him lamenting how all this violence and stress was hurting Godai's free spirit, not him admitting his man-crush. I mean if there was a gay Kamen Rider that would be fine but please don't alter subs to suit your slashfics.

There's gomen rider subs that will look better than the TVN ones at the bare minimum if you don't actually care about reading the subs

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Coq au Nandos posted:

I dunno, their sub of the first episode of 9ranger seemed much better thought out than the OT one.

Get out

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
So I finally got around to watching the first episode of Kyuranger. While I like the designs and and the overall premise, the characters are just rubbing me the wrong way. Especially Lucky and Hammy. on the fence about whether I want to go through the effort of collecting the kyutama and the changers for this season.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Getsuya posted:

Watch Gomenrider and disable the subs, they're not hardsubs

Coq au Nandos posted:

Alright, I'll bite. Can you elaborate? (I'm honestly curious, not trying to antagonize you or anything)

Ignis fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 18, 2017

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Ignis posted:

Alright, I'll bite. Can you elaborate? (I'm honestly curious, not trying to antagonize you or anything)

My preferred source sends to use TVN, so I've had the chance to watch the OT subs and then the TVN ones.

TVN seems to have put a little bit more thought into their translations. Where OT translates the morphing cry into 'say the change/go', TVN goes with 'seiza change/go' because the thing is called a Seiza Blaster and seiza apparently translates to 'constellation'. They also call Hammy 'Hame' because it's part of the word 'chameleon'. It's kind of little things but when the whole show is apparently based around puns I'm enjoying that TVN are putting the effort in to understand and convey every piece of wordplay.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Coq au Nandos posted:

My preferred source sends to use TVN, so I've had the chance to watch the OT subs and then the TVN ones.

TVN seems to have put a little bit more thought into their translations. Where OT translates the morphing cry into 'say the change/go', TVN goes with 'seiza change/go' because the thing is called a Seiza Blaster and seiza apparently translates to 'constellation'. They also call Hammy 'Hame' because it's part of the word 'chameleon'. It's kind of little things but when the whole show is apparently based around puns I'm enjoying that TVN are putting the effort in to understand and convey every piece of wordplay.

:thejoke:
https://twitter.com/Evilspacewhale/status/831937955296112640

If TVN wanted an accurate translation then they should call it Constellation Change. Also "say the" and "seiza" sound the same.

Fezz fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 18, 2017

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
All subs are wrong watch everything raw.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Coq au Nandos posted:

lookit all these bad and wrong opinions.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Putting in the effort to understand and convey the wordplay = Just put the Japanese words there

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Oh god, so that's what all according to keikaku weebs post like.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Oh god, so that's what all according to keikaku weebs post like.

It's his kokoro wish.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I'm not sure how translating words to convey puns in english is somehow less thoughtful than not doing it but okay. I don't have much else to say other than

Getsuya posted:

All subs are wrong watch everything raw.

this goon is doing it right

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
If i want to learn Japanese I'll download Rosetta Stone. TVN doesn't even translate properly half the time and I only know basic japanese. It's like the whole "Utchuu Kitaa!" argument.

Sure, it's roughly translated as "Space is here!" or "Space has arrived" but translating the catchphrase as something digestible in English, the language you know, is probably more important. Context is really important in Japanese so directly translating a lot of stuff looks jarring and out of place which is TVN's big flaws

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

https://twitter.com/TokuTokuScans/status/833090968207384576

• Locked thread