Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

linall posted:

Apologizes if this has been asked before, but are the connection issues as bad as all the Steam reviews seem to say? I'd like to give me a whirl but my connection isn't fantastic at the moment. If that is going to result in me just constantly dropping from matches I'd rather save the 60 bux and headache.

It seems fairly overblown. People just read "P2P" and assume the worst, leading to a fair bit of confirmation bias. Basically if the current host quits then you have a short ~10 second reconnecting period. In so far about 13 hours of release-playtime, I've only seen connection troubles unrelated to anybody quitting twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah it's more about people constantly leaving and poo poo than anything. There's not really lag but the lobbies get bugged

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
This game is

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

When you're surrounded by enemies during double sudden death and call in the catapult: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IicBPT9_OQE

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I made the mistake of not playing in the open beta, but some reviews from reviewers I trust have me interested in giving this a try. Two questions:

1. Let's assume I'm crap at traditional fighting games. How steep of a learning curve should I expect going into For Honor?

2. How hard does For Honor push its microtransactions? I've seen anything from "pay-to-win" to "it's pretty unobtrusive right now" so I'm not sure what the actual situation is.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

It's not really pay to win, but most all the cosmetic poo poo would take forever to grind out so most would probably just buy the steel (in game currency). Honestly, it's pretty bad as far as microtransactions are concerned. But it doesn't really affect the gameplay much at all

Qubee
May 31, 2013

super macho dude posted:

Parrying seems frustratingly hit or miss with me. Do you hit Parry the instant the attack notifier starts FLASHING or the first time you see the notifier?

I don't go off by the indicators. Seems dumb to tunnel vision yourself like that. I just go by sound cues or visual cues. It makes for a much more fluid feeling. It also allows me to get parries off in 2v1 because I'm looking at my enemies and not for a tiny hard to miss red flashy icon.

So yeah, what I did to learn parries was go up against a class I wasn't good at parrying, and then just spend a few rounds getting the timing of the parry right. Then in the future, it'd slow sink in what sound or animation I need to parry at to get it off without a hitch.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Harrow posted:

I made the mistake of not playing in the open beta, but some reviews from reviewers I trust have me interested in giving this a try. Two questions:

1. Let's assume I'm crap at traditional fighting games. How steep of a learning curve should I expect going into For Honor?

2. How hard does For Honor push its microtransactions? I've seen anything from "pay-to-win" to "it's pretty unobtrusive right now" so I'm not sure what the actual situation is.

The learning curve is kind of as steep as you want it to be, before you ever play a real match (before you even hit a menu) you go through the tutorial to learn the basics, I don't think you can skip it but I never tried. From there you can try to dive straight into multiplayer if you want (you gotta win a duel vs a basic bot first though), but there's the advanced tutorial you should definitely do first to learn some important tricks. You can also spend as long as you like playing vs bots in either a duel practice mode that is 1v1 with a difficulty selector, or in the regular multiplayer modes vs bots, if you want a pretty chill low-pressure intro. Keep in mind, the bots are in some cases better than the players you'll run into starting out. After bot matches, the 4v4 modes are probably the most casual modes with the worst players because they are less about individual skill than 'which team has the best player' and ganging up on enemies. Last, 1v1 and 2v2 is where you'll generally find the people serious about learning and getting better at the game, go in there ready to lose and learn from your mistakes. The games are fast though so if you get stomped hard you can always move on to the next match if you want or stay and try to figure out what the other guy is doing to stomp you and how to counter it. Oh, there's the story mode too, which is kind of an extended tutorial, but it's mostly beating up on lovely bots (and a few really really good / overpowered ones)

Microtransactions aren't too bad, in the sense that pay 2 win isn't so much a thing. Most of the steel sink in the game is cosmetics, costumes for each class, different emotes, etc. You can also buy gear boxes, but you can get gear randomly after matches anyway, and more importantly you can't even get gear that matters until you have dropped a lot of time into playing the game. The gear you get depends on what 'reputation' (prestige) rank you are, every 20 levels in a class your rep level goes up and that level determines the gear you can get, you won't be getting the best gear until at least rep 3 as far as I know, which takes like 20+ hours of playtime in that one class. Also, that gear is only important in the 4v4 modes vs players, and right now something like 95% of the playerbase is on a level playing field at rep 0, so it's not a huge deal. I've seen some streamers play against people who grinded to rep 3 fast and got high level gear ASAP, and it does give advantages, but you can still beat someone with gear by outplaying them. Months down the road when everyone has the gear, we'll see. Again, microtransactions don't factor in as much, because you can't pay for the gear without levelling up first anyway.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

About the only "Pay 2 win" thing I saw was that you can pay steel to unlock all of a class's feats from the start. Complete with an "unlock all" button in the Store.

But that's less "pay to get something unique" and more "pay to unlock something without grinding". Probably something I'll see normal people do with their normal steel after a while anyways when they switch to a new character.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
For the life of me, I cannot pull off a Peacekeeper's deflect. What's the timing meant to be on it?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Alkydere posted:

About the only "Pay 2 win" thing I saw was that you can pay steel to unlock all of a class's feats from the start. Complete with an "unlock all" button in the Store.

But that's less "pay to get something unique" and more "pay to unlock something without grinding". Probably something I'll see normal people do with their normal steel after a while anyways when they switch to a new character.

The great thing is it definitely doesn't make it pay to win. Even if they unlock feats or buy a poo poo tonne of steel to get crates (if that's even possible), at the end of the day it boils down to player skill which you can't buy, and everything you can buy, you can grind. Gear stats really don't make a huge difference in 4v4 either.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Alkydere posted:

Some kits just kick rear end right out of the box too. I use the starter feats on the Berserker despite having unlocked all but one on her (though I agonize over Throwing Axe vs Sharpen Blades). Same with Nobushi, except I eventually replaced Iron Lungs with the faster revive after I got better at managing her stamina demands.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Loopoo posted:

The great thing is it definitely doesn't make it pay to win. Even if they unlock feats or buy a poo poo tonne of steel to get crates (if that's even possible), at the end of the day it boils down to player skill which you can't buy, and everything you can buy, you can grind. Gear stats really don't make a huge difference in 4v4 either.

Reclaimer posted:

Some kits just kick rear end right out of the box too. I use the starter feats on the Berserker despite having unlocked all but one on her (though I agonize over Throwing Axe vs Sharpen Blades). Same with Nobushi, except I eventually replaced Iron Lungs with the faster revive after I got better at managing her stamina demands.

Pretty much. It's just a "pay here to avoid grind" and as I said since there's no premium currency it's not really pay-2-win at all.

Also no kidding about some of the starting feats just being the best. The Shoguki starts with one that's basically complete immunity to charge attacks and I was all "Why would I slot anything else there?"

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
I just met a nobushi in a duel that only spammed right side light attacks... And got absolutely destroyed for two matches.
It's like my brain couldn't process what was happening. I couldn't believe someone would actually play that simplistically.

I did get an easy final win once I managed to rewire my brain though. :v:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

So hype for getting a new controller. It's gonna be so loving nice to finally be able to dodge attack again. It wasn't just affecting that either, now that I think about it. My feints were awful because I'd feint then just stand there.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Peacekeepers are way overpowered, need a nerf badly.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Peacekeepers are way overpowered, need a nerf badly.

No one's overpowered. No one needs a nerf. Scrubs would want every class in the game to have basic attacks that are easy as gently caress to parry because you don't dedicate the time to get good at whatever class you play and learn to punish classes you find difficult.

I'm glad Ubi ignores the general outcry and instead patches poo poo that is actually overpowered, like the guard break poo poo where if theirs lands a split second before yours does, you're staggered and can't break out of it.

Pinbacker
May 7, 2007
I think Warden does need a small nerf on the shoulder charge, it's too safe a move right now.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Pinbacker posted:

I think Warden does need a small nerf on the shoulder charge, it's too safe a move right now.

Skillful Warden players scare me as Orochi. Their fast swing attack always hits me because it's too quick for me to react to as I don't have permanent guard. Their shoulder charge combos are also very hard to dodge out the way off since it starts up so quickly. One day though I'll get to the point where they no longer scare me.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Loopoo posted:

Skillful Warden players scare me as Orochi. Their fast swing attack always hits me because it's too quick for me to react to as I don't have permanent guard. Their shoulder charge combos are also very hard to dodge out the way off since it starts up so quickly. One day though I'll get to the point where they no longer scare me.

Orochi can deal with the warden charge really easily. Always do a side dodge attack. If they let the charge go, you'll avoid it and hit them. if they cancel the charge into a GB you'll avoid it and hit them because you can't GB someone who's attacking.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Orochi can deal with the warden charge really easily. Always do a side dodge attack. If they let the charge go, you'll avoid it and hit them. if they cancel the charge into a GB you'll avoid it and hit them because you can't GB someone who's attacking.

Yeah that's my main method to tackle it. It's just when they pull it off so close to me that it often catches me off guard, cause I'm hypervigilante waiting for that instantly quick side swipe attack or overhead attack.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Guys, I think I've finally figured out how Shugoki works:
http://i.imgur.com/9Vjk1nn.mp4

Also, Dominion can be clusterfucky, but sure has fun moments of its own:
http://i.imgur.com/rNVLN5n.mp4

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
The only class I have a lot of trouble with as a berserker is orochi.

Bare in mind that I don't think he's op he's just a really good counter to me since I like to stay mobile and he can gap close really well and has a lot of sweeping side attacks.

After the patch I can see myself having trouble with the valk because they can be very aggressive and punish me if I'm aggressive.

I feel like this is a good thing because no class should be able to have an easy time against all of the classes. I don't typically play valk or oro so I don't know what they have trouble dealing with but I bet there is a counter for them.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Loopoo posted:

No one's overpowered. No one needs a nerf. Scrubs would want every class in the game to have basic attacks that are easy as gently caress to parry because you don't dedicate the time to get good at whatever class you play and learn to punish classes you find difficult.

I'm glad Ubi ignores the general outcry and instead patches poo poo that is actually overpowered, like the guard break poo poo where if theirs lands a split second before yours does, you're staggered and can't break out of it.

My dude its cool that you like the game but you are dead wrong. There's a reason why the higher level of play consists of mostly Peacekeepers, Wardens, and Orochi. Their kits are just plain superior.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Their kits are real easy

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
warden, orochi, and pk are almost certainly getting nerfed, not because i think they're wholly overpowered but i honestly don't know how they could buff the other characters to be as good as them.

on a whim, i decided to do nothing against a warden and see if they were willing to infinite shoulder charge combo me to death (they were). next round, i just used shove a lot to bully him.

'can't wait until they nerf lawbringer', cries the prestige 3 warden

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

Perestroika posted:

The Nobushi calling you a human being is icing on the cake.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The Shugoki's demon ball is so much fun. You send the person so far back that I often get ring outs without even meaning too. Though it'd be great if during the windup you could move the Shugoki left or right to angle your shot slightly.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Is demon ball affected by throw range?

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Psycho Society posted:

Is demon ball affected by throw range?

No and it's a crime.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Perestroika posted:

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Peacekeepers basically has the most broken guard break in the game. It's straight bulls hit.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

warden, orochi, and pk are almost certainly getting nerfed, not because i think they're wholly overpowered but i honestly don't know how they could buff the other characters to be as good as them.

I'm all for this, not because I have anything against these classes, but because I want some loving variety.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Peacekeepers basically has the most broken guard break in the game. It's straight bulls hit.

It literally does a sliver of damage because the second and third stabs are bugged and do nothing. What's the problem? I mean yeah you're not wrong as for as the beta was concerned but until it's fixed any peacekeeper doing grabs is handicapping themselves.

Or is it fixed now? I'm in a practice match with a bot and it doesn't seem to be.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
PK was a lot harder in the beta. The stab bug is getting fixed next patch though.

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks
Liking the game so far, but can anyone with experience with the berserker give me some pointers? My strategy now is mostly dodge or deflect into an attack chain, which usually lets me get a few attacks in, but it always gets me destroyed by anyone who can reliably parry me before I get a good chain going, or anyone playing a conqueror who can stop my chain in its tracks. It feels like my low hp means I have way less room for error than the other guy. Is there some other reliable/safe strategy I'm just not seeing?

Or should I just play an orochi like everyone else?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Got the game yesterday, messed around in singleplayer, did a domination match as a warden since thats what im most used to.

Got rekt my first few deaths, then suddenly it clicked and i was able to pick other players out of the crowd. Started ganging up of people and was even able to kick rear end in 1v1. are orochis the snipers of this game (as in really good when you know what your doing, but 99/100 players are bad at it?)

Think im gonna work on the viking sheild class, that guard on light attacks looks fun. Is there a way to set the training bot to a new class or does it change with the levels? Id like to practice my timing on somthing faster than a raider.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

ScratchAndSniff posted:

Liking the game so far, but can anyone with experience with the berserker give me some pointers? My strategy now is mostly dodge or deflect into an attack chain, which usually lets me get a few attacks in, but it always gets me destroyed by anyone who can reliably parry me before I get a good chain going, or anyone playing a conqueror who can stop my chain in its tracks. It feels like my low hp means I have way less room for error than the other guy. Is there some other reliable/safe strategy I'm just not seeing?

Or should I just play an orochi like everyone else?

Grab/guard break blockers and punch them off a cliff, or go into a top heavy and feint into your zone attack.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

on a whim, i decided to do nothing against a warden and see if they were willing to infinite shoulder charge combo me to death (they were). next round, i just used shove a lot to bully him.

'can't wait until they nerf lawbringer', cries the prestige 3 warden

I was doing some duels last night as Nobushi and came up against a Prestige 2 warden. He beat me but I was giving him a run for his money because I prestiged Warden too and know how he works. He leaves and I queue for another and we get matched again. He quits because "I can't get a guard break parry and I like to do that"

He beat me before without it and he could have again but nope. Gotta cry because he couldn't adapt :psyduck:

e:

This guy was a pretty good Warlord. I sent 'good fight!' to him after a close round he won. Then this happened :haw:

I won the first round. He won round 2 and then started emote spamming over my corpse like a cocky orochi prick. He quit before his body even hit the ground.

He was playing pre-buff Valkyrie :ohdear:

Sultan Tarquin fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Haroshia posted:

The Nobushi calling you a human being is icing on the cake.

Yeah, so much of his kit is great for getting people super mad. Trading that final heavy with the armour for the killing blow usually gets a comment as well. And don't get me started on managing a clutch win with Demon's Embrace just seconds away from death :allears: