Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

BusinessWallet posted:

The floor is built the same way. I can actually see the assembly in the basement in the part that is unfinished.

I'd agree with you on the drywall/insulation damage thing with the ductwork insulation, but the issue is just as bad in the bedrooms where there's nothing but insulation in the walls.

Can you replicate the issue by standing outside an exterior wall and talking? Does the sound permeate through an exterior wall as well as it does between units? If so, then you are probably right and it's somehow crappy wall construction that is allowing for the sound to transfer though.

I would probably just move if I was confident that the walls themselves were the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen
Yep, when people are outside the house we hear them actually a bit louder than we do through the wall, but I suspect that some of that is windows and doors.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I don't think I'd ever buy a townhouse, they seem like more expensive apartments and you get a much smaller equity gain over time with all of the frustrations of apartment living

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

This townhouse sounds amazing. I would lawyer up, seems unlivable.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

ex post facho posted:

I don't think I'd ever buy a townhouse, they seem like more expensive apartments and you get a much smaller equity gain over time with all of the frustrations of apartment living

I don't know, in Philly in most neighborhoods all the houses were rowhomes with shared walls but they were this really incredibly thick plaster and so sound from neighbors was literally never an issue even with a SCREAMING baby. It's different when these lovely modern construction firms try their take on "walls" aka drywall sandwiches around shared structures.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I don't know, in Philly in most neighborhoods all the houses were rowhomes with shared walls but they were this really incredibly thick plaster and so sound from neighbors was literally never an issue even with a SCREAMING baby. It's different when these lovely modern construction firms try their take on "walls" aka drywall sandwiches around shared structures.

While the plaster helps, it's really the PROPER CODE REQUIRED FIREWALL of the time - i.e., block or brick. As soon as the regs started counting 2 sheets of 5/8" drywall as a 2 hour rated assembly things went just as you'd expect in regards to noise.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Motronic posted:

While the plaster helps, it's really the PROPER CODE REQUIRED FIREWALL of the time - i.e., block or brick. As soon as the regs started counting 2 sheets of 5/8" drywall as a 2 hour rated assembly things went just as you'd expect in regards to noise.

This is interesting!

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I've been reading over this thread for the past few days, finally got all caught up. Hey, fellow homeowners! A few facts about my abode: built in 2007, I purchasee in 2014. 1400sqft, 3bed2bath, with a half acre of land. Town of 500, suburb of city with 15k. Rural living 4 lyfe :tbear:

My washer won't spin on high anymore, and my HVAC unit sounds kinda weird on startup so I need to call some people. Carpet is in dire need of replacement, a few walls need painting. Other than that, this thread has inspired me to do some landscaping in my leaf-hell, install some gutter guards, and maybe take the satellite off the house.

One of my more imminent projects, hopefully, will be to enclose my carport into a garage. I plan to extend it 5ft to the left, which requires extending the roof and pouring a sizeable concrete slab. Getting some estimates this week!

Almost forgot the most important piece of info: Charbroil 4+1 burner propane grill, purchased on clearance for $100

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CloFan posted:

...my leaf-hell...

I have just under a half acre with a pretty critical leaf issue as well, and ordered one of these. A mulch report will be forthcoming when it gets here.

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen
My neighbor who just had a newborn and is having the same issue as us is having a contractor rip out all the fiberglass in his walls and re-insulate with spray foam, in the hopes that it will help with the noise.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BusinessWallet posted:

My neighbor who just had a newborn and is having the same issue as us is having a contractor rip out all the fiberglass in his walls and re-insulate with spray foam, in the hopes that it will help with the noise.

I hope they are being safe with all of that construction dust and fiberglass debris. Infants are the most susceptible to that, they should make sure to let their pediatrician know. To get down off my high horse buy them a white noise machine, this one was $25 when we bought it and is way better than insulation: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GFSF402/ They need one for the baby and one for themselves.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Motronic posted:

So you're just separated from the neighbours by drywall? Sounds super dodgy! So someone could get into your house by falling through the wall?

gently caress neighbours with white noise machines.

Bbq: kamado grill off Ebay for £140 (this thing is life changing)

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

Anyone got any power washer recommendations? My patio is concrete and the dogs have managed to get muddy pawprints all over it that don't come off without significant scrubbing. loving red clay.

Also, today I finally managed to get my faucet swapped out in the kitchen. I probably made it far more complicated than needed but plumbing intimidates me for some reason .

Grill status:. Weber performer deluxe charcoal. Shopping for a smoker to accompany it.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Citizen Z posted:

Grill status:. Weber performer deluxe charcoal. Shopping for a smoker to accompany it.

Weber Smokey Mountain. Go right for the 22" model, you won't regret having the extra grill space and can always get the smaller charcoal ring for smaller cook sessions.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Grill status: some old red Weber kettle from the 50s that belonged to my grandpa. Needs some new wheels and the wood handles are rotted out but otherwise still makes a mean burg.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
If I have £100,000 deposit, and my partner has 0 deposit, and we buy a property for £270,000, our mortgage would be £170,000.

What I can't figure out is how much if the £600pm mortgage I'd be liable for. She's got to pay her £100,000 so together we are borrowing 70,000, out of that 70,000 half is mine, but I cannot for the life of me do the math on how much that would work out to out of the 600pm.

Solicitor has told us this can be done and if we do break up I'll be protected 100% financially.

Like, my math puts 35 at 20% of 170, and if that's 600 a month in repayments, that means I'm on the hook for £120 a month.

willie_dee fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 20, 2017

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008
Will having a massively stacked mortgage repayment create tension? Will it cripple her financially? How would you feel if it was reversed.

willie_dee posted:

If I have £100,000 deposit, and my partner has 0 deposit, and we buy a property for £270,000, our mortgage would be £170,000.

Can you write something that says you own 37% of the property outright and the other 63% is owned jointly and equally. This would mean that you both pay 300 pm for a total of 600.

If it all goes south then the first 37% of the current value or 100k is yours with the option to buy her out of her chunk.

Alternatively could you drop the downpayment down to just above the minimum required amount so that she is borrowing less individually and more together? just because you have 100k doesn't mean to needs to all be spent upfront.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Anphear posted:

Will having a massively stacked mortgage repayment create tension? Will it cripple her financially? How would you feel if it was reversed.

Can you write something that says you own 37% of the property outright and the other 63% is owned jointly and equally. This would mean that you both pay 300 pm for a total of 600.

If it all goes south then the first 37% of the current value or 100k is yours with the option to buy her out of her chunk.

Alternatively could you drop the downpayment down to just above the minimum required amount so that she is borrowing less individually and more together? just because you have 100k doesn't mean to needs to all be spent upfront.

Nope, shes paying almost that in rent at the moment, and she just finished paying off her car and whilst its tempting to trade in to get a newer model, she wants to keep it and not be making any more car payments, so she will almost be better off paying slightly more mortgage per month vs paying rent and her car payments.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
You're a doofus don't buy a house with someone you aren't married to

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Bozart posted:

This. Oh so hard, this.

My best friend bought a house with the girl he's been with for a couple years now (there was some point in there where they split and she was engaged to another dude but nbd we don't talk about it). They didn't do anything with a lawyer beforehand so if they break up they're either stuck together or somebody has to somehow buy the other out. I felt like I should say something but I didn't know until very late in the process and oh God why did one of their four parents not say anything.

E: I also have my own experience related to this. Was with a girl for three years before buying my house. All in my name, etc. Three years into it she left, which sucked, but all I had to deal with was replacing some minor appliances. I can't imagine dealing with a financial aspect on top of the emotional stuff already there. The house has gone up 100k or so in value, so if we had split, do I have to come up with 50k for her on top of what she already had toward principal? What if the house had gone down in value? Ultimately the situation would require us to sell it and both find new places.

The Big Jesus fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 20, 2017

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

It's not that bad, gay couples did it all the time, but talk to a drat attorney.

Actually talk to an attorney regardless, house purchases are expensive complicated transactions.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Bozart posted:

Pretty much this. It can be done, and is in fact not overly uncommon, but it's still likely a bad idea. Is there are reason you can't just buy the place and have her pay for utilities or a small bit towards "rent" or something? Again, it's probably a bad idea, but even more so because:

willie_dee posted:

If I have £100,000 deposit, and my partner has 0 deposit

willie_dee posted:

Nope, shes paying almost that in rent at the moment, and she just finished paying off her car and whilst its tempting to trade in to get a newer model, she wants to keep it and not be making any more car payments, so she will almost be better off paying slightly more mortgage per month vs paying rent and her car payments.

"I'm paying almost that in rent anyway, so I can obviously afford this mortgage!" is like, rookie mistake #1. The actual cost of living in the house will be significantly higher than just the mortgage. Utilities, repairs, renovations, taxes, etc. are all very costly and will often add up to way more than the mortgage costs themselves. Case in point, my mortgage is about $650/month, however with all the rest, including saving for ongoing/future repairs, the cost of the home is around $1700/month minimum.

I'm also not sure how the car payments are factoring into this at all. Just because you've paid off your current car loan doesn't mean that you should stop saving for car replacement/repairs. Cars (and housing for that matter) are an expense, not an investment. The fact that she has zero savings for a down payment and is thinking about using savings from a completed car payment to pay a MORE expensive mortgage rather than, you know, save, is a red flag. If you want to move in together and help her save some money on rent, then by all means, buy the place yourself and let her live there while paying what she can afford while also building up some savings. Couples with unequal incomes do this all the time. This has the advantage of still allowing her to save (which I'm guessing is the appeal of ownership vs. renting) while not wrapping up loans and contracts in your relationship.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

DJCobol posted:

Weber Smokey Mountain. Go right for the 22" model, you won't regret having the extra grill space and can always get the smaller charcoal ring for smaller cook sessions.

That'd be a nice mix if you like charcoal. There's also Masterbuilt and the like if you want a lower hassle electric.

Current grill status: Propane grill that's held together partially by wire and should probably be replaced when they start putting grills on clearance in the fall. Trying to get a Masterbuilt smoker when I see a good price.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Bozart posted:

I don't think things work in the UK like they do in the USA. Buying a house together is far more of a commitment financially anyway, but neither of us really believe in marriage. Give it another 10 years. We have been to so many weddings recently its boring.

willie_dee posted:

Solicitor has told us this can be done and if we do break up I'll be protected 100% financially.

minivanmegafun posted:

It's not that bad, gay couples did it all the time, but talk to a drat attorney.

Actually talk to an attorney regardless, house purchases are expensive complicated transactions.

A Soclicitor in the UK is an attorney/lawyer.

LogisticEarth posted:

Pretty much this. It can be done, and is in fact not overly uncommon, but it's still likely a bad idea. Is there are reason you can't just buy the place and have her pay for utilities or a small bit towards "rent" or something? Again, it's probably a bad idea, but even more so because:

That's what we have be doing. This isn't a new relationship, lol! Sorry if that wasn't clear.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
Wanted to address this separately.

LogisticEarth posted:

"I'm paying almost that in rent anyway, so I can obviously afford this mortgage!" is like, rookie mistake #1. The actual cost of living in the house will be significantly higher than just the mortgage. Utilities, repairs, renovations, taxes, etc. are all very costly and will often add up to way more than the mortgage costs themselves. Case in point, my mortgage is about $650/month, however with all the rest, including saving for ongoing/future repairs, the cost of the home is around $1700/month minimum.

In the UK I think homes are built far better, most come with a 10 year NHBC housing warranty. I have lived in my current place for 7 years and have only ever had to replace my poo poo electric shower and some other white goods that broke over time. Buy cheap buy twice etc.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Clearly this conversation can go nowhere because wtf is an electric shower goddamn UK what is wrong with you ?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I am having some doubts now, everyone in the UK is doing this, and I just wanted an answer to see if my math was right, but now I have got a few people telling me what an awful idea it is, even though I don't understand why. Maybe we can figure it out itt.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Clearly this conversation can go nowhere because wtf is an electric shower goddamn UK what is wrong with you ?

http://www.screwfix.com/c/bathrooms-kitchens/electric-showers/cat820330

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

willie_dee posted:

In the UK I think homes are built far better, most come with a 10 year NHBC housing warranty. I have lived in my current place for 7 years and have only ever had to replace my poo poo electric shower and some other white goods that broke over time. Buy cheap buy twice etc.

Oh cool, didn't know the U.K. had homes with no electrical, plumbing, fixtures, heating/cooling, appliances, roofing, landscaping, paint or anything else that ever needed repair.

Homes in the US aren't "built worse", there are general maintenance things all houses need.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

FCKGW posted:

Oh cool, didn't know the U.K. had homes with no electrical, plumbing, fixtures, heating/cooling, appliances, roofing, landscaping, paint or anything else that ever needed repair.

Homes in the US aren't "built worse", there are general maintenance things all houses need.

All of which would be covered under the NHBC warranty?

No need to be sarcastic.

My sisters carpet started coming up in a corner in her apartment 3 years after she purchased it, she got the whole carpet replaced completely free of charge.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

willie_dee posted:

I am having some doubts now, everyone in the UK is doing this, and I just wanted an answer to see if my math was right, but now I have got a few people telling me what an awful idea it is, even though I don't understand why. Maybe we can figure it out itt.

I think the general gist of it is that you're needlessly entering into a financial contract with your girlfriend for...no real reason? If you're not married, and this isn't a business venture/flipping situation, and you don't need her input for a down payment, then there seems to be no upside for either of you and only needless complications.

Also while I'm hardly a fan of current new construction in the US, I'm sure that the homes in the UK aren't some kind of super structures that don't require maintenance or renovation. New construction is one thing, but you'll need to save for future repairs or updates, home warranty or no.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

willie_dee posted:

No need to be sarcastic.

My sisters carpet started coming up in a corner in her apartment 3 years after she purchased it, she got the whole carpet replaced completely free of charge.

Houses typically last longer than ten years, dude.

I bet at year 11 is when poo poo starts going sideways anyway.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

willie_dee posted:

No need to be sarcastic.

If you have a warranty, all you are doing is paying in advance for 10 years worth of low quality fixes to be done to your property, plus the warranty company profit margin. You can buy plenty of home warranties in the US too - but if you are happy with the cheapest/lowest quality repairs and improvements being (maybe) done on your place after harassing the warranty company to do them, then you may as well just keep renting.

Edit: that warranty looks like it is for new homes only?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Also: Are you under the impression that new homes built outside of the UK don't have similar warranties on them?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Also: Are you under the impression that new homes built outside of the UK don't have similar warranties on them?

When people started talking about spending $1000's of dollars on upkeep on a house, yea! I have owned my property 7 years and spent about £500 max in upkeep and repairs.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

willie_dee posted:

When people started talking about spending $1000's of dollars on upkeep on a house, yea! I have owned my property 7 years and spent about £500 max in upkeep and repairs.

Hot tip: most people don't buy brand new houses.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Droo posted:

Edit: that warranty looks like it is for new homes only?

Yea, the city centre where we are looking to buy is being flooded by new style NYC style apartments, property prices have gone insane, and we want in.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

willie_dee posted:

Yea, the city centre where we are looking to buy is being flooded by new style NYC style apartments, property prices have gone insane, and we want in.

Ahahaha this gets even better:

1) Mortgage with no-savings girlfriend as co-applicant.
2) "We don't need to worry about maintenance".
3) "Housing prices are skyrocketing, gotta get in before WE'RE PRICED OUT OF THE MARKET!"

More seriously, are you buying a house or an apartment? Because the way maintenance costs are spread out between the two can be quite different. This could explain why we're all giving you poo poo about maintenance costs.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

While we're on the topic of how great EU construction is (??), what is up with the stupidly tiny washer/dryer units that every Euro apartment I rent seems to have? Is doing 3 loads of laundry instead of 1 some kind of soothing family activity where people watch the tiny bin spin around for 3 hours? I know those tiny units can't possibly be that much cheaper or save much space compared to a normal sized one.

The last apartment I rented in Amsterdam some dumb plumber broke a pipe in the unit 2 floors up and flooded everything. I went up there to let him know in a mostly friendly not caring because it's not my stupid apartment way, and he spent 10 minutes arguing with me that it wasn't his fault and it was probably just a coincidence. I eventually just started yelling at him TURN OFF THE WATER RIGHT NOW repeatedly and he didn't know how to do it. He had ripped out part of the wall to do his work and everything appeared to be framed out with 1x3 sized lumber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
hell, get the mortgage yourself and have your girlfriend pay you rent