Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Daztek posted:

CIG canceled / didn't show up. Again

:allears:

lol citizens found out so they were gonna be watching. Cant bring in noobs that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Nice. Never thought China would add something positive to my gaming day.

Anveo
Mar 23, 2002

D_Smart posted:

Whoa! Apparently Spectrum is just a re-skinned slug

http://www.dereksmart.com/forum/index.php?topic=63.msg1096#msg1096

What's 'Slug'? Those highlights just look like url templates, where the slug portions get replaced by a human readable string. That's a pretty universal term all web devs use.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Samizdata posted:

Nice. Never thought China would add something positive to my gaming day.

The party is not a big fan of videogame, prefering the young to spend time in study or at work. I think they regulate the number of hours you can play and tie your account to your identity via your phone or your Chinese ID number.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Check out that twitch link for some immensely unimpressive footage

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

aleksendr posted:

The party is not a big fan of videogame, prefering the young to spend time in study or at work. I think they regulate the number of hours you can play and tie your account to your identity via your phone or your Chinese ID number.

Not surprised to hear that's a possibility. Well, for everyone but the gold farmers.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
They qualify as workers so its all nice and legal.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Check out that twitch link for some immensely unimpressive footage

But it had epic music and everything!

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Berious posted:

But it had epic music and everything!

The music sucked oval office

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
I've never heard of Slug, I gather it's another Slack/Discord/Curse like?

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Anveo posted:

What's 'Slug'? Those highlights just look like url templates, where the slug portions get replaced by a human readable string. That's a pretty universal term all web devs use.

Agreed, unless someone can find this "Slug" thing I am treating this as a non-story.

Lazrin
Apr 13, 2016

THEN HE SAID..NO WAIT, LISTEN. THEN HE SAID 3.0 IS COMING OUT BY DEC 19TH 2016
:laffo:

D_Smart posted:

Whoa! Apparently Spectrum is just a re-skinned slug

http://www.dereksmart.com/forum/index.php?topic=63.msg1096#msg1096

Are you really that loving dumb?

Edit: Rhetorical, obviously.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Lazrin posted:

Welcome back to the refunderdome

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Lazrin posted:

Whoa, look who found the shift key.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Lazrin posted:

Hooooooly poo poo, the prodigal son returns.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Lazrin posted:

Lazrin!!!!!!! Welcome back my brother

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Wow that twitch advert manages to be both totally disingenuous (10 ways to play!! nevermind that half of them are boring empty rooms where you can't do anything!) and completely loving boring and generic. Good job CIG! My advice is just keep doing what you're doing!

Lazrin
Apr 13, 2016

THEN HE SAID..NO WAIT, LISTEN. THEN HE SAID 3.0 IS COMING OUT BY DEC 19TH 2016
:laffo:

Welcome back to the refunderdome

That was funny.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Lazrin posted:

That was funny.

I try to use it when I can, please feel free to do the same

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lazrin posted:

Welcome back Lazrin, we missed you. Lately, poor MoMA is too busy loving super-models while he travels across the world drinking expensive Jarritos to pay the thread much attention.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Star Citizen is going to be a story on 60 Minutes in two weeks

Seriously, stuff like this is what investigative journalism was made for. Unfortunately it's not interesting until after they've absconded to a safe country.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Lazrin posted:

:eyepop:

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Why is it that the shills only come swooping in when something goes catastrophic for CIG?

I honestly doubt PCG will invite them again. Only so many times someone can gently caress over an event's schedule before they get kicked to the curb.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdRYthkSwvI

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

If they're talking about Spectrum, it's either going to be Sir Clive Sinclair or Captain Scarlet.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Thoatse posted:

Speaking of docksing..

:lol:

I've never seen that before. Their breasts had physics too so I hope that is in SC for my immersion.

:sureboat:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Congrats on getting a refund Lazrin.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Lord Kinbote posted:

A new guy started in my job last week, I'm a trainer in my workplace for reachtrucks so I gotta show the new guys the ropes and the gist of the place. So I'm training this guy, he's 40 years old about 5'5" with a head the size of a cinder block, let's say he stands out. I nickname him cement head. Anyways a few days later I'm sitting in the canteen and he sits across from me and we begin chatting about stuff. I tell him I'm into PC games and the Game I'm playing right now is ED. He starts talking about starcitizen and Chris Roberts and how good it is but seeing as I have a starter package and I read here I know how terrible it is.
I asked him how much he's spent and he told me about 1000. I start slamming him with facts about the game and how terrible it is. He was really pissed off by the end of our conversation and we went back to work and that was that.
The next day I come in and I get called up to HR, the guy made a complaint against me, he said he found me rude and my training was inadequate and that he wanted to be trained by someone else haha, this is the first complaint I've ever had since 5 years of training. Sorry bro I'm the only qualified trainer. Never showed up the day after.

If this is true, it's hilarious.

Honestly if I met a whale for real, I'd not care. If they spent a ton of money I'd just be "that's cool for you" and move on. That people care so much they actually risk jobs and relationships over it is so crazy.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

The Titanic posted:

If this is true, it's hilarious.

Honestly if I met a whale for real, I'd not care. If they spent a ton of money I'd just be "that's cool for you" and move on. That people care so much they actually risk jobs and relationships over it is so crazy.

I do not think I would be able to not make endless fun of someone like that. After all these years and no game, not one single backer can claim they were bamboozled. None of this is new and if you are still throwing money up Crobberts nose, then you deserve every single thing that happens to you at this point. I mean after all there is a SUBREDDIT dedicated to star citizen refunds for christsakes!

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

DapperDon posted:

I do not think I would be able to not make endless fun of someone like that. After all these years and no game, not one single backer can claim they were bamboozled. None of this is new and if you are still throwing money up Crobberts nose, then you deserve every single thing that happens to you at this point. I mean after all there is a SUBREDDIT dedicated to star citizen refunds for christsakes!

Reminder that in two weeks, I guest an event that Boredgamer will attend. Let me tell you how hard it is to not point and laugh. Hard.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

lol

how can people still defend this company?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

So today I was doing my once a month check on my Kickstarters, to remind myself of purchases I made years ago that I may someday get in the future. One in particular that I had forgotten about caught my eye today. It is the game "Crowfall", which is supposed to be a MMORPG with a PvP basis. I backed knowing it was a videogame and development would be a long time. I backed at the level where you get beta access. It was supposed to be December, so I checked up on it today. They are saying they want to hit Alpha by Summer and then release later this year. That strikes me as a bit out there, but whatever. Then in the update they link to the store, and I see this shat has gone Star Citizen on me.

https://crowfall.com/en/store/#store-item-detail-popup

Has a 7k "Stronghold Bundle", because not only do you have to buy the Castle, the defenses, and the land, you have to buy the loving accessories and throne room too.

**edit Animale tax**

IncredibleIgloo fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 18, 2017

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Arbite posted:

Derek, out of the idlest curiosity, did you ever give permission for your name to be used in someone else's game? Associated with winter sports?

Not that I'm aware of. But then again, I'm not the only Derek Smart (there's a hairdresser in LA, a cop in Ireland etc) on the planet. What'd I miss?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Anveo posted:

It looks like it's built on this open-source framework. So you are right in a sense.

There's a Reddit thread about it now as well.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

It's bizarre going from watching Star Citizen to watching something like this.

The cormorant is a fine little boat, especially since they buffed destroyers when they released Tier 3 destroyers. I have plenty of memories of being a newbie and salvaging in one, or fitting them out in a gimmick fitting with a billion dollars in faction mods to fit huge guns on it or something for fun. It was also the model of the interdictor I used successfully as a blackops FC and managed to catch some mining ops by doing creative cloaking / inline bubbles and just ruined peoples loving days with it.

Plenty of actual gameplay and now that ship has a really cool design and I can see the thought that went into the update.

Meanwhile on RSI you can pay $450 for a picture and you get tens of hours of footage about how they make pictures. All you get is the $450 picture.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Cao Ni Ma posted:

lol

how can people still defend this company?

17 KNOWN MISSIONS!

Also 48 ships to fly!!!

:hurr:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Raskolnikov posted:

17 KNOWN MISSIONS!

Also 48 ships to fly!!!

:hurr:

Wow. That's almost ¼ the number of missions from TIE Fighter (1995). Not bad for 5+ years of development, 20+ years later. And by “not bad,” I mean pretty horrible.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tippis posted:

Wow. That's almost ¼ the number of missions from TIE Fighter (1995). Not bad for 5+ years of development, 20+ years later. And by “not bad,” I mean pretty horrible.

You try making more than 17 missions with the mechanics they got in place :colbert:

...actually, it wouldn't be hard to think of a few, if you allow for griefing the commandos

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

You try making more than 17 missions with the mechanics they got in place :colbert:

Well, let's see… TIE Fighter had:

• Shooting ships with lasers
• Shooting ships with missiles
• Shooting ships with ion cannons
• Scanning ships (functionally the same thing as shooting them, but not actually firing a weapon)
• All of the above, but stations
• Dito, but nasty evil mine fields
• Dito, but big cargo pods
• Exploding. Like, a lot

Also, a bunch of stuff like switching ship system priorities, but that shouldn't affect the mission design (except in that one mission where perfect system balancing is an absolute necessity in order to capture the not-Millenium-Falcon-honestly-guv' filled with filthy rebel officers). Maybe CIG should look at that list of features and see what's missing so they can replicate the perfection of TIE Fighter a bit more quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Hobold posted:

Re-reading OP and seeing this makes me miss the ignorant days when there was still few enough examples of CR being CR that we had hope for this project.

Is that the ship flown by refunders?