Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Idk who is going to pay horiguchi, since he is a flyweight, but cirkunov shouldn't have much problem since people like to watch HWs and the HW division is so...thin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Literally the only thing FS1 has is the UFC, and Spike is kind of a real network. Also, it's on Sunday night because here in America we have a holiday on Monday where we get to celebrate the lives of the men who shaped our great nation by staying inside and playing video games all day because it's too cold to go anywhere.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Idk who is going to pay horiguchi, since he is a flyweight, but cirkunov shouldn't have much problem since people like to watch HWs and the HW division is so...thin.

Rizin

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Actually if Horiguchi went to Road/ONE or something it might be for the best if he quickly becomes their champ and gets a ton of experience fighting 5 rounders before coming back the UFC and facing DJ.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 18, 2017

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
If WME IMG manages to mismanage so hard that Rizin succeeds as the first true successor to Pride it will be a worthy outcome.

If Bellator becomes viable however this is a fate worse than Kimbo and Dada death.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
This article about Horiguchi says they turned down the UFC's offer based on both the money offered and the fight schedule. Krylov also turned them down, and Dana White's comment on Cirkunov was that he met with him but Cirkunov "flaked out" on their offer so Dana was "done" with him. So it sounds like the UFC is making offers to these guys and the guys aren't liking what they're being offered.

http://www.flocombat.com/article/52124-kyoji-horiguchi-is-officially-a-free-agent#.WKcuHzsrLZs

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Lid posted:

If WME IMG manages to mismanage so hard that Rizin succeeds as the first true successor to Pride it will be a worthy outcome.

If Bellator becomes viable however this is a fate worse than Kimbo and Dada death.

you're overreacting

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
It also kinda reminds me of the old stories where Dana would declare himself "done" with somebody while negotiating and then Lorenzo would step in and hammer out a deal, but Lorenzo isn't there anymore

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Skip My Posts posted:

you're overreacting

I am, i'm thinking years ahead not that UFC is on deaths door right now. But you cant argue the signs have been good and that its clear they are taking all the wrong cues from boxing.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Lid posted:

I am, i'm thinking years ahead not that UFC is on deaths door right now. But you cant argue the signs have been good and that its clear they are taking all the wrong cues from boxing.

The UFC's draw power is and will be down to a few fighters. Conor can pull big numbers for them, so he has an insanely long leash. They tried their best to build up Sage and Paige, and look how that turned out. Not every prospective fighter needs the rising start treatment -- some will just happen on their own, like Bones from being really good or Conor from being good and talking a ton of poo poo.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Cody craves TJ's rear end

https://twitter.com/Cody_Nolove/status/832993537964716033

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Jesus Cody. Pump the brakes a sec and run a spell check.

Or just stop talking about rear end so much.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Not a typo.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

It's good that gay skinhead fighters can be out and proud now :)

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

kimbo305 posted:

The UFC's draw power is and will be down to a few fighters. Conor can pull big numbers for them, so he has an insanely long leash. They tried their best to build up Sage and Paige, and look how that turned out. Not every prospective fighter needs the rising start treatment -- some will just happen on their own, like Bones from being really good or Conor from being good and talking a ton of poo poo.

Yes but if you start relying on only names they realise that they control you and not tge other way around, UFC was successful in building by avoiding the boxing pitfall of letting the fighters choose. The loss of Lorenzo and Joe Silva contributes strongly to this. As for Sage and Paige everyone could see that was protection based on nothing and yeah it blew up in their faces. As for Bones he is one that shows what happens when you get too big too fast and burns out in a blaze of glory, like tge burn one feels from a fingernail raking the cornea.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Dan Didio posted:

:siren: Johny Hendricks Watch, 2017 :siren:

Johny Hendricks has successfully made weight; 185.5lbs.

nice job mr hendricks

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Dillashaw ain't even that thicc, not sure why Cody craves his rear end when there's dudes like EA and Conor

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Lid posted:

its better than ever

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
I miss Al Capone already

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

I.N.R.I posted:

its better than ever

Holly Holm v Artem Lobov

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Lid posted:

Holly Holm v Artem Lobov

Artem Lobov v Julian Lane after he wins TUF 25

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

Now that Cody has proven he's the best, his Tobias Funke-style poo poo talk has become really endearing.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
It's not the death of the ufc or anything but it seems insanely bad that WME has a branch of business that manages fighters

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Gone already lol

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://www.instagram.com/p/BQpFYqjjcgd/

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Lid posted:

Holly Holm v Artem Lobov

?

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

He's dumb.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

henkman posted:

Gone already lol

Yeah, I was looking forward to seeing it.

freud mayweather posted:

Now that Cody has proven he's the best, his Tobias Funke-style poo poo talk has become really endearing.

A perfect description.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Here ya go

http://i.imgur.com/yAoLfIP.jpg

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
lol

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
it got played out for a little bit but Cody is the horniest fighter of all time, which may explain why he's the greatest one too

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.

Bubba Smith posted:

it got played out for a little bit but Cody is the horniest fighter of all time, which may explain why he's the greatest one too

A much hornier man recently lost to Artem Lobov so I don't know if this works out.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

El Roncho posted:

A much hornier man recently lost to Artem Lobov so I don't know if this works out.

He wasted his seed/essence before the fight. Cody clearly takes after Jack Ripper and does not allow a woman to take his essence.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Ah, truly unravelling the secrets of No Love here.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
Cody Somelove

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Cody BroLove

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

kimbo305 posted:

Ah, truly unravelling the secrets of No Love here.

No Love has always been a nod to the voluntary celibacy cause.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Lid posted:

Yes but if you start relying on only names they realise that they control you and not tge other way around, UFC was successful in building by avoiding the boxing pitfall of letting the fighters choose. The loss of Lorenzo and Joe Silva contributes strongly to this. As for Sage and Paige everyone could see that was protection based on nothing and yeah it blew up in their faces. As for Bones he is one that shows what happens when you get too big too fast and burns out in a blaze of glory, like tge burn one feels from a fingernail raking the cornea.

Man I don't know poo poo about business but I sort of agree with you. It's just a couple of prospects leaving and the paying for fightpass thing at the moment, but I've got a bad feeling

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Us American's have a wonderful tradition of finding a good thing and then letting the rich gently caress the hell out of it. So...prepare for that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Captain Log posted:

Us American's have a wonderful tradition of finding a good thing and then letting the rich gently caress the hell out of it. So...prepare for that...

the fertittas were rich and built something amazing. the only difference in terms of fertitta richness and conglomerate richness seems to be lorenzo would open his wallet for every tiny japanese man joe silva wouldn't stop messaging him about.

• Locked thread