Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Weirdo posted:

Maybe draw in some spots between rips to make it look like a pattern effect? Add some kirby dots or lens flare type patterns. Either way, thumbs up on the itasha starship :3:

Sweet, that looks good. Didn't know what those comic book things were called. Mask off the areas and apply purple paint via toothbrush?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
I'm about to deploy. I've got a few projects to take with me to work on (some Stormcast dudes I'm giving different heads, some Reaper fantasy dudes, some Khador infantry dudes and a mech). I also want you guys to suggest something for me to work on, on the basis that you might pick something that'll toss me out of my comfort zone. I only ask that A) it not be too huge a mini, since I won't have an airbrush to work with or a huge amount of storage space, and B) that it not be something I'm gonna get in trouble for having in a professional environment, so no titty minis. I'm game for basically anything else.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
If you are looking for something challenging in the 40k universe maybe try some Harlequins. I have been working on these guys and drat it hs been some of the most difficult stuff I have worked on. The diamond checkers and strips on all the cloth has really pushed my free handing to the limit. You should be able to pick some up on ebay pretty cheap from death masque.

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016

JackMann posted:

I'm about to deploy. I've got a few projects to take with me to work on (some Stormcast dudes I'm giving different heads, some Reaper fantasy dudes, some Khador infantry dudes and a mech). I also want you guys to suggest something for me to work on, on the basis that you might pick something that'll toss me out of my comfort zone. I only ask that A) it not be too huge a mini, since I won't have an airbrush to work with or a huge amount of storage space, and B) that it not be something I'm gonna get in trouble for having in a professional environment, so no titty minis. I'm game for basically anything else.

Can never have too much terrain! Might make a good project. Though idk what your materials will be like.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

The Sex Cannon posted:

What's the best way to do that?

With minis that small I'd use a rubbish brush rather than a sponge, but it's essentially the same technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4yrqR4Jw8E

You don't need to go this far, a simple application of bolt gun will work just fine, it's up to you how far you want to take it.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 16, 2017

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Weirdo posted:

Maybe draw in some spots between rips to make it look like a pattern effect? Add some kirby dots or lens flare type patterns. Either way, thumbs up on the itasha starship :3:
I did it. I actually think this result is better than a clean cut decal placement. Looks more interesting.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

I did it. I actually think this result is better than a clean cut decal placement. Looks more interesting.

I'm speechless

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Chill la Chill posted:

Your Wang's are by far my favorite

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bob Ross was right. Happy accidents are the best.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

JackMann posted:

You probably want a spiky, biological mini and/or a flat starship if you want something that's really different from what you have there. Flat-panel ships might be too similar to the WM mech and Khador infantry. I'd say a Tyranid mini but those are more chitinous than spiky and the huge plates resemble the Khador style.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Tentacle Party posted:

This isn't my work, but its now in my possession. Its painted by Aythami Alonso Torrent, a professional painter from Spain. I won it in a raffle for his video tutorial watchers.

It is... amazing.

It's heartening to know that even pro-painters stuff doesn't look utterly flawless when photographed in macro. His highlights are surprisingly un-blended, but I bet your eyes can't focus close enough to notice it IRL.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Z the IVth posted:

It's heartening to know that even pro-painters stuff doesn't look utterly flawless when photographed in macro. His highlights are surprisingly un-blended, but I bet your eyes can't focus close enough to notice it IRL.

Yeah, the photo booth makes a lot of those paintings more impressive too. I suggest going to a convention with a painting competition, that's a really good reality check to measure your skills against the pros. Not that what Giraldez and co. doesn't take years to master, it's that a lot of lines that look too thick or things that look too unblended here and there can be hidden and blurred with the right photo booth and camera setup.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Chill la Chill posted:

That is really cool. Do you have a tutorial you followed or something? Haven't seen anything like that before. Very very impressive.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Cross posting because this thread helped a bunch.

First army, first painting of anything. I have a bit of an art background, so I got the concepts, just doing them is taking getting used to. Especially paint thickness. I started with the gun, then went to the suit.

I wanted to avoid all the more common Tau color schemes and have something more dark/urban/military, rather than Gundam. The bluish green seems to get lost in it though. I'm hoping after highlights and weathering it will stand out better.

E:Still have to add white and metals, plus details and such.

Kabuki Shipoopi fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 17, 2017

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

Bob Ross was right. Happy accidents are the best.

Looks great! Did you make the decal yourself or purchase it somewhere?

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

First army, first painting of anything. I have a bit of an art background, so I got the concepts, just doing them is taking getting used to. Especially paint thickness. I started with the gun, then went to the suit.

I wanted to avoid all the more common Tau color schemes and have something more dark/urban/military, rather than Gundam. The bluish green seems to get lost in it though. I'm hoping after highlights and weathering it will stand out better.

That's rad. What colors did you use for the purple and off white?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

WIP Liberator from the box set. Am I a bad person for liking the sigmarines now? I was turned off by the solid gold colorscheme, but doing this one in silver has been a lot of fun. It helps that they are big and easy to paint. This is post-shading, will need a lot of highlights.

e: also I'm having fun working out how the silver and gold will balance on the retributors. I've seen it done a lot of ways so far and want to pick one that highlights the difference between them and the libs.

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 17, 2017

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Welp, I still have this thing sitting around. I do love my purple, so might base my scheme off yours. This is a great start. Are you sure you don't want to use neon green for the cool energy bits? :mrgw:

JesusIsTehCool posted:

That is really cool. Do you have a tutorial you followed or something? Haven't seen anything like that before. Very very impressive.
Hm? it's just a decal and toothbrush flicking. The rest is me fumbling around getting used to an airbrush, so the engine glow is uneven and I currently rely too much on stencils. I still haven't figured out what I want to do with the empty space on the starboard side. I'll probably end up making a Miku "Love is War" symbol stencil and make a design off that, but who knows

Weirdo posted:

Looks great! Did you make the decal yourself or purchase it somewhere?
eBay, but the decal is extremely fragile. I would honestly recommend just getting some decal sheets yourself if you have a color printer, but I don't and wanted to spin the roulette.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Booyah- posted:

WIP Liberator from the box set. Am I a bad person for liking the sigmarines now? I was turned off by the solid gold colorscheme, but doing this one in silver has been a lot of fun. It helps that they are big and easy to paint. This is post-shading, will need a lot of highlights.

e: also I'm having fun working out how the silver and gold will balance on the retributors. I've seen it done a lot of ways so far and want to pick one that highlights the difference between them and the libs.

Looking good dude, it's amazing what a disservice the default Stormcast scheme does to the miniatures. As for yours I think you've got the colour balance just right.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Booyah- posted:

I'm still not a big fan of the metal masks, but they look a heck of a lot better in this scheme.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

JackMann posted:

I'm still not a big fan of the metal masks, but they look a heck of a lot better in this scheme.

yeah I missed around with replacement heads, and skeleton heads look pretty cool XD. I just don't have enough of them.

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 17, 2017

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Booyah- posted:

yeah I missed around with replacement heads, and skeleton heads look pretty cool XD. I just don't have enough of them.

Planning on doing some headswap experiments in the near future with Bones and some other sources. I've also seen some cool ones using Space Wolves heads.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

JackMann posted:

Planning on doing some headswap experiments in the near future with Bones and some other sources. I've also seen some cool ones using Space Wolves heads.

it's interesting that the huge heads of space marines, relative to their bodies, turn out to be in scale with the sigmarine bodies for a more realistic armoring. I wouldnt use the armored heads but I could see space wolves stuff working.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Lt_Tofu posted:

That's rad. What colors did you use for the purple and off white?

Thanks! Naggaroth Night for the purple and Karak Stone for the off white.

Chill la Chill posted:

Welp, I still have this thing sitting around. I do love my purple, so might base my scheme off yours. This is a great start. Are you sure you don't want to use neon green for the cool energy bits? :mrgw:

:awesomelon::respek::awesomelon:
I was thinking of doing white as the 4th color, like accents and the head maybe? I'm not sure. I'm open to suggestions though.

I reaaaaaly wanted to avoid the Neon Genesis look altogether haha! I thought maybe red for the glow, or maybe a more ballsy ultraviolet, but that may not turn out well considering its already mainly purple. Different isn't always good. :shrug:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

JackMann posted:

I had great results by making them undead.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Chill la Chill posted:

Hm? it's just a decal and toothbrush flicking. The rest is me fumbling around getting used to an airbrush, so the engine glow is uneven and I currently rely too much on stencils. I still haven't figured out what I want to do with the empty space on the starboard side. I'll probably end up making a Miku "Love is War" symbol stencil and make a design off that, but who knows

eBay, but the decal is extremely fragile. I would honestly recommend just getting some decal sheets yourself if you have a color printer, but I don't and wanted to spin the roulette.

Ahh thought you made the decal yourself, it looks a lot better than any homemade decal I have ever seen.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Jesus christ you guys are great at painting these things. I have so much work to do.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Jesus christ you guys are great at painting these things. I have so much work to do.

I'm pretty terrible honestly, I just follow guides and stuff online. If you are having problems you should post here.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Don't worry, I'm awful too. We'll get better together!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
The only way to get better is to paint more, so keep painting!

Slimnoid posted:

These guys and those Warcraft 3 footmen conversions are my favorite uses of the Sigmarine minis. I like the base model alright, but a little converting can go a long way towards making them better models.

Booyah- posted:

The right paintjob can make a world of difference. I was lukewarm on the Tempestus Scions and Taurox models when they came out in that weird baby blue scheme, but once I got the chance to paint them in more grounded military colors I learned to love them.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I feel the same way about the new Sigmar orcs. The yellow armor looks dumb as hell, but paint it black and it looks pretty okay.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Slimnoid posted:

:black101:

where did the skulls come from? thats way bigger than tomb kings size

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Booyah- posted:

:black101:

where did the skulls come from? thats way bigger than tomb kings size

Those are from the old GW plastic skeletons, which are/were the same size as TK skellies.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Completed my Techpriest Dominus. I took people's advice and drybrushed the base, but it ended up lighter than I wanted, so I hit it with P3 Red Ink. I like it much more now.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Zuul the Cat posted:

Completed my Techpriest Dominus. I took people's advice and drybrushed the base, but it ended up lighter than I wanted, so I hit it with P3 Red Ink. I like it much more now.

Might be a thought to use a brown or purple wash rather than red. Your base and robe colours are now very similar and they kind of blend together.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

It begins.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Is there a product available specifically pre-thinned for pin washing? I ask because when I've tried in the past I usually end up with the paint breaking down and pigment separating oit as beads. Seeing that Mig do a product specifically for applying oil to models for modulation got me wondering.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I just bought a bottle of panel wash. It comes with a tiny brush applicator.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

JackMann posted:

It begins.

It's amazing how much less dumb they look with proper heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Ilor posted:

I just bought a bottle of panel wash. It comes with a tiny brush applicator.

Cheers, that seems to be exactly what I was looking for.