Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Ok so, I love the idea of cannibalism and Delicious species and all that but it's weird as hell that it's ten times more efficient to breed sentient livestock than just... regular... livestock.
But all livestock is sentient :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Ok so, I love the idea of cannibalism and Delicious species and all that but it's weird as hell that it's ten times more efficient to breed sentient livestock than just... regular... livestock.

Maybe efficiency hasn't got anything to do with it, and it's sheer numbers. For example, the cattle population of the Earth is 1.4 billion, while sheep and pigs come in at 1 billion. This is in comparison to a human population of 7 billion.

This is mostly relevant to reducing the population of a conquered world to livestock status, but then again, that's the most likely use case for the feature.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
my use case for the feature is that it's hysterical to purge by eating

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Coolguye posted:

my use case for the feature is that it's hysterical to purge by eating

Ummm that's called processing, not livestock. Maybe check your facts before posting???

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Splicer posted:

This is a really good post.

It also just reminded of me of when I was playing a Xenophile and ended up swamped by a whole bunch of these fast-breeding furry rat dudes on my main species' planets because I wasn't paying attention when I said yes to the migration treaty. I was locked into no purges/resettlement so I couldn't get rid of them by any standard "evil" approaches.

I genetically engineered their entire species from Ocean preference to Arctic preference and watched them all slowly gently caress off to other empires and a few freshly colonised frigid hellhole honeypot worlds. Mrs. Splicer called me "a passive aggressive monster".

I've noticed that my leaders are gradually being replaced by my uplifted snapping turtles, because they're long-lived so tend to hang around once recruited.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
While we're talking about horrible things to do to enemy pops, how about a way to strip the brains out of your unfortunate victims and use them for computer parts? Mabye also a way to convert them into servitor armies, 40k style.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

Ummm that's called processing, not livestock. Maybe check your facts before posting???

Don't listen to their fake news, everyone knows the processing is humane.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Is there any way to see how far along my protectorate is to becoming a vassal? These dudes have been sitting in their corner masturbating for decades, I just want to loving integrate them already so I can clear up a couple of frontier posts.

Edit: I think some techs to decrease the influence cost of frontier stations would be interesting. Make them cheaper but also make the AI preferentially target them in war.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

While we're talking about horrible things to do to enemy pops, how about a way to strip the brains out of your unfortunate victims and use them for computer parts? Mabye also a way to convert them into servitor armies, 40k style.

Wiz did say that in addition to becoming delicious, one could nerve staple pops to make them into obedient drones.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Strategic Tea posted:

Don't listen to their fake news, everyone knows the processing is humane.

TBH, I think there was a missed opportunity in not calling it "Harvesting."

Kilravock
Jan 27, 2006

We are the hollow men

GunnerJ posted:

TBH, I think there was a missed opportunity in not calling it "Harvesting."

I didn't want Jupiter Ascending flashbacks man.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Wiz when are you going to make earth based pre-sentinets actual parrots/dolphins/chimps

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Alright, first draft of my species portrait mod is up!
It's, uh, only the one portrait (with dimorphism!) but I wanted to see if I could actually do it.

Also these guys are definitely going to be engineering other species as food come Banks.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Dog Kisser posted:

Alright, first draft of my species portrait mod is up!
It's, uh, only the one portrait (with dimorphism!) but I wanted to see if I could actually do it.

Also these guys are definitely going to be engineering other species as food come Banks.

The preview image on the workshop page is distorted for me. Looks like you might want to add padding to the top and bottom so that it fits the dimensions the page is expecting.

Looks really good though :)

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Chalks posted:

The preview image on the workshop page is distorted for me. Looks like you might want to add padding to the top and bottom so that it fits the dimensions the page is expecting.

Looks really good though :)

Annoying, but I'll fix it - thanks for the heads up. Also, howabouts do I go adding this to the Goon Race mod? Does this go against the spirit of it by having too much modded poo poo?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Dog Kisser posted:

Annoying, but I'll fix it - thanks for the heads up. Also, howabouts do I go adding this to the Goon Race mod? Does this go against the spirit of it by having too much modded poo poo?

The mods are all flavour mods for creating interesting empires so no, it is perfectly in keeping with the spirit of it. Also I was gonna tell you to make its race and add it to the mod before getting to this post, hahah.

I will handle setting up the prompt for requirements, you just submit the race.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

The mods are all flavour mods for creating interesting empires so no, it is perfectly in keeping with the spirit of it. Also I was gonna tell you to make its race and add it to the mod before getting to this post, hahah.

I will handle setting up the prompt for requirements, you just submit the race.

Excellent, I'll look through your recent posts and submit it once I figure out how to do it!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Kind of a crunchy modding question, but does anyone know how to make a section template (i.e., the sections of a ship) require two weapon tech lines?

What I mean is, it's easy to make it require (say) point defense or torpedoes. For the first:

prerequisites = { tech_pd_tracking_1 tech_pd_tracking_2 tech_pd_tracking_3 }

And for the second:

prerequisites = { tech_torpedoes_1 tech_torpedoes_2 tech_torpedoes_3 tech_energy_torpedoes_1 tech_energy_torpedoes_2 }

Each of these implicitly treats the items on the list as connected by an "or," in the sense that you only need one of the listed techs. So if I combined the lists for a section like this:

prerequisites = { tech_torpedoes_1 tech_torpedoes_2 tech_torpedoes_3 tech_energy_torpedoes_1 tech_energy_torpedoes_2 tech_pd_tracking_1 tech_pd_tracking_2 tech_pd_tracking_3 }

The section would be selectable if you have any PD or torpedoes. But it's not clear how to make the section only selectable if you have both a PD tech and a torpedo tech. I'm going to try this:

prerequisites = { tech_torpedoes_1 tech_torpedoes_2 tech_torpedoes_3 tech_energy_torpedoes_1 tech_energy_torpedoes_2 }
prerequisites = { tech_pd_tracking_1 tech_pd_tracking_2 tech_pd_tracking_3 }

If this fails, then hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about and can tell me how do do this. :v:

eta: This didn't work but I'm not sure if it's because I got a torpedo tech first or whether either would work. I suspect the game only evaluates one prerequisite statement.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 19, 2017

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
As far as eating pops go, don't forget numbers aren't final. Seems pretty powerful now, but I wouldn't be surprised if it got nerfed a bit or required a 'carnivore' trait or something.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I want a Blorg body pillow and a ton of drugs.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Fintilgin posted:

As far as eating pops go, don't forget numbers aren't final. Seems pretty powerful now, but I wouldn't be surprised if it got nerfed a bit or required a 'carnivore' trait or something.

That's what the fungoids and plantoids are there for :v:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Oh hey, heads up with the required items for the goon pack mod: The British and American namesets are packaged into their respective standalone portrait mods now, so you don't need the separate nameset mods if you got the standalones anyways.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Fintilgin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHNy5diaoKI

click that one it's actually kinda relevant

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

Horrifying implications aside, having a nerve stapled army would be fun just for the gravitas of empire. Though until land combat is overhauled, It would probably still be cheaper to spam the basic armies than maintain a bunch of drooling death zombies if you're financially obsessive and not concerned with aesthetics.

Coolguye posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHNy5diaoKI

click that one it's actually kinda relevant

If they come from the fiery centre of the earth, why do they squirt?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Heartcatch posted:

If they come from the fiery centre of the earth, why do they squirt?
Releasing the pressure caused by the water in their bodies boiling.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
Good news for you guys, xenomorph armies are already in game.

And it doesn't take any special ability to eat sentient meat or vegetables. It just takes hunger.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I had a planet with stone age primitives on it, and I picked the one that lets them roam (relatively) free. Then I found some terraforming equipment and kicked it off, which wiped all the tile blockers... including the primitives. Except it still has the primitives tag. I guess they're hiding?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

The terraforming equipment swept them into subterranean reservations. The best terraforming.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
All right so, I'm reaching what I guess is the mid point for the first time here. I went with a Megacorp type of civilization, and it seems to have worked well. I'm wondering now where to expand from here on out.

I'm the New Worlds Conglomerate

(with wormholes range this time)

I'm the second member of a federation with voting rights, but clearly it's biggest member. Most of my neighbors are also associates. I have one vassal. Now, where to from here? I have three types of races in my nation so far that allows me to colonize what ever type of planet I want. I seem to also have the ethics divergence under control. There is some empty space up north and west that seems up for grab. There is also a small empire to the west of the galaxy that is completely isolated from the others, which I'm thinking of vassalizing. The rest of the galaxy is part of a smaller, opposing federation. Tech research also seems to have slowed down which has me worried I'm expanding too much, despite being of a similar size as before. Not sure how that works out.

I've never had a real opponent so far in term of fleet size so I'm wary of being blind to a weakness in it. Mostly right now it's composed of about a hundred corvettes with Mass Drivers IV, then about 20 destroyers, 10 cruisers and soon 10 Battleships, the two latest classes being the ones with shields. I've also just had the tech for fighters and bombers pop up, which makes me excited for carrier classes. Are they worth it?

Anyway any tips would be appreciated. It's an ironman game that's going really well so far. I'm just hoping that it's not going to go to poo poo with end game events too soon, as I feel completely under prepared. And as we know with paradox games, if you get a 6-6-6- king, he'll last two months.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Any leviathans or fallen empires to beat up? Can you research any dangerous techs to try to get a crisis going?

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

I'm confused! According to the 'species' screen, I have "3 pops [of Cithin] on 0 planets." Certainly seems to be true that they aren't on any of my planets - but in that case where are they? They're pre-sentient anyway, and their homeworld is in my neighbour's system. I need them to use as colonisers, so if there's any way of locating them it would be good.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Pipski posted:

I'm confused! According to the 'species' screen, I have "3 pops [of Cithin] on 0 planets." Certainly seems to be true that they aren't on any of my planets - but in that case where are they? They're pre-sentient anyway, and their homeworld is in my neighbour's system. I need them to use as colonisers, so if there's any way of locating them it would be good.

You don't have the presentients in your empire, sometimes the species screen just likes to tell you about them. Not sure what the deal with that is.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Freudian posted:

You don't have the presentients in your empire, sometimes the species screen just likes to tell you about them. Not sure what the deal with that is.

Oh. Fair enough. Odd though - it's flagging 'arid' planets as green for colonisation now, and that's the only species listed (within my empire) as able to colonise them. Oh well, can't be helped I suppose. e; Thanks!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My binary system is a big old pair of blue giants right now over Utopia to the point that I'm just forcing my self to play, and I'm enjoying it by actually trying to play different ethos and races than I usually do. What ever this game is still fun, specially the early game.

Does anyone know what exactly some of these new buildings do? Like a loop institute or what ever? I could see the tool-tips in the videos but I'm curious if they are ethos or government or tech specific buildings and what's special about them.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Baronjutter posted:

Does anyone know what exactly some of these new buildings do? Like a loop institute or what ever? I could see the tool-tips in the videos but I'm curious if they are ethos or government or tech specific buildings and what's special about them.

Horizon Signal event chain driven buildings. To say more would spoil the events.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Oh I should check that poo poo out then, that's the thing Wiz did to turn his peaceful people into militaristic squidmens in the stream? A very poor choice. Never trust the stream wiz...

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

Always trust the worm wiz...

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Pipski posted:

Check all the planets in your territory that you have not colonised. They're probably chilling on one of them being all dumb and non-sapient at you.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

GunnerJ posted:

Any leviathans or fallen empires to beat up? Can you research any dangerous techs to try to get a crisis going?

I'm not sure. Can you really beat up fallen empires at the mid point? What fleet power should I have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

StarMinstrel posted:

I'm not sure. Can you really beat up fallen empires at the mid point? What fleet power should I have?

You can generally take them on with fleet power between like (iirc) 20K and 40K depending on how well you've specced your fleet. If you're not there yet, it's a thing to work towards.

eta: Actually now I remember some FEs having like 70k fleets so I'm not totally sure when the right "ready" time is.

• Locked thread