Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
So when they say shares gear with mnk does it mean for everything going forward 60-70 or just current gear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Ishin posted:

So when they say shares gear with mnk does it mean for everything going forward 60-70 or just current gear?

It should mean everything except the AF3 set, same as how tanks work.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
When Heavensward came out, the Paladins in my FC switched to Dark Knight or DPS classes. The White Mages switched to Astrologian or DPS classes. The Warriors and Scholars continued with their existing classes, and DPS players stayed with DPS classes. In short, I wouldn't expect many DPS players to switch to a new tank or healer.

Levelling Red Mages and Samurai might have a bit slower time, because their queues might be not be helped by a flux of 50 tanks/healers. However, POTD exists for that 50-60 group. Late game though, I don't think the queues will be affected.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

When Heavensward came out, the Paladins in my FC switched to Dark Knight or DPS classes. The White Mages switched to Astrologian or DPS classes. The Warriors and Scholars continued with their existing classes, and DPS players stayed with DPS classes. In short, I wouldn't expect many DPS players to switch to a new tank or healer.

Yoshi actually mentioned that this was exactly the case. The majority of DRKs and ASTs were being played by people who already played tanks or healers.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I'm doing a relic for the hell of it. Is gathering the way to go for the crystal sand stage?

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
so is RDM or SAM the new lolDRG? i need to know

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Saigyouji posted:

Yoshi actually mentioned that this was exactly the case. The majority of DRKs and ASTs were being played by people who already played tanks or healers.

Okay but you're missing the point here where, in the first post here, Orcs and Ostriches points out that Tanks and Healers are leaving to play DPS classes, and assuming that adding in two super wanted jobs to the DPS group at the exact same time will behave the same way as Tanks and Healers.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Kuvo posted:

RDM is the new lolDRG. SAM is Like MNK, But Better.

Mr. Leonheart
Oct 14, 2007

All I know is that to me
You look like you're havin' fun

Kuvo posted:

Only time will tell, but I'd put money on SAM

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Kuvo posted:

RDM has positional tools they can use to gently caress themselves, but so many bad players will be attracted to SAM for cool factor. I'm going to guess we'll see more bad SAMs, especially in 4.0.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It's gonna be SAM because the weeabo is strong in this fanbase.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
I'm still not super thrilled about Samurai because I feel like Blue Mage with a focus on dreadwyrm trance style mechanics would have been a more interesting mechanical space to work with, or a tank or healer with a legitimately different approach (evasion based Dancer tank, for example). Still, kudos for style, those animations are slick and the mechanics sound ok if not exactly inspired. They're basically a MNK who builds up to bursts instead of a constant stream of damage. I guess maybe think of them like a cross between MNK and WAR? They'll probably get a lot less boned by boss jumps due to their burst nature.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

nuru posted:

I'm doing a relic for the hell of it. Is gathering the way to go for the crystal sand stage?

I can personally say that if you are capable of getting red/blue scrips consistently then it is a very lucrative and chill way to get crystal sands.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

CeallaSo posted:

RDM is the new lolDRG. SAM is Like MNK, But Better.

MNK's fix is going to be that SAM is an OP DPS and uses MNK gear, isn't it... :eng99:

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
I don't see an evasion tank ever being added to the game, because as far as class design goes, they're inevitably a balancing nightmare.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
Will those who pre-ordered the physical CE from the SE store get the code so they can participate in early access?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Note Block posted:

Will those who pre-ordered the physical CE from the SE store get the code so they can participate in early access?

That's how it worked last time, so yes, you should.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

You didn't even know samurai was a thing until a couple hours ago and you're already convinced monk is hosed because of them, dude. That's not reasonable at all.

Things we knew before today:
- Monk isn't preferred in 3.5X era content despite being a good job because other classes offer greater raid utility and benefit from said utility of others where Monk does not. They need work to help bridge the gap of undesirability they have in Stormblood. They're not PLD and WHM level behind but they're not where they should be.

Things we know today:
- Samurai is a class that has a stated similar overall design goal in terms of how it performs its DPS, requiring a build up to its peak DPS output, will share its gear with Monk and outside of some weird logic saying they deal blunt damage instead of slashing, will synergise better with existing party setups vulnerability up debuffs. Their focus on high burst is a very desirable trait all around, especially when paired with a Ninja if Samurai is slashing and is something Monk doesn't provide which means that Monk is going to require more significant work to its existing toolset with its new tools to make it desirable than previously thought, with some knowledge of how Samurai is going to fit into party setups. All of these things combined don't make me especially hopeful for Monk in 4.0 because a lot of things are stacked against it currently and Samurai's stated design goals compound those problems based on current knowledge. In turn, it's also going to be very interesting to see what Monk gets to level its playing field.

Your interpretation of this:
"Wow he's saying Monk is hosed"
Bizarre. Not hopeful ≠ utterly hosed, it means "not hopeful".

The alternative is to never discuss it, which is equally odd, because discussion harms nothing.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hopefully they'll be getting rid of damage type debuffs, or restructuring them in some way, because we now have 6 classes that do slashing damage, 3 that do piercing, and 1 that does blunt. Red mage might be piercing, but it's still pretty poorly distributed.

I think there's a pretty good chance that monk will get some better raid utility, and if they don't then the devs are idiots.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 18, 2017

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I hit level 60 on my first DPS class, Monk and I kind of hate it now because I'm frustrated trying to wrap my head around this maximising dps concept. I want to try tank next, Warrior I guess and hope they can explain mecanics better

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Josuke Higashikata posted:

- Monk isn't preferred in 3.5X era content despite being a good job because other classes offer greater raid utility and benefit from said utility of others where Monk does not. They need work to help bridge the gap of undesirability they have in Stormblood. They're not PLD and WHM level behind but they're not where they should be.

Things we know today:
- Samurai is a class that has a stated similar overall design goal in terms of how it performs its DPS, requiring a build up to its peak DPS output, will share its gear with Monk and outside of some weird logic saying they deal blunt damage instead of slashing, will synergise better with existing party setups vulnerability up debuffs. Their focus on high burst is a very desirable trait all around, especially when paired with a Ninja if Samurai is slashing and is something Monk doesn't provide which means that Monk is going to require more significant work to its existing toolset with its new tools to make it desirable than previously thought, with some knowledge of how Samurai is going to fit into party setups. All of these things combined don't make me especially hopeful for Monk in 4.0 because a lot of things are stacked against it currently and Samurai's stated design goals compound those problems based on current knowledge. In turn, it's also going to be very interesting to see what Monk gets to level its playing field.

The alternative is to never discuss it, which is equally odd, because discussion harms nothing.
alternatively: you don't need to min-max to clear the hardest content so who cares??

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Dukka posted:

alternatively: you don't need to min-max to clear the hardest content so who cares??

lots of people, and there's definitely trickle down elitism. probably like .5 percent of the player base do difficult content that needs min-maxing in the period of time where it still requires min-maxing, that doesn't stop people from being smug.

i don't know that I'll stop maining Warrior, depending on the changes they get, and I understand that relatively few people switched roles in HW (even though it got me playing AST also), you're still definitely going to be losing tanks and healers. and why shouldn't they switch? they bought the expansion, and the classes are a big part of that.

you can't keep adding in new exciting poo poo and expect people to play the same stuff they've been playing since 2013 or whatever, especially if you nerf Warrior, probably the biggest tank draw.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

SettingSun posted:

I can personally say that if you are capable of getting red/blue scrips consistently then it is a very lucrative and chill way to get crystal sands.

I need to research more, can one get both the items needed to make the stat catalyst entirely from gathering scrip?

Also, my gathering gear is still the melded hq white stuff from release with the red scrip mainhands. Maybe I should upgrade?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Things we know today:

Because there is nothing to discuss. We've seen a basic 1-2-3 combo and some sort of charge up move and that's it. We have literally nothing to indicate that it's going to play similarly to monk beyond the same base similarities shared across all melee dps. All Yoshi P said about the class is that it would charge up some meter and then use this meter to burst, which is literally not anything like monk who wants to get to GL3 as quickly as possible and then stay there in that heightened dps state.

Further, speculating on how this will compare to monk is absurd because you are using the current state of monk which may have little to no bearing to the job once we get to stormblood. Abilities are going to be cut and new abilities are going to be added so speculation based on current conditions is ultimately baseless.

Even further than that, nobody loving cares what you play, they care if you are good and not a lovely person to play with because the class imbalances in this game are vastly overstated by a handful of turbonerds.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

additionally, a heavy withholding of detailed content and system information has been the norm for years with the exception of them rebuilding faith for the 2.0 relaunch

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Hello thread. How are you?

I was thinking I'd level some jobs so i could see if Yoship could make me fall in love again. Was thinking i should finish SMN and DRG and then roll a dice on which tank might be good in Blood. Currently have PLD and DRK, any friendly advice?

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm kinda hoping class rebalance means every class becomes amazing at 70.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

jyrque posted:

Hopefully it means every class is amazing 1-70, and isn't just focused on the endgame.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I hope they do the WoW thing where players start getting access to moves similar to what old raid bosses used since we're just that badass now.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Lemon-Lime posted:

Hopefully it means every class is amazing 1-70, and isn't just focused on the endgame.

Or at least 15-70. Save me from low level pirate hell YoshiP

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

I've been a monk main since forever and I didn't get the impression "OMG MONK IS DOOMED!11!1" at all. I think that's a really silly overreaction. My reaction was, "hey I can keep playing the thing I really like to play and now I'll have a job that I can also easily play cause it'll share gear. That's pretty cool. Hopefully I will find Samurai fun, too."

There's obviously a huge amount of information we don't have yet, especially with regards to raid buff/debuff synergy and how they're going to manage having 9 DPS jobs for 4 DPS raid slots without more idiot memes like "delete mnk lmao" cropping up within the first month of the expansion.

jyrque posted:

I hope all the jobs get new things and adjustments that make them cooler and more fun to play, too.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

jyrque posted:

I just want buttons to go away for some classes. Compare the complexity of the Warrior dps rotation with say, Machinist.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Things we know today:

You're really insufferable.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

nuru posted:

I just want buttons to go away for some classes. Compare the complexity of the Warrior dps rotation with say, Machinist.

I think it's fine for some classes to be more complex than others as long as there are ample basic options. Every class is going to lose buttons but we're also getting a bunch of new toys so I don't expect for anyone to have notably fewer buttons after 4.0

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

I'm wondering about some of these characters.

At the top we've got Yda (or Yda's Sister). To the right of them is ???
Second row is samurai man and black hair woman - neither of which we know?
Third row is Zenos and Warrior of Light.
Fourth row is samurai roe from trailer (named something like Gosetsu), Yugiri, and Rabauhn.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I'm really bad at understanding these trailers. I watched the whole thing and thought the lady in red was a dancer, the hobo guy was some sort of mystery punching class, and the guy at the end was the red mage. But apparently the whole thing was just showing Samurais?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Punch man was a chemist. He drank his concoction that made him punch hard, and he's tanking the dancer.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Stallion Cabana posted:

Okay but you're missing the point here where, in the first post here, Orcs and Ostriches points out that Tanks and Healers are leaving to play DPS classes, and assuming that adding in two super wanted jobs to the DPS group at the exact same time will behave the same way as Tanks and Healers.

That's inevitable. People want to try the shiny new things. But data shows that in the long-term, people who already tank or heal will continue to do so. In the short term, oh noooooooo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I am looking forward to punching Garleans in 4.0

• Locked thread