Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If Symphonia is the first Tales you play you'll have a fine impression of it. It's the fact that it has been mechanically improved on in later games that makes it look worse in retrospect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

As somebody who played Symphonia when it was new on the Gamecube and hasn't really played any other Tales games, I found Symphonia to be Okay. Not bad, not great.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sakurazuka posted:

Like many much beloved games it is so because people played it when they were 13
I played P2 for the first time ever when I was 24 and it remained my favorite Atlus title up until P4G game out. It's fine!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

NikkolasKing posted:

That's why I'm thinking of playing Symphonia. I bought it, it's much beloved, I should probably get through it.

just play an atelier game or something

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

just play an atelier game or something

I don't own any of those. They don't sound like they're really my type of game anyway. I'm not saying I'd hate them but they're a low priority.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Do not play atelier games if you expect plot to be progression. You are basically playing Friends: the RPG in meandering with a sudden sub-plot that makes everything important for most of those games.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

well if you want plot progression dont play loving tales of symphonia then

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I feel that Symphonia is hurt by the fact that you are playing as a class of kindergarteners who for some reason have swords.

And Persona 2 is as mediocre as they come, with dreadful dungeon designs.

DEAR_WIKI_KATH
Feb 18, 2017

by Smythe
Removed

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

yes, quite

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
What's your favorite RPG, Dare?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Finally got to read one of those crazy post before it gets edited.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dare to be Stupid

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Hell, same.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAOR6ib95kQ

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Electric Phantasm posted:

Finally got to read one of those crazy post before it gets edited.

Me too! I haven't a clue what it meant though.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Dude the election is over, stop campaigning

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tales of symphonia is alright but i wouldn't expect much, even playing it as my first tales game it wore on me pretty bad after a while and i never felt much of an urge to go back and finish it and i'm not planning on doing it in the future until i've gone through pretty much every other tales game i can. the main plot being kind of bad wouldn't be an issue but it kind of has one of the least interesting casts in the series overall

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Even Phantasia is better

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
phantasia x definitely is, but i'd hesitate to say that about any of the other releases cause the combat just gets too drat slow. definitely has a way more endearing party though

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This forum has had a dislike for Symphonia for as long as I can recall. I dunno why. Then again, I guess I can't say why people elsewhee like it so much, either.

Not that it matters 'cuz I tried playing some more of it and got bored. I'll have to find something else to entertain me for a couple weeks. Should just play P4G again. It's probably the best game I have anyway.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Some people here dislike this game that I also don't like. I just wish I could figure out why!!!!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

This forum has had a dislike for Symphonia for as long as I can recall. I dunno why. Then again, I guess I can't say why people elsewhee like it so much, either.

Not that it matters 'cuz I tried playing some more of it and got bored. I'll have to find something else to entertain me for a couple weeks. Should just play P4G again. It's probably the best game I have anyway.

But why does the forum not like it???

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
people like symphonia a lot cause it was pretty much the only big jrpg on the gamecube, it was the first 3d tales game and it was the first tales game to have any amount of presence in the west

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

corn in the bible posted:

But why does the forum not like it???
It will forever remain a mystery, I guess!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Wendell posted:

Some people here dislike this game that I also don't like. I just wish I could figure out why!!!!

I just didn't like the combat. Characters and story seemed okay enough but if this is anything like most JRPGs, thre's gonna be a lot of combat and I can't see myself doing this thousands upon thousands more times.

I have heard a lot of praise for Symphonia's story and characters though which is why I wanted to play it. I was merely commenting on how you can get two entirely different impressions of a thing depending on who you ask. I know it seems obvious but I value the opinions of other people a lot so it can be very confusing to me to hear "this is amazing!" immediately followed by "this is absolute dog poo poo!"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Because no one can be objective about its quality. Either you liked it because it was your introduction to Tales games on the Gamecube or you don't because you've played one of the six sequels that're better and now realize that Symphonia is trash garbage for idiots and you'd be better off playing Time and Eternity instead.

NikkolasKing posted:

I know it seems obvious but I value the opinions of other people a lot so it can be very confusing to me to hear "this is amazing!" immediately followed by "this is absolute dog poo poo!"

*cough Gone Home.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 18, 2017

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

RareAcumen posted:

Because no one can be objective about its quality. Either you liked it because it was your introduction to Tales games on the Gamecube
Or you can be me and I think part of the reason I haven't really investigated the Tales series much is because Symphonia was my introduction.

(the only other one I can remember playing had voice clips for every individual punch in fast-paced combat system and I just loving took it back to Gamestop after my first fight. Probably didn't help either.)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Japan loves having voice clips for each and every single action when they should really stop in the year 2017

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
We've had literally this exact same discussion multiple times. Each of them galvanized by NikkolasKing, even

The central misunderstanding is that goons say "it doesn't hold up to scrutiny re: the hype" about a beloved thing and NK parses this response as "it's horrible dogshit nobody should ever like"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

RareAcumen posted:

Because no one can be objective about its quality. Either you liked it because it was your introduction to Tales games on the Gamecube or you don't because you've played one of the six sequels that're better and now realize that Symphonia is trash garbage for idiots and you'd be better off playing Time and Eternity instead.

*cough Gone Home.

Let's not say things we can't take back

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Zereth posted:

Or you can be me and I think part of the reason I haven't really investigated the Tales series much is because Symphonia was my introduction.

(the only other one I can remember playing had voice clips for every individual punch in fast-paced combat system and I just loving took it back to Gamestop after my first fight. Probably didn't help either.)

Unless it's an old beat-em-up or Dust an Elysian Tale, I can't think of any game that doesn't have sound effects for melee attacks.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tales of legendia wouldn't be my first choice for judging the tales series in general lol, the game where they brought in a totally different composer who decided there was no reason to copy the series composer's style because it was barely a regular tales game

unless xillia does it for its punchman too, it's been a couple months since i played it

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
My introduction to the Tales series was Legendia and its frankly amazing I ever played another.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Symphonia is trash garbage for idiots and you'd be better off playing Time and Eternity instead.

no

I'm never playing Symphonia again because it's an 80 hour JRPG with a battle system that doesn't give you a lot to do, but this is dumb and wrong to say

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tales of legendia is a really great video game soundtrack

it's a shame the only other tales game that composer did work on that wasn't guest work on an untranslated side game was zestiria, and berseria only borrows a few of his tracks. thankfully it borrows one of the best character themes

go shiina composed a song for a single menu in a cross over visual novel game and it was a better song than most of sakuraba's work across the entire series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uDUYihhD5M

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

I just didn't like the combat. Characters and story seemed okay enough but if this is anything like most JRPGs, thre's gonna be a lot of combat and I can't see myself doing this thousands upon thousands more times.

I have heard a lot of praise for Symphonia's story and characters though which is why I wanted to play it. I was merely commenting on how you can get two entirely different impressions of a thing depending on who you ask. I know it seems obvious but I value the opinions of other people a lot so it can be very confusing to me to hear "this is amazing!" immediately followed by "this is absolute dog poo poo!"

people have different opinions on things wow

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tae posted:

Japan loves having voice clips for each and every single action when they should really stop in the year 2017

Actually yelling out attacks non-stop is extremely my poo poo and I love that about Tales/SO/Xenoblade.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tales of berseria would be a slightly less good game if velvet didn't have a super time-stopping attack where she yells "LETHAL PAIN"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Seriously, I'm trying to think of a game with non-gun combat that doesn't have people grunting or making a sound of some kind and I'm drawing a blank.