Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

aphid_licker posted:

slightly less NONFINAL ORDERS, feedback welcome

My first two runners go to

76bde and 77bde

76bde:
Advance into a line parallel to the Nainville-Baguette road that is no farther east than the eastern border of Ferme de Beurre. Keep your right on Baguette's NW corner.

77bde:
Move into position on 76bde's left flank in a north-southerly orientation, ie partially up onto Pasteur Ridge.

Then I move my HQ to StC.

Then I send the third runner, once it becomes available, to 78bde, which is to take up position between StC and Baguette.

7th Jäger will have to do without orders for the time being

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Preliminary Orders

In the unlikely event that any of us are still alive, fall back and regroup north of St. Croissant. Artillery and MGs are to be in a position to support the new defensive line of 43d Division.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

HEY GAIL posted:

ideas:
circled machine guns, start firing asap
ikasuhito is, i guess, doomed

The fate of those MGs is in their own guns. They are mine, and I can't get to them in time.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

steinrokkan posted:

The fate of those MGs is in their own guns. They are mine, and I can't get to them in time.
i'm imagining you wandering the halls of your commandeered chateau mourning "give me back my machine guns" like Augustus

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Tevery Best posted:

I'm afraid we will have to ask for them, then. If they have a spare division lying around, I'd gladly borrow it for a few hours.

The General listens in silence to your explanation of the situation, and then launches into a long discourse about the need to protect one's flanks. You listen patiently.

You require a lot of patience.

At length, he subsides. "Very well", he says. "I shall have the reserves sent to you immediately, and begin moving more in your direction. Fortunately, V Corps was more successful than you have been so far. Look after them.

Soon thereafter, his chief of staff contacts you with some details...

You may request infantry-biased, artillery-biased, or cavalry reinforcements. You may request 1 or 2 brigades. The reinforcements are Veteran units. They must be assigned commanders, but other players can double up with them. They must be assigned to an on-board division. They may enter on Turn 8 from any part of the map indicated as belonging to you on the telephone diagram:

Choose wisely.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

So, 1 or 2? I assume asking for only one gives us more arbitrary Victory Points or whatever, but I'm pretty sure we need more guns on the line, and now.

Assuming 2, just 2 infantry brigades coming from the NE corner? I can see the devious potential of a cavalry brigade entering from the NW and running down to Q for the win if we think we can hold the line long enough.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

aphid_licker posted:

e: heavy guns can't move without limbering so that's bad
afaik we are all still limbered up

e

like this but fewer english people

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Feb 18, 2017

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Didn't we already outgun them? One infantry to shore up the line, and one cav to help the cyclists take outrepoodle(sp).

Trin, can I split up my cyclists from the infantry and MG in my batallion? I can't, can I?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

HEY GAIL posted:

afaik we are all still limbered up

like this but fewer english people

Thank Gott for small mercies

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Feb 18, 2017

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, I'd also say infantry would be most effective here. We mostly need bodies to shove into the line to help stabilise the whole thing and prevent a breakthrough. Some cav in addition to that for sweet flanking could come in nice, but might be more of a gimmick at this stage.

Also somebody make sure to piss in that general's wine for that terrible bit of non-intelligence about the French coming in from the south.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, I'd also say infantry would be most effective here. We mostly need bodies to shove into the line to help stabilise the whole thing and prevent a breakthrough. Some cav in addition to that for sweet flanking could come in nice, but might be more of a gimmick at this stage.

Also somebody make sure to piss in that general's wine for that terrible bit of non-intelligence about the French coming in from the south.

Feeling a lil defeatist because my first impulse is "let's not drag more innocent fellow Pixelmans down with us"

We could have them come in line abreast facing south between Bouclecourt and Forêt de Vieux? Or is it not possible to have them enter the map in battle order?

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Im pretty sure Trin mentioned they can, yes.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Yeah, my instinct is to either send them in around Paradise to shore up the line there and maintain our lines of communication, or one around there and one at the northern edge of the railroad.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

How's this?

quote:

:siren: ORDERS, 43D :siren:

The Kaiser has suffered a setback. Remaining calm is our patriotic duty.

My first two runners go to

76bde and 77bde asap

76bde:
Advance into an eastwards-facing (sic) line parallel to the St Croissant-Nainville road that is no farther east than the eastern border of Ferme de Beurre. Center your line on Ferme de Beurre.

77bde:
Move into position in the described line on 76bde's left flank. Center your line on Pasteur ridge.

I send the third runner, once it becomes available, to
78bde, which is to take up position between StC and Ferme de Beurre, closing the gap between 76bde and 79bde. 79bde is exposed on its left, so be sure to deploy far enough forward to protect their flank.

Then I move my HQ to StC.

7th Jäger will have to do without orders for the time being and my thoughts are with them.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Jägers will probably be fine, they're going to dig in at the end of their assigned objective.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Alright! Trin, do we have any sensible information as to when that third runner would become available? Should I just put in my adjusted orders with this batch, or would there be another break by the time that runner arrives?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I've updated the location of 19th div infantry bdes in roll20, together with my best guesses on whose artillery is where. In doing so, I saw a few things that not everyone may realize:

- The majority of Covski's bde is alive. Even the majority of Nastytoes' troops are alive. Doomed, ofc, but alive, and that means that they'll cause french casualties.
- the majority of 19th's artillery are in place and ready to fire. The french arty is out of range, so they'll lose more infantry to the cannon and machine guns. I count 8 guns near beurre farm that didn't move last turn and are in range of the enemy, although some might still be moving. This also means that to advance any further, the french have to fight through a whole bunch of guns and it will be several turns before they can counter fire.

- Near st C, we have 3 brigades v. 4, but one of ours is defending, which means they fire first. I think our combined forces there will exact a big toll on them, wiping out anything within rifle range of the city. The follow up brigade will probably be bloodied as well if it advances.

So I think essentially by 1100 that we'll lose four brigades to their two. Given we should have an advantage because we're defending, that should be enough to defend our gains until reinforcements arrive.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Jaguars! posted:

- The majority of Covski's bde is alive. Even the majority of Nastytoes' troops are alive. Doomed, ofc, but alive, and that means that they'll cause french casualties.
are they breaking? if so, can we reform them?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Call in two inf brigades, assign them to 43rd Division command

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Tevery Best posted:

Call in two inf brigades, assign them to 43rd Division command

Very good. Someone now needs to give them orders.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Sure I'll step in for one, when do you need orders by?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

If you can get them in in the next few hours, and the other brigade gets ordered, and steinrokkan tells me what he wants to do (if anything) with his runners in the next two turns, I'll run two turns tonight. Otherwise, you've got until Monday.

edit: if I don't get all of those things :siren: by 8pm tonight, which is in four hours, it's too late for me to start doing anything, I've got somewhere to be tomorrow.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 18, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Be sure to give these poor guys order to deploy into battle line first thing. Does someone have a better idea for using them other than the uninspired choice of having them come in line abreast facing south between Bouclecourt and Forêt de Vieux and have them extend HEGEL's line?

I will go offline for partaying purposes 80 minutes from now.

e: do we need something on the Western flank or is them walking a bde around St Croissant unlikely?

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 18, 2017

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Koolkevz666, Taishi Ci, Ghetto Prince: You are in line for promotion to a command position and there is 1 brigade awaiting command in the 43rd Division. First to report to the Generalleutnant aphid_licker's command post will be assigned!

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 18, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Official History of 43rd Division in the Great War

It was at this tense moment, with the fate of III Corps hanging precariously in the balance, that Adalbert von Lauslecker (pictured below) chose to retire to the yard of the Bouclecourt village teacher's house with his comfy robe and pipe for some cacti and chill.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
All right, guys. We have two plans for what to do with our two spare reserve brigades (once we get one more commander, that is).

Plan A: act conservatively. Put them on the fast track to Pasteur Ridge to protect our northern flank, cover the withdrawal of aphid_licker's hq, and deny the French entry onto the ridge. This strategy is purely defensive and relies on the hope that we can defend against a French push effectively around STC, where we are the most concentrated. The drawback is that it's not a sure thing and it relies on the enemy blundering face first into us. It also does nothing to really pull 19th out of the fire.

Plan B: put them around Nainville and get them to attack the French brigades there. This would allow steinrokkan to issue orders - the runners would probably be able to pass around the French unscathed as the enemy infantry would target our troops first. Possibly we could also hope that the French continue to push on and get caught in the crossfire. If this works ideally, we will be able to salvage some of 19th Division's brigades, potentially extricate steinrokkan's HQ from the mess it's in, but probably lose the two brigades fairly soon (they are veterans, so there's a fair chance they will fight to the last rather than break - on the other hand, they have no artillery other than a trench mortar).

Give me your thoughts. Now.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
So, Teveryy, would you rather that I stay at Nainville, or retreat? Paradise looks like it can be salvageable.

I'm probably going to keep the runners with me for now in case somebody survives, so I can give them orders that actually matter. Right now the only thing I could do is tell Ikasuhito not to charge, but by the time I reach him, he's gonna be in combat.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 18, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I know I advised against counterattacking, but the second option seems like the right balance to me. My money is on the French seeing our flank collapse and rushing to take advantage of it - if I were on their side I'd be charging as many brigades as I could up the side to try and collapse us entirely. As long as HEGEL and I can get set up in our defensive lines, another infantry brigade appearing by Nainville would catch any French thrust in a nasty crossfire.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

steinrokkan posted:

So, Teveryy, would you rather that I stay at Nainville, or retreat? Paradise looks like it can be salvageable.

I'm probably going to keep the runners with me for now in case somebody survives, so I can give them orders that actually matter. Right now the only thing I could do is tell Ikasuhito not to charge, but by the time I reach him, he's gonna be in combat.

Definitely retreat as soon as you can safely hide among the new brigades. They'll draw the enemy fire off and let you just run like hell towards Paradise. Also I'd at least try to dispatch at least one runner - you'll need a couple turns to get back in communications and issue new orders.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I will accept orders for the second reserve brigade from a player already in the game if nobody's going to stick their hand up and say "me, sir".

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

1st reserve Bde

-Enter the map as shown and in the formation shown. (TM should be 2'' from the other chits to allow it to shoot over.)
-Advance to the position shown in the map above firing at any targets that preset themselves
-If the advance would place us into contact or within 3'' of enemy forces or cause a charge then halt and begin firing.
-If the enemy is spotted north of Foret di Vieux, in the forest or north of a line running East-West through the center of the forest. halt and begin firing at the spotted targets. IF they are not in range advance towards them but stay out of range of artillery on the hill south of Nainville.
-If the MG's move into range of the enemy they should halt and begin firing, if no targets in range they should attempt to move back into formation

Standing orders:
-When sighting an enemy in attack stance, keep moving along original path
-When attacking the enemy, use rifle fire
-When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed, do not pursue
-Break off automatically at 2/3 casualties

Saros fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 18, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Division order - HQ
Halt all present messengers from running away from the HQ unless specified in my orders. Once any friendly units are visible NW of my position, evacuate to Bouclecourt ASAP. Upon reaching Bouclecourt, release all brigade runners left attached to update brigadiers on my position. Order brigadiers to send them back with new information REGARDLESS of their status at the time of receiving the messengers.
If I can't see outside town from my current spot, move to the outskirts along the N-E edge of Nainville, an hour or so from now.

Division runners
Send a runner to Ikasuhito's brigade in an attempt to give him a chance to regroup. Relay orders: "You are allowed to disengage and retreat to a position N-W of your current spot, behind any friendlies you can see." Update him on any enemy as well as friendly positions he is unaware of. I trust the runner will try to avoid known enemies on his own.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 18, 2017

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

2nd Reserve BDE

Right, since time is pressing, here are some provisional orders for the 2nd Reserve Brigade. I'd be obliged if anybody else could take them over after this one.

The Brigade will enter in Marching Order, and follow the road up to Pasteur Ridge for one turn, which should put it about at the edge the ridge. From there it will switch into Battle Order and wheel around to straddle the ridge northeast to southwest. Then it will advance in good order along the ridge until its indicated final position. Individual companies should avoid going up/down elevations during this move to ensure the best possible speed. Once at the final position, the brigade will switch to Defense stance and request further orders.

Under no circumstances is the Brigade to move into the range of the french artillery battery to the southeast, and will stop their movement early if need be to avoid that. Any friendly artillery met near or on the final position should ideally be shuffled behind their line.

Desired final positions:

The Battle Order to be used for the advance is virtually identical with the final positioning:

Standing Oders
When sighting an enemy in attack stance, keep moving along original path
When attacking the enemy, use rifle fire
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed, do not pursue
Break off automatically at 3/4 casualties

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 18, 2017

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Both sides have given orders and agreed to run an extra two turns tonight.

:siren: Adjudication pending...

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Oh god marching order, didn't we learn anything?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Saros posted:

Oh god marching order, didn't we learn anything?

Just for a single turn, at the very back of the map. If they encounter meaningful resistance that far back, we're hosed no matter what. :v:

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 18, 2017

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

We have improved our marching techniques with the latest developments!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsgoSh5dpyg

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Perestroika posted:

Just for a single turn, at the very back of the map. If they encounter meaningful resistance that far back, we're hosed no matter what. :v:

Marching orders for that short a period of time are counterproductive because attaining battle formation will waste more time than you saved marching.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I advise getting a stiff drink before reading this. You may need it.

Turn 8: 1000
German initiative

Here's something to steel the heart of a Prussian. Your guns have finally unfucked themselves.

The remnants of the 13th hear their commanders bellowing at them to stop, and stop. The 15th does no such thing, charging boldly towards the Bois de Baguette to meet the enemy!

The Jaeger Battalion begins digging a trench, and unfolds deckchairs.

As the 76th and 77th adopt Battle Order to march west of St Croissant, runners come screeching up to them with orders to belay that movement immediately. They shuffle around trying to avoid masking their own guns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9eV4CsF66g

You know, if you consider that you have four brigades at this point who haven't fired a shot in anger yet, things aren't looking so bad...

And then your guns open fire en masse, and nobody hears anything for quite a while.

The enemy gun line tries to return the favour.

Your machine guns answer them.

Pow!

Biff!

Crunch! The men's rifles take their toll as well. Precious few of the men on both sides who charged will survive into close combat. Making my point, the 14th fails a morale check and routs!

But just to the south of them, you're doing much better. Men fall before the German bayonets, and more flee, retreating suppressed but not necessarily lost to the fight just yet.

The 13th did its best, but too many Frenchmen make it to close combat, and after they've had their say the 13th also fails a morale check and routs!

Officers roam the field, desperately trying to rally their men from suppression and go on fighting another few minutes. The situation looks grim.

Turn 9: 1030
German initiative

One of your reinforcement brigades marches over the Pasteur Ridge. The other closes the range and opens fire!

Your gun park opens up once more, mostly avenging the dead and fled of the 14th.

The great enemy gun line does the best it can to defend its beleaguered infantry.

The 78th takes a baptism in fire courtesy of some French arse hortillery in Fraisechamps.

But then it's machine gun time. Once again, you benefit from overwhelming superiority.

Several gallant French companies are shot down and thrown back as they charge St C, thee 79th's rifle fire adding to their efforts.

Your reinforcements take hits, but (pictured in a moment) the receipt is soon delivered.

Right at its moment of triumph, the 16th Brigade can take no more in the face of the French gun line and fails a morale check, routing!

The French brigade who charged the 14th also fail, but are only forced to retreat suppressed. "Only".

German bayonets lance through the Bois de Baguette, mincing the enemy.

Only one French company survives its charge, but it enters Saint Croissant and dispatches one of their machine guns!

More failed morale checks in the Bois de Baguette; and they become the first French brigade to rout.

And that is, as they say, that. More attempts to rally from suppression follow.

So, on the one hand, you're three brigades down. On the other, your timely call for reinforcements has left you with three fresh brigades, all in about the same place.

:siren: The deadline for orders has been extended to Tuesday 5pm GMT, as I have just become busy on Monday. :siren:

(movements of runners and etc will be confirmed tomorrow, but everything went as planned)

Numerology: 73 of your companies are no longer on the board as opposed to 57 French. Assuming 200 men per company, that's 26,000 men, although a lot of them have run away before they could be killed.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Witness Me!

• Locked thread