Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I'm glad we finally reached the perfect symbiosis where Toriyama makes the rough story outlines and character designs and what not to make up the heart of the story and hands them off to obsessive super-fans who remember every tiny detail of Dragon Ball more than Toriyama ever can be arsed to to flesh those stories out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

a cartoon duck posted:

I'm glad we finally reached the perfect symbiosis where Toriyama makes the rough story outlines and character designs and what not to make up the heart of the story and hands them off to obsessive super-fans who remember every tiny detail of Dragon Ball more than Toriyama ever can be arsed to to flesh those stories out.

We have to be careful, lest we create another George Lucas.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

WrathOfBlade posted:

The only part of that which survived, after Toriyama went in and created a fun and interesting character who looked like his cat, was the fact that Beerus made Frieza destroy Planet Vegeta. Which, surprise, is the one thing everyone seems to hate about Beerus.

It retroactively pisses on Freeza's backstory. :argh:

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Rutibex posted:

We have to be careful, lest we create another George Lucas.

Toriyama doesn't care nearly enough and is in fact super happy to have other people to work on the nitty-gritty of making creative works.

He's become the ideas guy of Dragon Ball and I'm happy for him.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Wasn't the guy who came up with Virus the ame who did for Broly?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

All I remember hearing is that the Broly guy talked about how he was a wee bit disappointed that the one opponent Goku couldn't beat wasn't a big buff muscle man but a cat undergoing chemo.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Calaveron posted:

Wasn't the guy who came up with Virus the ame who did for Broly?

No, I think the Broly dude just had a hilarious meltdown over how Beerus was a bad villain and Broly was stronger because of muscles.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

It must be cool to be the Broly Man and spend 20 years at a production company trying to get your OC the Anime Hulk added to everything and crying when the writers write about other characters

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

projecthalaxy posted:

It must be cool to be the Broly Man and spend 20 years at a production company trying to get your OC the Anime Hulk added to everything and crying when the writers write about other characters

Which makes me wonder: Has he reacted to female Broly yet?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I'm catching up, and is the arc they're trying to setup really "Goku Learns About Manners?"

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 18, 2017

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Yes.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

that's amazing

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Zore posted:

No, I think the Broly dude just had a hilarious meltdown over how Beerus was a bad villain and Broly was stronger because of muscles.

He didn't have a meltdown, as I recall. I think he was just surprised that the strongest guy in the canon was pretty thin and lanky compared to Broly.

Edit: Upon review, I still don't think he is having a meltdown, but he IS doing a lot of wanking for Broly.

Interview posted:

After much hard work, I was unable to come up with an opponent stronger than Broli, and fell into a rut where I made him appear three times.
That is to say, there’s the matter of questioning the idea of Broli as the strongest. As you are well aware, vehement opinions on the subject have been flying back and forth on this message board, as well as a variety of [other] websites.

For this time, Goku’s opponent, designed by Toriyama-sensei, was even a God of Destruction.
In the world of Dragon Ball Z, that’s a setting where even Broli, before the God of Destruction, would face a gap like that between a Yokozuna and the very bottom of the sumo ranks. That Broli, reduced to a pushover.

Only, from the impression I got of the character on the screen, Broli was scarier, no contest. Am I the only one who found that Broli looked overwhelmingly frightening? Or am I just biased towards my own creation?

Any more than this would become a spoiler, so I’ll hold off on it, but Noppo would like to hear the impressions of the Broli fans….

By all means, please see this work, which had a turnout of one million people in the first six days it was out.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 18, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah I've never thought the dude was having a meltdown as much as he was genuinely surprised at the existence of a type of character like Beerus.

I think the worst thing you can say it is that his conception of what Dragon Ball is seems fairly different than Toriyama's, which is kind of obvious from the 13 movies anyways.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I wonder how you can watch dragon ball and see dudes like frieza or cell and come to the conclusion that bigger is better in this universe. they even explicitly spell out that that's not true with trunks and perfect cell

the one time I can think of in dragon ball where getting bigger was treated as an advantage was the saiyan's great ape form

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Which got quickly nipped in the bud by inattention, a sharp bit of metal and a fat man.

Twice.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Or Krillin in the Xenoverse games.

There was Giant Piccolo too but IIRC he was doing better in that fight against Goku without that form.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I think there's room for a hulk or two, but the obsession with it is strange and of course the character himself is stupid

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
the worst part about broly is him being a dumb rage monster. And actually his large body size is a cool contrast from the typical dbz characters (big muscly dudes have mostly just been nappa and racoom)
i would have liked broly more if he'd been a reasonably intelligent character with an irrational deep set hatred for goku

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Don't the other two Broly movies don't even have Goku around, so his reason for being so piss is gone.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rirse posted:

Don't the other two Broly movies don't even have Goku around, so his reason for being so piss is gone.

Yup. Broly 2 and Bio-Broly happen in the early Buu Saga, so by that time Goku is dead. Broly nonetheless does little more than screaming KAKAROT, using Goten as his target instead.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think ghost goku (ghoku?) shows up in the second one but the third is just goten, trunks, krillin, and 18

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Broly as a big angry muscle strong guy who's whole thing is he's strong and angry would be fine if the character had a personality and his motivation made any sense

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Hell even Vegeta preceded Frieza in representing Toriyama's idea of smaller opponents being far more dangerous

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Freezer was the best example of it though, to be fair. With Vegets, he's still muscular as gently caress even as a short little dwarf man.

Freeza made a point of getting bigger and bigger- and then becoming this super short super slim thing that did excellently until he bulked up.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Burkion posted:

Freezer was the best example of it though, to be fair. With Vegets, he's still muscular as gently caress even as a short little dwarf man.

Freeza made a point of getting bigger and bigger- and then becoming this super short super slim thing that did excellently until he bulked up.

Didn't Cell and Zamasu also try to bulk up before they get defeated as well? Think Kid Buu is the only one who avoids that in the final fight.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

He didn't have a meltdown, as I recall. I think he was just surprised that the strongest guy in the canon was pretty thin and lanky compared to Broly.

Edit: Upon review, I still don't think he is having a meltdown, but he IS doing a lot of wanking for Broly.

Yeah this comes across a lot more as "How can he be stronger, Broly is so cool. That surprised me a lot, but it seems to work" and not so much a meltdown.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Rirse posted:

Didn't Cell and Zamasu also try to bulk up before they get defeated as well? Think Kid Buu is the only one who avoids that in the final fight.

for cell it was a plot point since he'd already made fun of trunks for doing the same thing

zamasu gets bigger but idk if it counts since he also becomes the universe instead of actually losing to anyone

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

How good are Beerus' hugs?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Cell also made himself giant when he fought against Gohan as a desperation move. Always like that particular ruffle of DBZ, that big isn't always the best

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
:swoon: BUU YOU MAGNIFICENT BUBBLEGUM BASTARD :swoon:

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

How good are Beerus' hugs?

Not as perfect as Cell's, but that was genuinely sweet. Weird, but sweet. :3:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
So for all of his life Krillin will refer to his wife as Super Advanced Robo-Human No. 18 and her grandchildren will refer to her as Gramma Super Advanced Robo-Human No. 18? They never gave her a regular name?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Calaveron posted:

So for all of his life Krillin will refer to his wife as Super Advanced Robo-Human No. 18 and her grandchildren will refer to her as Gramma Super Advanced Robo-Human No. 18? They never gave her a regular name?

Maybe she's into that? :shrug:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Calaveron posted:

I imagine if 18 didn't want to be called 18 she'd have mentioned it at some point, she isn't really shy.

It'd be funny if 17 wasn't down with it though.

"Come on, Laz." "My NAME is Artificial Human #18." "That's a dumb name!" "Well, it's MY name."

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

tbf 17 and 18 really are a step up from Lapis and Lazuli

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Why do you think Krillin's wife actually enjoys being called a number? You didn't even hear their loving last names. It makes me think they're just kids of hippies that got "donated" to Gero for drugs. It's probably something stupid like Lapis and Lazuli Starchild or something.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

This is fun.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
What an amazing episode tonight.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
That reminds me I want an episode dedicated to 17's home life before he enters the tournament proper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

good episode. kinda wish that when super saiyan dog basil used his double diable jambe attack on buu, it blew buu into pieces and buu became a bunch of miniature buus that reformed into the big one like what happened when vegeta blew himself up. I just wanna see the reaction of the spectators for that

• Locked thread