Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The Pi3B is at the "some N64 and PS1 games but definitely not all of them" tier of performance, Gamecube is unfortunately too beefy.

That said, you could instead get an OG Wii and probably pay less, even; it'll work there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Dolphin doesn't even have an ARM binary for Linux. You can run it on some android tablets but it doesn't run great.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
http://www.ebay.com/sch/strykeforce/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

So uh. I just bought a lot of video games?

:wtc:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The gimmick clearly works, that seller page gets posted in this thread every other day.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's a gray cart Adventure of Link? Neat, didn't know that existed. :v:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
There are game carts in those photos?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Animal print underwear is loving tacky.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ciaphas posted:

Does the Pi 3B with RetroPie handle gamecube emulation very well? Wondering specifically about Paper Mario TTYD. I can't imagine that tiny stick of circuitry being able to emulate a gamecube, but figured I'd ask.

Absolutely not. GC/Dreamcast/PS2/Xbox generation emulation is pretty much impossible to do at usable speeds on the Raspberry Pi because all the models have terribly slow GPUs from a decade ago, and thus can't handle the 3D rendering duty that the systems need. Some PS1 and N64 titles are ok because the rendering can be brute forced with plain CPU power, but not later systems or the Saturn.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Pastry of the Year posted:

ah yes, the retro goon fashion police to the rescue

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Pastry of the Year posted:

Thanks for telling us about how you prefer your women.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Just spent some time going through the 4-in-1 third-party memory storage thing my Dreamcast came with to free up some space and good lord there's stuff dating back in it all the way to 2002 :stare:. Whoever originally owned my Dreamcast had an interesting taste in games with files for Rez and DAYYYYYTONAAAAAAAA, along with an apparent love for NHL2K given one of the units is devoted entirely to it.

I'm deleting none of it, because good lord they're practically artifacts now.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I never find anything cool on used memory cards, the PS1 card I got was pretty much the greatest hits of that era having all Crash Bandicoot games, Final Fantasy 7 and 8, plus Legaia. Can't remember if Spyro was on it too. The Gamecube ones were even less remarkable usually having a sports game or Urbz: Sims in the City on them.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You know a better way to pay off the bill for a boob job?

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You know a better way to pay off the bill for a boob job?

Some enterprising boob job doctor will decide to accept payment in retro games, all "Ten CIB Eartbounds per cup size", get featured on a bunch of conservative site click-bait ads and a few lovely cable TV shows as the "wacky titty toucher-upper ahead of the investment trends!", and then loses it all once Nintendo gets around to salvaging that container ship that sunk in Puget Sound and floods the poo poo out of the market with NOS copies (slightly sodden and starfishy).

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Got a Wii controller repair question, if anyone might happen to know the answer.

I've got a Classic Controller (original, cable-on-the-bottom version) that my cats bit through the cable on years ago. I wanted to try and repair it for use with my NES Classic.

I don't have a tri-wing screwdriver on me, but from looking at a nice, clear pic of the inside of a Nunchuk, and a blurry video screen capture of the inside of a Classic Controller, I should just be able to unplug the cables from the board and swap them between the two. Does anybody know if this will actually work, or if I've got some cable splicing ahead of me?

I think I have a screwdriver at work that will fit it, so I'll probably find out tomorrow either way, it'd just be nice to know ahead of time.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I just finished Castlevania Portrait of Ruin. Who wants to hear what I thought?

Tough poo poo, I'm telling you anyway.

I appreciate that they were trying to change up the formula in Portrait of Ruin, but I don't think it was actually successful. Two very different characters? Cool. Jonathan has the standard gameplay while Charlotte has a lot of versatile spells to sling around. Except it's so annoying to adjust Charlotte's spells for each situation that it becomes more convenient to settle into the harder hitting and more capable of taking damage Jonathan and just bring her out for special occasions.

Unfortunately, Jonathan has the grindier system attached to him with killing hundreds of enemies to master a subweapon. And there's dozens of subweapons. Even if you just stick to a few useful ones, you have to grind a lot get mastery of those.

I stalled out on Portrait of Ruin years ago at the fight against the two vampire daughters. Protecting Charlotte from getting hit for fifteen seconds while she casts her spell and not letting her get off screen while I dodged their giant attacks was giving me fits. I found the bosses in general in this game more annoying than cool. They seem to follow a philosophy of giant attacks that originate from places that you may not necessarily be able to see that do extreme amounts of damage while piling the hit points sky high. It makes the bosses especially not fun; it's tough to work out how to deal with them and I wound up relying on healing items to deal with them.

Speaking of which, since this game is much more dependent on using mp since you have to use your subweapons constantly to work on getting the skill in them to increase, it means that money drops are rare and you'll have hardly any cash. Unless you specifically grind for it, of course.

The maps are also weirdly paced. There's huge, long gaps between save points. If you choose a direction and miss one then you'll be in real trouble. And the power ups to unlock new paths are really limited and uninteresting with only a few key location uses.

I feel like this game was intended to be a most straightforward actiony Castlevania game but they were too married to the Metroidvania structure and they backed away from that idea. And the result is something that's half-baked. I like the idea of two characters with different strengths working off each other, but they had to be actually distinctive and useful. Make Charlotte the high damage dealer and Jonathon the high defense guy. Or make Charlotte's versatility more accessible and Jonathan more limited in scope.

Well, I might as well play Order of Ecclesia to the end just to fill out the DS trilogy.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Random Stranger posted:

Tough poo poo, I'm telling you anyway.

I thought I was alone in my hate for Portrait. It's my least favorite of the SotN-likes (second to Circle of the Moon) and especially dull when compared to the near-perfection that the other DS games managed to hit.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
OoE is my favorite of that set, so I hope you like it. It's probably the most challenging of the three. Be sure to pay attention to different weapon types and how they hit each enemy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TVs Ian posted:

Got a Wii controller repair question, if anyone might happen to know the answer.

I've got a Classic Controller (original, cable-on-the-bottom version) that my cats bit through the cable on years ago. I wanted to try and repair it for use with my NES Classic.

I don't have a tri-wing screwdriver on me, but from looking at a nice, clear pic of the inside of a Nunchuk, and a blurry video screen capture of the inside of a Classic Controller, I should just be able to unplug the cables from the board and swap them between the two. Does anybody know if this will actually work, or if I've got some cable splicing ahead of me?

I think I have a screwdriver at work that will fit it, so I'll probably find out tomorrow either way, it'd just be nice to know ahead of time.

You'd probably be better hacking a Classic Controller Pro apart for the cable, because there's probably a lot less wiring inside a cable supporting all of two buttons, a gyroscope and thumbstick.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Ladies and gentlemen, please rise for the national anthem ~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG2AXbYDHBs

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Booourns posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, please rise for the national anthem ~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG2AXbYDHBs

Knew it was gonna be this (because it HAD to be this), and it was, and I have no regrets

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Discount Viscount posted:

I feel like the following things need to be noted, somewhere, about Wild Guns: Reloaded. It is basically the definitive version of the game, except:

• the continue screen is not as rad
  • no vs. mode [unless it's unlockable, I haven't gotten far]

Yea, I was a little surprised it was missing vs. mode and some other minor things like the bonus stages - not because they were vital components of the original games but more because it seemed weird that a remake of a relatively compact game would be missing anything at all - but it's not really a big deal.

Random Stranger posted:

Well, I might as well play Order of Ecclesia to the end just to fill out the DS trilogy.

If you think Portrait is an awkward mismash of classic and IGA-style CV then you're not going to like Ecclesia much at all.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

Did you mash the character switch button for them to yell JONATHON and CHARLOTTE over eachother? This and hitting things with a book are all I remember.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just spent some time going through the 4-in-1 third-party memory storage thing my Dreamcast came with to free up some space and good lord there's stuff dating back in it all the way to 2002 :stare:. Whoever originally owned my Dreamcast had an interesting taste in games with files for Rez and DAYYYYYTONAAAAAAAA, along with an apparent love for NHL2K given one of the units is devoted entirely to it.

I'm deleting none of it, because good lord they're practically artifacts now.

You never know what you'll find when you buy old media online. I bought some old minidiscs and they must have come from a radio station since all they had were various bumpers advertising some movie I had never heard of and some station contests.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yea, I was a little surprised it was missing vs. mode and some other minor things like the bonus stages - not because they were vital components of the original games but more because it seemed weird that a remake of a relatively compact game would be missing anything at all - but it's not really a big deal.

If you think Portrait is an awkward mismash of classic and IGA-style CV then you're not going to like Ecclesia much at all.

Ecclesia is the best of the Metroidvania CVs though. It's just hard but not in a BS way like Circle of the Moon and it's fuckass scaled damage sewer section.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Half the fun of buying used memory cards is going through them and judging the previous owner's taste in videogames.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The difference is Ecclesia owns it.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I bought a used XBox about 10 years ago, and the HDD contained nothing but Madden, NCAA Football and Halo saves, and ripped Van Halen songs.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Silhouette posted:

I bought a used XBox about 10 years ago, and the HDD contained nothing but Madden, NCAA Football and Halo saves, and ripped Van Halen songs.

I remember renting games like Bomberman 64 and Mischief Makers to find files that had all the gold cards and gems and poo poo. I lived in a very small town at the time but never found out who this Nintendo 64 savant was (presumably it was the same person). It will always be a mystery...

Wouldn't be surprised if the fucker platinumed Blast Corpse too, but that game used a Game Pak.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mak0rz posted:

I remember renting games like Bomberman 64 and Mischief Makers to find files that had all the gold cards and gems and poo poo. I lived in a very small town at the time but never found out who this Nintendo 64 savant was (presumably it was the same person). It will always be a mystery...

Wouldn't be surprised if the fucker platinumed Blast Corpse too, but that game used a Game Pak.

Maybe it was just a kid with a GameShark. :v:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

fishmech posted:

Maybe it was just a kid with a GameShark. :v:

Actually I did know a couple of guys with GameSharks! The legend is a farce!! :argh:

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I have some fond memories of renting Stunt Race FX and battling some one for time trial speeds. I can't imagine the horror of hoping you picked the right copy of a cartridge game or praying that someone didn't erase your save.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I once had a conversation with someone over several months via the character select/naming screen in a rental uniracers cart when that game was released. It was large enough to form sentences

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

I remember renting games like Bomberman 64 and Mischief Makers to find files that had all the gold cards and gems and poo poo.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Silhouette posted:

I got one a couple years ago at a garage sale with a broken disc drive but a hacked HDD that has one full game on it (Call of Duty or something, I forgot), some videos for children, and an SNES emulator and one ROM: Pac-Man 2.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I can't believe I can't find this info online, but what happens if you put a Sega CD 32x game without a 32x attached? Nothing? Some sort of error screen with Sonic wagging his finger in disapproval at you?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I replaced my Super Nintendo with a super famicom because it's cooler looking and man, what is with Japanese controller cords being so short? Do they usually have the console on the coffee table with cables running to the tv from there or do they just sit super close? I understand the houses being small and everything but these cables are only 4 feet long.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
You get a single still that tells you that this game requires the Sega 32X hardware to play.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I can't believe I can't find this info online, but what happens if you put a Sega CD 32x game without a 32x attached? Nothing? Some sort of error screen with Sonic wagging his finger in disapproval at you?

The only game I accidentally tried it with just didn't seem to load at all (I burned a copy of Corpse Killer 32X instead of regular Corpse Killer, before I actually had a 32X. Didn't realize the problem until I went and rechecked the filename on the disc image I'd used).

Not sure what happens with the other 5 games, never tried it before I sold off my 32x and Genesis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

GutBomb posted:

I replaced my Super Nintendo with a super famicom because it's cooler looking and man, what is with Japanese controller cords being so short? Do they usually have the console on the coffee table with cables running to the tv from there or do they just sit super close? I understand the houses being small and everything but these cables are only 4 feet long.

I believe games were usually played by children sitting on the ground, close to the TV, and a console on the floor. Maybe this stems from the days of playing Pong consoles, which typically had controls on the console itself? Even the Atari 2600 is designed that way, with the controller ports in the back and super long RF/power cables. The trend just lasted longer in Japan than the US.

• Locked thread