Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

France, despite French perceptions, is not Europe.
Comics has a ton of cultural cachet in other european countries too. Like in my country where the resistance risked their lives to smuggle in fresh comic strips during the war and it's mainstream enough to justify a library solely dedicated to comics

quote:

e: Though a belief that it basically is would explain confidence in the series' popularity across Europe, ensuring that the movie would have a lot of interest behind it in a major movie market right from the start in the mind of decision makers.
Valérian and Laureline has been published in a lot of countries in Europe so that's not completely unreasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

A Buttery Pastry posted:

France, despite French perceptions, is not Europe.

e: Though a belief that it basically is would explain confidence in the series' popularity across Europe, ensuring that the movie would have a lot of interest behind it in a major movie market right from the start in the mind of decision makers.

Valerian And Laureline was created by Frenchmen but it was a Franco-Belgian comic by publication. It appeared in the Franco-Belgian magazine Pilote which also featured Asterix, Blueberry, Lucky Luke and a whole bunch more series which were super popular all over Europe. Valerian was also translated into German, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Dutch, Danish and almost every other European language.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

So more or less popular than Tintin?

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Wow Lambert looks exactly like Brenden Fraser there

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Even if Evans based The Raid on a Dredd script, who cares. It means we got two very different and very awesome films out of the same idea. And I truly believe that The Raid had nothing to do with Dredd's poor performance.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Yeah, plus there's a good proportion of people who react to everything going on by just holing up in their apartments and who absolutely poo poo themselves when the cops get in. It's basically just a ghetto apartment block that the crime lord owns and also keeps his people in because why wouldn't you.

Yeah when I said you would have to change the setting into something like the Purge to have it set in America, I also didn't mean it wasn't possible to film it, but that it shouldn't be filmed at all.

Like a movie where heroic cops go into a poor tenement building to be torn apart by its rabid and craven residents is a neo-Nazi wet dream, and I don't see how its gonna get greenlit (or that it should). It's not the 80s anymore.

I hope.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

smackfu posted:

So more or less popular than Tintin?

Far less. Tintin, Asterix, and potentially Lucky Luke are probably the only Franco-Belgian comics where you can talk to a random person in Western Europe and they're likely to recognise the characters.

Edit: The Smurfs as well, I suppose, but more so for the TV series than the original comics.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 18, 2017

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I think you'd have a better chance this year than year for quite awhile before it

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Shageletic posted:

Yeah when I said you would have to change the setting into something like the Purge to have it set in America, I also didn't mean it wasn't possible to film it, but that it shouldn't be filmed at all.

Like a movie where heroic cops go into a poor tenement building to be torn apart by its rabid and craven residents is a neo-Nazi wet dream, and I don't see how its gonna get greenlit (or that it should). It's not the 80s anymore.

Even Colossal, that movie with the remote control monster or whatever, the trailer may as show a neon sign that says "thank God they wrote it to land in Korea so we can safely laugh at these silly non-American rescue workers and civilians get blown up." :wtc:

The Raid and Dredd are two of the best action movies in the past like ten years. And while I can understand it being a little annoying that people would dare look at Dredd and say "this is like the Raid" instead of other way around there's literally no way in hell The Raid impacted how Dredd did at the box office or that people looked at the Dredd DVD on Amazon and were like "Psshh this is just a shameless ripoff of The Raid, PASS."

Dredd flopped because it had one of the worst trailers ever made considering the content and style of the movie and because instead of doing anything that could build up interest to market it they just dumped a billion posters all over NYC of Dredd standing on top of building or whatever. Like they literally made a poster that would be perfectly camouflaged and invisible on any wall you'd see in an urban area. Also if any Euro-Goons can comment, didn't it intentionally only get released in like the most expensive possible 3D theaters in Europe instead of a wider release that included 2D ones?

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 18, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I just thought it was a good bit to bring up Dredd inspiring the raid.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Samuel Clemens posted:

Far less. Tintin, Asterix, and potentially Lucky Luke are probably the only Franco-Belgian comics where you can talk to a random person in Western Europe and they're likely to recognise the characters.

Edit: The Smurfs as well, I suppose, but more so for the TV series than the original comics.
The other ones probably got a decent boost in recognition from being animated as well.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

marshmallow creep posted:

What about a movie that's basically the opposite, about a bunch of criminals trying to exfiltrate a compound of wall to wall cops? Maybe the cops are corrupt and the crims are sympathetic and pressured into what they're doing because of extraordinary circumstances, if you need that sort of thing.

Direct-to-video actioner The Immortals from 1995 had that premise. A bunch of people with nothing left to lose are enlisted in a suicide mission against a mobster, end up in a massive gunbattle between the mafia and the police.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Just set it in The Carter from New Jack City.

No poo poo, whenever I heard of an American remake of The Raid, I immediately thought, "Are they going to get Wesley Snipes to reprise his role as Nino Brown?"

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Samuel Clemens posted:

Spirou and The Incal maybe as well.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Shageletic posted:

I hope.

The cops in The Raid aren't good people, except maybe Rama. If right-wingers take to an American Raid, it's through a severe misreading of the text.

e: I mean, right-wingers certainly will take to it if it's even half as good as the original, 'cause it'll be a dope movie. The cops definitely aren't heroic though.

Shoombo fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 18, 2017

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Shoombo posted:

The cops in The Raid aren't good people, except maybe Rama. If right-wingers take to an American Raid, it's through a severe misreading of the text.

e: I mean, right-wingers certainly will take to it if it's even half as good as the original, 'cause it'll be a dope movie. The cops definitely aren't heroic though.

The reason they're there is because of police corruption, with shady superiors sending in an unauthorized raid to muscle in on the landlord. And, even then, you have one of the cops shooting an unarmed kid in the back.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Dredd flopped because it had one of the worst trailers ever made considering the content and style of the movie

lol you weren't kidding: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-eI5oLlIeY

edit: yeah, they aren't good guys (though the podunk cannon fodder didn't have much of a choice in being there, right?), but they can (and will) certainly be construed as such.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 18, 2017

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Shageletic posted:

I hope.

Have you ever read about Martin Scorcese's dilemma on the set of Taxi Driver? why am I spoilering this in CineD good god. He knew that the ending scene, with Travis murdering the pimps, would be a nazi wet dream. So he had to make everyone white. He went so far as to send Paul Schrader out onto the streets to find a white pimp to base the character on, but after a few weeks it turned out that a white pimp was something of a unicorn in 1970s New York. Which is why Harvey Keitel plays that weird out of place character, they had nothing in reality to base it on so they just winged it.

Yeah that's a weirdly racist anecdote but blame Marty not me.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm weird because I liked the Dredd trailer and it's what got me to watch the film.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I'm weird because I liked the Dredd trailer and it's what got me to watch the film.

Same here, although I will say the production shots they first released to tease the film looked terrible.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

CelticPredator posted:

Well obviously

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That picture of Dredd still makes me laugh. His helmet looks ridiculously over sized.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

CelticPredator posted:

That picture of Dredd still makes me laugh. His helmet looks ridiculously over sized.

Pictured: production shot of Karl Urban in Judge uniform.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/dredd_movie_image_karl_urban_01.jpg

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

People can differ and all, but I am absolutely flummoxed that a lean, mean, action movie in the 80s vein (shoot through the membrane, yeah!) is advertised by pop electronic music and a huge emphasis on slowed drug trances.

It should have showcased what the movie was, brutal action. Aren't trailers supposed to show that?

edit; or even a better version of the movie. You don't come away from that trailer pumping your fist. It's more like a disinterested shrug.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

hiddenmovement posted:

Have you ever read about Martin Scorcese's dilemma on the set of Taxi Driver? why am I spoilering this in CineD good god. He knew that the ending scene, with Travis murdering the pimps, would be a nazi wet dream. So he had to make everyone white. He went so far as to send Paul Schrader out onto the streets to find a white pimp to base the character on, but after a few weeks it turned out that a white pimp was something of a unicorn in 1970s New York. Which is why Harvey Keitel plays that weird out of place character, they had nothing in reality to base it on so they just winged it.

Yeah that's a weirdly racist anecdote but blame Marty not me.

Weren't those guys Italian mobsters? I seem to recall in the epilogue scene that the newspapers are reporting that the john was some low level Mafioso get some Jodie Foster by coincidence and the guys Travis shoots down are his bodyguards.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I always figured Dredd's failure, above all, was that people thought it was a sequel to the lovely Stallone one, so nobody went to see it accordingly.

Funny thing is, outside of showing Dredd without a mask and Rob S as comedy relief, didn't Stallone's movie capture a lot of the vibe of the comics? My 2000AD is rusty.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

I always figured Dredd's failure, above all, was that people thought it was a sequel to the lovely Stallone one, so nobody went to see it accordingly.

Funny thing is, outside of showing Dredd without a mask and Rob S as comedy relief, didn't Stallone's movie capture a lot of the vibe of the comics? My 2000AD is rusty.

Pretty much yes. The movie Lawgivers are a bit bulkier than they should be, because the 2000AD Lawgivers were based off Mausers, with magazines outside the pistol grip and long barrels, for that fascist look. They also hired Gianni Versace as costume designer, and he designed some source-accurate outfits for Stallone and the other Judges.

I know I was a little disappointed with the paintball or motorcyclist gear seen in those original previews, but finally seeing them in the movie made them a much more reasonable take on the design.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I think the Stallone one is pretty well forgotten by this point, along with just about everything else Stallone did in the 90s.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

MisterBibs posted:

Not really. Visually speaking it was incredibly true to the comics but plotwise it was a bog standard, poorly written 90s action movie about a loose cannon cop.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also the loving bizarre plot point where they very clearly look nothing alike.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

I think the Stallone one is pretty well forgotten by this point, along with just about everything else Stallone did in the 90s.

I would've thought so too, but I definitely heard a lot of "You mean like the Stallone movie?" when I first mentioned Dredd to people.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah I'd be surprised if the moviegoing public even remembers Stallone Dredd existed. The movie was absolutely loving awful way beyond Stallone taking off his helmet and Male Gigolo's comedy relief. The script is just super stupid with lots of jumps in the story. Like characters often magically know all about/don't know anything about poo poo that they clearly must be aware of, once Dredd gets sent out into the desert it really goes off the rails too, no direction. The makeup for Mean Machine is incredible though, one of the best "human with a bunch of cyborg sticking out" jobs ever. Basically everyone is winging it except for Stallone and Max von Sydow. Remember Joan Chen in that movie? Probably not because her role mostly consists for standing around basically looking right at the camera and appearing visibly embarrassed to be in the movie. The only good thing about the entire movie cast wise is Armand Assante chewing maximum scenery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueYUwcZV-n0

Hammerstein being in it was weird too. ABC Warriors was another 2000 AD comic about four badass warbots, let's build a huge animatronic of this robot character that is infamous for always fighting with a hammer and not actually have him use a hammer or do anything but walk around look intimidating until Male Gigolo hacks him. The story is dumb as hell in general. Rico escapes from the worst guarded prison in the history of mankind, he was imprisoned because he caused a massacre because he wanted to be the god of all these sick judge clones the government was manufacturing, but because he went nuts they decided the clones weren't a good idea and stopped them even though the plan was literally that they were going to make all these clones run the entire city and basically be law-dispensing gods. Like he would have achieved his goal by waiting an extra month. Also they kept all these half-grown clones around for 30 years just waiting to be woken up by Rico since no one realized it's possible to just flip a switch and that makes them all open up and they're fine. But don't worry after you see one start to rise out of its pod they're never seen or mentioned again.

I read an interview where Stallone said First Blood and Dredd were the biggest surprises of his career. First Blood because the dailies looked so awful he almost bought the rights to and canned the movie out of embarrassment, but it ended up being loving awesome after post production. Dredd because the sets/costumes/everything was really cool and people were excited to go in, and then once the movie was being made everyone realized what a shitpile it was going to be but the money was already spent so. I share his frustration about the Mega City One sets they made. The sets and all the extras walking through them are great work on everyone's part but then the story only uses them for like one minute.

Does anyone know the deal with the soundtrack fakeout or what happened with that? They got Jerry Goldsmith to make some intense music for the trailers and teasers, but then Alan Silvestri did the film's actual score.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 18, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
My own anecdotal evidence is that a lot of people remembered that Judge Dredd was garbage and that was enough for them not to give Dredd a second look.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alan Silvestri's score is so drat good. It reminds me of RoboCop a bit in how overly heroic it is.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I just saw The Great Wall, AMA

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

well why not posted:

Did you see the whole thing? How long would you say it is?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
About eighty-eight hundred kilometers.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Did you see the whole thing? How long would you say it is?

far far too long

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

well why not posted:

Is that really bad cgi lizard still in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Improbable Lobster posted:

My own anecdotal evidence is that a lot of people remembered that Judge Dredd was garbage and that was enough for them not to give Dredd a second look.

I passed up a free screening of it because I thought it would be as bad as the original, biggest movie mistake of that year

• Locked thread