Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

LoveBoatCaptain posted:

It could be less powerful and still run the same games, since it wouldn't need to be able to run the games in 900p or 1080p on the TV screen. The rest of your post doesn't make sense, 'cause the 2DS exists. I guess you'd run into trouble with the games that need both players to use a joycon, but that not really a problem when the whole point of the system is to have a cheaper, singleplayer version that would only be used on the go.

And I'm fairly sure that if Nintendo did something like this they'd spend more time thinking it through than the 5 minutes i spent on that post.

the 2ds is just the original 3ds but made ever cheaper it's not really downgraded it's just not upgraded

they arent going to make a cheap switch until they release a New Switch and the 2ds basically only exists because its cheap enough to be worth considering buying for your 3 children and they're selling them at a profit, a thing the switch is not really at the price point of probably

like the 2ds is $80 NEW like jesus that's barely more than a kid proof case for an ipad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

s.i.r.e. posted:

Well it could be just as powerful, but they could cut costs since the sides of it wouldn't need their own separate batteries so you could just have a larger one in the device so it would last longer. You also wouldn't need the wireless in the joycons since they'd be stuck to the console. HD rumble could probably be replaced with standard rumble and you wouldn't need the IR pointer anymore. They could even remove the cartridge port and make it digital only if they wanted to. I could see Nintendo doing something like this because, let's face it, not many games are going to use that poo poo anyway so you wouldn't be denying yourself much of the Switch library.

They could definitely spend time and money developing and manufacturing a Switch that is missing half of the key features and will never facilitate a single physical sale. I think it would be a mistake because I don't agree with the assumption that they could sell it at a steep enough discount to attract people who aren't already interested in the Switch, without poaching their own sales from people who want to play Nintendo games enough to buy a console. It would also go ahead and split the user base in the exact way the Switch is trying to avoid.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Wait, Zelda is 900p?

RAWARARRGHH! Cancelling my preorder. The switch loving sucks. Blargh warrgh howl.

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe
So, the Nintendo Wii sold 101.63 million consoles.

This fuckin' guy was hype af for the Wii: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nL-j3Tx-KA

So, I think it's our sacred obligation to find this man and gauge his excitement level to see how successful the Switch will be!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tender Bender posted:

They could definitely spend time and money developing and manufacturing a Switch that is missing half of the key features and will never facilitate a single physical sale. I think it would be a mistake because I don't agree with the assumption that they could sell it at a steep enough discount to attract people who aren't already interested in the Switch, without poaching their own sales from people who want to play Nintendo games enough to buy a console. It would also go ahead and split the user base in the exact way the Switch is trying to avoid.

Half the key features most games will never use. It won't fragment the userbase like how the more powerful New 3DS didn't nor the gimped Wii Mini. Something like a cheaper Switch would be aimed at people who want the basic features and just a traditional gaming experience. There's a lot of people in this thread who said they don't even care about the portability of the Switch and are just going to use a pro controller 100% of the time anyway which are like, the two biggest features of the thing. There's always a market for cheaper electronics that don't have all of the bells and whistles of the higher end, flagship models; phones, laptops, tvs, whatever.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
13 days mfkers, awwww yeah.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

s.i.r.e. posted:

Half the key features most games will never use. It won't fragment the userbase like how the more powerful New 3DS didn't nor the gimped Wii Mini. Something like a cheaper Switch would be aimed at people who want the basic features and just a traditional gaming experience. There's a lot of people in this thread who said they don't even care about the portability of the Switch and are just going to use a pro controller 100% of the time anyway which are like, the two biggest features of the thing. There's always a market for cheaper electronics that don't have all of the bells and whistles of the higher end, flagship models; phones, laptops, tvs, whatever.

Again development and manufacturing isn't free and I don't think Nintendo would want or be able to put together a gimped Switch that doesn't play most games and retails for significantly less. You say "there's a lot of people who don't want X feature" but your original post was talking about a portable-only console, now you're talking about a home only-console, Nintendo isn't going to decide before launch to scrap major features and do R&D on one or multiple stripped down consoles so they can possibly save a niche audience $50 bucks.

Nintendo is not a phone/TV manufacturer, they have different resources and needs, and they are selling one of three major products in their market.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
So what are the odds my Nintendo Switch explodes from using a battery pack vs the mega-huge adapter that comes with it? Since USB C is apparently the most dangerous charging mechanism in the history of man and all.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

InFlames235 posted:

So what are the odds my Nintendo Switch explodes from using a battery pack vs the mega-huge adapter that comes with it? Since USB C is apparently the most dangerous charging mechanism in the history of man and all.

100%, use it as a weapon

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Soul Glo posted:

100%, use it as a weapon

Gonna get a Front Toward Enemy sticker for mine.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The only way to kill those guardian robot things in Breath of the Wild is to plug them in with a USB-C until they explode.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tender Bender posted:

Again development and manufacturing isn't free and I don't think Nintendo would want or be able to put together a gimped Switch that doesn't play most games and retails for significantly less. You say "there's a lot of people who don't want X feature" but your original post was talking about a portable-only console, now you're talking about a home only-console, Nintendo isn't going to decide before launch to scrap major features and do R&D on one or multiple stripped down consoles so they can possibly save a niche audience $50 bucks.

Nintendo is not a phone/TV manufacturer, they have different resources and needs, and they are selling one of three major products in their market.

We're talking about a company that has as many iterations on their systems like Capcom does of Street Fighter titles, did you forget about the Wii Mini and Wii Family Edition? I'm curious about how you're going to explain those. They're always developing SKUs and new consoles. Nintendo's already working on Switch successors or revisions and it's not even out yet, because they always start development of new consoles as soon as they're finished with another one, this has been known for a while. Also I never said anything about the console becoming a home only thing. Nintendo is totally down to spend money developing niche consoles, bundles or whatever if it's profitable.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

s.i.r.e. posted:

We're talking about a company that has as many iterations on their systems like Capcom does of Street Fighter titles, did you forget about the Wii Mini and Wii Family Edition? I'm curious about how you're going to explain those. They're always developing SKUs and new consoles.

Those things all notably play Wii games and utilize everything about the Wii except its backwards compatibility. What you're talking about is the equivalent of a Wii that doesn't use motion controls.

quote:

Nintendo's already working on Switch successors or revisions and it's not even out yet, because they always start development of new consoles as soon as they're finished with another one, this has been known for a while.

You're not wrong but "remaining in the console business" is a different goal than "abandoning key features prior to launch".

quote:

Also I never said anything about the console becoming a home only thing.

You referenced "people saying they aren't interested in portability" as evidence that there is a market for stripped down Switches. I incorrectly assumed this was relevant to the discussion.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

Soul Glo posted:

100%, use it as a weapon

Will this explode my Switch?

Anker PowerCore+ 20100, USB-C/Type-C Ultra-High Capacity, Premium Portable Charger, ... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014ZO46LK/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_nilQybTSAKMJ9

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I went and canned my preorder of bomberman and put it to Puyo Puyo Tetris and finishing off Mario Kart 8 DX instead.

I was super hyped for B-Man but after hearing nothing but bad things about it everywhere I decided it's probably not worth it till it's actually out. What a bummerdude.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

InFlames235 posted:

Will this explode my Switch?

Anker PowerCore+ 20100, USB-C/Type-C Ultra-High Capacity, Premium Portable Charger, ... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014ZO46LK/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_nilQybTSAKMJ9

All of them seem to exhibit strange behavior, though this model hasn't been tested by Benson Leung and friends. I'd recommend using a USB A port and an A-C cable, but 90% of the time you should be okay with a decent C-C cable.

Not all included C-C cables are good, by the way.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I went and canned my preorder of bomberman and put it to Puyo Puyo Tetris and finishing off Mario Kart 8 DX instead.

I was super hyped for B-Man but after hearing nothing but bad things about it everywhere I decided it's probably not worth it till it's actually out. What a bummerdude.

Even if Bomberman turns out to be good, Puyo Puyo Tetris is really fun and wasn't a bad choice at all.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Bomberman may be a fun game but its art is Mighty No. 9 levels of uninspired. Definitely missing the charm and visual coherence of any of Nintendo's first party stuff.

I made these because I felt so strongly about how ugly Bomberman is.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

aside from the one destructoid dude who was complaining about needing 8 controllers for an 8 player game (lol), where's the badness? I have only seen the trailer and treehouse footage

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Bloodplay it again posted:

aside from the one destructoid dude who was complaining about needing 8 controllers for an 8 player game (lol), where's the badness? I have only seen the trailer and treehouse footage

I've seen post by people that have attended events all saying that the AI was awful and the game felt lazy/ran poorly. That's about it.

Also I like the art style for what it's worth. The actual art I mean.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

I would consider playing a game that looked like that. Not interested in My First Unity Bomberman Clone that people are saying runs bad and has bad AI.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Cojawfee posted:

I would consider playing a game that looked like that. Not interested in My First Unity Bomberman Clone that people are saying runs bad and has bad AI.

Yeah this art style owns and is a million times better then the trash rear end anime direction they were desperate to try to tack onto the series awhile ago.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I've seen post by people that have attended events all saying that the AI was awful and the game felt lazy/ran poorly. That's about it.

Also I like the art style for what it's worth. The actual art I mean.

I was just hoping to play co-op campaign once or twice and then use the rest for online play. I guess if you wanted to play 4 players plus bots or something it could possibly be a bummer if they're that dumb. I say gently caress the haters and I'm gonna still pick it up because there's no way it's as lame as 1-2 Switch and I'm gonna need something to fill in between Zelda and whenever Snipperclips comes out.

edit: plus apparently I need to find out how this copy of Bomberman somehow has the worst AI in 33 years of being around

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Bloodplay it again posted:

I was just hoping to play co-op campaign once or twice and then use the rest for online play. I guess if you wanted to play 4 players plus bots or something it could possibly be a bummer if they're that dumb. I say gently caress the haters and I'm gonna still pick it up because there's no way it's as lame as 1-2 Switch and I'm gonna need something to fill in between Zelda and whenever Snipperclips comes out.

edit: plus apparently I need to find out how this copy of Bomberman somehow has the worst AI in 33 years of being around

There's some webms floating around of the AI planting a bomb, walking into a 1-tile space then just dying ending matches instantly.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

There's some webms floating around of the AI planting a bomb, walking into a 1-tile space then just dying ending matches instantly.

I dunno seems pretty realistic to me have you seen Game Center CX?

$50 is pretty steep. I spent $120 on Zelda expansion, Bomberman, Mario Kart, and 2 years of GCU at Best Buy so not full price by any means. Plus if enough of us buy this we're gonna get bomberman hero bomberman the third attack + pommy switch

and goemon

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 18, 2017

snograt
Jul 18, 2013

rattus rattus
senile old twattus

PerrineClostermann posted:

All of them seem to exhibit strange behavior, though this model hasn't been tested by Benson Leung and friends. I'd recommend using a USB A port and an A-C cable, but 90% of the time you should be okay with a decent C-C cable.

Not all included C-C cables are good, by the way.

It's not even a C-C charger - it says the C-C cable is only for charging the bank itself.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I'm pretty much in agreement with goon sentiment on all the desirable titles except Splatoon (2) -- I'm aware of it and under the impression that it's meritorious, but I'm not excited by it.

Is there anything particularly compelling about it from the generally single-player-offline perspective or should I just accept it's not my bag and be happy with the multiple games I am enthused about?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Hammer Bro. posted:

Is there anything particularly compelling about it from the generally single-player-offline perspective

We have seen nothing of Splatoon 2's single-player offline stuff. Splatoon 1 had a single-player offline campaign that was good but fairly short, appropriate for a game focused on online multiplayer. I would not anticipate this being the game for you if you aren't interested in an online multiplayer shooter.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I think they announced that the singleplayer in 2 is going to be far more expansive and involved but it's literally just some PR words so take it for what it is.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

s.i.r.e. posted:

Well it could be just as powerful, but they could cut costs since the sides of it wouldn't need their own separate batteries so you could just have a larger one in the device so it would last longer. You also wouldn't need the wireless in the joycons since they'd be stuck to the console. HD rumble could probably be replaced with standard rumble and you wouldn't need the IR pointer anymore. They could even remove the cartridge port and make it digital only if they wanted to. I could see Nintendo doing something like this because, let's face it, not many games are going to use that poo poo anyway so you wouldn't be denying yourself much of the Switch library.

Nintendo will not nix a cartridge port.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
The store I preordered at only received 5 Switches out of the 160+ they were supposed to recieve in the preorder shipment. None of them are going to be available until the 7th or the 10th. :saddowns:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

snograt posted:

It's not even a C-C charger - it says the C-C cable is only for charging the bank itself.

Read the product description again. It _is_ a C-C charger, but the cable is faulty and shouldn't be used to charge anything but the device itself. If this is the same bank I remember looking at a few months back, a review goes in depth in explaining it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tender Bender posted:

You referenced "people saying they aren't interested in portability" as evidence that there is a market for stripped down Switches. I incorrectly assumed this was relevant to the discussion.

I was just referencing how people are already not going to use major key features of the Switch. If they made a budget model I still think it'd be portable first and foremost. I get where you're coming from but I totally see Nintendo releasing more models (upgraded/affordable) down the line, but definitely not anytime soon. The Switch has a lot of features I'm sure that 90% of the games will hardly use and I think most developers are going to develop alternate controls for the Pro controller anyway so I don't think many titles would be unplayable on a Switch with certain features cut. It'd be tricky figuring out what to cut exactly but I see Nintendo doing it somewhere down the line.

Real hurthling! posted:

Nintendo will not nix a cartridge port.

They definitely won't, just stating they could.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Turns out that gaf poster who had that broken street date Switch was actually stolen from somewhere when he bought it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1345365

tl;dr Nintendo took that poo poo back and dude is out of his money buying hot merchandise.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

PerrineClostermann posted:

Read the product description again. It _is_ a C-C charger, but the cable is faulty and shouldn't be used to charge anything but the device itself. If this is the same bank I remember looking at a few months back, a review goes in depth in explaining it.

You guys sure stutter a lot.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Turns out that gaf poster who had that broken street date Switch was actually stolen from somewhere when he bought it.

tl;dr Nintendo took that poo poo back and dude is out of his money buying hot merchandise.

Sucks for him but he apparently lacks the balls to do anything about it

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

A vita sized switch pocket would own, and is likely coming as a successor to the 3DS. That said, the 3DS is doing really well right now, so I wouldn't expect it for a few years.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

koolkal posted:

To do what? Nintendo isn't going to refund him for a stolen Switch. Restitution falls upon the dude he bought it from, if that's even what happened.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

koolkal posted:

You are dumb as poo poo if you don't return a piece of stolen property(even if you didn't steal it) when you get called on it.

Nintendo would likely wreck you in court if you tried to fight it. You'd just be wasting money. And since he's a barista lol, he wouldn't likely have the money to actually put up a fight that would allow him to keep it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

He also tried to sell it on Reddit before recording the UI videos, from later posts in that thread. One of the pictures included the serial number, which is probably how they figured out it was stolen.

• Locked thread