Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Are the Plano cases that bad? I have a (I think 42"?) for my AR15 and it seems rather solid; I wish I'd have gotten the next size shorter tbh though..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I would try to think of the worst case situation you could see yourself in with that case. If it doesn't involve being dropped repeatedly, run over, or just generally treated like poo poo, then you'll probably be fine with it. Pelicans are nice because they're watertight and drat near indestructible. I don't know that I've owned anything made by Plano that even remotely falls into the near indestructible class besides an ancient metal tackle box that eventually succumbed to rust.

We get Pelican poo poo at work and I know we have one long gun case laying around. We usually don't carry poo poo that large because it's ancillary to the business at best, and was probably ordered as a favor that someone never fulfilled their end on.

But the markup is kinda crazy after you see vendor prices. Still worth the money.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Feb 15, 2017

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
what kind of work you do spongebob?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The Rat posted:

Finally got the Mini Scout light that I had been waiting on, now the K is fully ready to get bizzay.

Once I can get some nice daylight pics, I'm gonna drop a gigantic fat dump of a box thread in TFR for this and all the other ridiculous poo poo I've gotten in the last few months.

NFA question, did you only have to set up one trust for all of your tax stamp items?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Warehouse monkey for a company that deals mostly with alphabet soup agencies, mil, police, but for our four legged fur monster friends. We don't generally carry things not related to dogs or their jobs, so a long gun case is really odd for our warehouse.

Closest thing to guns otherwise is a starter pistol.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Yeah, just one trust. Have dad and a couple brothers on it too. I went on a splurge about this time last year due to the impending ATF regulation 41P (now 41F) mandating photos and fingerprints for all trust members with any new Form 1/4 applications past 13 Jul 2016.

Not because any of us are shady or have anything to hide, but because getting my family to do anything is like herding cats.

Of course at this point they've eliminated the CLEO approval requirement for individuals doing NFA paperwork, so you don't have a leg up having a trust anymore. Same photo/fingerprint requirement either way.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

If only suppressors weren't illegal here :sigh:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Over the next year sometime I have to take a bodyguard class and a "Tactical pistol" course for work (This state licenses PI's and Physical security under the same license so boss man figures we should get trained up for both) I'm totally using my Bersa Thunder for both courses because then I get to make Archer jokes all day

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

WHAT?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Mawp

Mawp

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

NFA is verboten in CA. No suppressors, no full auto fun. What's not clear is the deal with threaded barrels. I see local shops that have pistols with threaded barrels in their inventory, but the barrel itself appears to be banned as well from what I've read.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

NFA is verboten in CA. No suppressors, no full auto fun. What's not clear is the deal with threaded barrels. I see local shops that have pistols with threaded barrels in their inventory, but the barrel itself appears to be banned as well from what I've read.

I wanna say it's relevant to manufacture date, like you can buy a threaded barrel gun without issue so long as it was made before the ban. I could be wrong, California laws are always a tremendous loving mess.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

That's possible. It's like handguns not on the handgun roster purchased before a certain date can still be sold in private transfer if the transfer happens between two Californians at an FFL's shop.

A bit of public thanks goes to Dead Reckoning for taking the time to PM me about some of this stuff. :glomp:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

It's a joke about hearing loss

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:downsgun:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Nevermind that Pelican case, it's actually a 5.11 case. Looks the same from ten feet down.

Which reminds me, I have a stack of their 2017 catalogs here, need to remember to put one in the bathroom.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Same for Illinois, along with other NFA items

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
all this talk about dumb cali gun laws reminds me of leland yee, who helped champion and pass a lot of those said laws, and was later convicted of gun running and racketeering :raise:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Booblord Zagats posted:

I wanna say it's relevant to manufacture date, like you can buy a threaded barrel gun without issue so long as it was made before the ban. I could be wrong, California laws are always a tremendous loving mess.

Threaded barrels are a no-go on semi autos:

quote:

12276.1 (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.

I don't know what stores you're going to, but I wouldn't touch it. You can't sell someone else an assault weapon, even if you legally owned it prior to the ban.

Plus side: the only reason to have a threaded pistol is for a can, and those are illegal too.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Booblord Zagats posted:

This is apparently not legal in California:

The gun shop that has it keeps listing it to gunbroker hoping someone bids high enough on it because it's just taking up inventory space.

They also feel it is worth at the very least $1000 so lmao good luck guy.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Is it DA? That's something I'm fuzzy on- is DA legal or not in CA?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Is it DA? That's something I'm fuzzy on- is DA legal or not in CA?

It sure is a DA gun! I wonder it's a concern of not being able to pass the drop test or something?

http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/safeguns_resp.asp

Searching this only lists late, late model 27s as being legal. Guess a mid '70s gun is just too drat dangerous for California :ohdear:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Found a P320 for private transfer in the bay area...for $1500. :homebrew: :suicide:

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Found a P320 for private transfer in the bay area...for $1500. :homebrew: :suicide:

:catstare: i like my sig, but that doesnt seem reasonable

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Artificial scarcity be a motherfucker. If I ever have to turn my guns into rent, I'll probably be covering 2 months at a time.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I did a thing guys https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3810535

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:golfclap:

Excellent post, Patrick.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Voted 5.

Rented a used XDS 45 yesterday. Took a while to get used to the trigger, but after I did I got a lot more accurate; I started off really low. Also the first time I've used fiber optic sights...a little different, but quicker to get used to than the trigger. The recoil was kind of surprising, I think because the M&P Shield uses some kind of dark magic to suppress the recoil, so I was expecting something a bit more like that. Logically, of course this little guy is harsher than a full-size 1911.

The Shield wins on price and recoil, the XDS wins on overall comfort, build quality (the Shield I shot was brand new but felt as rattley as the most beat-to-gently caress M9 I ever qualified on), ease of magazine loading, and Springfield's giving away 4 mags with any 45 purchase for the next couple of months.

I think I'm still leaning toward the Springfield. Once I got used to the trigger and the recoil, I found myself enjoying it. Definitely going to need to practice, whichever one I end up with.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

:five:

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Do you have a job

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Bought a P226 in .40 today. Now waiting ten days.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Great full sized handgun. Love mine dearly.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Zeris posted:

Do you have a job

Well yeah, how else would I afford to feed all this poo poo?

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

:getin: welcome to the p226 club

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

What ammunition do you guys like for 40? I've mostly shot Federal and Remington for long guns. Federal gets kind of expensive.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
More CT annoyances: (entirely bureaucratic) waiting periods on issuing pistol permits.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

M_Gargantua posted:

More CT annoyances: (entirely bureaucratic) waiting periods on issuing pistol permits.
wait until they jack up the permit fee by literally 400%

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

What ammunition do you guys like for 40? I've mostly shot Federal and Remington for long guns. Federal gets kind of expensive.

Feeding .40 tends to be a bitch. You've always got your winchester and magtech, which is usually cheap as poo poo (relatively) but it's not great. Nosler goes on sale a lot and is a good middle ground between the two when it is on sale.

I don't use .40 specifically but it's the same for .45 and 9mm so I don't see why .40 should be much different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

I was going to recommend The Purp, calibrated to mimic the 180gn HST Homeland Security contract load, but it's out of stock again. Outdoorlimited still has it, but I've never bought from them.

If you're down with buying reloads, LAX Ammo and Freedom Muntions both sell factory remans at the 20c/round price point, Freedom is probably cheaper since LAX charges sales tax within CA. You can also get a new customer free shipping thing from Freedom, IIRC.

Past that, there is Winchester White Box at 24c/rnd from a bunch of places, pick whichever gives you the best quote on shipping.