Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Who did he even buy it from? Those posts make it sound like he bought it from the cafe he works for somehow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Well my law degree from the School of Hard Knocks says finders keepers, ya honor.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Turns out that gaf poster who had that broken street date Switch was actually stolen from somewhere when he bought it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1345365

tl;dr Nintendo took that poo poo back and dude is out of his money buying hot merchandise.

Guy has changed his story a few times on how he got it and has also tried to pawn it off to someone else. Lol

Cojawfee posted:

Who did he even buy it from? Those posts make it sound like he bought it from the cafe he works for somehow?

He stole it himself and got caught. He's changed his story a few times from "A retailer shipped mine early" to "a friend of a friend got it and sold it to me and oh no we totally didn't know it was stolen until it was too late!!"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Cojawfee posted:

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if he himself stole it(Generally if you buy a console from a dude you don't instantly go to sell it, he was trying to sell it on Reddit before he posted that video). But yeah. He originally said he got it delivered early. Then he said bought it from someone at his cafe. He changed his story a bunch tho.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

He claims he didn't buy it from someone shady, but the alternative is it materialising in his home one day.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

koolkal posted:

Sucks for him but he apparently lacks the balls to do anything about it

haha owned hard

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Guy has changed his story a few times on how he got it and has also tried to pawn it off to someone else. Lol

Yeah, this guy's posting is all over the place the deeper in I read. I just gave up and gave him benefit of the doubt. :lol:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Nintendo apparently didn't care enough to prosecute once they got it back. As he's still posting and not in jail. So they believed whatever he told them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Even if he didn't steal it himself, he definitely got it through unofficial means and had to know it wasn't on the level.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

s.i.r.e. posted:

I was just referencing how people are already not going to use major key features of the Switch. If they made a budget model I still think it'd be portable first and foremost. I get where you're coming from but I totally see Nintendo releasing more models (upgraded/affordable) down the line, but definitely not anytime soon. The Switch has a lot of features I'm sure that 90% of the games will hardly use and I think most developers are going to develop alternate controls for the Pro controller anyway so I don't think many titles would be unplayable on a Switch with certain features cut. It'd be tricky figuring out what to cut exactly but I see Nintendo doing it somewhere down the line.

I agree with this, but where we differ I think is a distinction between things they never should have invested in in the first place (HD rumble for example) vs things they can save significant costs in the future without harming their console and its games. To cut HD rumble they would have to make sure their games moving forward don't use it, and write off the in-development games that do. And the end result would be saving an unclear but probably not large amount of money on Joycons. You think maybe $10 per pair? That problem is magnified immensely if you're talking about abandoning motion or single-joycon controls in favor of a device that basically only uses Pro controls. There are going to be games that use only pro controls, but given how central the idea of sharing the joycons is for multi-player, I don't see how you omit that completely without fracturing the playerbase.

You could make a portable-only Switch, but that's basically just a Switch without a dock. I wouldn't be surprised by a more powerful/compact Switch Plus in the future, but I don't see a path to such a device that omits TV output for a significant cost savings. You could definitely make a home-only Switch. That's the most realistic option, and it's possible demand and Nintendo's own goals will align in a way that makes that possible. Given the continued rise of mobile gaming, particularly in Japan, and Nintendo's own strengths, I don't think that's something they'll aim for unless the Switch REALLY bombs and they've got a 3DS successor waiting in the wings.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 18, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

If anything the Budget Model should just be a box with that hardware in it, without a battery touch screen or anything besides the console.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

the entire console is built around joycons. they're not ever going to release a non modular switch.

a switch that doesn't switch, jfc

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

well why not posted:

the entire console is built around joycons. they're not ever going to release a non modular switch.

a switch that doesn't switch, jfc

If I never take the switch out of the dock, I still use the Joycons. The Wii was a box with motion control remotes too. I still put the joycons onto the grip and take them off when you'd play games that just need the joycon.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
They used to say the same thing about the kinect

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The touchscreen is going to end up being very important, i don't think they'd be wise to sacrifice it and force devs to write 2 sets of code.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

well why not posted:

The touchscreen is going to end up being very important, i don't think they'd be wise to sacrifice it and force devs to write 2 sets of code.

If the touch screen is that important then they have fuuuuuucked up from the jump. I will probably take this thing out of the dock like maybe once or twice a year.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

s.i.r.e. posted:

Well it could be just as powerful, but they could cut costs since the sides of it wouldn't need their own separate batteries so you could just have a larger one in the device so it would last longer. You also wouldn't need the wireless in the joycons since they'd be stuck to the console. HD rumble could probably be replaced with standard rumble and you wouldn't need the IR pointer anymore. They could even remove the cartridge port and make it digital only if they wanted to. I could see Nintendo doing something like this because this is what I want them to do.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I think it depends on the country where Bomberman is a good choice in Australia given we don't get Isaac or Puyo Puyo at or near launch. Nintendo is also super loving silent on what will be digital.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Hammer Bro. posted:

I'm pretty much in agreement with goon sentiment on all the desirable titles except Splatoon (2) -- I'm aware of it and under the impression that it's meritorious, but I'm not excited by it.

Is there anything particularly compelling about it from the generally single-player-offline perspective or should I just accept it's not my bag and be happy with the multiple games I am enthused about?

The single player is good and fun but not worth full price. If you can get it used for like $10-15 yeah sure. No one knows what the sequel's will be like.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Heh, imagine how low the price point would be if nintendo removed all the buttons except for a right arrow and a jump button. loving idiots put too many features on the console and it's too expensive as a result. It doesn't even need a screen you can just play by sound. loving complete morons.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Serious question, how are you people carrying around these giant USB battery packs? Is this a normal thing people do now to power their phones? I'd never heard of them before this thread and it seems like it would be a lot easier to just carry the charger than haul a sack of batteries around.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Serious question, how are you people carrying around these giant USB battery packs? Is this a normal thing people do now to power their phones? I'd never heard of them before this thread and it seems like it would be a lot easier to just carry the charger than haul a sack of batteries around.

They aren't all that big. If you have a backpack, you can just throw it in there no problem. I don't keep one with my to charge my phone or anything because I just make sure my phone is charged up before I leave. My battery pack is a manageable size and it has 16800mah. That's enough to fully charge my Switch almost 4 times.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

For some people they carry them everywhere because they are heavy users. I bring one on vacation so I can be assured I will always have a charge for my phone. It's very helpful when using the phone a lot for maps or other info.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

I have a 4000mwh one that's about the size of a pack of cigarettes but with 1/3rd the thickness. they arent giant

e: banana for scale

Setset fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 19, 2017

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
My girlfriend just got one that looks like Totoro. It made her so happy that I didn't bitch about not getting one with fast charging. It is pretty darn cute, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXHhitZiA5Y&t=127s

pinkacidbootson
Apr 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Starting to see adverts on TV for the Switch. It shows the party games including pretend cow milking and pretend shaking a bottle of fizzy liquid. Looks like incredible fun where everyone can make rude motions with their hands at varying speed.

e:

Bird Law posted:

Eat that drat banana.

This could also be one of the mini-games.

pinkacidbootson fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 19, 2017

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.
Eat that drat banana.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
Lol i came here to also say eat the banana

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Thank for the gangtag, Switcheroos!

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
i hope that person ends up in jail

snograt
Jul 18, 2013

rattus rattus
senile old twattus

PerrineClostermann posted:

Read the product description again. It _is_ a C-C charger, but the cable is faulty and shouldn't be used to charge anything but the device itself. If this is the same bank I remember looking at a few months back, a review goes in depth in explaining it.

Bah, reading comprehension fail.

I saw this bit:

Amazoinks posted:

MacBook Compatibility: In addition to standard functionality, USB-C port makes it compatible with the new MacBook 2015/2016 (not MacBook Pro), charging at 5V/3A. Note: Included USB-C cable can only be used to recharge PowerCore+.

...and assumed it meant any c cable could only be used to recharge the unit. So we're saying they're knowingly selling it with a dud cable? There oughtta be a law :colbert:

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

My girlfriend just got one that looks like Totoro. It made her so happy that I didn't bitch about not getting one with fast charging. It is pretty darn cute, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXHhitZiA5Y&t=127s

I was going to say that I couldn't see myself wearing a backpack around just for Switch batteries but I'll definitely consider a Batman style utility belt full of these.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/833136863565197312

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Don't gently caress with the Switch.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Cartoon Man posted:

Don't gently caress with the Switch.

Looks like Sony isn't heeding this advice.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Of all the companies to try to steal something to resell before release Nintendo is like one of the top of DO NOT. They're like Liam Neeson from Taken but with video games

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 19, 2017

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Better yet someone actually had a Switch in their hands and had to gently caress it up by being an imbecile.

I assume a stolen Switch is probably all but useless anyway if any games require even the tiniest update.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

The Bloop posted:

Better yet someone actually had a Switch in their hands and had to gently caress it up by being an imbecile.

I assume a stolen Switch is probably all but useless anyway if any games require even the tiniest update.

I suppose if Nintendo knew the serials of all the missing Switches and banned them from online.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Went to the Chicago Preview event today from an invite only event, so I didn't have to do the public one tomorrow. I will say that the overall experience was fantastic. I rarely had to wait any longer to play a game than letting the previous group finish their turn. Zelda had a ticket system to get to play it, and it was 20 minutes at a time. I figured since it was the only game I was buying, I'd wait to play it in 2 weeks and skip over it.

My thoughts on the games I played....

Arms was really fun, though I feel like there is a lot of depth to the game and just didn't have enough time to fully explore it. Played about 5 rounds on it. I went from not very interested to MIGHT get this game when it comes out, depending on more info.

Splatoon 2 was great, and reminded me to go back to playing it on the Wii U again. I played it twice, once with the handheld only and again with the pro controller and solo TV screen. So 4 turf war games total. It took some adjusting to not being able to see the map at all times on the Game Pad. I was disappointed that I couldn't touch the screen on the handheld mode to do the super jump thing. Gyro controls felt great on both handheld and pro controller.

Mario Kart 8 was interesting, because they had so many ways to play the game. There was an airplane seat setup where it was 2 player split screen using the Joy Con only, doing a solo race. 2 player split screen on battle mode. 1 player solo race using just the system in handheld mode. Then handheld mode linked with other people. It felt like the same ole Mario Kart to me TBH, but realizing how nice it was in handheld mode really sold me on buying this game again. It looked gorgeous and played really nice. It was also nice having some subtle rumble feedback in the game.

Fast RMX was surprisingly great. If we can't get F-Zero, I guess this will do. Did it as a 2-player split screen mode.

1-2 Switch was a 3 game demo, with the marble game, milk, and the quick draw game. This was cool just to experience the HD rumble, it actually feels like there are marbles rolling around in that thing, it's crazy. The other games were as expected, kind of lame and not worth the full price.

Snipper Clips was surprisingly fun, and instantly sold on the game. I am just wondering what the 1 player mode will be like and the final price

Other than that, everything else was as expected. Like they had Street Fighter and Bomberman there, but it didn't really sell me on getting either of those. I played Has Been Heroes and was disappointed with it. I guess it doesn't help that I don't like those types of games, but the guy was basically telling me what to do the whole time and I just wasn't into it. I had no interest in playing Tetris, Just Dance, Disgaea 5, or Skylanders. But they were all there.

As for the controllers, I think I played with all of them in every combination. The Joy Con Grip felt really lightweight and natural. If you are torn about getting a Pro Controller just for a game like Zelda, I think that the Joycon Grip that is provided is going to be just fine. It was really light, and I THINK it wasn't the charging grip, but it just felt lightweight in my hands which was nice. In comparison, the Pro Controller felt HEAVY, especially when compared to the Joy Cons in the controller grip. But it was fine and not a deal breaker, and if it has a huge battery in there, then great. Felt natural having the gyro in there too. I was actually sold on the Pro Controller and ordered one after using it, which I'll get to in a moment.

Using just the Joy Cons, it's completely different depending on which game you are playing. Arms felt natural holding it sideways, even if the joycons felt a little small and cheap, for that purpose with one in each hand it was great. I think the wrist strap attachment helps with it feeling like there are some actual L and R buttons. For Mario Kart 8 I just didn't like using the solo joy con. Without the wrist strap, the buttons for items and sliding were so tiny. It was usable, but I preferred using the Pro Controller for a game like that. I actually got to use the Wheel accessory with motion controls, but you could totally ignore them and just use the joystick too and switch back and forth which was neat. That said... I think the solo Joy Con is fine in the situation of some impromtu gaming and you happen to have 2 controllers on the console. It was fine for stuff like Bomberman too. But if I was having a sit down multiplayer session for a long period of time, I'd feel bad giving somebody the lovely joy con to get by.

So I figured... get a Pro Controller. It gives me 2 good controllers for 2 player gaming (Joycons/Grip + Pro Controller), plus 3 controllers for when the situation comes up. I'll don't even think I'll get another set of Joy Cons unless I absolutely need them. It just felt unnecessary. Arms doesn't even require them, because someone could use the Pro Controller in 2 person mode.

Overall, great experience, and being able to play some of the games in different situations (Console vs. Handheld) REALLY sole me on this system

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

God I hope Trump doesn't hire Nintendo to find White House leakers.

How you get that sweet gang tag?

• Locked thread