Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Listening to Hannity talk about how good Trump's press conference was made me feel uncomfortable. It was bad enough that Trump gave a surreal rant at anyone he could lash out against, now someone is telling me that it was actually good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Maher is and always has been trash. When people act like he is the leftwing counter to every right wing maniac it really pisses me off and I wish he would get canceled and forgotten about.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

LeeMajors posted:

If I could fight any public figure, it'd be Hannity. I'm not sure there's another person on the planet I'd get actual sexual pleasure from stomping into the ground. Just a garbage human. No redeeming qualities. Bad, bad person.
I would like to see if he good spin an rear end-kicking in progress. "The left *ouch* is just hypo *gently caress* critical. they *pow* a*smack* re the real fascists!"

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Radish posted:

Maher is and always has been trash. When people act like he is the leftwing counter to every right wing maniac it really pisses me off and I wish he would get canceled and forgotten about.

I enjoy Maher from time to time but as of late he's been a real dick. Milo an actual troll and deserves no stage time.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Radish posted:

Anyone who acts -that- upset about treating people with dignity has some serious problems.

That being said, he directs that poo poo at the right people enough that I can kind of white wash him as a liberal comedian.

However, with trans issues and immigration being thrust to the forefront of American civil discourse he's officially camped himself with the alt-right ilk and that's pretty unforgivable.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Listening to Hannity talk about how good Trump's press conference was made me feel uncomfortable. It was bad enough that Trump gave a surreal rant at anyone he could lash out against, now someone is telling me that it was actually good.

And then later, after having time to cool down and collect his thoughts... Trump essentially tweets "L'état, c'est moi!"

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Radish posted:

Definitely proof of the horseshoe.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I know it's been over in this thread before, but it's really not the horseshoe. Maher's liberal cred basically begins and ends at opposing Bush. He's what a moderate Republican would look like if the party hadn't completely gone off the rails into crazy town.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/LifeSite/status/832779927967588358

She refused to insert an IUD

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Would she also refuse to administer an abortion if the pregnancy was threatening the mothers life?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Chilichimp posted:

Would she also refuse to administer an abortion if the pregnancy was threatening the mothers life?

A true Christian would give the mother holy water and dust to abort the baby.
After all thats the potion used in the Bible in Numbers 5:11-31

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Tab8715 posted:

Rush says he likes Trump but if you listen to him you'll feel the hesitation in his voice.

Rush kind of defends Trump but like a lot of right-wing political cartoonists, he's definitely turned more towards "Liberals are unhinged/MSM is bad" than "Trump is good." He talks a lot about how liberals are bad and destructive and it's unfair to Trump but is rarely actively defending Trump.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I know it's been over in this thread before, but it's really not the horseshoe. Maher's liberal cred basically begins and ends at opposing Bush. He's what a moderate Republican would look like if the party hadn't completely gone off the rails into crazy town.

You're delusional if you think his particular brand of fundamentalist atheism isn't a liberal thing.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Yeah, Maher spouts plenty of actual leftist stuff if you watch the whole show. But I personally struggle to get through his bits where he's being lovely about Islam or PC stuff. Though I think he did have a point about liberals tearing themselves apart over dumb poo poo instead of focusing on beating the other side, the way conservatives have been doing pretty much since 1980.

I'm just glad Last Week Tonight is back because now I can go back to forgetting that Maher's show exists.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Rush is really good at what he does. He advocates for america and leaves politicians as the solution. He doesn't advocate for politicians alone, it is always tied to the focus. So, he is free to pivot without being tied down to anyone person. His proofs are what makes him hard to refute if you function on limited information.

America is in danger
because immigrants come here illegally
liberals want to let them in
conservatives want to build a wall

It makes sense in a certain child logic kind of way. He creates these devious wedges where you have to educate someone from top to bottom or argue with emotional reactions. The left cannot do this. Maybe gay marriage was the only time by presenting it as equality (which is obviously always good). But Rush does this day in and day out. Emotional appeals and "logic" will always win over facts.

Maher is like the only the left person that will get rude with the right. He doesn't flinch. He doesn't snort. He just says 'you're an idiot' in a way that resonates with dumb people. Then he laughs at people. Maher is a good enough Rush. He's wrong a lot but the left makes perfect the enemy of the good too much.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

TildeATH posted:

You're delusional if you think his particular brand of fundamentalist atheism isn't a liberal thing.

Wars of choice in the middle east and torturing people -- you are deluded if you don't think these are liberal things.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Chilichimp posted:

Probably and much worse.

Reminder don't go to "religious" hospitals.

Also reminder Hannity unlikely most talking heads is in 100% control of his tweets and will probably take the bait if you troll him. And he's a giant pussy for chickening out of getting waterboarded.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
It's so disheartening that so many people just ate up the term "fake news" like good little Republicans and are super proud of Trump for going back to the old ways and finally standing up to the media the other day.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
Less a current RWM topic and more a thought exercise: supposing Trump dies in office without having been impeached... what's the party line for obituaries or a funereal address?

They're caught in an awkward position because Donald isn't eloquent, handsome, charming, brilliant, knowledgeable, noble, kind or professional. He's a lovely forwarded email from your dumb racist uncle, given human form. It strikes me as an incredible burden for spin-masters and speechwriters. Do they just cop-out and say "He wanted to make America great again, perhaps there were a few hidden aces up those sleeves" or what?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

sweart gliwere posted:

Less a current RWM topic and more a thought exercise: supposing Trump dies in office without having been impeached... what's the party line for obituaries or a funereal address?

They're caught in an awkward position because Donald isn't eloquent, handsome, charming, brilliant, knowledgeable, noble, kind or professional. He's a lovely forwarded email from your dumb racist uncle, given human form. It strikes me as an incredible burden for spin-masters and speechwriters. Do they just cop-out and say "He wanted to make America great again, perhaps there were a few hidden aces up those sleeves" or what?

Warren G Harding died in the midst of a horribly corrupt administration that he never seemed to get a handle on, so that's a useful comparison, I guess. Here's the New York Times obituary for him: http://starship.python.net/crew/manus/Presidents/wgh/wghobit.html

You'll notice it says very little about Harding's administration or attributes, and mostly focuses on describing the circumstances of the death.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Yeah but this took place in Norway, I imagine their government wouldn't tolerate religious nutter bullshit arguments in court.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Radish posted:

I'm fine with saying Maher is the "left wing _______" as long as the person who says it then acknowledges that Maher is relegated to late night premium cable once a week, doesn't even pretend his show is news, and most liberals either don't know who he is or hate him.

So like, if the statement is "Bill Maher is the left wing Bill O'Reilly" the follow up should be "Why the gently caress do you give O'Reilly so much attention and respect, then?"

Of course then there's the basic question of "Is Maher actually liberal?" but if I'm already having this argument I'm guessing the person on the other side will never be able to see the nuance of that.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

She refused to insert an IUD
This poo poo pisses me off because it is so out of character for conservatives. I am a vegetarian. I am also a cook. If I refused to cook meat, what would happen? I would be fired because I could not reliably do what the job entails. Not a single one of them would stand up for me.

Then, you have a person in a medical profession, who may or may not do part of their job, depending on their current interpretation of a cryptic document. They are so incredibly lucky that religion is a protected class, because under normal circumstances "person who may or may not execute the duties of their profession" would be shown the door the second they doubted that she would do her job reliably.

ed: yes, it took place in Norway. In the US, she'd keep her job and make a killing off her go fund me.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I wouldn't go that far. Just because he doesn't meet some D&D standard of ideological purity doesn't make him some trash garbage right winger. He's just an old pothead comedian. He says dumb jokes. He has a handful of more conservative views but mostly liberal. I mean he's been a board member of PETA since the 90s.

I'll watch his show now and then and might be entertained by it for like 30 minutes in a week. That's the extent of my relationship with Bill Maher. There's been quite a few Maher derails in this thread and it's funny how upset some people on this forum get over him. Like this guy:

Radish posted:

Like, lol

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
He was a big libertarian during the Politically Incorrect years, well before Bush was in office.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kenzie posted:

I wouldn't go that far. Just because he doesn't meet some D&D standard of ideological purity doesn't make him some trash garbage right winger. He's just an old pothead comedian. He says dumb jokes. He has a handful of more conservative views but mostly liberal. I mean he's been a board member of PETA since the 90s.

You're not explaining how this makes him not a trash garbage right winger. All being a member of PETA says is that you're an idiot.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I don't think Maher's politics have changed dramatically over the years. I watched him a lot more and agreed with him a lot more in my early 20s, but its probably pretty safe to say that I was a little more "liberterian" in my youth and it was me who grew up and changed his politics to be more liberal. I'm guessing a lot of people followed that path with him.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

temple posted:

Maher is like the only the left person that will get rude with the right. He doesn't flinch. He doesn't snort. He just says 'you're an idiot' in a way that resonates with dumb people. Then he laughs at people. Maher is a good enough Rush. He's wrong a lot but the left makes perfect the enemy of the good too much.

Nah that's Keith Olbermann. Maher is sympathetic to at least a little of the rights rhetoric and can swallow the bile people like Coulter and Milo put out. Olbermann is literally calling for Donald Trump to be arrested at the moment.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

I like how he thinks such a tepid burn is a space dunk.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

You're not explaining how this makes him not a trash garbage right winger. All being a member of PETA says is that you're an idiot.

Yeah don't mistake being a member of PETA for being liberal it's a whole different animal, like being a hardcore Scientologist or something

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Aesop Poprock posted:

Nah that's Keith Olbermann. Maher is sympathetic to at least a little of the rights rhetoric and can swallow the bile people like Coulter and Milo put out. Olbermann is literally calling for Donald Trump to be arrested at the moment.

maher was also fuckbuddies with coulter at one point, so there's that

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Faustian Bargain posted:

I like how he thinks such a tepid burn is a space dunk.

That's the first rule of comedy; timing is everything. It was probably hilarious in the moment.

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
i'll tell you what, i'm in the wrong thread. oops.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Muppets On PCP posted:

maher was also fuckbuddies with coulter at one point, so there's that

Wow that wasn't a mental image I ever needed

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Aesop Poprock posted:

Wow that wasn't a mental image I ever needed

world war z of all things had a brief reference to it:

quote:

There was the political comedy guy, you know, the one with the show. He was snorting
blow between the air bags of this teeny Thai stripper while spewing about how what was
happening wasn't just about the living versus the dead, it would send shock waves
through every facet of our society: social, economic, political, even environmental. He
said that, subconsciously, everyone already knew the truth during the "Great Denial," and
that's why they wigged out so hard when the story was finally broken. It all
actually kinda made sense, until he started spewing about high fructose corn syrup and
the feminization of America

quote:

I stepped over Mister Political Comedy Guy on my way out to the beach. He and this
chick, this leathery old blonde who I thought was supposed to be his political enemy,
were goin' at it like there was no tomorrow, and, hey, maybe for them, there wasn't.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Kenzie posted:

The deal-breaker with Maher has always been his persistent Islamophobia and alignment with the New Atheists. Having Milo on leans into that in a really bad way.

He's also super classist, elitist and snobby, which is what always turned me off. His comic persona is like the dictionary definition of "out of touch liberal douchebag".

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The thing about Maher's islamophobia is that he's basically always painted every religious person in the world as a dangerous, crazy, evil, rear end in a top hat.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Periodiko posted:

The deal-breaker with Maher has always been his persistent Islamophobia and alignment with the New Atheists. Having Milo on leans into that in a really bad way.

He's also super classist, elitist and snobby, which is what always turned me off. His comic persona is like the dictionary definition of "out of touch liberal douchebag".

Like him or not, "out of touch liberal douchebag" is a much better way to describe him than trying to label him as some kind of right winger or something. Can you identify any right wing conservative PETA supporters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kenzie posted:

Like him or not, "out of touch liberal douchebag" is a much better way to describe him than trying to label him as some kind of right winger or something. Can you identify any right wing conservative PETA supporters?

Bill Maher, a man who is a huge loving islamophobe and general idiot.