Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

IGN and gamespot both gave the game 8/10 in case anyone cares.

I don't think anyone has given a poo poo about IGN reviews in years.

Actual footage of your average ign review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrQkEg-Dpvk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I think my absolute favorite thing about this game is that playing with and against bots is fun as hell and actually still allows progression and unlocks. If the multiplayer balance turns to poo poo, who cares? I'm good! It's rare for developers to do bots properly nowadays.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harrow posted:

I made the mistake of not playing in the open beta, but some reviews from reviewers I trust have me interested in giving this a try. Two questions:

1. Let's assume I'm crap at traditional fighting games. How steep of a learning curve should I expect going into For Honor?

2. How hard does For Honor push its microtransactions? I've seen anything from "pay-to-win" to "it's pretty unobtrusive right now" so I'm not sure what the actual situation is.

1. Its not nearly as deep as most fighting games, there's fewer moves and the absolute longest combos in the game are like 4 moves, some characters only have combos 2 moves long.

But... there's definitely a long learning curve. Its a skill based game like CS:GO. That's the whole point of the game. If you're observant though, you can watch several in-game videos that explain things well, and pick things up pretty fast. And you'll learn more and more as you go, and it really does feel very very satisfying.

I've always kinda liked fighting games but never been really great at them; I can hadoken and dragon punch on command in street fighter and combo them okay, but against a real player the longest combos I can do under pressure are half as long as the really competitive players. But For Honor... its like exactly what I've always wanted. The closest thing I can think of is Bushido Blade, where everything is really wicked lethal...

2. You can buy all kinds of cosmetic poo poo with microtransactions; but honestly if you play every day you will earn a very respectable amount of in-game credits and you can use those to buy everything. There is nothing I can remember that actually requires you to spend money, everything can be earned with grinding. But if you want pretty stuff today, well, that's where they make their money. But in return, everybody gets free map packs and free game mode updates. Also new characters will be available for in-game money. We don't know how expensive they'll be, but you can already play with characters you haven't unlocked, and unlocking the existing characters is very cheap. The game gives you enough credits just for playing the tutorial to unlock just about everybody already. Its very forgiving.

Honestly I don't think I'll ever feel pressured to pay for micros. There's a poo poo-ton of cosmetics you earn just for playing the game and leveling up, AND you earn in-game credits to buy the other stuff too! But its definitely there, if you want to buy things or if you get put off by that even being in the game.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Just had another 17 kill game with no rewards thanks to mass rage quitting crashing the whole game. Sigh

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I automatically assume the people that say 1v1 and 2v2 are the only "real" modes and everything else is trash are the same types that play Super Smash Bros only on Final Destination with no items.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

panda clue posted:

I don't think anyone has given a poo poo about IGN reviews in years.

Actual footage of your average ign review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrQkEg-Dpvk

Informed people may not care (rightfully) but big sites giving it high marks isn't irrelevant.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Just had another 17 kill game with no rewards thanks to mass rage quitting crashing the whole game. Sigh

That and the whole "rewards server not responding" after a match are the only things that keep me from wanting to play this game 24/7.

Fix your poo poo Ubisoft!

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Floppychop posted:

I automatically assume the people that say 1v1 and 2v2 are the only "real" modes and everything else is trash are the same types that play Super Smash Bros only on Final Destination with no items.

People diss this, but Items loving suck in Super Smash Bros, and the allowed maps were greatly expanded.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Turtlicious posted:

Items loving suck in Super Smash Bros

:eyepop:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

People diss this, but Items loving suck in Super Smash Bros, and the allowed maps were greatly expanded.

:yikes:

panda clue
May 23, 2014
I also didn't like items in smash. Didn't realize that was some controversial opinion?

Informed people may not care (rightfully) but big sites giving it high marks isn't irrelevant.

IGN gives high marks to who pays them the most advertising money. For them at least it is irrelevant.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

Items are the entire point of SSB.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

+ Constant Unlocks
- Exposition Dialog

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Floppychop posted:

Items are the entire point of SSB.

That doesn't mean they're not garbage? Like people hate Mario Kart for the same reason, no-one goes

:eyepop:You don't like blue shells?!~?!:eyepop:
:yikes:
:nexus:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Trap sprung I guess.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Turtlicious posted:

people hate Mario Kart

Just when you think a thread can't sink any lower....

panda clue
May 23, 2014
ABORT ABORT ABORT

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Indecisive posted:

+ Constant Unlocks
- Exposition Dialog

I'm asking what non-dialog exposition looks like the next time I talk to Mister IGN.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Has anyone had success playing this game through Steam Link? I nearly had a rage induced aneurysm last night trying to figure out why I couldn't block, parry or react for poo poo until I realized the Link was adding input lag that made the game unplayable. This wasn't a problem with the beta, which is really weird.

Also am I just a moron or is there literally no way to rebind controls on a gamepad? The UI is a joke so I guess its entirely possible I missed the menu for it. I'd love to move guard break to like LB or right stick or something so I can rest my old, palsied fingers on it. As it is, I simply don't have the reaction speed to counter unless I'm responding to a pattern.

Songbearer posted:

Finally on an upward trend with my 0.50 kdr, something clicked and I'm fighting confidently and winning plenty of fights now...

Except because I've played so badly since release, my matchmaking score must be rock bottom in 1v1s because it's literally placing me against new players, who I'm stomping into the dust. It's fine when playing with friends because their matchmaking scores are fairly high so we fight competent people, but on my end it's not especially fun or enlightening to stamp on newbies so I hope it clears up soon :smith:

I wonder if this is why I get clowned constantly in 1v1s. I mean, don't get me wrong I'm absolutely terrible, just the worst really, but it would be cool to play people at my level so I can practice without being instantly annihilated. It can't be fun for the other guy either. Hopefully the matchmaking gets fixed.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Avail posted:

PC player. Should I be using 2 or 3 fingers on the mouse for counter guard break responsiveness?

I'd like to know the optional way before I really start and get used to something sub optimal.

Today I've followed the goonmind advice and I've remapped keys as follows:
- GB: spacebar
- Dodge/Jump: shift
- Sprint: MMB
I've also mapped full block mode from C to Q.

I've been playing Conqueror with this setup and I really like compared to the default one. Also Conqueror rocks when you play against people that don't feint. Does anyone know what's causing some parries to lash out with an heavy attack automatically? I've noticed it says "it causes counterattacks during the wind-up phase", but I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean. My wind-up? Theirs?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Hey, is champion status even worth it?

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

panda clue posted:

I also didn't like items in smash. Didn't realize that was some controversial opinion?

IGN gives high marks to who pays them the most advertising money. For them at least it is irrelevant.

If you gonna IGN shame you shoulda picked like, that xtreme beach volleyball review or something, advanced warfare was legit fantastic.

Fargin Icehole posted:

Hey, is champion status even worth it?

If you plan on playing a bunch in the days you have it active, yeah sure it is.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

That Italian Guy posted:

Today I've followed the goonmind advice and I've remapped keys as follows:
- GB: spacebar
- Dodge/Jump: shift
- Sprint: MMB
I've also mapped full block mode from C to Q.

I've been playing Conqueror with this setup and I really like compared to the default one. Also Conqueror rocks when you play against people that don't feint. Does anyone know what's causing some parries to lash out with an heavy attack automatically? I've noticed it says "it causes counterattacks during the wind-up phase", but I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean. My wind-up? Theirs?

That's your superior block attribute. Basically if you get hit at just the right moment during the wind-up of a heavy attack, it'll automatically block the enemy attack while allowing yours to go through unhindered. If you combine it with your heavy wind-up, it's extremely powerful. The Warlord and Valkyrie have the same thing going on, though for them it's only for light attacks.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Donnerberg posted:

I'm asking what non-dialog exposition looks like the next time I talk to Mister IGN.

Saints Row

edit: Double Dragon

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 19, 2017

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I think the big changes that need to be made are:

-1v1 round time goes down to like 1:30.
-1v1 gives the player with the most health the win at a time out.
-Parry window on light attacks is a lot smaller or is removed entirely.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

fadam posted:

I think the big changes that need to be made are:

-1v1 gives the player with the most health the win at a time out.

Gross, why?

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

fadam posted:

-Parry window on light attacks is a lot smaller or is removed entirely.

As someone who just faced a round against a coordinated light attacks only rushdown gank squad this is a godawful idea.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Because its pretty retarded how if you're one hit away from death you can run away to a ledge and just camp it and basically force a tie. There's a reason why every fighting game has a round timer and time outs.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Anyone know what the exclamation warning mark below a character in character select means?

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 19, 2017

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

I think my absolute favorite thing about this game is that playing with and against bots is fun as hell and actually still allows progression and unlocks. If the multiplayer balance turns to poo poo, who cares? I'm good! It's rare for developers to do bots properly nowadays.

Just want to reiterate on this. Not only did hard mode campaign have perfect blocking, parried and some deflects. Later enemies started feinting and following up as well as switch up combos into guard breaks.
It was certainly harder than any player i ran into in the open beta. And honestly some of them were better than me, i cheesed the warden by walking around that big tree and regenerating health.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

fadam posted:

uh, no?

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*

SweetBro posted:

Anyone know what the exclamation warning mark below a character in character select means?

60/60 gear drops in your inventory

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Dosvidanya posted:

Oh ew, who gear.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Dosvidanya posted:

How is this even a thing that happens.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

TastyLemonDrops posted:

database space

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

fadam posted:

Because its pretty retarded how if you're one hit away from death you can run away to a ledge and just camp it and basically force a tie. There's a reason why every fighting game has a round timer and time outs.

If they made it how you would suggest it would only encourage people to do this after they got marginal damage on someone. And it would be easier with a shorter round time as well.

If someone runs to a ledge your guard break counter is enough to push them off. So just do that?

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

fadam posted:

This isn't enough time for tank vs tank fights.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I don't give a poo poo about gear because I only play duels.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

fadam posted:

I've noticed this today for the first time while fighting a Warden on my Conqueror. He would regenerate enough life so that my parry>GB>heavy routine would leave him with a sliver of health, then run away to regen again. He would then try to get chip damage in with his zone/sprint mixup(one from the right, the other from the left so that I couldn't just keep an easy block for the zone), then escape again to recover after the first parry>GB>heavy.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

SweetBro posted:

I don't give a poo poo about gear because I only play duels.

but fashion