Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I mean the exchanges can have some legit good deals. I bought a 15" Macbook Pro at the Navy Exchange this Christmas and saved over $500 off the normal price and got another $80 in rewards for the purchase. Although the online stores for the exchanges are going to be open to veterans now, so tax free electronics at good prices. :toot:

Moot point though now, it turns out that I have no IRR obligation remaining so as of the effective date of my separation orders, I am 100% out of the military. As much as I don't like the idiocy and bureaucracy of the military, it's such a defining part of your life that it's sort of difficult to just walk away completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

DoktorLoken posted:

I mean the exchanges can have some legit good deals. I bought a 15" Macbook Pro at the Navy Exchange this Christmas and saved over $500 off the normal price and got another $80 in rewards for the purchase. Although the online stores for the exchanges are going to be open to veterans now, so tax free electronics at good prices. :toot:

Moot point though now, it turns out that I have no IRR obligation remaining so as of the effective date of my separation orders, I am 100% out of the military. As much as I don't like the idiocy and bureaucracy of the military, it's such a defining part of your life that it's sort of difficult to just walk away completely.

Your HR officer could fix that "no IRR" thing in a jiffy if you want.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Hmm, how so?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

DoktorLoken posted:

Hmm, how so?

By amending your discharge to transfer you to the IRR. You'll probably need to do a letter requesting it.

I don't know what you're rank is, or what level of command you are at, but it isn't terribly difficult.

First step is talking to your HR person about it.

*edit* And then get smart on the IRR retirement. You can still get a 20 year retirement from the IRR.

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 18, 2017

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I was told an IRR transfer isn't possible because I have no time remaining on my contract; this came from my state's G1. I'm mid level M-Day enlisted in the ARNG, so it's not like I can just walk 100 miles to S1 and have them figure it out and even then, I have doubts about people taking the effort to actually do anything to assist at this point. That was sort of my idea if I did the IRR route, finding the easiest way possible to get a good year.

On the other hand, I'm almost done with my degree so trying to do similar work as a civilian government employee is realistically probably a better course of action than keeping the door open on further military service.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
not that you would want to but you can reenlist into the irr with no mando drills.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

DoktorLoken posted:

I was told an IRR transfer isn't possible because I have no time remaining on my contract; this came from my state's G1. I'm mid level M-Day enlisted in the ARNG, so it's not like I can just walk 100 miles to S1 and have them figure it out and even then, I have doubts about people taking the effort to actually do anything to assist at this point. That was sort of my idea if I did the IRR route, finding the easiest way possible to get a good year.

On the other hand, I'm almost done with my degree so trying to do similar work as a civilian government employee is realistically probably a better course of action than keeping the door open on further military service.

You don't really have to walk 100 miles anymore. Computers and phones are everywhere these days.

If you're mid-lvl surely you have some fulltimer friends with a 42 series job? I'm not being facetious, I was a BDE S-1 many years ago and helped process these things often. You might also try talking to your closest reserve component unit as they'll know a lot more about it.

Getting good years in the IRR is fairly simple as you'll be assigned to a reserve unit of some type and you can call them whenever you've got some time off and see what types of duty they have available for you. My buddy got assigned to some training regiment and he'll call them up twice a year and get sent off to help run some kind of training site for a few weeks at a time.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

What happens when you retire in the IRR? Pensions?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Justin Tyme posted:

What happens when you retire in the IRR? Pensions?

It's similar to the other reserve retirements. You need 50 points for a good year. You get 15 points automatically just for being in, then 1 point for every day of duty, 2 points for official drill days.

Once you obtain 20 good years you can retire, get the retired I.D. card, Tricare retired, etc. But you don't draw your pension until 60 (minus any deployed time, for every 90 days deployed they take 90 days off of 60 post 2008).

If you've got active duty years those count towards the retirement and you get 365 points for each of those years.

There is a multiplier for your points (as in a $$ multiplier) so you when you retire you just multiply your points by the $$ multiplier to know how much your pension will be. (the $$ multiplier is based on rank, an E-9 will get a better multiplier than an E-7)

There is a retired reserve that I recommend reserve folks who've retired get into. If you do you get cost of living increases whenever they get approved and when you do reach 60 your check will be higher. If you choose not to enter the retired reserve your check will be exactly what it was 20 years ago when you retired.

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 19, 2017

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

TBeats posted:

Well MPs are p much infantry anyway.

lol a good post imo

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Friendly reminder!

http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/19/politics/army-ethics-lying-report/

quote:

Study: 'U.S. Army officers lie' routinely

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Am Noble can confirm said statement.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Water wet, sky blue, nobles must hang.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I don't know why this is. (institutes a zero defect policy) :shrug:

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Mike-o posted:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Mike-o posted:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Mike-o posted:

TheAlphaChaser
May 12, 2013

I highly recommend reading the source material: http://www.strategicstudiesinstitute.army.mil/pdffiles/PUB1250.pdf

It's actually more about how big Army's insane requirements for everything from SHARP briefs to mandatory hourly training schedules has made a ton of people say gently caress it and turn that red box green in a command and staff brief to not deal with the bullshit. Has any noble here literally never done that before? Never signed off on a suspect weapon qual card for an NCO about to go to the board? Never done a mass company brief to fulfill suicide awareness training? Never pencil whipped a PL's mandatory vehicle inspection for a pass? I'm not saying it's right, I'm saying there's a moral fuzzy line when using your own judgement to negotiate the minefield of paperwork and arbitrary military requirements. I'm not talking about the rapist generals or dudes taking bribes obviously, gently caress them.

Paradise Lost
Feb 11, 2003

kill your enemy, drink his wine, and take his women
The current number of annual training requirements adds up to something like 520 days of requirements for 365 days, up from ~250 a decade or so ago.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

TheAlphaChaser posted:

I highly recommend reading the source material: http://www.strategicstudiesinstitute.army.mil/pdffiles/PUB1250.pdf

It's actually more about how big Army's insane requirements for everything from SHARP briefs to mandatory hourly training schedules has made a ton of people say gently caress it and turn that red box green in a command and staff brief to not deal with the bullshit. Has any noble here literally never done that before? Never signed off on a suspect weapon qual card for an NCO about to go to the board? Never done a mass company brief to fulfill suicide awareness training? Never pencil whipped a PL's mandatory vehicle inspection for a pass? I'm not saying it's right, I'm saying there's a moral fuzzy line when using your own judgement to negotiate the minefield of paperwork and arbitrary military requirements. I'm not talking about the rapist generals or dudes taking bribes obviously, gently caress them.

Yeah we did it all the time. Problem is you end up effectively teaching units that they always know better, since everything coming from higher is suspect and probably unfeasible. That's how you get units making up their own rules in combat and doing stupid stuff.

TheAlphaChaser
May 12, 2013

Zeris posted:

Yeah we did it all the time. Problem is you end up effectively teaching units that they always know better, since everything coming from higher is suspect and probably unfeasible. That's how you get units making up their own rules in combat and doing stupid stuff.

100% agree. And while the blame lies somewhere in the middle it won't stop being a problem until echelon's at DIV and higher start removing requirements rather than adding. And that will probably happen around the same time we have a PT program that makes sense.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

TheAlphaChaser posted:

100% agree. And while the blame lies somewhere in the middle it won't stop being a problem until echelon's at DIV and higher start removing requirements rather than adding. And that will probably happen around the same time we have a PT program that makes sense.

Objective T will fix that. (not really, but it's a start)

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

TheAlphaChaser posted:

I think it all comes back to increased communication facilitating easier micromanagement of everything at the company and battalion level by command level staff. When you start suffocating the people who are hired for their ability to act independently in the first place, they're going to start doing it behind your back. That's when you end up with the kinds of problems Zeris is talking about : it's a byproduct of lying/bending the truth being the only way to get things done.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Nobles are just idiots like us, they just get treated better.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Ever read "A Rumor of War"? That ethical numbness used to take months of time in the bad bush to breed into people and here our efficient bureaucracy can do it without deploying anyone. The chapters about him being the "Officer in charge of the dead" are real good at pointing out the logical disconnect between higher leadership and the people who have to do the job. That disconnect just seems more codified now, like an unwritten rule, now set in stone.

I have met, in the army, people who were terrified of having to fire their weapon because of the loving overcomplex ROE and leadership later in the war meant they're hosed no matter what. Which is weird to me. Not sure how to fix it either except maybe try that thing from the first chapter of Sun Tzu with the concubines except using everyone above a certain rank.

I still dont get why they teach people the disgusting, dryhump and roll, way to search a body in tradoc but I'm pretty sure that whatever factors make that a thing are a huge part of the problem.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

psydude posted:

I think it all comes back to increased communication facilitating easier micromanagement of everything at the company and battalion level by command level staff.

Also, automation has made it way easier for various staff shops and other military agencies who aren't either doing the job or in charge of those doing the job to put units and people on blast for some real basic poo poo like sending out mass spreadsheets that list by name the people whose [form whatever] is out of date by 30 seconds.

I get that they're butt hurt about being called "customer service" or being told they work for the units rather than the other way around, but if you're an S1/2/3/4/6 whatever NCO or officer and you spend more time trying to nitpick the units and their troops than actually doing your job, get the gently caress out of here.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Steezo posted:

I have met, in the army, people who were terrified of having to fire their weapon because of the loving overcomplex ROE and leadership later in the war meant they're hosed no matter what.

I deployed to Iraq in 2003 and again in 2010. The difference made me :stonk:

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

spacetoaster posted:

I deployed to Iraq in 2003 and again in 2010. The difference made me :stonk:

I know right? I was there in 2003 and part of 2009-10. Glad I had a bunch of other degenerate early war vets there on the second one. Any time we had an attachment from higher they'd go pants on head retarded except for the interpreter. Somehow they were always obsessed with loving with the radios until half of us couldn't talk to the other half. Which is fun when you're doing convoy security, get ready to push the gate and miss your time because you're unfucking commo and holy poo poo the obsession over gate times...

Yet somehow it felt like the sheer chaos of the invasion was better co-ordinated and communicated.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I was watching this old rear end random TV show and it featured this dude who was an apparant badass but retired out.

Army nobles were like "you need to help us with this case!" And he was like "you know the best part about being a civilian? It out ranks all the Captains and Majors. Leave me alone."

Loved it.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I wonder what it was like in the Army before cell phones. While they're a great tool it's really loving irritating how it easily enables higher to micromanage everyone below them.

We get told that while we're in the field we won't be hosed with and that's usually the case. Every once in awhile though I'll get dumb loving phone calls about poo poo I don't care about while we're out training. Fortunately my commander feels the same way and has our backs whenever we tell people to more or less go gently caress themselves.

I can't loving stand all the good idea fairies BDE and higher seems to be full of, those people should be lined up outside and shot.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

There is a group text circulating Facebook where a joe told top to gently caress himself. He didn't know it was a group text.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Soulex posted:

There is a group text circulating Facebook where a joe told top to gently caress himself. He didn't know it was a group text.

Screenshot?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mustang posted:

I wonder what it was like in the Army before cell phones. While they're a great tool it's really loving irritating how it easily enables higher to micromanage everyone below them.

I was in then. Hell, I was in before email was a thing (and am still in because I'm dumb).

When you got off work and left you disappeared. Literally. Everyone had a home phone, but you could just ignore it and the person calling would have to assume you were not at home and out doing whatever.

If you were a real important big dog you might tell the CQ ,or whatever, that you'd be at a certain bar and they could try and call there to get you.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I was in before cell phones were basically mandatory leadership harassment devices it was pretty cool. You left work and "see you at PT" and if you forgot to tell someone something I guess it wasn't that important :shrug:

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I got a tiny taste of the pre-cellphone era. More like right before smart phones came out and not really many people (read: joe fresh out of basic) had cellphones anyway. Then again it was when I was in Germany. You were either in your barracks, or out getting shitfaced somewhere. But yeah not getting constantly loving harassed on my phone by retards above me was pretty nice while it lasted. Come to think of it the little nokia brick phone I first had I never actually used except to call home or buddies when we were out drinking, I never used it for work somehow.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mike-o posted:

I never used it for work somehow.

When we all started getting those first cell phones nobody had really changed over to asking for people's home AND cell phone. There was always just one place for a number and everyone just put in their home number.

Also reception was terrible back then so you wanted the home number anyway.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
gently caress I don't want to think about it but I specifically remember being on the way to freedom doing outprocessing, decided to take a day off because gently caress the army. Driving with my girlfriend on a 2 hour drive to see a friend of hers and this stupid loving dipshit was trying to call me and bitch me about something loving stupid like SGT MIKE-O GET TO THE COMPANY AREA ASAP and I just let it go to voicemail because gently caress that dude. It was not important in the slightest. Like one of my little boxes in an excel spreadsheet was red or some poo poo. Oh my god I'm so glad I'm out.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

spacetoaster posted:

When we all started getting those first cell phones nobody had really changed over to asking for people's home AND cell phone. There was always just one place for a number and everyone just put in their home number.

Also reception was terrible back then so you wanted the home number anyway.

Yeah I remember that, even though the joes with cellphones only would put their numbers in the rosters, no one ever loving called. Literally it would be 1SG calls the Platoon Sergeants on their home phones, and down onto Squad and Team Leaders. Our team leaders lived on the 4th floor of our barracks unless they were married so they'd just come down to our area and say hey dude here's what's up for tomorrow. Never once got some dumb bullshit on the phone. Unlike my other story.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
The junior enlisted/NCO side of the Army definitely seems to deal with afterwork texts way more than the officer side. Since becoming a PL I'm in various squad leader/PSG/1SG and whatnot group texts that aren't really directed at me but for my own situational awareness. Most of it seems to be driven by the CSM making up as many dumb things as possible for the enlisted in the unit to waste their time on.

Honestly CSM seems like one of the most useless positions in the Army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
What happened to having the commander, and his adjutant officers, like in the real armies?

(Finnish)