Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

K Prime posted:

Being sewn into clothes is a thing- if you're rich enough to have a tailor on call, it's one of the best ways to get a "perfect fit" look.

:eng101: That is actually how World War I got started!

Archduke Franz Ferdinand got shot in Sarajevo, and people rushed to tend to his wounds. However, in a stunning twist, it turns out he had been sewn into his uniform to achieve a perfect fit, so the first responders couldn't get his clothes off to find the gunshot wound and put pressure on it. Before a blade could be fetched to cut the uniform off, the Archduke bled to death: had he worn his uniform the normal way he might have survived, and World War I would have started some other way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Someone please define "sewn in" for me so I know if I should be weirded out or disgusted.

Surely it means the clothing was sewn super tight while on the body and not... sewn into the body. Right?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Someone please define "sewn in" for me so I know if I should be weirded out or disgusted.

Surely it means the clothing was sewn super tight while on the body and not... sewn into the body. Right?

Right. Not necessarily super tight either, just sewn shut so it can't be removed. I think I'm siding with the "this is a myth" camp, because no one in my googling has been able to explain how kids went to the bathroom.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I'm pretty sure some Serbian dude trying to murder the crown prince would have triggered a war tbh, success or not. Don't forget that everybody couldn't wait to get a good war on.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

System Metternich posted:

I'm pretty sure some Serbian dude trying to murder the crown prince would have triggered a war tbh, success or not. Don't forget that everybody couldn't wait to get a good war on.

If David Herrmann's The Arming of Europe and the Making of the First World War is to be believed, and I certainly think it is, the war was precipitated by changing perceptions of the European balance of powers. The Germans were tempted by their rapidly modernizing army to solve crises through direct threats in situations they would've resorted to diplomacy only a few years earlier, and Austria-Hungary was becoming increasingly obsessed with the concept of "preventive war", like the niggerstomper58 of Europe that it used to be. The Entente had to respond in kind. Also, all the European economies became geared towards producing armaments and would've collapsed had there not been a way to expend the stockpiles.

e: poo poo, this isn't D&D

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Weapons were getting crazy, and all these countries couldn't wait to try them out on each other.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Hence why I said "World War I would have started some other way" and not "World War I wouldn't have happened."

At that point war was pretty much inevitable, and Franz Ferdinand getting murdered was simply the spark that started the blaze. If it hadn't been that, it would have been something else in pretty short order.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Right. Not necessarily super tight either, just sewn shut so it can't be removed. I think I'm siding with the "this is a myth" camp, because no one in my googling has been able to explain how kids went to the bathroom.
What do you think that comical flap you see in cartoon PJs s is for? Remember you either poo poo in your house (which was probably one room shared with everybody) or the outhouse (loving cold).

This was a very real thing, as was for many COATING YOURSELF IN BEAR GREASE first. Google keeps handing back stuff around The Revenant when I try to find proof, but my grandfather talked about getting 'sewed in for the winter'.

Remulak has a new favorite as of 20:58 on Feb 16, 2017

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Remulak posted:

What do you think that comical flap you see in cartoon PJs s is for? Remember you either poo poo in your house (which was probably one room shared with everybody) or the outhouse (loving cold).

This was a very real thing, as was for many COATING YOURSELF IN BEAR GREASE first. Google keeps handing back stuff around The Revenant when I try to find proof, but my grandfather talked about getting 'sewed in for the winter'.

That's not the kind of underwear little British kids wore in WWII times.

Edit: Also girls exist.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Not in a properly run house!

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

Not in a properly run house!

Hahaha

Posting more so my post isn't just hahaha... history facts... uh... Hey around the corner from me right now is a YMCA that used to be a boarding house Marilyn Monroe stayed in before she got famous. Not many people know she did that. It makes me think about how we still kinda need boarding houses, and we keep trying to remake them in bad ways, like those awful tech industry "hacker hostel" flophouses.

Anyway they had some murders there and shut it down, but they used to host talent shows and a lot of actresses got discovered there.

Hollywood Studio Club

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Baron Corbyn posted:

More of a request but I just had a recollection of the book Goodnight, Mr. Tom where the main character, an evacuee kid from London has been "sewn in" to his underwear by his mother. Was this common practice and what the gently caress? Googling it has mostly brought up links to people asking the same question and getting anecdotal replies from old people saying they totally knew a kid who was sewn in and I'm not sure if that's just false memory stuff like people swearing there was definitely a kid named Lemonjello in their class or whatever.

I have read that what was sometimes done was that children would be insulated with newspaper then sewn in for the winter, then they'd be cut out of their clothes in the spring.

Granted, I read this in a Horrible Histories book. :v:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I really don't understand this at all. How did anyone go to the bathroom if their pants are completely stuck on?

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I really don't understand this at all. How did anyone go to the bathroom if their pants are completely stuck on?

The idea being that you're wearing something kind of like a chastity belt, where getting an erection is painful/unpleasant but you can still urinate/take a dump.

The 'medieval' idea of denying sexuality in an attempt to enforce...better morals? better sexual discipline? Some sadistic idea of betterness? is an exceedingly modern concept. Actual medieval societies' social sex norms are almost recognizable to people living today.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Use the buttflap, son!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

I don't know what clothing was fashionable abroad, but in Central Europe common, everyday clothes for kids did have openings on the trousers.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I'd think an alternative problem is that you would get sores and lice and poo poo.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
This is slightly off topic but can anyone recommend a good book on the 1960-1990 period of Italy? I've been reading Midnight in Sicily and it's great and I'm looking for more

For something on topic, Amor de Cosmos is one of my favourite people to ever hold office

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

vainman posted:

This is slightly off topic but can anyone recommend a good book on the 1960-1990 period of Italy? I've been reading Midnight in Sicily and it's great and I'm looking for more

For something on topic, Amor de Cosmos is one of my favourite people to ever hold office

Do you read Italian? Because I really liked Bruno Vespa's Storia d'Italia da Mussolini a Berlusconi. I'd also like to know if you've read anything else about the period that you'd recommend?

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
No and not much, unfortunately. It's not a period I know enough about but it seems very interesting. I ordered Tullio Pironti's memoirs yesterday, that might have some of what I'm looking for

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

OldTennisCourt posted:

An effect of this was that the Coliseum shows got real lovely. Like old rear end starved lions pacing around and getting killed by lovely fighters. During one of those fights some dudes started mocking it and Caligula got mega pissed and had all of them round up, had their tongues cut out and forced to fight for the crowd.

I find this to be really funny for some reason. Do you know of any other gladiatoral antics like this?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I find this to be really funny for some reason. Do you know of any other gladiatoral antics like this?

Russell Crowe got so mad at the producer during the filming of Gladiator that he called him a motherfucker and threatened to kill him with his bare hands

Another choice tidbit:

quote:

The book also reveals Crowe's initial reluctance when asked by director Ridley Scott to utter what turned out to be Gladiator's most enduring line of dialogue: "And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next." Crowe was apparently convinced it was an overwrought sentence, but eventually persuaded to play ball following multiple takes. After the scene in question wrapped, he was said to have told Scott: "It was poo poo, but I'm the greatest actor in the world and I can make even poo poo sound good."

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I suppose contemporary events are history too.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
We live in historical times, friend.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

If the gladiator movie was an American it would be old enough to drive a car

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

OldTennisCourt posted:

An effect of this was that the Coliseum shows got real lovely. Like old rear end starved lions pacing around and getting killed by lovely fighters. During one of those fights some dudes started mocking it and Caligula got mega pissed and had all of them round up, had their tongues cut out and forced to fight for the crowd.
Wouldn't this be before The Coliseum, I forgot where the Romans held their games before the Flavian Amphitheater

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not sure how old a fact has to be for it to be "historical" but whatever, I shall post it anyway. I recently read that CCR - the rootsiest band of them all in 1969 - were often written off as disposable pop fluff on the same level as, say, Tommy James and the Shondells during the Summer of Love because they weren't playing "sophisticated" music like Jefferson Airplane or the other "hippy" bands.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I don't know of any official cutoff either, but like a rule of thumb, "historical" events at least have to be old enough that the primary reason that I didn't experience them was that I wasn't cognizant yet. Like if I was the OP, I'd ballpark it at an imagined average of thread participants at say 1990 or even 2000.

It's all good, though. I suppose this post is kinda historiographical

Historiography by itself is fascinating too. What is history, and how and why and so on.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm not sure how old a fact has to be for it to be "historical" but whatever, I shall post it anyway. I recently read that CCR - the rootsiest band of them all in 1969 - were often written off as disposable pop fluff on the same level as, say, Tommy James and the Shondells during the Summer of Love because they weren't playing "sophisticated" music like Jefferson Airplane or the other "hippy" bands.

CCR being the band from southern California that talked about cotton fields and bayous despite the front man never having been to the south

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

EX250 Type R posted:

CCR being the band from southern California that talked about cotton fields and bayous despite the front man never having been to the south

Hey, at least they were on the same continent, which is more than Mick Jagger could say. :v:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Ibn Fadlan's full of crap, I asked for his journal/memoirs about interacting with vikings etc in the 8th century and he's talking about finding corpses of giants and snakes as big as trees and stuff. Now I'm not even sure I can believe the standard minutae of middle eastern/viking life from around that time period

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Aesop Poprock posted:

Ibn Fadlan's full of crap, I asked for his journal/memoirs about interacting with vikings etc in the 8th century and he's talking about finding corpses of giants and snakes as big as trees and stuff. Now I'm not even sure I can believe the standard minutae of middle eastern/viking life from around that time period

Fwiw he was right about us being gross as hell.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Rommel wore a silly bathing suit.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Pick posted:

Gotta hide them nips

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Pick posted:

Haha, that looks like it's supposed to be a sexy lady bathing suit. I wonder what the reasoning for that cut was.

For some reason I was reminded of this photo from a 1909 men's beauty contest in Denmark (:nws:)

http://i.imgur.com/uCJKF0E.jpg

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Powaqoatse posted:

Fwiw he was right about us being gross as hell.

I'm still gonna finish it but between that stuff and the "everyone is somehow fascinated by Islam and is weirdly in love with it because it's the correct religion" stuff every 10 or so pages it's more of a slog than I was expecting

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Pick posted:

I think silly bathing suits were just the norm in those days.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Powaqoatse posted:

Haha, that looks like it's supposed to be a sexy lady bathing suit. I wonder what the reasoning for that cut was.

For some reason I was reminded of this photo from a 1909 men's beauty contest in Denmark (:nws:)

http://i.imgur.com/uCJKF0E.jpg

Lmao loving that you obviously didn't need to be naked but most dudes decided to anyway. Kudos

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Aesop Poprock posted:

I'm still gonna finish it but between that stuff and the "everyone is somehow fascinated by Islam and is weirdly in love with it because it's the correct religion" stuff every 10 or so pages it's more of a slog than I was expecting

I've only read quotations, but I've wanted to read him for a while. All the religious stuff is par for the course though (esp in older writings), regardless of creed. Humanity loves to define itself by how wrong other humans are.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Lmao loving that you obviously didn't need to be naked but most dudes decided to anyway. Kudos

Hell yeah. Also I'm the tubby guy in the middle and/or the judge with the straw-hat & walking stick

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 02:14 on Feb 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Pick posted:

This is the second Naziest bathing suit I've ever seen.