Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

FreudianSlippers posted:

This is the second Naziest bathing suit I've ever seen.

You know you gotta post the most naziest bathing suit now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Aesop Poprock posted:

Lmao loving that you obviously didn't need to be naked but most dudes decided to anyway. Kudos

:denmark:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Pick posted:

Rommel wore a silly bathing suit.

Why did you think they called him the Desert Fox? :heysexy:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Historically, Germans were the nudist/naturist front runners though. Especially then, in 1909. Denmark wasn't that forward. I should probably mention that the photo is from a fenced off bathing area. I don't know an English word for it; we had them in many big cities around the turn of the last century. It's on the ocean, but there's separate areas for men & women & they have high boarded up fences so you can't really sneak a peak. Some have survived until now. And obviously nobody was gay back then so it wasn't a problem that dudes could see dudes or women could see women.

But anyway, there's a whole connection between the naturism movement and the völkisch movement, both of which came around at around the same time. They're all back to nature, and natural health & such. Even today many German beaches are still all nude and you're guaranteed to see a naked German if you go to the Mediterranean.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Pick posted:

Rommel wore a silly bathing suit.

who's the guy looking at the camera?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hogge Wild posted:

who's the guy looking at the camera?

The head of Hitler’s personal guard (one of them, anyway. Hitler had two independent sets just in case.).

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Powaqoatse posted:

You know you gotta post the most naziest bathing suit now.

This one would be a strong contender but it was made by an American woman from a bolt of fabric intended for producing Nazi armbands her husband brought home from the war as a souvenir. The idea being to take their poo poo and disrespect their symbol by putting your penis on it repeatedly.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Hah, like those rolls of toilet paper with prints of a politician.

Re: swimming & nazism; Inge Sørensen won bronze at the 1936 olympics, she was 12 & refused to heil. Pretty cool imo.

(that photo became a "call to arms" of sorts for the Danish resistance)

Obv not as cool as Jesse Owens beating ze nazis:

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 02:58 on Feb 19, 2017

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Powaqoatse posted:

Hell yeah. Also I'm the tubby guy in the middle and/or the judge with the straw-hat & walking stick

That's what peak male performance looks like. I also enjoy how his untherthings are rakishly low.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Powaqoatse posted:

Hah, like those rolls of toilet paper with prints of a politician.

Re: swimming & nazism; Inge Sørensen won bronze at the 1936 olympics, she was 12 & refused to heil. Pretty cool imo.

(that photo became a "call to arms" of sorts for the Danish resistance)

Obv not as cool as Jesse Owens beating ze nazis:

Japanese guy looks so uncomfortable. "Should I salute? Most people are saluting, but the american is saluting differently. Do I bow or something? Oh god, the Emperor is going to be so disappointed with me."

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Japanese guy looks so uncomfortable. "Should I salute? Most people are saluting, but the american is saluting differently. Do I bow or something? Oh god, the Emperor is going to be so disappointed with me."

He won't know true disappointment for about another decade.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Suspect Bucket posted:

That's what peak male performance looks like. I also enjoy how his untherthings are rakishly low.

hell yea its sexy af when the pants ride on the hip & thats it, no more

male/female theyre both sexy with those pants on that hip

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

EX250 Type R posted:

CCR being the band from Southern California

Northern California (El Cerrito).

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Seriously, when I visited Copenhagen a few years ago I was rather... surprised, yeah let's go with surprised... during my casual stroll through a city park to see female students sunbathing completely in the nude.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Powaqoatse posted:

I don't know of any official cutoff either, but like a rule of thumb, "historical" events at least have to be old enough that the primary reason that I didn't experience them was that I wasn't cognizant yet. Like if I was the OP, I'd ballpark it at an imagined average of thread participants at say 1990 or even 2000.

It's all good, though. I suppose this post is kinda historiographical

Historiography by itself is fascinating too. What is history, and how and why and so on.

People keep making fun of him for the giant ants thing, but then it turned out he was right.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mycroft Holmes posted:

"God, I hope we don't end up allied with these sausage-eating motherfuckers."

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Aesop Poprock posted:

I'm still gonna finish it but between that stuff and the "everyone is somehow fascinated by Islam and is weirdly in love with it because it's the correct religion" stuff every 10 or so pages it's more of a slog than I was expecting

Yeah, that reminds me of the memoirs of Ibn Batutu, when he wasn't beating up Jews or marrying and divorcing multiple women in Indonesia.

Basically what I'm saying is that Marco Polo was the better explorer, even though they were both pretty credulous.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Powaqoatse posted:

Fwiw he was right about us being gross as hell.

And yet less gross than the rest of Europe:

John of Wallingford posted:

the Danes, thanks to their habit of combing their hair every day, of bathing every Saturday and regularly changing their clothes, were able to undermine the virtue of married women and even seduce the daughters of nobles to be their mistresses.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

EX250 Type R posted:

CCR being the band from southern California that talked about cotton fields and bayous despite the front man never having been to the south

Here's a historical fun fact: I'm gonna kick your rear end for besmirching the name of CCR.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
The band America

Formed in England

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The Quarrymen? Not actually quarrymen.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
The Village People? Actually lived in cities most of their lives.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

All members of The Dwarves are actually Half-Orcs.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The Smiths were actually mainly shoe cobblers

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Aesop Poprock posted:

The Smiths were actually mainly shoe cobblers

Makes sense considering how many floors they killed.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Franz Ferdinand unfortunately has not been shot in the streets of Sarajevo

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

FreudianSlippers posted:

All members of The Dwarves are actually Half-Orcs.

Toiling Midgets were neither.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
There's actually no chance that They Might Be Giants.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

steinrokkan posted:

People keep making fun of him for the giant ants thing, but then it turned out he was right.

?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

This has probably been mentioned before, but I still find it absolutely amazing.

Back during the years of WWI, there was a sizable population in Russia ethnic to the Slovak regions. When war broke out, they organised a petition to the Russian Empire to form a legion to liberate their home territories from the rule of Austria. However, they didn't manage to reach full strength until 1917, whereupon the Bolsheviks had taken over Russia and brought forward peace plans with the Central powers.

The heads of the legion still wanted to fight for liberation, but the peace movements from Russia, plus Central power naval blockades and control over the Western front (well, Western for the Russians) meant that to get to where they wanted to go, this legion decided to go to France from Ukraine via Vladivostok. This is like... going from Virginia to Florida via California.

On this trip, they had a whole rigmarole of incidents and adventures, often fighting against armies of their host country and occupying the Trans-Siberian railway. Their whole trip is something I wish I could speak with more authority than what I've seen on wikipedia, but I've not been able to get a single book on the subject specifically.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Herodotus wrote about furry insects the size of dogs (iirc) living in the Orient that carried gold to the surface.

Turns out there is a species of ground squirrel or something similar in Central Asia that actually does carry gold dust to the surface when it burrows, and people in the region have been sifting and collecting it for millenia.

The details are wrong, but the gist of the story is correct.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Herodotus wrote about furry insects the size of dogs (iirc) living in the Orient that carried gold to the surface.

Turns out there is a species of ground squirrel or something similar in Central Asia that actually does carry gold dust to the surface when it burrows, and people in the region have been sifting and collecting it for millenia.

oh hey, that's neat

here's a fun historical fact in return:

Charles C. Mann in the book: 1493 posted:

Known collectively as chinos, Asian migrants spread slowly along the silver highway from Acapulco to Mexico City, Peubla, and Veracruz. Indeed, the road was patrolled by them – Japanese samurai in particular. Katana-swinging Japanese had helped suppress Chinese rebellions in Manila in 1603 and 1609. When Japan closed its borders to foreigners in the 1630s, Japanese expatriates were stranded wherever they were. Scores, perhaps hundreds, migrated to Mexico. Initially the viceroy had forbidden mestizos, mullatos, negros, zambaigos, and chinos to carry weapons. The Spaniards made an exception for samurai, allowing them to wield their katanas and tantos to protect the silver shipments against the escaped-slaves-turned-highwaymen in the hills. The results were so encouraging that the authorities reversed course and drafted mixed-race people into militias. By the eighteenth century Afro-Indo-Asian paramilitary units on Mexico’s Pacific coast were protecting mail deliveries, patrolling for bandits, and repelling attacks by British ships. Acapulco, terminus of the silver trade, was guarded by a force of morenos, pardos, Spaniards, and chinos, the latter mostly Filipinos and Fujianese. When the British admiral/pirate George Anson invaded western Mexico in 1741, the multicultural force played a major role in his defeat.

AriadneThread has a new favorite as of 20:33 on Feb 19, 2017

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
He posted that in 1493?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

JesustheDarkLord posted:

He posted that in 1493?

hrm, i meant the book 1493, didn't think that formatting through
e: maybe that'll be clearer

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In 1603 an entire scottish clan was outlawed. Clan MacGregor was almost constantly involved in various feuds and was also known as notorious cattle thieves. Finally king James VI of Scotland had enough so he hanged the chief of the clan along with eleven of his chieftains and banned anyone from taking the name MacGregor. That didn't stop the MacGregors from being in feuds and stealing cattle though (one of the most famous MacGregor during that period was the outlaw Rob Roy MacGregor). The laws against them were repealed in 1774.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

The local word for 'ant' sounded almost exactly identical to the word for 'marmot', and there was a slight transcription error.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

steinrokkan posted:

More than that, the words for "marmot" and "mountain ant" sounded almost identical. So it was a language error.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

This one would be a strong contender but it was made by an American woman from a bolt of fabric intended for producing Nazi armbands her husband brought home from the war as a souvenir. The idea being to take their poo poo and disrespect their symbol by putting your penis on it repeatedly.

I'm sure he had a great time later on in life explaining that story every time he had to change at the gym or visit his doctor.

steinrokkan posted:

I must admit he was shocking prescient to have predicted the movie THEM! over a millennium after he died.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

InequalityGodzilla posted:

I must admit he was shocking prescient to have predicted the movie THEM! over a millennium after he died.

This isn't so much a historical fact, but it is funny and a bit related: when the movie Them! was released in Sweden back in the day, the swedish translation of the title was mistakenly translated as "Spindlarna" which does not, in fact, mean "Them!". If you've not guessed it yet, "Spindlarna" means "The Spiders".

No, I don't know why this was the translation, I can only assume someone with fantastic bullshitting skills managed to get a job as translator at Svensk Filmindustri back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Keru posted:

This isn't so much a historical fact, but it is funny and a bit related: when the movie Them! was released in Sweden back in the day, the swedish translation of the title was mistakenly translated as "Spindlarna" which does not, in fact, mean "Them!". If you've not guessed it yet, "Spindlarna" means "The Spiders".

No, I don't know why this was the translation, I can only assume someone with fantastic bullshitting skills managed to get a job as translator at Svensk Filmindustri back then.

Depending on what the posters looked like this might've inadvertently turned the reveal that the monsters where giant ants into a genuine surprise.