Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Yep, same VA as wood elves and high elves. Just like orcs are the same VA as nords. smfh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
They should get Jon St. John and have all dark elves sound like Duke Nukem.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I thought I'd play some Morrowind to unwind tonight, but I forgot that being stupid is actually prohibitive with older PC games.

I'm following the instructions to use Wrye Mash from the OP of the thread. I don't know why I'm doing this, but it says for a Steam install I should use it to change the Create Dates for the core BSA files, so I do what I'm told.

Or I would. When I finally figured out what I needed to do to get Wrye Mash to start in the first place, the only hint of any files at all is in the Mods tab, and it's three esm files, not bsas.

I've perused the manual and googled around and have not had much luck. Any ideas of what I should be checking?

Honestly, all I wanted to do was make this drat game a little prettier and maybe throw in a levelling mod or something to stay sane.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I did just that sort of playthrough and I did not use Wrye Mash at all. Just the official addons, the Morrowind Patch Project, Better Dialogue Font, MasterIndex journal fix, The Moon and Star crosshair replacement, Linora's Leveling Mod, and a mod to delay start of the Tribunal quest until after the main quest. Morrowind code patch the EXE, then exeopt, and MGE XE. I think the game crashed twice in about 160 hours.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 8, 2017

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Cat Mattress posted:

They should get Jon St. John and have all dark elves sound like Duke Nukem.

I'm here to kick rear end and chew bittergreen petals

Those n'wahs are gonna pay for shootin' up my ride

Hail to The Nerevarine, baby

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 8, 2017

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

K8.0 posted:

I did just that sort of playthrough and I did not use Wrye Mash at all. Just the official addons, the Morrowind Patch Project, Better Dialogue Font, MasterIndex journal fix, The Moon and Star crosshair replacement, Linora's Leveling Mod, and a mod to delay start of the Tribunal quest until after the main quest. Morrowind code patch the EXE, then exeopt, and MGE XE. I think the game crashed twice in about 160 hours.

Nice. I'll just proceed then. Thank you.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Ok i think i hosed something up. I turned UAC back on my Windows 10 to test something and now morrowind has a continual launcher loop. Whenever I hit play on the launcher it just opens the launcher again. I've turned UAC back off but it's still messed up. I dunno what to do

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
See if any compatibility settings are enabled, and if they are turn them off.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Hey guys, I have a question that may have well been answered in the OP, I'm sorry if so, but I installed the recommended graphic megapack at the top of the OP, and its so impressive and beautiful that a game from 2001 is sometimes giving me 8-10FPS, although 30 is normal...

can someone explain how armor works? I rolled a thief as a base class.

I'm in Balmora and trying to give it an honest go... but I'm playing a thief, giving me a fair bonus in medium armor. I got my starter gold from Costades, and then I sold a plate at the census office I got around to sellign in balmora, because i didnt know what i was doing, well under its actual value.

THAT said i ahve about 550 gold, and im trying to buy some armor, after the wizard sword and gear didn't cut it, and my first quest killing a rat infestation ended after getting 3-shot by a rat...

That's all the story, now I'm at the armor debating what kind of armor to buy to start with. I'm assuming medium, but is there any way to inspect the stats of this stuff, is there a way to tell, in-game, if chitin is better than bone or whatever else? if i click on something i end up starting the bartering process...

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I hate to double post but this isn't entirely connected to the last one so forgive me if that's a button of yours, but some of the quirks aside, I can't believe I've basically shelved this game for 15 years. I bought it a little over a year after release. It worked on my computer and it blew my mind. The depth was crazy, but I simply couldn't grasp it. As I start to try again, especailly with the new look, I can't help but see amazement in the detail of the game. In modern releases, The Witcher 3 is the only thing like this. Between TW3 and Morrowind there is nothing, even other bethsoft games and my beloved Obsidian games. There's so many little things even in Seyda Neen and Balmora feel more alive than many RPGs since. I feel some shame putting them off this long.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

basic hitler posted:

Hey guys, I have a question that may have well been answered in the OP, I'm sorry if so, but I installed the recommended graphic megapack at the top of the OP, and its so impressive and beautiful that a game from 2001 is sometimes giving me 8-10FPS, although 30 is normal...

can someone explain how armor works? I rolled a thief as a base class.

I'm in Balmora and trying to give it an honest go... but I'm playing a thief, giving me a fair bonus in medium armor. I got my starter gold from Costades, and then I sold a plate at the census office I got around to sellign in balmora, because i didnt know what i was doing, well under its actual value.

THAT said i ahve about 550 gold, and im trying to buy some armor, after the wizard sword and gear didn't cut it, and my first quest killing a rat infestation ended after getting 3-shot by a rat...

That's all the story, now I'm at the armor debating what kind of armor to buy to start with. I'm assuming medium, but is there any way to inspect the stats of this stuff, is there a way to tell, in-game, if chitin is better than bone or whatever else? if i click on something i end up starting the bartering process...

If you just hover your mouse over a piece you should see an "armor rating" or something. It's a function of the armor itself and your skill with it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The best end-game armors are heavy and light. Medium armor is kind of neglected, though the expansion sets improve that a bit. But still, medium armor is basically heavy armor that sucks.

Explanation for how it works can be found here. More specifically, you can compute your armor rating using the formula here and then see how it affects the damage you take there.

Both heavy and medium armor are keyed on the Endurance attribute; light armor is keyed on Agility.

The best light armor set (glass), gives you an armor rating of 50; the best medium set (ice), 50 as well; and the best heavy set (daedric), 80. You can actually boost your medium armor a bit beyond 50 by using a Royal Guard armor mixed with Ice armor for the greaves and shield, and get 53.5 this way.

Keep in mind that these nominal ratings are for a skill of 30. With skill 100 you'll get 3.333... times as much, so that's why you'll often see stats saying that a full daedric set gives you 266 armor instead of the 80 I'm listing.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Medium armour is nice in the early to mid game if you're going for a strength char so that you don't get bogged down too much by your encumbrance. There's a super nice medium armour available (best in slot for torso) at the end of one of the faction quests so you're not really losing much by going with both medium and heavy in the long run imo

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

PrinceRandom posted:

Ok i think i hosed something up. I turned UAC back on my Windows 10 to test something and now morrowind has a continual launcher loop. Whenever I hit play on the launcher it just opens the launcher again. I've turned UAC back off but it's still messed up. I dunno what to do

I had this problem, I think what I did to fix it was go to where I have it installed (for me it's F:\Steam\steamapps\common\Morrowind), find Morrowind Launcher.exe and right click that, properties, go to Compatibility tab, check the box to run as administrator. I had to do the same thing for Morrowind.exe as well. After that I was able to launch the game with Windows 10 UAC enabled.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Medium also looks the best. Indoril for days

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

My thief has a light specialty, i'm wearing some medium pieces but that was because the vendor i hit up had it and the shield looked cool.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

americanzero4128 posted:

I had this problem, I think what I did to fix it was go to where I have it installed (for me it's F:\Steam\steamapps\common\Morrowind), find Morrowind Launcher.exe and right click that, properties, go to Compatibility tab, check the box to run as administrator. I had to do the same thing for Morrowind.exe as well. After that I was able to launch the game with Windows 10 UAC enabled.

I had administrator on the game exe but not the launcher. Putting it on the launcher fixed it. Thanks.

Also the Ebony Mail is great.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

basic hitler posted:

I hate to double post but this isn't entirely connected to the last one so forgive me if that's a button of yours, but some of the quirks aside, I can't believe I've basically shelved this game for 15 years. I bought it a little over a year after release. It worked on my computer and it blew my mind. The depth was crazy, but I simply couldn't grasp it. As I start to try again, especailly with the new look, I can't help but see amazement in the detail of the game. In modern releases, The Witcher 3 is the only thing like this. Between TW3 and Morrowind there is nothing, even other bethsoft games and my beloved Obsidian games. There's so many little things even in Seyda Neen and Balmora feel more alive than many RPGs since. I feel some shame putting them off this long.

You sense yourself more aware, more open to new ideas. You've learned a lot about Morrowind. It's hard to believe how ignorant you were -- but now you have so much more to learn.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

kazr posted:

You sense yourself more aware, more open to new ideas. You've learned a lot about Morrowind. It's hard to believe how ignorant you were -- but now you have so much more to learn.

The single thing wrong with this post is that it's too long to be a thread title.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

basic hitler posted:

the sheer effort that went into crafting vvardenfell is staggering and is one of the main reasons morrowind is as loved as it is. right down to the dungeons, which are a lot more varied and interesting to explore than in skyrim or especially, ESPECIALLY in oblivion. no game before or since has made me want to poke around every last square inch of the game world like morrowind has.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

financially racist posted:

the sheer effort that went into crafting vvardenfell is staggering and is one of the main reasons morrowind is as loved as it is. right down to the dungeons, which are a lot more varied and interesting to explore than in skyrim or especially, ESPECIALLY in oblivion. no game before or since has made me want to poke around every last square inch of the game world like morrowind has.

It's why I want to keep making new poo poo to explore in the game and no other. I just didn't give enough of a poo poo about Skyrim to waste hundreds of hours in the CK on it.

For the same reason I shake my head at someone requesting "radiant quests" for MW (only to get links to the most boring, generic mods people made trying to do just that). You don't need stupid incentives to go dungeon crawling or beating through the bush in MW, because exploring is the incentive. Who the hell looks at a game like MW and says, "You know what this game is missing? Grind." We don't need, "Fetch me 20 guar pelts," as a reason to keep playing.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

financially racist posted:

I'm consistently impressed. I enjoy Skyrim a lot, and I go back to playing it frequently, but the fact I've had a physical copy of morrowind as long as I have, the most I ever played was back in the old days, when my gateway with an AMD Athlon and Geforce 2 couldn't really support large drawing distances with a playable framerate, it was all fog and what might've been a cool city in balmora, but like I said, I never got further than that.

just using the mods in MGSO, the game looks gorgeous. I just made a pit-stop in Vivec and was kind of blown away by how good it looks. How good everything looks. It looks like all of it might even be fine unmodded, which is crazy.

It's difficult for me to understand how Bethesda went from making something like this, to the comparatively straight up boring Oblivion, the fun but comparatively small Skyrim, and the pretty disappointing Fallout games.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

basic hitler posted:

I'm consistently impressed. I enjoy Skyrim a lot, and I go back to playing it frequently, but the fact I've had a physical copy of morrowind as long as I have, the most I ever played was back in the old days, when my gateway with an AMD Athlon and Geforce 2 couldn't really support large drawing distances with a playable framerate, it was all fog and what might've been a cool city in balmora, but like I said, I never got further than that.

just using the mods in MGSO, the game looks gorgeous. I just made a pit-stop in Vivec and was kind of blown away by how good it looks. How good everything looks. It looks like all of it might even be fine unmodded, which is crazy.

It's difficult for me to understand how Bethesda went from making something like this, to the comparatively straight up boring Oblivion, the fun but comparatively small Skyrim, and the pretty disappointing Fallout games.

It was a double whammy of changes in writing and design teams along with listening to some frankly stupid feedback (I remember back before Oblivion came out there was this list of things that players wanted in the game, like more quest direction, randomisation, level scaling, less item clutter, enemies that take longer to kill, etc.). They did take a lot of it onboard and, you know, turns out players aren't very good at game design.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Private Speech posted:

It was a double whammy of changes in writing and design teams along with listening to some frankly stupid feedback (I remember back before Oblivion came out there was this list of things that players wanted in the game, like more quest direction, randomisation, level scaling, less item clutter, enemies that take longer to kill, etc.). They did take a lot of it onboard and, you know, turns out players aren't very good at game design.

Bear in mind also that Morrowind was kind of an aberration. The TES games before it weren't very impressive either (except arguably in conceptual scope). Morrowind was a freak, magical moment in an a game series that otherwise has done "big and pretty" as its hallmark.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Yeah, I feel like a lot of people don't realise how much Oblivion is a call back to Daggerfall. And a lot of its problems are problems Daggerfall had.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

basic hitler posted:

If memory serves the guy that came up with all the crazy poo poo in Morrowind was also a literal crazy person who ended up not lasting long enough to affect Oblivion. If memory serves his vision was that the Imperials lived in a jungle and the ruins left over by the ancient elves were pretty crazy. He also came up with ideas like Green Emperor Way being where all the old emperors lived on as spirits in trees to advise the new emperors. One of the things that made Morrowind so unique was that this guy came up with CHIM, Red Mountain, Dagoth Ur, and all that jazz. I think that that's the only game he had a major hand in.

One of the reasons Morrowind still stands out is just the setting, really. It's a delight to explore because it actually feels like a weird, alien landscape that makes some kind of sense. A hell of a lot of thought went in to how the world works in Vvardenfell and how the people there respond to it.

Oblivion went more in the direction of generic high fantasy and a lot of that charm was lost.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Where's my mothman priests in the jungles of Cyrodil, Bethsoft? :argh:

But yeah, I can't speak too much to Arena (I only played it briefly), but Morrowind was basically an Anti-Daggerfall. Daggerfall had its charm, mind, but it was in essence an early experiment in procedurally generated gaming that lacked a lot of polish and was technologically a mess. It was hard to imagine Morrowind in the context of being a Daggerfall fan, and I think Bethsoft reacted to initial displeasure at the differences without realizing they had mistakenly made an enduring classic.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

"1st Pocket Guide to the Empire" posted:

The Colovians today still possess much of the frontier spirit of their ancestors. They are uncomplicated, self-sufficient, hearty, and extremely loyal to one another. Whenever the East would tremble under the weakness of a leader, the Colovians would withdraw unto themselves, always believing they were keeping the national spirit safe until the storm passed. They realize that the Nibenay Valley is the heart of the Empire and the cultural center of its civilization, but it is a fragile center that only can be held together by the strength of character of its Emperor. When he falters, so do the Colovians. Yet when he is mighty, like Tiber Septim, they are his legions. Today, West Cyrodiils make up the majority of the soldiers in the Ruby Ranks. The Colovian nobility, all officers of the Imperial Legions or its West Navy, do not allow themselves the great expenditure of courtly life as is seen in the capital city. They prefer immaculate uniforms and stark standards hanging from the ceiling of their austere cliff-fortresses; to this day, they become a little perplexed7 when they must visit the grandly decorated assault of color that is the Emperor's Palace.

[TRAVELER: "Colovian officers have traditionally been appointed as provincial governors to the human regions of the Empire, as these often need the most forthright of the Emperor's men."]*

By contrast, the Eastern people of Cyrodiil relish in garish costumes, bizarre tapestries, tattoos, brandings, and elaborate ceremony. Closer to the wellspring of civilization, they are more given to philosophy and the evolution of ancient traditions. The Nibenese find the numinous in everything around them, and their different cults are too numerous to mention (the most famous are the Cult of the Ancestor-Moth, the Cult of Heroes, the Cult of Tiber Septim, and the Cult of Emperor Zero). To the Colovians, the ancestor worship and esoteric customs of the East can often be bizarre. Akaviri dragon-motifs are found in all quarters, from the high minaret bridges of the Imperial City to the paper hako skiffs that villagers use to wing their dead down the rivers. Thousands of workers ply the rice fields after the floodings, or clear the foliage of the surrounding jungle in the alternate seasons. Above them are the merchant-nobility, the temple priests and cult leaders, and the age-old aristocracy of the battlemages. The Emperor watches over them all from the towers of the Imperial City, as dragons circle overhead.

[...]

Refayj's famous declaration, "There is but one city in the Imperial Province,--" may strike the citizens of the Colovian west as mildly insulting, until perhaps they hear the rest of the remark, which continues, "--but one city in Tamriel, but one city in the World; that, my brothers, is the city of the Cyrodiils." From the shore it is hard to tell what is city and what is Palace, for it all rises from the islands of the lake towards the sky in a stretch of gold. Whole neighborhoods rest on the jeweled bridges that connect the islands together. Gondolas and river-ships sail along the watery avenues of its flooded lower dwellings. Moth-priests walk by in a cloud of ancestors; House Guards hold exceptionally long daikatanas crossed at intersections, adorned with ribbons and dragon-flags; and the newly arrived Western legionnaires sweat in the humid air. The river mouth is tainted red from the tinmi soil of the shore, and river dragons rust their hides in its waters. Across the lake the Imperial City continues, merging into the villages of the southern red river and ruins left from the Interregnum.

The Emperor's Palace is a crown of sun rays, surrounded by his magical gardens. One garden path is known as Green Emperor Road-here, topiaries of the heads of past Emperors have been shaped by sorcery and can speak. When one must advise Tiber Septim, birds are drawn to the hedgery head, using their songs as its voice and moving its branches for the needed expressions.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

If memory serves the guy that came up with all the crazy poo poo in Morrowind was also a literal crazy person who ended up not lasting long enough to affect Oblivion. If memory serves his vision was that the Imperials lived in a jungle and the ruins left over by the ancient elves were pretty crazy. He also came up with ideas like Green Emperor Way being where all the old emperors lived on as spirits in trees to advise the new emperors. One of the things that made Morrowind so unique was that this guy came up with CHIM, Red Mountain, Dagoth Ur, and all that jazz. I think that that's the only game he had a major hand in.

One of the reasons Morrowind still stands out is just the setting, really. It's a delight to explore because it actually feels like a weird, alien landscape that makes some kind of sense. A hell of a lot of thought went in to how the world works in Vvardenfell and how the people there respond to it.

Oblivion went more in the direction of generic high fantasy and a lot of that charm was lost.

Nah but yeah kinda.

If you play TESO, they drop more then a few in universe statements claiming that Oblivion was a mistake as a studio. How the original design doc for the game did include the jungle Rome with crazy priests, but they quickly realized such a lush environment wouldn't work on the new consoles. How nobody had really figured out the new systems yet and they got quagmired trying to develop for them, on top of trying to modernize the game in response to some of the criticism Morrowind received.

There is a book that near outright claims that "An ancient Ayleid structure with a great green X upon it seems to have drained the area of it's lush forests in both the past and the future! How baffling!" even going into how as kids they remembered Cyrodiil as a lush rainforest, then all of a sudden it wasn't and they didn't even think as to why it happened. And how it'll likely become a jungle again in the future, only to be drained again when Oblivion happens in the timeline.

Kirkbride himself left during the dev cycle of Oblivion, assumed due to how they were changing the world he built. They went back to his writings for Skyrim, which led to Skyrim being pretty close to how it was described in his writings/a much more realized area. TESO also pulled from his writing and every province ( including Cyrodiil now ) feel far more in line with how they were presented in the initial books/lore. Back to the Bosmer being quite insane cannibal murderers, Argonian being probably mindcontrolled, etc etc. And word from the rumor mill is he's actually been working with the team making the Morrowind expansion, as he posted about how it's good to be back working on his old lore with Bethesda again shortly before Morrowind got announced.

Hell, TESO itself is a rewrite of Oblivion. The plot follows most of the same threads, it just handles them better. It's basically Oblivion if it was built like Morrowind/Skyrim instead of like a fairly generic open world RPG.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
But skyrim is really boring. It has about 4 quests dressed up in different costumes.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Skyrim making Alduin a separate entity instead of just the way the Nords see Akatosh was sort of lame.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Rookersh posted:

Hell, TESO itself is a rewrite of Oblivion. The plot follows most of the same threads, it just handles them better. It's basically Oblivion if it was built like Morrowind/Skyrim instead of like a fairly generic open world RPG.

I've been flirting with different MMOs for the past few months and between this post and glancing through the MMO HMO thread I think I'll finally give TESO a try.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I noticed that TESO is a game you can buy outright. Steam has a gold edition with dlc included, but i see there's also a subscription model that's apparently not unlike SW:TOR's? If i pick up TESO, should I just get the base game @ $30 usd and subscribe for content access rather than have permanent access to all the dlc i'd pay out the rear end for?

can anyone provide some input on the quality of TESO too? I don't really like MMOs anymore. If it plays like WoW I'm afraid I'm not too interested. If it plays like an elder scrolls game with a few little MMO trappings that's more interesting to me.

Lord knows skyrim and morrowind have enough to occupy me for a while if TESO actually sucks

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
When I played the beta it was standard wow go here harvest this trash. And the art style was pretty cartoony. Maybe it's improved since then? The combat was nothing like any of the single player games.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yeah, I feel like a lot of people don't realise how much Oblivion is a call back to Daggerfall. And a lot of its problems are problems Daggerfall had.
Daggerfall is a great game and I'm glad it exists but I refuse to believe anyone actually plays and enjoys it

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Oh there's still people who play it. I just watched an LP where the guy took nothing but language skills. Whether he enjoyed it...

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Daggerfall looks like a game I might enjoy trying, if I had grown up during that era of weird experimental RPGs, but as it stands morrowind is about as far back as I'm able to go without wanting to pull my loving hair out.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

basic hitler posted:

Daggerfall looks like a game I might enjoy trying, if I had grown up during that era of weird experimental RPGs, but as it stands morrowind is about as far back as I'm able to go without wanting to pull my loving hair out.

I tried Daggerfall a while back and it's definitely hard to play in a modern context. Frustrating bugs, just enormous areas of randomly generated nothingness, etc. It was ambitious for its time but it shows its age. Still, I do think it showed the ambitious and creative spirit that eventually resulted in Morrowind. I think the problems of Oblivion and Skyrim are mostly that Bethesda wanted to take them mainstream and make that sweet AAA money. Which they've been massively successful at. There's really no motivation for them to try to do anything too experimental or weird when they will get piles of AAA gamer money and they know all us dorks will buy it and play it anyway because we know how to hate but we don't know how to stop ourselves from hoping the next one will be what we want either.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I liked when Bloodmoon came out, you could simply waterwalk or fly across the sea and the expansion island was actually there. It wasn't an instance or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Elder Scrolls is always going to have the problem of the lore being a million times more interesting than anything they can really do on a console.

Retcons aside, the Imperial City is a real good example. A giant metropolitan melting pot of a dozen cultures? Sounds great! The 360 can only render twenty dudes at a time before the engine explodes? Oh.