Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
They merged Better Relations over Time and Improve relations a patch or two ago. So not just diplomats but national ideas and the idea in diplomacy also got buffed.

If we're talking about advisers who only get used for a month and then sacked I'd say stability cost guy is a way worse offender than the diplo rep one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Tendronai posted:

They merged Better Relations over Time and Improve relations a patch or two ago. So not just diplomats but national ideas and the idea in diplomacy also got buffed.

If we're talking about advisers who only get used for a month and then sacked I'd say stability cost guy is a way worse offender than the diplo rep one.

Perhaps stability cost guy could also slightly improve religious unity, that might be an interesting take, as I have never taken the stability cost guy.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Tendronai posted:

Oh god drat I wish I knew that when I was tearing apart the HRE in my previous games. That's great to know.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Jabor posted:

Diplo Rep dude helps you annex vassals faster.

Wafflecopper posted:

except in the circumstances above

Wafflecopper posted:

Unless you're going for HRE votes or are diplo annexing someone,

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Tendronai posted:

Stability cost guy also has a few good events tied to him iirc, so it's not a terrible idea to keep him around.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Node posted:

Yeah I suppose that is a good point.

I just read something that I wasn't aware of. I'm reading that the Diplomat now improves relationship decay as well as increases relations faster. Is that really true? Because holy poo poo I am using more Diplomats now.

Yes, BROT and Improved Relations were merged into one stat that does both. Which is good because Improved Relations was pretty worthless by itself.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Perhaps stability cost guy could also slightly improve religious unity, that might be an interesting take, as I have never taken the stability cost guy.

Increased stability already increases missionary strength, which effectively means your religious unity will be higher for longer. It'd be a bit weird if he also directly affected unity.

Whoever was knocking on diplo advisors: trade and tariff guys are both really good in the right situation (as in "pay for themselves ten times over" good). Diplo rep and better relations guys are both extremely handy if you're expanding at all. Colonial range guy is mostly not very useful but sometimes a life saver:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Fister Roboto posted:

Yes, BROT and Improved Relations were merged into one stat that does both. Which is good because Improved Relations was pretty worthless by itself.

That was a good decision. The only time I'd think the old version of improve relations would be nice was if you're the emperor of the HRE.

skasion posted:

Colonial range guy is mostly not very useful but sometimes a life saver:

Oh, good point. That can be a game changer in the right circumstance.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also the trade efficiency guy is really good in tandem with a master of the mint, because it makes you eligible for a ridiculous event that can give you five mercantilism at the cost of 1 stability, or 200 ADM and DIP for free.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Not relevant for the current playthrough but if you form Scandinavia do you get any unique ideas or traditions or do you just keep the ones of your old kingdom?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Every nation formation decision now triggers an event that lets you decide if you want to adopt the new national ideas or not. Scandinavia doesn't have its own ideas though, and if you're Sweden, then forming Scandinavia makes you ineligible for a lot of really good Swedish events (unless they changed that recently).

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
So how does feeding a vassal work? I am not finding a way to give them provinces in the treaty screen even though they have a claim, though I have seen the AI's peace offers able to do so. Is there some other way to take the provinces and give them to vassals aside from selling them?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

So how does feeding a vassal work? I am not finding a way to give them provinces in the treaty screen even though they have a claim, though I have seen the AI's peace offers able to do so. Is there some other way to take the provinces and give them to vassals aside from selling them?

When you click on an occupied province(outside of the peace offer mode, just the normal map), there should be a little shield you can click to transfer occupation to any of your vassals or allies during the war. *Careful* Just because you can transfer the occupation does not necessarily mean they can core it.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Tendronai posted:

Yeah there are some idea sets which got a serious boost from this, off the top of my head Khmer gets 15% improved relations

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

IncredibleIgloo posted:

When you click on an occupied province(outside of the peace offer mode, just the normal map), there should be a little shield you can click to transfer occupation to any of your vassals or allies during the war. *Careful* Just because you can transfer the occupation does not necessarily mean they can core it.

That did it! Thanks! They should probably throw that on the wiki or something, didn't have any luck finding that information elsewhere.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Fister Roboto posted:

Every nation formation decision now triggers an event that lets you decide if you want to adopt the new national ideas or not. Scandinavia doesn't have its own ideas though, and if you're Sweden, then forming Scandinavia makes you ineligible for a lot of really good Swedish events (unless they changed that recently).

Which is kinda dumb, but since Paradox is Swedish based I doubt anyone will win that argument.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Wafflecopper posted:

The improve relations minister is really good since it speeds up AE decay, which is a bonus that remains useful over time and translates directly into faster expansion. Unless you're going for HRE votes or are diplo annexing someone, the diplo rep advisor is only useful for as long as it takes to sign the alliance deal then you might as well fire him and get one that boosts trade or something.

Another use for the diplomat is if you're hunting PUs, which I guess is still more of a Euro usage.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i wonder if the asia revamp will make three mountains any easier. or harder

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

From what we've seen on stream so far, becoming Emperor of China and passing all the reforms gives 10% reduced core creation, amongst other benefits, so I'm gonna guess easier.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

oddium posted:

If tributary states count then I imagine much easier because of how fast you can pick those up.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
So I learned that despite how fun blobbing is, taking 10-20 years off war to invest in fuckloads of buildings and cultures and the like makes a big difference. I only had to debase my way to 10 corruption in one coalition war as the Commonwealth, and now I'm making 50 ducats a month in 1600 with my maintenance turned down. Too bad I didn't do that in my France PU the world game.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
fr: a way to tell how many days are in a month because i am a huge moron who has hosed up because june has 30 days and not 31 god dammit

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Arrhythmia posted:

fr: a way to tell how many days are in a month because i am a huge moron who has hosed up because june has 30 days and not 31 god dammit

alt-tab and open windows calendar?

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Arrhythmia posted:

Count on your knuckles?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

oddium posted:

Is it even possible at this point? I watched DDRJake's old run of it, and he wanted to do a one tag Ryukyu run, but had to settle for vassals. He was was abusing a ton of mechanics that you can't do anymore.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Arrhythmia posted:

The game ought to use the Julian calendar until 1582, or if playing as Ethiopia.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Node posted:

Is it even possible at this point? I watched DDRJake's old run of it, and he wanted to do a one tag Ryukyu run, but had to settle for vassals. He was was abusing a ton of mechanics that you can't do anymore.

I'm pretty sure DDRJake's job at paradox is to make sure that poo poo like 3 Mountains isn't actually possible for the sake of game balance. And the only way to do that is to keep trying to do it over and over again every new patch

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Arrhythmia posted:

Here's a rhyme.

Thirty days have September,
April, June, and November.
All the rest have 31,
Except for February, that's the one.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Node posted:

It's still pretty doable. In fact, it's probably an easier WC than a lot of other OPM starts, since you have lots of colonial expansion opportunities and don't need to worry about someone trying to snack on you early.

One-tagging might be a challenge though.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

Here's a rhyme.

Thirty days have September,
April, June, and November.
All the rest have 31,
Except for February, that's the one.

This never helped me because half the months end in -ber and I can never remember which ones are in the rhyme. The knuckle thing is way better

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Wafflecopper posted:

This never helped me because half the months end in -ber and I can never remember which ones are in the rhyme. The knuckle thing is way better

It helps if you had to repeat over and over in primary school until you had it memorized.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Node posted:

IIRC there were at least 2 posted in this thread for the 1.19 patch

Here's one: https://www.reddit.com/r/eu4/comments/5mweqm/119_three_mountains_onetag/

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Have any of you ever used the Defender of the Faith CB? I'm about to try and take my first real bite out of the Ottomans (their army is currently the same size as mine, but they have no manpower and are at war with Persia and Armenia) and I just noticed that I have this CB because they declared on Armenia, which looks pretty ideal since it's 75% cost for a bunch of stuff, including liberation of countries

Also just dropped 3000 ducats on paying off Poland's loans, since they're my ally and won't join the war otherwise. I've locked down the spice trade so I'm richer than god at this point, no big deal

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
https://twitter.com/producerjohan/status/833212981928456192

:toot:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I am meticulously avoiding starting any games in the China / Japan / Korea region but it's getting pretty hard to wait :mad:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
lol of course Ming would be super stable and also take Exploration in my Orissa game

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I don't know how y'all are getting stable Mings in the current patch, I'm pretty sure I haven't played a single iron man game in the last year where they haven't exploded before 1500.

I hope all these new Chinese mechanics have the effect that if Ming explodes, a nation that isn't human can conceivably reunify the whole empire. Usually you just wind up with three or four minors eating the rest of them and then sitting around in a stalemate of mutual alliance webs forever/until the player barges in and crushes them.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Here's the Orissa game I mentioned, someone mentioned going for the Servitor of Jagganath (own all Tropical Wood provinces) and that seemed like a pretty fun achievement.

You start with an awesome ruler/general and I think the best early strategy is to go ham on Bengal and the minor nations in the Bengal node so you can get all that sweet cash, Bengal is a very good node. Probably don't expand south into Andhra early on, between 1460-1470 if you own those provinces there's a nasty succession war event that can fire.

Orissa has decent NIs but imo the most important thing for non-Euro nations is having good rulers. Orissa starts with a great one, as a Hindu you can reliably get 1-2 points in a stat from contemplation and they have +1 Prestige and +1 Legitimacy from NIs so you can reroll heirs pretty easily.

I think this run is going pretty well, I'm expanding as much as possible in India and SE Asia but am limited by AE and coalitions at this point. I'm particularly worried about getting into a coalition war with Ming involved since they're stable and have finished Quantity ideas. I might be able to beat them but it would be a nightmare and I'm more focused on getting my colonial empire running right now.

To own all Tropical Wood you basically need to conquer or colonize most of tropical South America, Africa, and SE Asia so I'm going heavy colonial. As I mentioned I just noticed Ming took Exploration so I'll have them for colonial competition as well. In the grand scheme that's probably a good thing actually, because I can take their colonies cheaply and it gives me an end boss.

Worth noting that forming Bharat/Hindustan gives you permanent claims on all of India which is very nice.\

Edit: umm isn't Ming supposed to have a 50% autonomy floor? In my game all their provinces are at 0%

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 19, 2017

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Random idea for any Paradox guys listening; I won a war against Ajuuraan in my Ethiopia game but my army got stuck in the uncolonized area between the country and a wasteland. (Yeah, partially my fault there.) Since there was no way I was going to get military access from someone I just defeated I had to trucebreak in order to get my army out, which ended up with me being coalitioned by every country in sight. It would be nice if the game figured out if an army would be softlocked by this and give them black flag status so they can get back home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Thanks for the writeup. But,

Pellisworth posted:

as a Hindu you can reliably get 1-2 points in a stat from contemplation

what do you mean here? I haven't played as a Dharmic nation in a long time.

• Locked thread