Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm glad this discussion happened because "say the go" was the most :wtf: part of watching the episode. Now I know there's a pun instead of thinking that Japanese people haven't progressed past All Your Base as a nation. I now think "oh that's clever" instead of leaning into racial stereotypes.

"Seiza change" would make wonder whether or not I heard them right, but I'd probably shrug and accept it. Which still beats racial stereotypes. Either translation will require a "keikaku = plan" thing for people who have the very smallest of Japanese vocabularies to truly know what's going on, but OT presumably decided their viewer cares to lean more Japanese than I do.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

After Let's Morphin' and Let's Drivin' (between many other examples, I just remember Go-Busters the most) I kind of just took SAY THE X as being the usual Engrish.

That it is both the usual Engrish and a weird pun is the most Japanese thing ever. I love it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I'm not sure what it says about me that I didn't bat an eyelash at "Say the Change" or " Say the Go."

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

After Let's Morphin' and Let's Drivin' (between many other examples, I just remember Go-Busters the most) I kind of just took SAY THE X as being the usual Engrish.

That it is both the usual Engrish and a weird pun is the most Japanese thing ever. I love it.

Japanese punning is basically a cultural artform at this point.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Okay, so, lemme get this straight:

It's "Say the Change" in the original Japanese because that way for Japanese speakers it's a dumb pun on seiza (星座 "constellation") even though it's nonsense in English, and OT preserved the nonsense pun because it's the actual line in the Japanese script but TVN just straight up pretends the pun isn't there but also didn't bother to translate the word being referenced by the pun.

:ms:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Xarbala posted:

Okay, so, lemme get this straight:

It's "Say the Change" in the original Japanese because that way for Japanese speakers it's a dumb pun on seiza (星座 "constellation") even though it's nonsense in English, and OT preserved the nonsense pun because it's the actual line in the Japanese script but TVN just straight up pretends the pun isn't there but also didn't bother to translate the word being referenced by the pun.

:ms:

And also because supplemental material, like

Fezz posted:

:thejoke:
https://twitter.com/Evilspacewhale/status/831937955296112640

If TVN wanted an accurate translation then they should call it Constellation Change. Also "say the" and "seiza" sound the same.

shows the quote as English.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if there is one thing tvn does well, it is not translating things

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
apparently tv-nihon translated 1-2-3 MOO as 1-2-3 GO! so there's more accuracy

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Goddammit one rule, don't say good things about TVN

One

Rule

I'm calling the cops

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
How are their anime subs? I also have Fairy Musketeer from them because it looks adorable and has music by Marhy.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Getsuya posted:

How are their anime subs? I also have Fairy Musketeer from them because it looks adorable and has music by Marhy.

I was unable to watch Zoids Genesis or Gaiking because the subs were so badly written. (Eventually I found raws of the latter.)

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
When Magenta was translating Heartcatch Precure for TVN, he translated Cure Blossom's catchphrase as "I'm not going to put up with it!" or "I've had enough!"

When Magenta stopped doing it and one of the other TVN guys took over, they decided to translate it as "My bag of tolerance has snapped!"

That is my story about TVN anime subs.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Awesome. Can't wait to have great stories about how bad their Akazukin sub is.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Coq au Nandos posted:

My preferred source sends to use TVN, so I've had the chance to watch the OT subs and then the TVN ones.

TVN seems to have put a little bit more thought into their translations. Where OT translates the morphing cry into 'say the change/go', TVN goes with 'seiza change/go' because the thing is called a Seiza Blaster and seiza apparently translates to 'constellation'. They also call Hammy 'Hame' because it's part of the word 'chameleon'. It's kind of little things but when the whole show is apparently based around puns I'm enjoying that TVN are putting the effort in to understand and convey every piece of wordplay.

MOTHERFUCKER THEY SAID TRANSLATING poo poo WAS CULTURAL WHITEWASHING

gently caress YOU THEY AREN'T PUTTING THE EFFORT INTO poo poo

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

MOTHERFUCKER THEY SAID TRANSLATING poo poo WAS CULTURAL WHITEWASHING

gently caress YOU THEY AREN'T PUTTING THE EFFORT INTO poo poo

gently caress dude, I don't know the history. Sorry for bringing it up.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
To be fair, it's plastered all of the thread title and OP

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Coq au Nandos posted:

gently caress dude, I don't know the history. Sorry for bringing it up.

Did you think "don't say nice things about TVN or I will call the police" was a joke

Or that I don't link to any of their subs out of laziness

No, they're loving garbage. They don't translate huge portions of their shows because they're fuckin weebs, and the parts they do translate are either a)wildly incorrect or b) so literal as to stop making sense

Why do you think so many people are retranslating shows they did years ago

Goddamn son have you ever read this thread

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The police are on their way

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

The police are on their way

*muffled sound clip* judgement time

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro

I think your bag of tolerance has snapped.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

They don't translate huge portions of their shows because they're fuckin weebs

I mean that's also kind of why someone would translate wordplay literally without any explanation that there's wordplay going on. So you lost on that account. This seems like one of those projects that needs two subtitle tracks, the one that's all super literal and the one that focuses on clarity even if the results aren't pretty.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

no go on Quiznos posted:

I think your bag of tolerance has snapped.

"Toku Thread X: Your Bag of Tolerance has Snapped"

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I'm still waiting on the second or third episode of Kyuranger before I think it's earned, but I think a good thread title would be "2017 Toku Thread: Year of the Hot Mess."

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
tvn is objectively trash across the board

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm still fond of the cute little color and logo effects they put on transformation phrases and finishers.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think the transformations and finishers are flashy enough on their own merits.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Well, hey, look at that, it's a subject change!

I'm hoping that OT skipping Ex-Aid means that they're going to put that extra time into their side projects. I'd love to see Dekaranger/Timeranger finished some time this decade. Sentai has always seemed to me like a higher priority than KR for them, at least since they skipped Gaim. :shrug:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Craptacular! posted:

I mean that's also kind of why someone would translate wordplay literally without any explanation that there's wordplay going on. So you lost on that account. This seems like one of those projects that needs two subtitle tracks, the one that's all super literal and the one that focuses on clarity even if the results aren't pretty.

On the other hand TVN didn't translate it at all, as they always do, and Kyoryuger had a million puns that OT took the time to localize so that they made sense

Don't defend TVN

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Kyuranger 02 is pretty good stuff.

Balance seems like he'll be a pretty fun character.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Dexie posted:

Kyuranger 02 is pretty good stuff.

Balance seems like he'll be a pretty fun character.

Balance is great, yeah. I also like Naga a lot more than I was expecting to. Being a rebellious personality from his planet of people who abolished emotions is really good backstory, and I wasn't expecting him to have a weird psychic death glare.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

The Kamen Rider Brave special was really brutal in comparison to a regular episode of Ex-aid, and it made me realize how sanitized the show is, for show about doctors and hospitals. Ouja owned.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I only watched one scene (Asakura beating the everloving poo poo out of Emu, untransformed and it was insanely bloody and violent, very different from the usual in modern Rider.

Can't wait for the subs.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

RTA is already up and Excite said they'd get it done this week, so choose your poison

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I will echo that Kyuranger is in some good poo poo and I have a good feeling about it after these couple of episodes. Turning the 'Robot must find emotions' plot from Sci-Fi into 'the Robot teaches emotions' and also making the Robot voiced by Josuke do Jojo poses is fantastic.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ignis posted:

RTA is already up and Excite said they'd get it done this week, so choose your poison

The hell is RTA

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

The hell is RTA

Ex-Aid speedsubbers, their grammar can be a bit poo pooé though so if that bothers you wait for Excite to do it

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I've watched half and half and the episodes I watched RTA were basically identical.

I think I stopped replacing them with Excite at some point when Excite fell a week behind.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Okay gently caress it.

Hiiro's cool.

Ex-Aid is good.

I was wrong.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Stallion Cabana posted:

Okay gently caress it.

Hiiro's cool.

Ex-Aid is good.

I was wrong.

Hiiro's HARDCORE PARKOUR this episode was pretty loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Kyurangers is just going too fast for me. I'll watch next week's ep since it seems Taurus will have stuff going for him, but i'm getting ready to drop it, even if the visuals are amazing and Golden Josuke is cool.

• Locked thread