Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
And he was gay as the day is long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

starkebn posted:

I like your design, but I'm not sure why you think there needs to be a downside, just because?

Dramatic satisfaction.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
In Lion King 2, he ostensibly had a son, Nuka, but not only is this bullshit but no son of Jeremy Irons would ever be Andy Dick.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
In all fairness that's by far Andy Dick's best role ever.

And Scar was bi. I am comfortable with this.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Pick posted:

In Lion King 2, he ostensibly had a son, Nuka, but not only is this bullshit but no son of Jeremy Irons would ever be Andy Dick.

what about the son of Jim Cummings. would andy dick be the son of him?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I like Lion King 2 but let's be honest, it in no way fits in with TLK's timeline. I mean you could try to make an argument, but no, it really doesn't.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

what about the son of Jim Cummings. would andy dick be the son of him?

OK, the Scar that sings like half of "Be Prepared" can be the hetero one

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I should watch TLK2 again soon. And then 1.5 for the first time even though it hurts me

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Hedrigall posted:

I should watch TLK2 again soon. And then 1.5 for the first time even though it hurts me

This is insane to me. This is like how people keep saying the new Beauty and the Beast looks good. People keep saying LK2 was good and I'm like :confused: meanwhile people are saying 1.5 was bad and I still have to believe I keep getting thrown into some alternate hell dimension where every day is april fools day

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
TLK2 is fanfic trash but guilty pleasure garbage. TLK1.5 is legitimately pretty funny if you want essentially a TLK MST3K.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Timon and Pumbaa Are Dead

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I mean I get that, but much like A Clockwork Orange, I don't recall liking Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead so it's hard to remember the comparisons.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I haven't seen Lion King 1.5, I'm just amused by its existence in this context.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Timon and Pumbaa Are Dead

"There must have been a time, in the beginning, when we could have said 'no'; but somehow, we missed it", is a rather apt summation of Disney's DTV days.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Dramatic satisfaction.

His greed is what let's Moana and Maui escape when he chases the ultimate shiny thing. The Shiny things aren't the flaw they're the symptom of the flaw.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The Timon of Pumbaa cartoon show was one of the first moments I remember realizing that a cartoon show could be bad.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

starkebn posted:

His greed is what let's Moana and Maui escape when he chases the ultimate shiny thing. The Shiny things aren't the flaw they're the symptom of the flaw.

His song is supposed to be a refutation of Moana's grandmother's advice, which in turn will be shown "wrong" (seeing as he's a villain). Except he is not wrong, being shiny is great and what's on the inside doesn't really matter for him since he seems to be happy and gets lots of fish

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Schwarzwald posted:

The Timon of Pumbaa cartoon show was one of the first moments I remember realizing that a cartoon show could be bad.

Timon and Pumbaa was a much better "Disney's Ren and Stimpy" than their actual attempt to ape Ren and Stimpy (Schnookums and Meat) ever was

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Schwarzwald posted:

WHAT THE gently caress

edit: this poo poo is all a big prank on me as revenge for the Barrytoa isn't it

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Macaluso posted:

WHAT THE gently caress

edit: this poo poo is all a big prank on me as revenge for the Barrytoa isn't it

shhh just calm down and pop in your favorite movie, shark tale

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

starkebn posted:

That's loving boring.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Macaluso posted:

WHAT THE gently caress

I just remember not caring for it's humor at all, and being surprised because of how much I liked the Lion King.

Granted, I have not seen the show since then.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I would agree ultimately that that crab's thematic role in the plot isn't clearly elucidated. I suspect when we learn more, he probably had a more expanded role when the story was more about Maui. At this point he's mainly there so that Moana can do a cool thing that earns Maui's respect.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I love getting this thread all riled up about African mammal cartoons

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Tamatoa's flaw isn't hubris or greed or whatever, it's stagnancy and unwillingness to improve himself because he's happy with his lot. It's almost like...that's the plot of the entire film???

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

For anyone who enjoyed Trollhunters like me, GDT has been posting images of merchandise that's coming soon. Yuss.

Someone also posted this showcase from the NY ToyFair. The figures look so good.
https://twitter.com/Parisi2274/status/833128070303326208
Gonna get me an Argh.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
"African Mammal Cartoons" just made me think of a show I saw probably 18+ years ago, featuring a plucky protagonist boy, a giant rabbit dude, and a princess cursed to turn into a gazelle. Did this show happen? Did I hallucinate this? We got some weird cartoons in Canada sometimes.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Fangz posted:

I would agree ultimately that that crab's thematic role in the plot isn't clearly elucidated. I suspect when we learn more, he probably had a more expanded role when the story was more about Maui. At this point he's mainly there so that Moana can do a cool thing that earns Maui's respect.

Again, cannot overstate this, it was a torrid love affair. Now, I know if you go on Tumblr, you will see "humanized Tamatoa", which is ridiculous, because the one there with shapeshifting powers is Maui, and they were having gay crab sex

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

YggiDee posted:

"African Mammal Cartoons" just made me think of a show I saw probably 18+ years ago, featuring a plucky protagonist boy, a giant rabbit dude, and a princess cursed to turn into a gazelle. Did this show happen? Did I hallucinate this? We got some weird cartoons in Canada sometimes.

The Amazing Feats of Young Hercules?

e: No, I got confused, there the princess became the rabbit-like sidekick. Hrmmm.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Pick posted:

Again, cannot overstate this, it was a torrid love affair. Now, I know if you go on Tumblr, you will see "humanized Tamatoa", which is ridiculous, because the one there with shapeshifting powers is Maui, and they were having gay crab sex

Thanks for making me look up how crabs have sex (it takes ages) and whether they can be homosexual (yes)

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Magic Hate Ball posted:

That's loving boring.

I find it boring if every character that opposes the protagonists has to have something wrong with them that fucks them over.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

teagone posted:

For anyone who enjoyed Trollhunters like me, GDT has been posting images of merchandise that's coming soon. Yuss.

Someone also posted this showcase from the NY ToyFair. The figures look so good.
Gonna get me an Argh.

This makes me want to watch the show now.

But beware, concept figures at toy shows are always way better looking than the mass produced ones. See what happened between the original amiibo reveals and the first retail releases.

Pick posted:

Obviously! Tumblr can be so stupid sometimes.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Pick posted:

The Amazing Feats of Young Hercules?

e: No, I got confused, there the princess became the rabbit-like sidekick. Hrmmm.

Found it! It was called Kassai and Luk.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Yikes, we almost got through a whole page without this.

Macaluso posted:

Don't worry fam, I got you

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

teagone posted:

Gonna get me an Argh.

Alright I've never seen Trollhunters, but that brown monster in the middle is adorable.

Teagone, is the cute brown monster a main character or at the very least does he or she appear in most episodes? If they do, I kind of want to watch Trollhunters now. The blue guy with the sword is also cool.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Macaluso posted:

Don't worry fam, I got you

I know opinions on the Moana songs vary, but everytime this is posted Shiny starts playing in my head and that's got to count for something.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Alright I've never seen Trollhunters, but that brown monster in the middle is adorable.

Teagone, is the cute brown monster a main character or at the very least does he or she appear in most episodes? If they do, I kind of want to watch Trollhunters now. The blue guy with the sword is also cool.

He's part of the main cast and has shown up in every episode I've seen, although I'm only up to four.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I thought Boxtrolls was pretty bold about making the "monsters" annoying little shits who I would gladly see purged from any respectable village.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

He's part of the main cast and has shown up in every episode I've seen, although I'm only up to four.

the entire series, give or take.

It's a fun show of the saturday morning cartoon variety. It's pretty all right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

He's a main character, appears in pretty much all the episodes, and his name is Arrrgh. He explicitly says it's spelled with 3 R's when we're introduced to him :3:

Him and Draal (not pictured, I hope he gets a figure too) are my favorite trolls in the show. Blinky is the one with four arms, voiced by Kelsey Grammer, and he's pretty great too. The big blue guy with the sword is Bular, the primary villain in the first narrative arc, voiced by Ron Perlman.

Hedrigall posted:

This makes me want to watch the show now.

You should! It takes a handful of episodes for it to really get going but once it does, it's a fun ride all the way to the end :)

teagone fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Feb 19, 2017