Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

However I hit Save instead of Save As so that's now Birbie's front sprite.

This is an improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

SpruceZeus posted:

dunsparce is great and cool and possibly my favorite pokemon of all time? maybe number two it's a close contest

what it doesn't need, though, is an evolution. i don't understand at all why everybody wants it to have one. maybe a mega evo tops, maybe.

Mostly because it has completely garbage stats.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

hopeandjoy posted:

This is why OFS threads are sooooo good.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

I feel like we've got a goon project in the making.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I mean the game does not care if I have totally wacky files so long as they have the right name and format. It displays 007.png for a Chyinmunk.

Even if 007.png is something out there.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

I mean the game does not care if I have totally wacky files so long as they have the right name and format. It displays 007.png for a Chyinmunk.

Even if 007.png is something out there.

We're on a dangerous slope right now.

Let's ramp it

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

The thing that bugs me the most about Birbie's design is mostly the eye really.

Looks a lot better, and if you make the white of the eye a bright blue color (like Pikipek) you can keep the theme of having a big face on the front to ward of predators.

Pokemon has a lot of very well defined stylistic stuff to it, particularly in eyes/claws/etc. The most jarring thing to me usually is how fan designs tend to not follow this very well. Spritework dithering or poorly-defined shapes be damned.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Tyty posted:

Looks a lot better, and if you make the white of the eye a bright blue color (like Pikipek) you can keep the theme of having a big face on the front to ward of predators.

Pokemon has a lot of very well defined stylistic stuff to it, particularly in eyes/claws/etc. The most jarring thing to me usually is how fan designs tend to not follow this very well. Spritework dithering or poorly-defined shapes be damned.

I think you should workshop it some more.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

This thread is turning magical.

Danaru posted:

Let's ramp it

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Danaru posted:

Let's ramp it

I wholeheartedly agree.

Goons are only separated from heaven by that which they will not ramp.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Are Turkey's Flying type?

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

I think you should workshop it some more.

on it boss

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Tyty posted:

on it boss

:popeye:

I knew there was a reason I wanted you for Awful Emblem.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

FPzero posted:

:popeye:

I knew there was a reason I wanted you for Awful Emblem.

You mean besides cronyism?

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012

Tyty posted:

But that's what I like about it. The design isn't perfect, but it's got a cute-but-weird vibe to it. Something like this:

FeyerbrandX posted:

Are Turkey's Flying type?

please do not spoil birbie's evolutions thnx

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Tyty posted:

on it boss

Holy poo poo :five:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Tyty posted:

on it boss

Someone shoot this to the dev, I wanna see if they flip poo poo that someone did an improvement on their game.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Thread's turning into something from chronenberg. LETS KEEP RAMPING IT UP PEOPLE. THIS SUSTAINS US.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

I can imagine that it can be hard to come up with a design for your fake pokemon, especially if you're making like, 150 of them or however many you decide to include. Not every idea can be good, and even some good ideas might just not pan out as well in the final product. Like, Chiynmunk, and Birbie. Like, they're alright enough. They could be better or improved a bit, but the idea is pretty solid (for Birbie anyways), and I get what they're going for. But then you get Barewl and it's like "what the heck is this strange beast".

I can imagine the design came about like this, more or less:

Though it'd be an improvement if that was the case.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Let's Redesign Pokemon Uranium Because It's Trash

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
we have barely started the game and already it is turning magical

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Tyty posted:

on it boss

Only 200 more to improve upon! :v:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Crosspeice posted:

:yeah:

I remember Quovak did a whole thing in his golden sun LP about fixing the problems with it. It would be pretty cool to collectively do the same to uranium.

CoffeeAvenger
Nov 3, 2016

XavierGenisi posted:

I can imagine that it can be hard to come up with a design for your fake pokemon, especially if you're making like, 150 of them or however many you decide to include. Not every idea can be good, and even some good ideas might just not pan out as well in the final product. Like, Chiynmunk, and Birbie. Like, they're alright enough. They could be better or improved a bit, but the idea is pretty solid (for Birbie anyways), and I get what they're going for. But then you get Barewl and it's like "what the heck is this strange beast".

I can imagine the design came about like this, more or less:

Though it'd be an improvement if that was the case.

It's like he stuck the masked man's helmet on a Mr. Saturn, replaced the nose with a tail and called it a pokemon.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

Pokemon Uranium: A Region Reborn

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Tyty posted:

on it boss

LoseHound posted:

But that's what I like about it. The design isn't perfect, but it's got a cute-but-weird vibe to it.

Birbie is acceptably weird-cute in its current form, but the redesign is quality work, well done.

CoffeeAvenger posted:

It's like he stuck the masked man's helmet on a Mr. Saturn, replaced the nose with a tail and called it a pokemon.

Would totally want to see a Masked Mr. Saturn, though.

Reimou
Jan 20, 2015
Heh, the first time I discovered asset-swapping, I made some very immature changes to an old Windows 95 game called Castle of the Winds. That Teen Birbie Squad goof was a great mistake.

Regarding the actual game, one very unfortunate technical issue persisting throughout the game, that I don't believe has been mentioned yet, is how choppy it is. The FPS is regularly in the teens on the overworld map areas, and in-battle I've had it chug down to single digits. I believe this is a compatibility issue with the specific RPG Maker engine used for Uranium on modern hardware, so there isn't really any good fix for it. Even if you go into the project with as much good faith as possible, it's hard to not assume that's a laziness issue, instead of an unfixable technical issue (aside from completely porting the game up to a new RPG maker version, which I have no idea how practical that is).

If this game only makes 25% of its shots that's still pretty acceptable for amateur work, in my opinion. I do wish the community wasn't so unfortunate; I ended up getting temp-banned from the Pokemon Uranium subreddit, and never felt like going back, but I guess that's my fault for trying to go against the grain of that community.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

GeneX posted:

:yeah:

I remember Quovak did a whole thing in his golden sun LP about fixing the problems with it. It would be pretty cool to collectively do the same to uranium.

I had examining fully-evolved pokemon with something like that in mind, though it'll have to wait as the first thing I get fully-evolved is a canon Pokemon.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
A lot of the design here seems to be based around either throwing whatever the artists could put together and then statting it based on appearance or to arbitrarily fill some kind of meta. There's a very common and recurring issue around the type combinations and coverage they choose for the Fakemon but I'll let OFS go over that. Needless to say, it doesn't even remotely consider the possibility that children or just casual players of the series would be playing this.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
When I saw the intro to this, I couldn't help but think about this treasure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBC05NIndvQ

AmewTheFox
Oct 7, 2015

I AM THE STRENGTH

"The-e-e same!"

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.

RareAcumen posted:

Pokemon Uranium: A Region Reborn

A Brave New Pokémon
A Pokémon Too Far
Pokémon Over Troubled Waters
Their Pokémon Were Watching Arceus

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Aesclepia posted:

A Brave New Pokémon
A Pokémon Too Far

Nowtoch Nights

quote:

"It's kind of chilly in here " commiserated Bamb'o. "How come you look so hot?"
"It's this sunlight, groaned Dick Solomon, "I'm boiling on one side and freezing on the other."
The waiter brought their appetizers and set them in front of them. "More beer," he queried? "It's on the house."
"Sure" quipped Dick Solomon and Bamb'o together. The waiter refilled their mugs.
"Hot enough for you?" he quipped?
"Yes," shivered Dick Solomon. I'm boiling on one side and freezing on the other."
"Like Fire and ice."
"Try the cold beer," offered the waiter. " That should help cool you down some."
Bamb'o rubbed his pepper and salt beard, then brushed backs his close trimmed hair.
"Here's to further success with your company," he enjoined. Dick Solomon returned the toast and they clanged their frosty mugs of dark beer together, than swilled large mouthfuls down."
"Ahhh . . . ," declaimed Dick Solomon, "That was good. Cold."

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The Thin Red 'Dex

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Who says pepper before salt

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Crosspeice posted:

This sounds great. Lets do it.

Everyone picks a uranium pokemon then gets to redraw it and we replace the sprites with the re-draw.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Give me a random lottery and I'd be up for that.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

You know, I think we should just let the game have a chance to show us what it's got. After all, aside from the dead mom and parental abandonment setup, it's a good start to the ga-

Oh. My condolences to Dick Solomon.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Gridlocked posted:

This sounds great. Lets do it.

Everyone picks a uranium pokemon then gets to redraw it and we replace the sprites with the re-draw.

I'd be down for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Aesclepia posted:

A Brave New Pokémon
A Pokémon Too Far

Heartgold/soulsilver of darkness

• Locked thread