Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Soul Glo posted:

Cube would be better in pods, absolutely.

I love not waiting for rounds though. I got two drafts in today in the time it would have taken to do one before.

Yeah I usually multitabled and enjoyed it ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Sickening posted:

BTW, dust off your bulk bin Basilisk Collar's because they are more than 30 bucks if you can even find one.

lol, is this because of the Eldrazi tron decks making all the appearances online and at the GP / SCG event?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Dehtraen posted:

lol, is this because of the Eldrazi tron decks making all the appearances online and at the GP / SCG event?

Yep.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Babylon Astronaut posted:

If that's really a Nicol Bolas themed Archenemy deck, I'm pretty stoked. Archenemy Anthology should be up next anyway.
Four decks, due out in June: https://magic.wizards.com/en/products/archenemy-nicol-bolas

What's archenemy like, anyway?

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Imagine three people playing Standard decks against one person all at the same time, but that person has two decks. He's got a normal one that plays like normal, then he's got a deck full of 3-9 mana sorceries that he gets to cast for free once a turn on his upkeep.

It is the swingiest, most luck-based format outside of a Magic themed slot machine. It's also a ton of fun on the computer just to do silly crazy things against AI opponents, and pretty much a crapshoot in real life.

Veyrall fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Feb 19, 2017

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I think it is the least feelbad form of magic for group play. It also is good for balancing your competitive decks against more casual decks and letting them do crazy poo poo with decks that have no business pulling off wins.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

What are the odds they reprint through the breach in modern masters 2017?

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I think it is the least feelbad form of magic for group play. It also is good for balancing your competitive decks against more casual decks and letting them do crazy poo poo with decks that have no business pulling off wins.
As much as I complain about needing to test on the Two-Headed Giant rules, team formats are usually pretty good for group play as well.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Archenteron posted:

Find that decklist.

Posting on page [[Invoke Predjudice]]

Cernunnos posted:

Seriously get us a decklist for that Scapeshift deck. It sounds ridiculous and i love it already.

The first list:
http://porotour.com/poro-tour-modern-top-8-pakkalistat-2/

Featuring 4x Glittering Wish and a toolbox sideboard to go with it, Madcap Experiment + Platinum Emperion, a set of Bring to Lights. The usual. Among other things.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Lunsku posted:

The first list:

Featuring 4x Glittering Wish and a toolbox sideboard to go with it, Madcap Experiment + Platinum Emperion, a set of Bring to Lights. The usual. Among other things.

:swoon: A gifts package too. :swoon:

I love this deck.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
:pusheen: And it's practice for eventual Battle of Wits play, shuffling a 150 card deck.

Cauldron Moose
Dec 25, 2010

Actually a duck

Cernunnos posted:

:swoon: A gifts package too. :swoon:

I love this deck.

And Traumatize / Spledid Reclamation for an alternate way to scapeshift?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Lunsku posted:

The first list:

What the actual gently caress am I looking at?

I think I'm in love.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Wurzag posted:

What are the odds they reprint through the breach in modern masters 2017?

They probably feel like they have to make an Arcane draft archetype for Breach to appear, and they did Arcane in MMA so I wouldn't put money on it. I feel like they haven't done a lot of one-off cards with keyword mechanics in these sets but I don't have their full set lists in front of me so I could be wrong.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I'm hoping Hellbent is one of the keywords they use, as Infernal Tutor is $20 and doesn't make Lantern that much better, but it'd nice to get for, say, $5

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

clamiam45 posted:

I don't mean for it to just sound contrary, but I really miss pod play. The fact that if your draft was a train wreck then it's likely everybody else's was too was a nice comfort. It's especially annoying in cube situations with singleton drafting.

For me, the ability to actually play through a draft quickly without waiting a random amount of time between rounds, and being able to leave between rounds and come back later, vastly, vastly outweighs any of the downsides.

Before Draft Leagues, if I wanted to draft on MTGO I could only ever do it when I knew I would be able to be locked to my computer for 3 hours straight, with a bunch of that being the miserable downtime where you wait for other matches to finish without knowing how long you're going to have to wait.

It more than makes up for the drafts where I have to play against Smuggler's Copter two rounds in a row.

I can see the argument for Cube or something where it's supposed to be singleton, but I'm never going back to non-league drafts for standard sets.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
Losing knowledge of your opponents deck thanks to a singleton format isn't worth an extra 1.5 hours of downtime per draft. As a benefit it seems to finally be teaching people to draft cooperatively with the people next to them, which they should have been doing anyway but now people aren't hate drafting third pick when they know there's virtually no chance they play against a particular card. It was always wrong but it seems to have finally gotten through to people and I see much better passing/signaling than I did in the old 8-4s.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
We went 6-3 in the team event and it was really a good time. I'm sure there will be a lot more team events because it sold out and everyone seemed to like it. We did have something happen in one of our matches at 4-2 which eliminated us from day 2 that was pretty tilting. My buddy was playing Ad Nauseam in modern and in G1 of his match he goes off, draws his deck and casts Lightning Storm and discards 9 lands which is lethal so his opponent thinks for a while and says "OK but let me see your deck." So my friend gives the guy the rest of his deck that he just drew waits a second and then starts picking up his permanents. So the opponent sees this and says "The game isn't over you just forfeited the game by picking up your permanents." After like a 15 min judge call they gave my friend the game but if anything calls for a DQ that should be it. Just blatantly trying to steal a game that is for intents and purposes over is pretty much the scummiest of the scum move and should have no place in this game. The rear end in a top hat ended up winning games 2 and 3 and knocking us out. Left a bad taste for sure.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sorry to hear that, and I can sympathize. But hopefully now you can see why I post my "gotcha rants."

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

We went 6-3 in the team event and it was really a good time. I'm sure there will be a lot more team events because it sold out and everyone seemed to like it. We did have something happen in one of our matches at 4-2 which eliminated us from day 2 that was pretty tilting. My buddy was playing Ad Nauseam in modern and in G1 of his match he goes off, draws his deck and casts Lightning Storm and discards 9 lands which is lethal so his opponent thinks for a while and says "OK but let me see your deck." So my friend gives the guy the rest of his deck that he just drew waits a second and then starts picking up his permanents. So the opponent sees this and says "The game isn't over you just forfeited the game by picking up your permanents." After like a 15 min judge call they gave my friend the game but if anything calls for a DQ that should be it. Just blatantly trying to steal a game that is for intents and purposes over is pretty much the scummiest of the scum move and should have no place in this game. The rear end in a top hat ended up winning games 2 and 3 and knocking us out. Left a bad taste for sure.

Yep, just the kind of bullshit I will heckle someone out of the store for.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Soul Glo posted:

Want that life counter

Yeah, is that going to be in Amonkhet or Archenemy then? Looks quite rad, wanna meet that die.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Lunsku posted:

The first list:

That wishboard :allears:

mcmagic posted:

No doubt that's scummy as poo poo, and I'm sorry your team lost to that dude, but why would he ask for your friend's deck in game 1 and why would your friend let him see it? Seems like that would be offsetting penalties or something if it were football.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 19, 2017

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Those type of players are the worst, all that gotcha poo poo is horrible and the guy should have been given more than a game loss. That type of play ruins the game for people, I'm glad you all enjoyed the event though. I've been watching and it looks awesome and I hope to see more.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

C-Euro posted:

That wishboard :allears:

No doubt that's scummy as poo poo, and I'm sorry your team lost to that dude, but why would he ask for your friend's deck in game 1 and why would your friend let him see it? Seems like that would be offsetting penalties or something if it were football.

You shortcut reveal your whole deck with Ad Nauseum.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Rinkles posted:

You shortcut reveal your whole deck with Ad Nauseum.

True, but if I'm playing against Ad Nauseam and I know the combo's coming I'm not going to ask my opponent to riffle through their deck; if I know I'm dead I'll just let them pick up their whole deck and make sure they pitch enough lands. If I think I can beat them mid-combo I'm just going to make them reveal cards one by one until I make my move. Also I'm just paranoid about handing my deck over to my opponent unless I get hit by something like Bribery that explicitly states "search your opponent's library".

Regardless, what the opponent did was extremely bad form and he probably figured his only out was to get your friend on a technicality like that. People who try to pull a fast one on their opponents like that place too much importance in this dumb card game for children.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 19, 2017

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Yes, guy is a poo poo head.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

C-Euro posted:

True, but if I'm playing against Ad Nauseam and I know the combo's coming I'm not going to ask my opponent to riffle through their deck. If I think I can beat them mid-combo I'm just going to make them reveal cards one by one until I make my move. Also I'm just paranoid about handing my deck over to my opponent unless I get hit by something like Bribery that explicitly states "search your opponent's library".

People have actually won by their opponent conceding on the spot when they combo off without having their combo mainboard so this is poor form

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

so the judge just gave him a game loss? I'd have DQd them. That kinda poo poo doesn't have any place in the game.

Once had a dude do some similar scummy stuff to a 10 year old at his first comp event. wasn't surprised when the kid never came back to the store.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

You can't interrupt Ad Nauseam between card reveals. Also if your entire deck is revealed you kinda have to let them look at it.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

You can't interrupt Ad Nauseam between card reveals. Also if your entire deck is revealed you kinda have to let them look at it.

The problem is the guy saying that mcmagic conceded trying to scum an edge with that.

Also, mcmagic, I think that the Judge just let you win that game, rather than winning PLUS your opponent getting a GL right?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

TheTofuShop posted:

so the judge just gave him a game loss? I'd have DQd them. That kinda poo poo doesn't have any place in the game.

It sounds like there was no penalty. McMagic's friend had already won the game, the judge just said that the angle shooting didn't work. No penalty, no moral, guy is going to keep trying to pull that trick because it's a freebie.

C-Euro posted:

True, but if I'm playing against Ad Nauseam and I know the combo's coming I'm not going to ask my opponent to riffle through their deck; if I know I'm dead I'll just let them pick up their whole deck and make sure they pitch enough lands. If I think I can beat them mid-combo I'm just going to make them reveal cards one by one until I make my move. Also I'm just paranoid about handing my deck over to my opponent unless I get hit by something like Bribery that explicitly states "search your opponent's library".

In addition to "make sure they have a way to kill you", you should always ask to see their deck in that situation to see if they have anything notable you should play around, or to see how they sideboarded if it's g2/g3. It's information available to you and you should take advantage of it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
^^^
Looking at the deck is fine. All the cards are revealed with Ad Nauseam.

Serperoth posted:

The problem is the guy saying that mcmagic conceded trying to scum an edge with that.

Also, mcmagic, I think that the Judge just let you win that game, rather than winning PLUS your opponent getting a GL right?

Correct. The ruling was just that my friend had won the game that he had already won. He didn't get any penalty other than losing the game he had already lost.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

suicidesteve posted:

Yeah you're right on the first point, misremembered how the timing on Ad Nauseam worked. For the second point I just don't like letting my opponents touch my deck outside of cutting and the aforementioned Bribery effects. If they want to see it I'm going to lay it out on the table, impratical though it may be. I wouldn't want them to palm a valuable card or something, or take me below 60 cards and then call a judge over and DQ me for an illegal deck. As this story and others have pointed out there are a lot of crazy people at these things!

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Geez, not even a Warning? I'm with sickening on this one, that's the kind of behavior that will cause me to loudly heckle you. That's not even "angle shooting" that's just cheating.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

mcmagic posted:

Correct. The ruling was just that my friend had won the game that he had already won. He didn't get any penalty other than losing the game he had already lost.

Man that's not a Judge I'd love to see at my table then.

Although, word of advice, might as well give them a few seconds before picking up, to have a better case for the Judge. That is some seriously Not Ok poo poo, to the point of Cheating (which is a DQ). Maybe wouldn't pass, but this isn't FNM, it was round 7 of a GP (or equivalent), correct?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Serperoth posted:

Man that's not a Judge I'd love to see at my table then.

Although, word of advice, might as well give them a few seconds before picking up, to have a better case for the Judge. That is some seriously Not Ok poo poo, to the point of Cheating (which is a DQ). Maybe wouldn't pass, but this isn't FNM, it was round 7 of a GP (or equivalent), correct?

Correct.

I hope that Turns player that was just on camera at GP Vancouver conceded....

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
The "turbo" turns deck is paired up with the unburial rites gifts deck (which is piloted by a deliberately slow player), both have a draw going into the round and both now have a 2nd draw due to the snails pace of the game. Unburial Rites player Iona out on blue but couldn't close out the game fast enough and the turns player declined to concede

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Don't play competitive magic folks.

Or better yet, don't play it at all.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dehtraen posted:

The "turbo" turns deck is paired up with the unburial rites gifts deck (which is piloted by a deliberately slow player), both have a draw going into the round and both now have a 2nd draw due to the snails pace of the game. Unburial Rites player Iona out on blue but couldn't close out the game fast enough and the turns player declined to concede

Unburial rites gifts players playing slow pisses me off, as someone who used to play that kind of deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

moush posted:

Don't play competitive magic folks.

Or better yet, don't play it at all.

To put my devil's advocate hat on for a second, competitive anything is gonna involve scummy opponents sometimes, and being able to persuade judges is a vital skill for competitive play because even if everyone is acting in good faith you're gonna have to do it occasionally.

• Locked thread