Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I was going to ask if the bus is watertight but clearly you're in a better spot than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

No probation? Well, here's an update.

I'm glad she didn't murder you.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
So am I. I actually hid the gun. It worked out, I think.

And the bus is perfectly water tight against rain, IOC :mad:. I only had to replace all the seals. :colbert:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

And the bus is perfectly water tight against rain, IOC :mad:. I only had to replace all the seals. :colbert:

You'd think seals would want to let the water in! :downsrim:

Glad you're doing ok, man.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

How did she take it?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Better than expected. Still in the running for #1 worst day of the year, by far, but better than last time.

Her prozac has definitely helped smooth things out, by far. Probably the reason cops weren't called, and nobody's dead.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

It was never going to be an easy thing to do. Onwards and Upwards mate, onwards and upwards.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Better than expected. Still in the running for #1 worst day of the year, by far, but better than last time.
Just means it will only get better from here. You did the right thing and I'm glad you convinced yourself to get out.

On a completely unrelated note my house is a loving madhouse right now. We have two dogs, they're great mellow dogs. The two foster puppies I'd posted about are doing great. So great in fact they're running laps around the house and decided they wanted to party at 2am last night. If that wasn't enough we're babysitting a three year old lab...he weighs around 130lb. He's also running laps with the puppies. Girlfriend bought a 10x6x6 dog kennel at home depot on the way home Friday so we assembled that (in the rain) yesterday but I need to go around and zip tie the hell out of the bottom fence/rail because they escaped in roughly 0.0001 seconds.

Me right now

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Crates, you need dog crates for night time.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Pretty sweet pad, really

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

angryrobots posted:

Crates, you need dog crates for night time.

The puppies are in crates in the garage for night, feeding and time out. We normally sleep through any noise they make but the lab was doing little half rear end barks every time they barked.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Needs more racecar bed.

Honestly though I'm happy for you, it sounds like you got out without too much drama so you've got headspace to figure out exactly what you're going to do.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Her prozac has definitely helped smooth things out, by far. Probably the reason cops weren't called, and nobody's dead.

I completely missed the back story here. Wife or gf?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
technical chat if you super duper want to be probated for whatever reason please report yoself or have someone else report you

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone else with Geico have extremely frequent billing change emails? Like... once every couple months. My rates generally are going down via the email but what the gently caress.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

keykey posted:

I completely missed the back story here. Wife or gf?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3808203&userid=171727

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

spog posted:

Pretty sweet pad, really

Like is $4000/mo in san francisco.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
What's the longest you guys have kept a car? Why did you keep it so long? Do you regret not moving on sooner?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I've had my truck for 8 years now. It's paid for, so I have no regret about keeping it so long.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

blk posted:

What's the longest you guys have kept a car? Why did you keep it so long? Do you regret not moving on sooner?

11 years, keeping it because it's MY WRX. Never for sale.

Or on the other hand, the RX7 I got in 1990 has swung back to me after every other family member had it........ so 27 years?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

blk posted:

Well, my red Panda 4x4 I got from my dad and that was my first car, so that probably counts as 20+ years. E30 is about 15 years. Both are on the "will never be sold, will never not be rebuilt" list, as are some of my dad's cars.

I don't regret not "moving on", because I just buy more cars, and don't sell ones I want to keep.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

blk posted:

'01 Mustang V6, 2005-2015.

Paid off, ran fine, didn't want to pay to replace it.

Not really. If I'd bought something sooner it would have been less of a car than what I did replace it with (2016 Mustang GT). Had this one for 18 months and still makes me giggle and grin like an idiot when I floor it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

blk posted:

2 years ish. why? cause rover. why is it gone? got hit head on. no regrets.

I've had a moto for 4 ish years. checked the right boxes at the time. no regrets.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

blk posted:

The TDI I've had since 2009, before that Dad owned it since 2002. I've bought it with around 60k miles, it's almost at 290k. 've thought about replacing it but financially it's just the perfect daily driver. Then there's the 77 320i that's been in the family since 78 except a couple years in the 90s when a neighbor owned it.

Longest motorcycle was the sv650 that I owned from 09 to sometime in 2014 and around 50k miles. That was a great bike I do sometimes regret selling.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

blk posted:

Does it count if it was kept in the family?

My parents bought the 1992 Jeep Cherokee I've got just before I was born. They gave it to me after the clutch crapped out.
So, 24 years I guess?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

blk posted:

'02 Focus bought in 2004, still own it and it's my current DD.

Kept it mostly because even as old as it is its still a very capable vehicle with decent (although waning) aftermarket support. Also I know it like the back of my hand and have done pretty much everything short of an engine swap, it's easy to maintain with a basic socket set with massive parts availability. Also it's the first car I bought myself and will probably keep until it either burns to the ground, gets totaled past the point of being economically feasible to repair or I die.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

I've had my e46 320d touring for 7 years. Bought it with 100k on it, it's now up to 198k. My criteria was a car that handled well, and was quick enough but still got good fuel economy when being driven hard. It fulfilled that role perfectly and I still love driving it today, but it's getting very tired.

It hasn't been too bad maintenance wise, but it now needs twice it's value spent on it to get it driving as it should again. It's getting sold or scrapped as I don't think it's worth putting it through another MOT - I would like to get a few more miles on it before it goes so I can say I put 100k on it.

I'll miss it when it's gone. I might even buy a e46 330i to replace it, I think that era is a high water mark for BMW.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

We had "family" cars growing up. Typically my grandparents would buy something and drive it for three years, then sell it to a family member. Who would give it to their kids, who would swap with cousins or sell to friends.

That's how I ended up with a 76 Continental as my first car, a 91 LeSabre later in HS and a 93 Deville in college. The first car I bought with my own money was a 91 Audi 100 Quattro.

I think the Continental ended up flipping it's 5 digit odo with a cousin, the LeSabre and Deville hit 300k in my immediate family, and the Audi hit 150k.

Since then I only keep cars for 3 or so years and drive less than 10k annually on them (living urban and traveling for business a lot).

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If we're allowed to bring "family" vehicles into it, I think Mooecow is going to win this one...

stump posted:

I'll miss it when it's gone. I might even buy a e46 330i to replace it
Yes, good idea. I do like the E46, it really felt like they learned their lessons from the E36, and - other than ~God drat cooling system~ and a couple of specific rust issues, they're very good.

stump posted:

I think that era is a high water mark for BMW.
If you can keep the water in them, you mean?

E30 3-series best 3 series. :colbert:

stump
Jan 19, 2006

InitialDave posted:

If we're allowed to bring "family" vehicles into it, I think Mooecow is going to win this one...

Yes, good idea. I do like the E46, it really felt like they learned their lessons from the E36, and - other than ~God drat cooling system~ and a couple of specific rust issues, they're very good.

If you can keep the water in them, you mean?

:v:

In almost 100k topped up the cooling system once, and changed a thermostat because it's was running cold. Never had any issues. Aside from the crank pulley falling off the drivetrain has never let me down. I think it is on its original clutch, which is fine but the dual mass flywheel rattles like a bitch.

My front wings edges are 100% rust, and I'm scared to take the plastic side skirts off. I imagine monsters may lie under there.

Always fancied an e30, never driven one sadly. Wish I had got one back when decent ones were cheap.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

05 Avalanche. Had it from 2007-2016, 25k-140k miles. It was just a good truck that did truck things, made me grin like an idiot when I mashed the loud pedal with its cheapo flowmaster super 44 muffler, had a metric fuckton of room to haul people and poo poo around. When I let it go, it needed a full suspension rebuild, the trans was slipping a bit, half the lights in the dash had gone out and it hadn't had a/c for 5 years. It also drank gas like a drunk spending his paycheck on cheap whiskey and I couldn't figure out what was causing it, was way impractical for what I used a vehicle for and just wasn't the vehicle I needed at this time. I still miss it and the bullshit way it would make me smile, but I don't regret selling it at all. It was a good truck and I wanna swap a 5.3 into something just because of how much I loved that piece of poo poo truck.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I have never had a vehicle last more than 2.5 years.

I've had at least two that only lasted 3 days.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

stump posted:

Always fancied an e30, never driven one sadly. Wish I had got one back when decent ones were cheap.
If you want a more affordable ID-approved car, buy a Saab with an Aero badge and a manual gearbox.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I've had my 94 Camry since 2008, as a hand me down from my grandparents/parents. It's only got 200k on it, so why get rid of it? That and student loans suck so I don't feel like more debt.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

InitialDave posted:

:hfive:

stump posted:

I've had my e46 320d touring for 7 years. Bought it with 100k on it, it's now up to 198k. My criteria was a car that handled well, and was quick enough but still got good fuel economy when being driven hard. It fulfilled that role perfectly and I still love driving it today, but it's getting very tired.
This is one car I'd love to swap out my TDI for. Really thinking about trying to import one of those engines (or smuggle it from :canada:) to put in a E30 sedan

Modern-ish diesel E30 daily driver is probably going to be my next :homebrew: project once the race car is finished and thoroughly track tested and dialed in. Sedan (ideal white or silver), modern inline 4 turbo diesel, cloth comfort interior with heated seats, high ratio (~2.9) lsd, sport suspension and the hard as hell to find extended range E30 fuel tank that I have in the attic.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Jesus Chirst, what's wrong with you man?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Oh, didn't realize we were listing mileage, too. 06 F150 with a V6, bought in 09 with 84,500 on the clock, now it's 237k and closing in on 238k.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

blk posted:

I've owned my white comanche, red cherokee, and military truck since 2010 and my blue comanche since 2011.

White MJ was only roadworthy 2010-2013, red XJ 2010-2014, even by my standards. The military truck and blue MJ have each been driveable for less than a year.

I will always own a justy, a military truck, a J truck, and a comanche. All others are temporary utility-only purchases and will be unloaded when they no longer serve a purpose.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I had a bone-stock povertyspec 2004 Ford Focus from 2007-2012. What can I say, it was cheap to drive. I finally gave up and scrapped it when two motor mounts poo poo the bed and it mulched the transmission in the same month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Liquid Communism posted:

I had a bone-stock povertyspec 2004 Ford Focus from 2007-2012. What can I say, it was cheap to drive. I finally gave up and scrapped it when two motor mounts poo poo the bed and it mulched the transmission in the same month.
You killed an MTX75 with a standard engine? I'm impressed.

• Locked thread