Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hey now that cognac locker won't stock itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It's desperate times indeed when 'managing to hold seats in by elections' is seen as a form of success. Isn't it something like 40 years since an opposition party failed to do this?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

kingturnip posted:

'Labour insider's are like 'compassionate Tories' - inventions of the press.
Labour insider? I barely knew 'er!

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Fangz posted:

Whereas you feel the other way round, I guess/

I mainly feel annoyance that this is always the narrative and people seem oblivious to the fact that if the result is a no-win scenario for the leadership then the reporting of it is essentially meaningless.

Contrast with this article in the Mirror alleging that UKIP are 'secretly afraid of winning' in Stoke because a loss would actually be better in the long term.

Any result is bad for Labour, any result is good for UKIP. The narrative is already written, reality is irrelevant.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
When you're in opposition, contesting a seat you already hold in a by-election, there isn't a 'good result' - only an expected one at best.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

When you're in opposition, contesting a seat you already hold in a by-election, there isn't a 'good result' - only an expected one at best.

I agree but wouldn't you agree that the moronic chicken littling by the Labour right is partly responsible for Corbyn supporters viewing each by election defence as a vindication of his leadership? Just look at Oldham, which was a very easy Labour defence and should have been presented as exactly that, but the Labour right and their pals in the media spent the whole time telling us that UKIP were going to win and the by election was a referendum on Corbyn, so when Labour racked up 60% of the vote they looked incredibly loving stupid and Corbyn looked like he'd won a big victory. Same thing in the council elections where they claimed Labour was going to lose hundreds of seats. As bad as Corbyn is as politics, they're worse and they have lovely views on top of that.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
If Blair promised not to follow America into any more wars would you have him back?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not sure I really want a man who believes that god talks to him and tells him what to do in charge of anything.

Much less would I believe anything he promised.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Guavanaut posted:

I hate the tendency of the press to describe any incidence of an expert correcting public opinion as 'condescending', but Blair is not an expert and he did sound condescending about the Brexit thing.

If we did have some actually charismatic economists or sociologists in the public sphere that would be a good thing. Like a Brian Cox of not loving yourself over just so that your immigrant neighbor is hosed over slightly more, or a Neil deGrasse Tyson of actually systemic effects do exist and just because you're not racist doesn't mean you don't unconsciously exploit dynamics.
It needed to be said though didnt it, basically 'you were all too stupid to understand what you were voting for' and he can get away with it because he isnt anyones MP right?

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 19, 2017

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Would it be better to have brexit and ten more years of tories, but not take part in another middle eastern war, or to have another middle eastern war but overturn brexit and put labour in power for a decade?

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Im not an apologist for that guy he has simply said something that needed to be said in a public way, might actually make something happen, doubt it but you never know.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

jabby posted:

I mainly feel annoyance that this is always the narrative and people seem oblivious to the fact that if the result is a no-win scenario for the leadership then the reporting of it is essentially meaningless.

Contrast with this article in the Mirror alleging that UKIP are 'secretly afraid of winning' in Stoke because a loss would actually be better in the long term.

Any result is bad for Labour, any result is good for UKIP. The narrative is already written, reality is irrelevant.

Well, duh. But what do you think?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

hakimashou posted:

If Blair promised not to follow America into any more wars would you have him back?

gently caress no, following America into wars is the only thing we've got left, otherwise we'll rot and die on this island forgotten and unmourned. At least if we're sucking their knob we might get some table scraps.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

jabby posted:

To be honest, if Nuttall wins, he almost certainly will be up in election court for the whole 65 Oxford Street affair (if not for false statements on the nomination form, possibly for false statements about his personal character). A protracted court case that runs the risk of the UKIP leader being disqualified and banned from holding elected office would definitely not be in their best interests.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pissflaps posted:

Do you have any evidence that 'new labour members energised the ground game' or are you just assuming that this is a thing that happened?

Given labour's utter capitulation in the face of the article 50 vote I really don't know what you were expecting labour to do in front of this open goal. Spend even more time agreeing with the Tories?

Eh, I get the thinking behind the three-line whip but it's a hell of a time for Corbyn to start remembering party discipline is a thing. Also even if it was absolutely 100% the right thing to do as part of a wider strategy, he must surely have known that quite a few people would defy it and now he ends up just looking even weaker and less in control of the party.

Realistically once we got to this point I don't think there actually is a winning strategy, in any meaningful terms. Someone with better political chops might be able to use this as a leaping-off point to a series of attacks on every last thing that comes out of the negotiations and hope that this can be used to force another referendum (or maybe even a whole GE) to head it off, and I don't think Corbyn - or indeed anyone in the PLP - has those chops, in the face of an almost universally hostile press.

loving hell at this point Corbyn is so unpopular probably the best thing he can do to head off Brexit is come out enthusiastically for it and appear on Strictly doing a tango with Nigel Farage.

Carborundum
Feb 21, 2013

hakimashou posted:

Would it be better to have brexit and ten more years of tories, but not take part in another middle eastern war, or to have another middle eastern war but overturn brexit and put labour in power for a decade?

Can't we have both?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Guavanaut posted:

I hate the tendency of the press to describe any incidence of an expert correcting public opinion as 'condescending', but Blair is not an expert and he did sound condescending about the Brexit thing.

If we did have some actually charismatic economists or sociologists in the public sphere that would be a good thing. Like a Brian Cox of not loving yourself over just so that your immigrant neighbor is hosed over slightly more, or a Neil deGrasse Tyson of actually systemic effects do exist and just because you're not racist doesn't mean you don't unconsciously exploit dynamics.

I don't think there's much crossover between 'charismatic people' and 'economists' tbqh

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

ThomasPaine posted:

I don't think there's much crossover between 'charismatic people' and 'economists' tbqh

What are you talking about?

He's like Doctor Who with his glasses and yelling about stuff that sounds sort of plausible enough but has little bearing to the real world.

Excellent! Although I guess this means soon reality will be replacing Charlie Brooker media productions, just as it did Armando Iannucci.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

namesake posted:

He's like Doctor Who with his glasses and yelling about stuff that sounds sort of plausible enough but has little bearing to the real world.
Pesto basically single handedly destroyed Northern Rock lol

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

jBrereton posted:

Pesto basically single handedly destroyed Northern Rock lol

[citation needed]

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

Brexit is a really bad idea and we don't have to do it so I guess I basically agree with Tony Blair.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
We are having. a red. white. and blue. Brexit. :mad:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mostly blue though

almost all blue
100% blue

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Mostly blue though

almost all blue
100% blue

'd have guessed most of the emphasis would have been on white more than anything else.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

forkboy84 posted:

'd have guessed most of the emphasis would have been on white more than anything else.

Most of Europe is white as gently caress though so it kind of begs the question, are the racist brexiteers going to be happy once they realise that most of the immigrants they didn't want actually come from outside the EU?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Pochoclo posted:

Most of Europe is white as gently caress though so it kind of begs the question, are the racist brexiteers going to be happy once they realise that most of the immigrants they didn't want actually come from outside the EU?

Eh there is a substantial amount of xenophobia against people who actually are from Eastern Europe as they're able to bring enough of home with them (shops, goods, language) to freak out the bigots.

Naturally if the Polish shops close and then the high street empties then they'll still blame immigrants somehow.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Pochoclo posted:

They'll just move on to the next bogeyman.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

hakimashou posted:

The former, definitely. Unless you believe that one Christian life is worth a thousand Mohammedans.

Britain is a comparatively privileged country, and much as the Tories want to keep that wealth out of the hands of the greater public, Britain could still maintain a better standard of living going it alone than Jordan (or whichever Middle Eastern country we haven't attacked in a while) would under a barrage of missiles.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

That's kinda a dumb dilemma because at this rate we'll have Brexit and be part of Trump's coalition of the willing for Operation Make Iran Great Again.

(I also don't think British participation matters much at all to how these middle east interventions turn out, including Iraq, but I don't think that's a worthwhile debate)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Why is the Guardian hyping Dianne Abbott so much, is she about to challenge for leadership or something?

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
Don't worry too much about another Iraq - the relentless defence cuts since 2003 mean it would be literally impossible to contribute in that way again.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

learnincurve posted:

Why is the Guardian hyping Dianne Abbott so much, is she about to challenge for leadership or something?

Hey, maybe Corbyn's faction is actually deploying some media strategy to hype up its key members for once.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

mediadave posted:

Don't worry too much about another Iraq - the relentless defence cuts since 2003 mean it would be literally impossible to contribute in that way again.

Plus Iran has a much larger, much more enthused, army and a terrain that is great for strategic defence. Only way America is taking Tehran is with nuclear weapons and Russia might have something to say about America nuking their ally.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Iran barely spends anything on its military, don't buy into the Israeli hype.

I doubt Trump will attack them but who knows.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

jBrereton posted:

They don't need to spend much when they have numbers and terrain.

They're not using bows and arrows yaknow.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Fangz posted:

That's kinda a dumb dilemma because at this rate we'll have Brexit and be part of Trump's coalition of the willing for Operation Make Iran Great Again.

(I also don't think British participation matters much at all to how these middle east interventions turn out, including Iraq, but I don't think that's a worthwhile debate)

British involvement in Libya recently and Egypt historically have been important and influential but you're right about desert storm not really being our problem in the way the holocaust wasn't really the quisling's problem

god I love saying quisling

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fangz posted:

That "and" should probably be stressed. If we stay in the EU we will probably be part of future American adventures in the Middle East anyway. If we leave, it will be certain because we'll be beholden to the US. We may as well stay rich.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

jBrereton posted:

There are more sources than Israel. Iran has a much stronger army than Iraq. Afganistan's military was basically none existent. It also has all the command structure problems that plague all Arabic militaries.

The country would be a fortress and would be attacked like a fortress. The Americans would win easily but they would do so with massive strikes on population centres. Way higher civilian casualties than Iraq. Anyone who wants a war with Iran is either ignorant or actively blood thirsty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

I genuinely don't even know why American foreign policy ghouls have it in for Iran. Perhaps they don't know either and it's just some grudge they inherited from the Bush years. I mean, I know they pretty much lust for brown death, but the special hard-on of hate they have for Iran is just kind of perverse even by their standards.

• Locked thread