Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I wonder how samey their personalities will be. One of the subtle things I liked about the ME series was the different VO takes on the character. Meer was more straight-laced boy scout while Hale's Shepard did on give a gently caress even when playing the Paragon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Mymla posted:

For alien characters I think it's super weird to have gender restricted romances. If you want to gently caress Garrus or Tali, you're a xenophile before you're gay or straight, and the same goes for them.
The problem here is that aliens in the ME Milky Way galaxy -- and maybe across the ME universe itself -- conform very much towards gendered identities and biology. They refer to themselves and each other as men and women, they use and maintain gendered pronouns and titles, and (as far as romanceable species go) they resemble comparably-human standards of sexual dimorphism. Even their voices are recognizably gendered. The closest we get to bucking these trends is with Liara calling herself monogendered, but that's frankly a very misleading moniker because the Asari are basically the most observably-gendered species in the whole franchise.

It's completely conceivable for straight men and lesbians to be attracted to characters like Liara and Tali, because they are women by any pertinent definition of the term. It's very unrealistic for straight women and gay men to feel the same.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

So to try and give some alternative discussion, does anyone think it's odd how we're one month away from launch but we've seen relatively little of this game compared to others?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
No, no one has ever said this.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

DancingShade posted:

I took this gun. Now give me your alien technology that can fix my faaaaaaaace

Pay attention to the

Hedrigall posted:

Talking of space girlfriends, devs confirmed on twitter that Vetra is romanceable... but not by who.

At this point she's developed such a huge fandom that it's going to go nuclear unless she ends up bisexual. I don't know who the more volatile subsection of fans would be if they can't have Vetra: the Reddit straight males or the Tumblr lesbians.

its the straight males, they're far more vitriolic and awful

Everyone is fuckable and they even ask which pronouns they want you to use each time

neonbregna fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 19, 2017

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

The problem here is that aliens in the ME Milky Way galaxy -- and maybe across the ME universe itself -- conform very much towards gendered identities and biology. They refer to themselves and each other as men and women, they use and maintain gendered pronouns and titles, and (as far as romanceable species go) they resemble comparably-human standards of sexual dimorphism. Even their voices are recognizably gendered. The closest we get to bucking these trends is with Liara calling herself monogendered, but that's frankly a very misleading moniker because the Asari are basically the most observably-gendered species in the whole franchise.

It's completely conceivable for straight men and lesbians to be attracted to characters like Liara and Tali, because they are women by any pertinent definition of the term. It's very unrealistic for straight women and gay men to feel the same.

Source your quotes

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Skippy McPants posted:

I wonder how samey their personalities will be. One of the subtle things I liked about the ME series was the different VO takes on the character. Meer was more straight-laced boy scout while Hale's Shepard did on give a gently caress even when playing the Paragon.

That is something they've commented on: Scott and Sara have different base personalities, because the one you don't play will be a character on the ship to talk to. So the difference between Meer and Hale would be more pronounced here because the equivalent opposite gender twin is actually present. Imagine if Hale-Shep and Meer-Shep were actually both on the Normandy and the one you're not playing got to hang around with the one you were.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

marshmallow creep posted:

That is something they've commented on: Scott and Sara have different base personalities, because the one you don't play will be a character on the ship to talk to. So the difference between Meer and Hale would be more pronounced here because the equivalent opposite gender twin is actually present. Imagine if Hale-Shep and Meer-Shep were actually both on the Normandy and the one you're not playing got to hang around with the one you were.

I would go gently caress myself :colbert:

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Bioware doesn't pander enough to their players? Now I've heard everything!

neonbregna posted:

Source your quotes

BrianWilly is entirely correct here.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Fangz posted:

Kaidan is way better in ME3.

Wouldn't know, I always let him die in ME1.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Flatscan posted:

I usually do, too. Shame that Kaidan is a much better squadmate in ME3 than Ashley. Ashley's thing is being tougher but less damaging than Garrus, more damaging but not as tough as Vega, and her skill set is mostly a copy/paste of Zaeed. She's not bad if you can give her something like the particle rifle or especially the typhoon, but Kaidan is a tech/biotic monster who has assault rifles to boot.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Flatscan posted:

He comes back and whines at you for the second game in a row about how Cerberus is evil and you're evil and can he please have his old job back?

He got to sit in his room for the rest of the game.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Cythereal posted:

I usually do, too. Shame that Kaidan is a much better squadmate in ME3 than Ashley. Ashley's thing is being tougher but less damaging than Garrus, more damaging but not as tough as Vega, and her skill set is mostly a copy/paste of Zaeed. She's not bad if you can give her something like the particle rifle or especially the typhoon, but Kaidan is a tech/biotic monster who has assault rifles to boot.

And in 1.0.4 they broke her unique power so that if she uses it her AI breaks and she just stands there doing nothing until it expires.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I think it'd be really cool if romancing characters was thrown out the loving airlock because not everyone needs to be attracted to everyone at all god damned times and it will never not be cringey.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
who will fill the void in my life if not a seven feet tall bug lady from space

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

The character kits for Sara and Scott got updated based on people's feedback:

Comparison (left is new, right is old)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

What a difference some shading and shadows makes.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

i want to have sex with new sara ryder

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
That brings to mind a good way Bioware could piss off the grogs that they will never, ever do: if you play as Sarah, MRyder starts dating and eventually marries a male NPC.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Cythereal posted:

That brings to mind a good way Bioware could piss off the grogs that they will never, ever do: if you play as Sarah, MRyder starts dating and eventually marries a male NPC.

If you play as male Ryder and start a relationship with a woman, your sister is all "Wait, hold on, I thought you were gay?"

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
I wish you could have cuckolded Seth Green

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

steakmancer posted:

I wish you could have cuckolded Seth Green

"oh you interested? yeah I already took that dryer for a spin if you know what im saying..." :smug: *nudge*

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Mymla posted:

People have really dumb opinions about BG2, because they played it when they were 14.

A lot of people have played Baldur's Gate 2 as adults and still enjoy the characters, story, and setting.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

I said come in! posted:

A lot of people have played Baldur's Gate 2 as adults and still enjoy the characters, story, and setting.

i'm sorry to hear that

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MadBimber posted:

dude just leave this thread and come back to bf1. this is gonna be a mediocre but guilty pleasure game

i can do multiple things at once!!! im playing eso right now and taking a bf1 break till the DLC

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
I wish they made a good dnd game in TYOOL 201X

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
While it still is far from perfect, I think Inquisition is the Bioware game that handled romance and and your companions' sexuality the best so far.
In several cases it ties into their personality, which gives at least an illusion of depth. Dorian, as mentioned, has his sexuality as an essential part of his arc, Solas is a racist, Bull comes from a culture with a totally different perspective on sex, and Cassandra has a thing for traditional romance. Then on the other side of the coin you have Sera, where her being a lesbian matters not one bit, and Josephine who doesn't even mention neither gender nor race, which is a bit lazy.
That the different options don't follow the exact same pattern of flirting until you bang in the cutscene before the final mission is a very good thing, and one that gives a bit of meaningful variety to the relationships.

Outside of Bioware the game that best handled companion characters in terms of sexuality is Fallout New Vegas. Because in that case it wasn't there for the player.
It was just part of their character, not a restriction saying that you have to be a woman to bang the birdman.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I really like Cassandra as a character, because on the one hand, she's a strong female Warrior. But she's also the most open to different points of view, and can usually be convinced that whatever course of action you're taking is a good and justified one. She's also got vices and kinks, and is very human underneath the 'proper' exterior that she tries to maintain.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Lt. Danger posted:

says what academic source

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Cythereal posted:

I'd enjoy canonically gender-fluid, pansexual Ryder. It would cause lots of rage.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

steakmancer posted:

I wish they made a good dnd game in TYOOL 201X

They did, it's called XCOM Enemy Unknown.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Fangz posted:

Seriously, if they just released a reskin of that game but with Fighter, Rogue, Cleric and Mage classes and gave people swords, bows and magic, you'd have one of the best DnD games in ages. Hell, keep the guns and just set in a Renaissance period a la Pillars of Eternity.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Fangz posted:

They're actually called Pillars of Eternity and Tyranny.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Why do all the female chars look kinda strange and hosed up compared to the male chars?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Seriously, if they just released a reskin of that game but with Fighter, Rogue, Cleric and Mage classes and gave people swords, bows and magic, you'd have one of the best DnD games in ages. Hell, keep the guns and just set in a Renaissance period a la Pillars of Eternity.

I was hugely disappointed in Massive Chalice because I wanted it to be fantasy XCOM and instead we got, well, what we got. D&D 4e was perfectly designed to be a turn-based tactical combat game and they just failed to capitalize on that.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Lt. Danger posted:

Bioware doesn't pander enough to their players? Now I've heard everything!

I agree which is why I want to know the source so I can join this hive mind instead of the cisgendered filth that is here.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

neonbregna posted:

I agree which is why I want to know the source so I can join this hive mind instead of the cisgendered filth that is here.

I'm not really sure what your objection is, perhaps you should clearly state that first.

Because "Mass Effect has aliens that aren't very alien and mostly conform to our own concepts of gender, even the ones that are supposedly monogendered" is one of the least controversial statements I can think of.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'm not really sure what your objection is, perhaps you should clearly state that first.

Because "Mass Effect has aliens that aren't very alien and mostly conform to our own concepts of gender, even the ones that are supposedly monogendered" is one of the least controversial statements I can think of.

Well, "asari are loving awful" has been a constant from ME1 on and I'd be very disappointed, though not at all surprised, if PeeBee is left as the token romance for queer Sarah Ryder.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Cythereal posted:

Well, "asari are loving awful" has been a constant from ME1 on and I'd be very disappointed, though not at all surprised, if PeeBee is left as the token romance for queer Sarah Ryder.

It would on the other hand be an amazing twist if she turned out to be the Varric of Andromeda.
Actually a good character, and not at all a romance option. Just imagine all the sweet rage pouring from the pubbies as they realise they can't gently caress the blue spacebabe. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

quote:

Crackseed ‏@dacrackseed
Just wondering how the swapping works for example. 3 slots but potential 12 skills total, how do we swap them - hotkey faves?

Michael GambleV‏ @gamblemike
yup, and off of the radial menu option

Wasn't sure the radial menu was going to be used for powers at all at this point.

quote:

oo GALAXY oo @galaxyshimmers
Please tell me that color customization for our armor is returning. Please tell me that. Please. lol

Ian S. Frazier ‏@tibermoon
It is indeed. And now you can customize the colors on your casual outfits as well. #space #stylinandprofilin

That's something at least.

quote:

Luke Mallia ‏@drknockers05
Sooooo there was a gun that fired lightning in the gameplay trailer, right? Or am I just fantasising? 😉
Super hyped for ME:A!

Ian S. Frazier ‏@tibermoon
Good eye! That's the Reegar Carbine, aka "the lightning flamethrower shotgun."

A favorite returns!

And more Todd McFarlane toys:

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 19, 2017